Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Samsung Galaxy S5 Wi-Fi Connectivity Problems After 4.4.4 Update

ACE - Professor

Samsung Galaxy S5 Wi-Fi Connectivity Problems After 4.4.4 Update

My Galaxy S5 has had no connectivity issues at all.  This morning I installed the 4.4.4 update and immediately began having wi-fi connectivity issues.  The S5 keeps dropping the connection and then reconnecting.  This is constant. 

Obviously, the signal was strong enough and constant enough that I was able to download the 487 MB update with no connectivity problems whatsoever.  Now, however, when I check Wi-Fi networks, I note the S5 is constantly scanning.  Is that normal? 

None of the other devices using Wi-Fi on this home network are experiencing connectivity issues, including a netbook, a tablet, and a Kindle Paperwhite e-reader.  According to the S5, the signal is "strong," yet it continues to drop and then reconnect. 

I have tried the S5 on other networks and the same problem exists.  Others are experiencing the same problem after installing 4.4.4.  Unfortunately, a number of us posted in an earlier topic, which had been marked solved; therefore, our posts may likely go unnoticed. 

http://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung-Discussion-Support/Galaxy-S5-WiFi-keeps-dropping-and-reconnecting/m...

Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 1 of 179
Contributor

Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Wi-Fi Connectivity Problems After 4.4.4 Update

I am having the exact same issue with my s5 after installing the update last night. I have to turn off wifi and can't use some of my apps. The 4G network is obviously not going to work as a permanent solution for me.
Message 2 of 179
Contributor

I am having the same issue..

Message 3 of 179
Contributor

I'm having the same issue, losing my WiFi connection repeatedly and severe battery drain. However, I just checked and my S5 is still running 4.4.2, so it's not just the latest OS. Turning off smart switching at least seems to be keeping the connection active, but I don't want to lose the ability to automatically connect to other networks. I was forced to ditch my S4 because of a software glitch. If this happens again, Bye-bye Samsung and possibly (gulp) Android.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 179
Contributor

I'm having the same issue. I contacted AT&T and they are trying to tell me that they are not aware of this glitch. Y please contact AT&T so that they are able to troubleshoot this problem and develop a fix for it. If we do not call they will not fix it
Message 5 of 179
Contributor

I too have been having this issue. I restarted my phone, I've restarted the router, but it keeps dropping the wifi connection. It says "Ready to Connect when network quality imporves".  I did not have this issue with the previous OS.

Message 6 of 179
Contributor

I'm having the same problem too!!  Plus there is more of lag when opening apps. I was having the wifi connectivity issue at work and home and it only started after I did the update. I should have left well enough alone... I turned off the Smart Switch and that DOES seem to keep the connection but this is not a good solution!  I'll be calling AT&T this weekend to complain... 

Message 7 of 179
Contributor

I am also having this same issue. Started immediately after the update. and I do mean immediate.

Please do not group this glitch as individual to one person this is happening to a lot of people and a lot of people I know personally. 

Please correct!!!

Message 8 of 179
Contributor

Also having the exact same issue. However, I don't think I've yet upgraded to 4.4.4, my About Device still shows 4.4.2 But this problem started yesterday when I woke up, up until now it had never happened before, and the only fix was to turn off smart network switching.

Message 9 of 179
Voyager

I'm having the same wifi connectivity issues after performing the 4.4.4 update yesterday. 

AT&T/Samsung,

Please acknoledge this issue and provide some assistence.  Even a work around would be helpful until the problem is solved.  The intermitent wifi connectivity will force more 4G data useage on my plan, which is strained already.  As a customer I find it unacceptable for me to pay a data overage charge because of a techical issue that exists in an update you provide. 

Thanks,

Message 10 of 179
Contributor

I am having the same issues, chatting with a ATT rep now.

Message 11 of 179
Contributor

Same issue here.  WIFI connects and drops about 30 seconds later, at home and at work.

Message 12 of 179
Contributor

Same exact issue here guys but still on the older OS (4.4.2)... This is unreal.. And I noticed now that my data is spiking as well so the issue is not just effecting WiFi but Data as well. It big culprits seem to be "Google Services" and "Android OS" with the most data (and WiFi) use. I as well have tried shutting off the "Smart Network" switch which does seem to stop the phone from connecting/disconnecting etc.

I am running the following:

Samsung Galaxy S5

Android OS: 4.4.2

Baseband Ver: G900AUCU2AND3

Kernal Ver: 3.4.0-964333 (dpi@SWDD5009 #1)

Build Number: KOT49H.G900AUCU2AND3

I dont know if any of this helps but you can bet I will be calling AT&T regarding this..

Additionally, I have noticed that the last few times the phone tried to update anything OS (or AT&T?) related, it gets to about 32% and then reboots and says "Update Failed" ...

I wonder if this is related?

T

Message 13 of 179
ACE - Expert

has anyone tried forgetting the network and then reconnecting and putting the password back in?  I had the problem here at work after an update on my n6 and this fixed worked.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 14 of 179
Voyager

I have been having the same issue since yesterday.Wifi drops and reconnects every 30 sec. This happens on both my home and office networks. Also my battery is draining about every 4-5 hours, and the phone is constantly running hot.

I have not upgaded, still running 4.4.2

Please help

Message 15 of 179
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support