For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Lilybell2's profile
ACE - Professor

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

Friday, February 6th, 2015 6:57 AM

Samsung Galaxy S5 Wi-Fi Connectivity Problems After 4.4.4 Update

My Galaxy S5 has had no connectivity issues at all.  This morning I installed the 4.4.4 update and immediately began having wi-fi connectivity issues.  The S5 keeps dropping the connection and then reconnecting.  This is constant. 

Obviously, the signal was strong enough and constant enough that I was able to download the 487 MB update with no connectivity problems whatsoever.  Now, however, when I check Wi-Fi networks, I note the S5 is constantly scanning.  Is that normal? 

None of the other devices using Wi-Fi on this home network are experiencing connectivity issues, including a netbook, a tablet, and a Kindle Paperwhite e-reader.  According to the S5, the signal is "strong," yet it continues to drop and then reconnect. 

I have tried the S5 on other networks and the same problem exists.  Others are experiencing the same problem after installing 4.4.4.  Unfortunately, a number of us posted in an earlier topic, which had been marked solved; therefore, our posts may likely go unnoticed. 

http://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung-Discussion-Support/Galaxy-S5-WiFi-keeps-dropping-and-reconnecting/m-p/4190686#M2825

Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

@Morris_GDL wrote:

I found a solution. The problem is with the "Smart Net Change". Uncheck the box at top of WiFi option and voalá!

As many of you, my problems begun whit the last software update in May 8 2015. With this action, the S5 keep the WiFi connection. Of course is not the best, but is good until Samsung solve the bug.

I think you probably meant to say uncheck the "Smart Network Switch."  Yes, that does help in most cases. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I'm not an AT&T subscriber (sorry) but am still having wifi connection issues.  Just upgraded the OS on my Samsung 5 hoping it would fix the issues but it's even worse now.

my phone is constantly scanning for a wifi connection (battery drain) and even when it finds a wifi connection (i.e., at work) it keeps dropping the connection, even though my work wifi is a securem, password-protected connection for which I have direct access.

How do I fix this?  It's so frustrating!  I wind up restarting the phone several times before the wifi connection 'sticks'.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

@juditerosa wrote:

I'm not an AT&T subscriber (sorry) but am still having wifi connection issues.  Just upgraded the OS on my Samsung 5 hoping it would fix the issues but it's even worse now.

my phone is constantly scanning for a wifi connection (battery drain) and even when it finds a wifi connection (i.e., at work) it keeps dropping the connection, even though my work wifi is a securem, password-protected connection for which I have direct access.

How do I fix this?  It's so frustrating!  I wind up restarting the phone several times before the wifi connection 'sticks'.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Make sure that "Smart Network Switch" is unchecked.  Settings > WiFi > uncheck Smart Network Switch.

Also, wipe your phone's cache partition.  Doing so will not delete your data, it will just clear out the cache, and that alone often resolves many problems:  Turn off your phone then simultaneously depress and hold three buttons... the volume UP, the home, and the power buttons.  Hold these three buttons in until you see small blue or green writing in the upper left corner, then release the buttons.  Use the volume up/down buttons to select "wipe cache" or "wipe cache partition."  (Do NOT select any other option!)  Depress the power key to activate your selection and reboot your phone.  The process will complete very quickly, probably no more than a minute or so from start to finish.   

There's a very informative article here regarding Lollipop post-update issues and solutions.  It includes the instructions for wiping the cache partition and other good advice as well.  I've found it to be very helpful.   

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

cache trick didn't work either.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

It is NOT the Smart Network Switch. I have not had this on and still have the problem of constant scanning and reconnecting to the home network. I've tried shutting down and replacing the battery - no effect. Have tried forgetting the network and reconnecting - no effect. 

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

@kevindc wrote:

It is NOT the Smart Network Switch. I have not had this on and still have the problem of constant scanning and reconnecting to the home network. I've tried shutting down and replacing the battery - no effect. Have tried forgetting the network and reconnecting - no effect. 

It is true that deselecting the "Smart Network Switch" will not stop the constant scanning, and it will not stop all of the dropping and reconnecting.  However, you will not be wasting your data, which is what will occur if you leave "Smart Network Switch" selected as each time the connection is dropped, it will automatically switch over to using your data. 

As annoying as the scanning and disconnecting/reconnecting is, it's less frequent with that option unchecked, and it won't be wasting your data. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I also have same problem with constant scanning every 3 to 4 seconds. Phone is looking at other items listed in wifi network as it will change status and order if other devices not being used. I also have a problem with Chromecast keeping a signal as it drops due to changes from the scanning. I have wiped cache partition, did a factory reset, all boxes under advance settings are unchecked, and also unchecked smart network switch. Did I LeAve any fix out? STILL HAVE PROBLEM. I have spent hours on phone with my Internet provider, samsung, and my cellular provider. So, now what?

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

@Samsungscan wrote:
I also have same problem with constant scanning every 3 to 4 seconds. Phone is looking at other items listed in wifi network as it will change status and order if other devices not being used. I also have a problem with Chromecast keeping a signal as it drops due to changes from the scanning. I have wiped cache partition, did a factory reset, all boxes under advance settings are unchecked, and also unchecked smart network switch. Did I LeAve any fix out? STILL HAVE PROBLEM. I have spent hours on phone with my Internet provider, samsung, and my cellular provider. So, now what?

To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing that can be done to stop the incessant scanning.  It's inherent in the device itself.  By deselecting the smart network switch, you should at least prevent your device from wasting data by constantly switching over to your cellular network each time it erroneously detects a loss of WiFi connectivity. 

It's my opinion that the scanning issue will only be resolved when I replace my smartphone.  The replacement will be neither carrier branded nor will it be a Samsung. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

This is bull. Definately going back to iphone when i can  I just got new wifi in house and my s5 recognizes wifi but does not hook up. Angry. Now that I have cleared up my bad words may I post, god of phones?

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

@Galaxys5problem wrote:

This is bull. Definately going back to iphone when i can  I just got new wifi in house and my s5 recognizes wifi but does not hook up. Angry. Now that I have cleared up my bad words may I post, god of phones?

Did you go to Settings > WiFI and select your new network from the list, then key in the new WiFi network's password in the appropriate field and then click on "connect?" 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.