For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Lilybell2's profile
ACE - Professor

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

Friday, February 6th, 2015 6:57 AM

Samsung Galaxy S5 Wi-Fi Connectivity Problems After 4.4.4 Update

My Galaxy S5 has had no connectivity issues at all.  This morning I installed the 4.4.4 update and immediately began having wi-fi connectivity issues.  The S5 keeps dropping the connection and then reconnecting.  This is constant. 

Obviously, the signal was strong enough and constant enough that I was able to download the 487 MB update with no connectivity problems whatsoever.  Now, however, when I check Wi-Fi networks, I note the S5 is constantly scanning.  Is that normal? 

None of the other devices using Wi-Fi on this home network are experiencing connectivity issues, including a netbook, a tablet, and a Kindle Paperwhite e-reader.  According to the S5, the signal is "strong," yet it continues to drop and then reconnect. 

I have tried the S5 on other networks and the same problem exists.  Others are experiencing the same problem after installing 4.4.4.  Unfortunately, a number of us posted in an earlier topic, which had been marked solved; therefore, our posts may likely go unnoticed. 

http://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung-Discussion-Support/Galaxy-S5-WiFi-keeps-dropping-and-reconnecting/m-p/4190686#M2825

Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I'm having the same wifi connectivity issues after performing the 4.4.4 update yesterday. 

AT&T/Samsung,

Please acknoledge this issue and provide some assistence.  Even a work around would be helpful until the problem is solved.  The intermitent wifi connectivity will force more 4G data useage on my plan, which is strained already.  As a customer I find it unacceptable for me to pay a data overage charge because of a techical issue that exists in an update you provide. 

Thanks,

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I am having the same issues, chatting with a ATT rep now.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Same issue here.  WIFI connects and drops about 30 seconds later, at home and at work.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Same exact issue here guys but still on the older OS (4.4.2)... This is unreal.. And I noticed now that my data is spiking as well so the issue is not just effecting WiFi but Data as well. It big culprits seem to be "Google Services" and "Android OS" with the most data (and WiFi) use. I as well have tried shutting off the "Smart Network" switch which does seem to stop the phone from connecting/disconnecting etc.

I am running the following:

Samsung Galaxy S5

Android OS: 4.4.2

Baseband Ver: G900AUCU2AND3

Kernal Ver: 3.4.0-964333 (dpi@SWDD5009 #1)

Build Number: KOT49H.G900AUCU2AND3

I dont know if any of this helps but you can bet I will be calling AT&T regarding this..

Additionally, I have noticed that the last few times the phone tried to update anything OS (or AT&T?) related, it gets to about 32% and then reboots and says "Update Failed" ...

I wonder if this is related?

T

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

has anyone tried forgetting the network and then reconnecting and putting the password back in?  I had the problem here at work after an update on my n6 and this fixed worked.  

Voyager

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I have been having the same issue since yesterday.Wifi drops and reconnects every 30 sec. This happens on both my home and office networks. Also my battery is draining about every 4-5 hours, and the phone is constantly running hot.

I have not upgaded, still running 4.4.2

Please help

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Same isues as everyone else is describing, but I am still showing 4.4.2.

Doesn't matter if its home or work wifi.

Data spike.

Battery drain.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I am having the exact same issue and it started yesterday 02/05. Even before I received the notification that there was an OS upgrade, then when I tried to complete the upgrade my connection was bouncing so much it didn't complete it. So I am still on the 4.4.2. Tried the previous fixes and nothing seemed to help. Did shut off the Smart Network Switch for now but hate that I now have to go in and switch to saved locations when I travel to them. My battery has drained by 20% in 2 hours a the phone has been sitting on the counter. This issue is very frustrating and needs to be resolved.mo

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I tried that as well. Forgot the network, reconnected, and unless I have Smart network switch turned off, it will connect, then disconnect about 30 seconds later.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I just had the following chat with Samsung Tech support.  They say a factory reset is required to resovle the issue.  I may try it this weekend.  If someone does perform the resest then please respond on here.  You might might save some folks the trouble if it doesnt' work.  Good luck all!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Christopher'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK1125603082707X

Christopher: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Kevin: wifi connectivity after the 4.4.4 update

Christopher: I read that you are unable to connect your device to Wi-FI after you update your device to 4.4.4 update. Is that correct?

Kevin: Yes, it connects and disconnects repeatedly.

Christopher: Thank you for the confirmation.

Christopher: May I ask you a few questions to assist you better?

Kevin: sure

Christopher: May I know the model number of your phone ? You can find the model number beneath the phone's battery which generally starts with SM, SGH, SCH or SPH .

Christopher: You can also find model number in Apps >> Settings >> General(More) >> About device.

Kevin: Isn't there a known issue? I've read several blogs stating identical problems. Is there a solution?

Christopher: Let me see what be st I can do for you to resolve the issue.

Christopher: Please let me know the model number of your device.

Kevin: SM-G900A

Christopher: Are you experiencing this issue after installing any third party application on your phone?

Kevin: No.

Christopher: Is the issue with your device Intermittent or regular?

Kevin: It cycles from wifi to 4G about every 30 seconds and seems to be constantly scanning for wifi. It drains the battery and I suspect my 4G data usage has increased as of a result as well. This is well documented in blogs and I know it's an issue with the 4.4.4 update.

Kevin: If there's not a solution maybe there's a temporary work around?

Christopher: Let us try performing your device in Safe mode.

Christopher: Shall we go ahead?

Kevin: Is this the first you've heard of this problem?

Christopher: I have handled this issue prior. But, most of the time it will resolve the issue.

Christopher: Let us check with all the possible steps.

Kevin: OK.

Christopher: 1) Power the device off (remove and re-insert the battery).

Christopher: 2) Press and hold the Power key.

Christopher: 3) When the device vibrates; release the Power key and immediately hold down the Volume Down key

Christopher: 4)  

Christopher: Keep pressing the Volume down key until the device boots up completely.

Christopher: 5) If successful, Safe Mode will appear on the device screen in the bottom left corner.

Kevin: done

Christopher: Please try connecting your device to Wi-FI now and check for the result.

Kevin: it's connected

Christopher: Check if the issue is persisting now.

Kevin: It is. It dropped and reconnected twice already.

Christopher: In that case, let us try performing Factory reset and check for the result.

Christopher: Performing factory reset will completely reset the device, deleting ALL settings and all data on the device (including phonebook entries, pictures, games, and messages).

Kevin: You've got to kidding me.

Christopher: I am positive that this will resolve the issue.

Kevin: Well I'm not doing that no matter how positive you are. That's not an acceptable solution.

Christopher: May I have three minutes while I get the required information? Meanwhile, to have an interactive experience of Samsung products, visit us at http://samsungsimulator.com/

Kevin: Info for what?

Christopher: Let me check for the alternative solution.

Kevin: OK

Christopher: Thank you.

Christopher: Thank you for being online.

Kevin: OK

Christopher: I have checked with alternate solution for best available resources. I am sorry to inform you that we need to Factory reset your device in order to go further.

Christopher: Shall we go ahead?

Kevin: I'll be copying this chat and posting it on the blogs. This is obviously a known issue. Some of the blogs I have read dated back to Dec. 14, 2014. It's disappointing that this update was continued to be released and now I and many others are forced to go through this process.

Kevin: Have a nice day. I know how to reset my phone on my own.

Christopher: I am sorry Kevin, I am just trying to assist you in best way I can.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.