Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 9, 2012
5:15:14 PM
View profile
Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 17, 2013 5:51:42 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by jamileh on Feb 5, 2013 at 9:33:18 AM

Guys,

I got this issue fixed. You dont have to remove the battery or even restart your phone for that matter. This problem occurs mainly because of 4G LTE. I dont know if its the phone or the service. So, I have found an alternative.

What you need to do is add a new APN and run your device on 3G so that you can still get calls and browse until att or samsung fixes this issue. You can either use 4G toggle which you can download from google play to toggle between 3g and 4g. Or you can add as I have said above the new APN. Please go to Settings -> More settings -> Mobile Networks ->Access point names-> (+ new APN) . Give the Name of your choice but the APN should be defined as wap.cingular and finally save it. Change the existing apn to your newly created apn. Go to you home menu and you will see the 4G is used insted 4G LTE. You can even check your speed by using speed test.

Actually now I even have fewer dropped calls and I get the calls as soon as they call it. 

Please watch the below url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TqXFd5aJcuY or read this link : http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-iii/243505-jelly-bean-4-1-1-phone-calls-bug.html

<CM EDIT:

We are researching this but I have marked jan_raghavan's suggestion as an Accepted Solution for the time being because it's worked for a couple people. 

I have to note that this is NOT an AT&T solution and it will limit your capabilities on the device because you won't be on 4G but since it's helped a few of you, I want to make sure it's visible.>

Accepted Solution

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

498 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
View all replies
(498)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2013 1:17:44 PM
(0)
Tutor
Also..here are a few other things I tried :

1) Factory Data Reset
2) Take out SIM and Battery and put them back
3) Change to a new SIM card
4) Trade in Phone at the warranty center for a new phone
5) Put phone in and out of airplane mode

Nothing has worked so far. I still am missing calls. I spoke to ATT again today and they said they are going to "re broadcast" my number . I am to give it 48 hours and then check again to see if my GS3 is still dropping calls. I will update this thread after the 48 hour window is up and confirm whether "re broadcasting" my cell number solved the issue or not.
Also..here are a few other things I tried :

1) Factory Data Reset

Nothing has worked so far. I still am missing calls. I spoke to ATT again today and they said they are going to "re broadcast" my number . I am to give it 48 hours and then check again to see if my GS3 is still dropping calls. I will update this thread after the 48 hour window is up and confirm whether "re broadcasting" my cell number solved the issue or not.

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

31 of 499 (89,377 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2013 1:25:19 PM
(0)
Voyager

I am having the same issue on my Samsung Note 2. I am note sure if it is an ATT problem, Android or Samsung. My problem started after the new Jelly bean update 4.1.2., it is very frustrating because you spend all this money to buy a new and you can't receive call. I miss a tons of important calls this week. Did anybody got this issue resolved? wont am going to call ATT but I am sure they won't to able to fix the problem. 

Glauber

I am having the same issue on my Samsung Note 2. I am note sure if it is an ATT problem, Android or Samsung. My problem started after the new Jelly bean update 4.1.2., it is very frustrating because you spend all this money to buy a new and you can't receive call. I miss a tons of important calls this week. Did anybody got this issue resolved? wont am going to call ATT but I am sure they won't to able to fix the problem. 

Glauber

32 of 499 (89,372 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2013 5:11:21 PM
(0)
Teacher

Solution (might work) 

Solution might be to disable LTE. Following steps are for S3 - not sure about other phones.

Found from one thread which was talking about saving battery.

1) While the phone turned is On - Remove back cover and press SIM card to move it out of slot (but not completely) - Don't remove battery
2) Phone will recognize there's no SIM & it will prompt for restart
3) Restart phone
4) After phone is turned on - Dial *#2263#  &  Wait for next options to appear
5) Select WCDMA (I think 2nd option) & under that WCDMA All (I think it's for HSPA+/3G)
6) Press SIM card back
7) Restart phone

Solution (might work) 

Solution might be to disable LTE. Following steps are for S3 - not sure about other phones.

Found from one thread which was talking about saving battery.

1) While the phone turned is On - Remove back cover and press SIM card to move it out of slot (but not completely) - Don't remove battery
2) Phone will recognize there's no SIM & it will prompt for restart
3) Restart phone
4) After phone is turned on - Dial *#2263#  &  Wait for next options to appear
5) Select WCDMA (I think 2nd option) & under that WCDMA All (I think it's for HSPA+/3G)
6) Press SIM card back
7) Restart phone

33 of 499 (89,346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2013 9:41:28 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by efrancosky on Jan 15, 2013 at 9:53:03 AM

I believe the issue is with the update. I believe that something with the modem or how the phone switches from LTE to 4G is really hurting service. After the update I have suffered from major issues when trying to make outbound calls and receiving calls. When trying to dial out, after I hit talk it will immediately say call ended. Sometimes I have to try the call 3 times for it to work, sometimes I have to soft reset the phone. People have been texting me lately asking whats up with my phone. They either get a weird message "User Unavailable", a fast busy tone or it will not ring through. I have 2 friends try to call me a total of 8 times and were only able to get through 2 times. I am in an area where I have full bars of LTE coverage.

I dont think its a device issue as I am not on my 3rd GS3. I have traded out SIM cards, been disconnected and reconnected to their network. They cleared all of my data in there system and reset me. Ultimately I think something is very wrong with the software. I went into the local store and a girl that worked there said they have been doing a lot of GS3 and Note 2 warranty exchanges after the 4.1 update with users complaining about the same symptoms that I am describing. Hopefully we will get another update with a new modem and it will fix the issue.

We might be able to fix it by turning off the LTE, but in all honesty I want my LTE. I didnt sign a 2 year agreement for an LTE device not to be able to use it. 

AT&T customer retention said they will trade my phone out for any new phone they have, including the Note 2, but since the Note 2 suffers from the same issues it wont do me any good.

I think we need a direct line of communication with the higher ups on the software side. Motorola was good with that. Their forum moderators were able to take issues directly to the source and work on it.

I believe the issue is with the update. I believe that something with the modem or how the phone switches from LTE to 4G is really hurting service. After the update I have suffered from major issues when trying to make outbound calls and receiving calls. When trying to dial out, after I hit talk it will immediately say call ended. Sometimes I have to try the call 3 times for it to work, sometimes I have to soft reset the phone. People have been texting me lately asking whats up with my phone. They either get a weird message "User Unavailable", a fast busy tone or it will not ring through. I have 2 friends try to call me a total of 8 times and were only able to get through 2 times. I am in an area where I have full bars of LTE coverage.

I dont think its a device issue as I am not on my 3rd GS3. I have traded out SIM cards, been disconnected and reconnected to their network. They cleared all of my data in there system and reset me. Ultimately I think something is very wrong with the software. I went into the local store and a girl that worked there said they have been doing a lot of GS3 and Note 2 warranty exchanges after the 4.1 update with users complaining about the same symptoms that I am describing. Hopefully we will get another update with a new modem and it will fix the issue.

We might be able to fix it by turning off the LTE, but in all honesty I want my LTE. I didnt sign a 2 year agreement for an LTE device not to be able to use it. 

AT&T customer retention said they will trade my phone out for any new phone they have, including the Note 2, but since the Note 2 suffers from the same issues it wont do me any good.

I think we need a direct line of communication with the higher ups on the software side. Motorola was good with that. Their forum moderators were able to take issues directly to the source and work on it.

[ Edited ]
34 of 499 (89,302 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2013 9:49:48 AM
(0)
Tutor
Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - After upgrade to Jelly Bean

These are my exact same problems also - called AT&T they want me to get a new sim card, then they want to send me a refurb for my "NEW" phone if that doesn't fix it. Noticed it started after upgrade to Jelly Bean. I have missed calls from my boss and I am on call in the evenings, I am dependant on this phone but found I have to forward all my calls to another cell phone until I get this fixed or loose my job.

I bought what they told me was the best so I would not have problems. Imediately after the upgrade it would over heat, and run down the batterry so turned all bells an whistles off unistalled all apps and reboot everyday.

So now I have phone that is expensive with a pretty screen. I have to start shopping for another carrier and fight this out with them later.

AT&T told me there are no known problems after the Jelly Bean upgrade, that I cannot restore Ginger Bread!!!!

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - After upgrade to Jelly Bean

These are my exact same problems also - called AT&T they want me to get a new sim card, then they want to send me a refurb for my "NEW" phone if that doesn't fix it. Noticed it started after upgrade to Jelly Bean. I have missed calls from my boss and I am on call in the evenings, I am dependant on this phone but found I have to forward all my calls to another cell phone until I get this fixed or loose my job.

I bought what they told me was the best so I would not have problems. Imediately after the upgrade it would over heat, and run down the batterry so turned all bells an whistles off unistalled all apps and reboot everyday.

So now I have phone that is expensive with a pretty screen. I have to start shopping for another carrier and fight this out with them later.

AT&T told me there are no known problems after the Jelly Bean upgrade, that I cannot restore Ginger Bread!!!!

35 of 499 (89,295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2013 12:42:59 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by contactparag on Jan 15, 2013 at 12:45:02 PM

You might have noticed issue after JB update but it's not related to JB.

Also S3 came with ICS not GB.

Follow the steps I have mentioned few posts above & see if it resolves the problem.

You might have noticed issue after JB update but it's not related to JB.

Also S3 came with ICS not GB.

Follow the steps I have mentioned few posts above & see if it resolves the problem.

[ Edited ]
36 of 499 (89,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2013 12:55:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

Ok I will follow your instructions and update if it corrects the issue.

Also I called Samsung tech support - they are aware of the issue, they said they actually have repaired phones with this problem. They want me to send it to them, they will send my origonal back... in 9 to 14 days.  Smiley Sad

I wander are they just trying to drum up business or have they found a fix. They said only AT&T will put out a fix or patch when and if it becomes available.

So I will try your fix, and cross my fingers.

Ok I will follow your instructions and update if it corrects the issue.

Also I called Samsung tech support - they are aware of the issue, they said they actually have repaired phones with this problem. They want me to send it to them, they will send my origonal back... in 9 to 14 days.  Smiley Sad

I wander are they just trying to drum up business or have they found a fix. They said only AT&T will put out a fix or patch when and if it becomes available.

So I will try your fix, and cross my fingers.

37 of 499 (89,251 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2013 2:32:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

I can confirm that my issues began with the JB 4.1.1 update.

I downloaded it via KIes and updated my phone. The Att warranty center folks, undid my installation  saying it may not have been done correctly and redid it from their computers.It solved nothing.

If this is indeed the JB update screwing up the phone, I am surprised that this issue is not widespread and more actively reported. Scouring through the forums, there is no official word on the next update to JB 4.1.2, which could very well be 5 - 6 months away given how fast ATT is with android updates and we end up stuck with a phone that decides when it should recieve calls and from whom  Smiley Mad

I can confirm that my issues began with the JB 4.1.1 update.

I downloaded it via KIes and updated my phone. The Att warranty center folks, undid my installation  saying it may not have been done correctly and redid it from their computers.It solved nothing.

If this is indeed the JB update screwing up the phone, I am surprised that this issue is not widespread and more actively reported. Scouring through the forums, there is no official word on the next update to JB 4.1.2, which could very well be 5 - 6 months away given how fast ATT is with android updates and we end up stuck with a phone that decides when it should recieve calls and from whom  Smiley Mad

38 of 499 (89,232 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2013 2:39:26 PM
(0)
Tutor

Did you try this out ? Shutting down LTE. But then like somone else said , it is not an acceptable solution given the fact that we paid for an LTE device.

But if it does indeed work...do let us know. Better a non LTE phone recieving phone calls than an LTE device that doesnt.

Did you try this out ? Shutting down LTE. But then like somone else said , it is not an acceptable solution given the fact that we paid for an LTE device.

But if it does indeed work...do let us know. Better a non LTE phone recieving phone calls than an LTE device that doesnt.

39 of 499 (89,231 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2013 5:01:23 PM
(0)
Tutor
Your correct it came with Ice cream sandwich, my bad, but I never had any negative feedback until after JB.
Your correct it came with Ice cream sandwich, my bad, but I never had any negative feedback until after JB.

40 of 499 (89,210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2013 7:50:52 PM
(0)
Teacher

I might mention I have had this problem with two Galaxy Note 2's that come with Jelly Bean and the issue existed before any updates.  The phone came out on Nov 9th on AT&T's network, and had problems out of the box.

Based on what some of my friends have said, I have disabled WIFI for the last two days, and have had no issues.  I will keep this thread updated.  Has anybody else tried this?  This is a horrible work around, even though I have the unlimited data plan, I will be throttled when I reach a certain data cap.  But, we will see.

If Samsung acknowledges there is an issue, why won't AT&T?  Are there any AT&T moderaters that care enough about their customers monitoring these forums?  When my contract is up, which unforunately is quite a ways away, I'm out of here.

I might mention I have had this problem with two Galaxy Note 2's that come with Jelly Bean and the issue existed before any updates.  The phone came out on Nov 9th on AT&T's network, and had problems out of the box.

Based on what some of my friends have said, I have disabled WIFI for the last two days, and have had no issues.  I will keep this thread updated.  Has anybody else tried this?  This is a horrible work around, even though I have the unlimited data plan, I will be throttled when I reach a certain data cap.  But, we will see.

If Samsung acknowledges there is an issue, why won't AT&T?  Are there any AT&T moderaters that care enough about their customers monitoring these forums?  When my contract is up, which unforunately is quite a ways away, I'm out of here.

41 of 499 (89,206 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2013 9:01:51 PM
(0)
Teacher

efrancosky wrote:

I agree. AT&T should find a solution since we are paying for new LTE phone & locking on 2 years contract.

But LTE is the last thing in the world I would worry about as long as I receive calls & data.

efrancosky wrote:

I agree. AT&T should find a solution since we are paying for new LTE phone & locking on 2 years contract.

But LTE is the last thing in the world I would worry about as long as I receive calls & data.

42 of 499 (89,191 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2013 10:44:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

That's what I do with my galaxy s3 right now. I have to disable Wifi for my phone to start acting like a phone and receive calls. I don't have unlimited data so this temporary fix has bad consequence. Smiley Sad

That's what I do with my galaxy s3 right now. I have to disable Wifi for my phone to start acting like a phone and receive calls. I don't have unlimited data so this temporary fix has bad consequence. Smiley Sad

43 of 499 (89,159 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2013 9:05:31 AM
(0)
Tutor
I am having same issues with GS3 ( my second one) had problems with both latest and previous firmware. ATT basically saying it is a coverage issue and you have to live with it. This after 8-9 extended phone calls to tech support and talking to 2, supposedly managers. When asked if engineering is looking at it they said that their engineers lookes at the network towers and they reported no problem. This needs to get to another level of engineering to try and trouble shoot the problem. I, too, am of the belief that it is an LTE technology issue. Can't wait for my ATT contract to expire.
I am having same issues with GS3 ( my second one) had problems with both latest and previous firmware. ATT basically saying it is a coverage issue and you have to live with it. This after 8-9 extended phone calls to tech support and talking to 2, supposedly managers. When asked if engineering is looking at it they said that their engineers lookes at the network towers and they reported no problem. This needs to get to another level of engineering to try and trouble shoot the problem. I, too, am of the belief that it is an LTE technology issue. Can't wait for my ATT contract to expire.

44 of 499 (89,132 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2013 9:33:35 AM
(0)
Teacher

Day Two Since I have turned off data and only have my phone on 4G.  I have not had any issues receiving phone calls or texts.  Two days ago, before turning off wifi, it was getting so bad, I would have to toggle airplane on my phone 3 or 4 times a day.  Not sure if this is coincidence or not, but, if it isn't, then does it really have anything to do with network strength?  

Day Two Since I have turned off data and only have my phone on 4G.  I have not had any issues receiving phone calls or texts.  Two days ago, before turning off wifi, it was getting so bad, I would have to toggle airplane on my phone 3 or 4 times a day.  Not sure if this is coincidence or not, but, if it isn't, then does it really have anything to do with network strength?  

45 of 499 (89,129 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2013 11:27:41 AM
(0)
Teacher

edo03 wrote:

How did you ended up with solution of turing off wi-fi?

Who said it's due to wi-fi?

edo03 wrote:

How did you ended up with solution of turing off wi-fi?

Who said it's due to wi-fi?

46 of 499 (89,096 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2013 1:14:24 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hello all,

I have been having this issue since last 2 months. I have done everything as per AT&T's guidelines but nothing worked. (changed SIM, changed phones, factory resets) Even after all this AT&T is not ready to admit its fault. And they are treating this issue as "User Issue"

I have posted on AT&T's facebook page and I seem to be getting responce from AT&T. I also received a call from AT&T public relations this morning. If you all can comment about your frustration on the link provided below and describe that you are having the same issue, we can get good visibility and hopefully solve the issue. If not, we can include media like Engadet, The Verge and others to get media coverage. Please comment your issue on the link below. Thanks a lot in advance.

http://www.facebook.com/ATT/posts/10151354193843909

Hello all,

I have been having this issue since last 2 months. I have done everything as per AT&T's guidelines but nothing worked. (changed SIM, changed phones, factory resets) Even after all this AT&T is not ready to admit its fault. And they are treating this issue as "User Issue"

I have posted on AT&T's facebook page and I seem to be getting responce from AT&T. I also received a call from AT&T public relations this morning. If you all can comment about your frustration on the link provided below and describe that you are having the same issue, we can get good visibility and hopefully solve the issue. If not, we can include media like Engadet, The Verge and others to get media coverage. Please comment your issue on the link below. Thanks a lot in advance.

http://www.facebook.com/ATT/posts/10151354193843909

47 of 499 (89,079 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2013 1:27:45 PM
(0)
Teacher

I have posted on the facebook link above.  I also urge everybody else to do the same.  It's time that people are made aware of AT&T's LTE networks inability to receive calls.  

I have posted on the facebook link above.  I also urge everybody else to do the same.  It's time that people are made aware of AT&T's LTE networks inability to receive calls.  

48 of 499 (89,073 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2013 1:50:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

Update on the options I tried to get my phone to work correclty

1) Factory Data Reset  

6) Turn off Wifi

7) Have Att device support install JB from thier machines

8) Called ATT support and they "re broadcast"  my phone number.

Well..all of the above FAILED. I will also update the facebook link with this issue.

Update on the options I tried to get my phone to work correclty

1) Factory Data Reset  

6) Turn off Wifi

7) Have Att device support install JB from thier machines

8) Called ATT support and they "re broadcast"  my phone number.

Well..all of the above FAILED. I will also update the facebook link with this issue.

49 of 499 (89,059 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2013 1:53:40 PM
(0)
Teacher

Sorry I am posting so much, but, I am livid that AT&T is ignoring us.  Every option they have offered me will cost me money (such as adding another line to my family plan and trying a different phone AT MY EXPENSE).  "Too bad, you're past the 14 day warranty period."  I want this to receive as much publicity as it can.  I have submitted an email to consumerist, and hopefully, they will run with it.  

Sorry I am posting so much, but, I am livid that AT&T is ignoring us.  Every option they have offered me will cost me money (such as adding another line to my family plan and trying a different phone AT MY EXPENSE).  "Too bad, you're past the 14 day warranty period."  I want this to receive as much publicity as it can.  I have submitted an email to consumerist, and hopefully, they will run with it.  

50 of 499 (89,058 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2013 2:01:58 PM
(0)
Tutor

Eventually, after a few device exchanges, I asked to speak with customer retention and told them I want to cancel my service because of the issues. After speaking with a supervisor they offered me any other $200 device for free if I re-signed a 2 year. Unfortunately the only other devices worth looking at are the LG Optimus and Note 2. The Note 2 suffers from the same issues as the GS3 and the reviews on the LG are not that good. 

Eventually, after a few device exchanges, I asked to speak with customer retention and told them I want to cancel my service because of the issues. After speaking with a supervisor they offered me any other $200 device for free if I re-signed a 2 year. Unfortunately the only other devices worth looking at are the LG Optimus and Note 2. The Note 2 suffers from the same issues as the GS3 and the reviews on the LG are not that good. 

51 of 499 (89,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2013 6:59:09 PM
(0)
Tutor

I actually ended up with that solution accidentally. How? I usually notice the issue happening when I am at home (which I am always connected to Wifi) or any place where my phone is hooked to a Wifi. I CAN sometimes receive calls even if the Wifi is ON but if the Wifi has been on for a while, I seem to have trouble receiving calls. But when I am NOT on Wifi, I do not seem to have any problem. This is just based on MY own observation and AT&T does not have any single clue why this is happening . They only said that Wifi shouldn't interfere with phone calls, and that's what I thought too. 

I actually ended up with that solution accidentally. How? I usually notice the issue happening when I am at home (which I am always connected to Wifi) or any place where my phone is hooked to a Wifi. I CAN sometimes receive calls even if the Wifi is ON but if the Wifi has been on for a while, I seem to have trouble receiving calls. But when I am NOT on Wifi, I do not seem to have any problem. This is just based on MY own observation and AT&T does not have any single clue why this is happening . They only said that Wifi shouldn't interfere with phone calls, and that's what I thought too. 

52 of 499 (89,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2013 7:01:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just got off the phone with another case manager. She said she has seen a few cases talking about the issues we are having. She is going to escalate the case and  speak with their engineers and get back to me. Unfortuately with ATT's track record for software updates are really bad, so who knows how long it will take to fix

I just got off the phone with another case manager. She said she has seen a few cases talking about the issues we are having. She is going to escalate the case and  speak with their engineers and get back to me. Unfortuately with ATT's track record for software updates are really bad, so who knows how long it will take to fix

53 of 499 (89,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2013 7:34:46 AM
(0)
Explorer

I didn't expect to have to post to this forum again this soon. It took me a lot of time to sort out the battery drain issue and now I am having the lost signal issue. I am experiencing the same issue whereby my phone wouldn't ring and the call goes straight to the voicemail. This appears to be happening daily for the last few weeks. I have been using the phone since July and didn't experience this issue even after upgrading to Jelly Bean. I now think it has something to do with AT&T network, possibly their recent changes to the network? This is frustrating and quite disappointing as the phone becomes useless when this happens. I hope AT&T addresses this issue soon. This again reminds us how important the service reliability is and AT&T continues to prove that there's room for improvement after all these years.  

I didn't expect to have to post to this forum again this soon. It took me a lot of time to sort out the battery drain issue and now I am having the lost signal issue. I am experiencing the same issue whereby my phone wouldn't ring and the call goes straight to the voicemail. This appears to be happening daily for the last few weeks. I have been using the phone since July and didn't experience this issue even after upgrading to Jelly Bean. I now think it has something to do with AT&T network, possibly their recent changes to the network? This is frustrating and quite disappointing as the phone becomes useless when this happens. I hope AT&T addresses this issue soon. This again reminds us how important the service reliability is and AT&T continues to prove that there's room for improvement after all these years.  

54 of 499 (88,975 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2013 11:22:03 AM
(0)
Tutor

Apparently the HTC One X also has this problem ...here is the thread  : http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/HTC-one-X-plus-stops-receiving-calls/td-p/33...

Looks like  ATT's LTE may be the cause for dropped calls after all....

Apparently the HTC One X also has this problem ...here is the thread  : http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/HTC-one-X-plus-stops-receiving-calls/td-p/3370861

Looks like  ATT's LTE may be the cause for dropped calls after all....

55 of 499 (88,946 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2013 11:31:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I've seen issues like this in the past with multiple carriers.  I've noticed that no one (that I can remember) posted his/her location.  Sometimes these issues are concentrated in one geographic area, so it may be helpful to post your location with your comment.

I've seen issues like this in the past with multiple carriers.  I've noticed that no one (that I can remember) posted his/her location.  Sometimes these issues are concentrated in one geographic area, so it may be helpful to post your location with your comment.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

56 of 499 (88,942 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 17, 2013 5:51:42 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by jamileh on Feb 5, 2013 at 9:33:18 AM

Guys,

I got this issue fixed. You dont have to remove the battery or even restart your phone for that matter. This problem occurs mainly because of 4G LTE. I dont know if its the phone or the service. So, I have found an alternative.

What you need to do is add a new APN and run your device on 3G so that you can still get calls and browse until att or samsung fixes this issue. You can either use 4G toggle which you can download from google play to toggle between 3g and 4g. Or you can add as I have said above the new APN. Please go to Settings -> More settings -> Mobile Networks ->Access point names-> (+ new APN) . Give the Name of your choice but the APN should be defined as wap.cingular and finally save it. Change the existing apn to your newly created apn. Go to you home menu and you will see the 4G is used insted 4G LTE. You can even check your speed by using speed test.

Actually now I even have fewer dropped calls and I get the calls as soon as they call it. 

Please watch the below url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TqXFd5aJcuY or read this link : http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-iii/243505-jelly-bean-4-1-1-phone-calls-bug.html

<CM EDIT:

We are researching this but I have marked jan_raghavan's suggestion as an Accepted Solution for the time being because it's worked for a couple people. 

I have to note that this is NOT an AT&T solution and it will limit your capabilities on the device because you won't be on 4G but since it's helped a few of you, I want to make sure it's visible.>

Guys,

<CM EDIT:

[ Edited ]
57 of 499 (88,911 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2013 8:05:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

Jan is correct. I was in a corporate store (st.louis) today and there was an engineer in the store. He said they are very aware of the issue with any 4.1+ device experiencing the call and data issues. Something about how a 4.1+ device sends more than 130 bit signal to their LTE tower which is causing major issues. He said that he has bumped his GS3 down to 3G and is no longer experiencing any more issues. Unfortunately we have to loose LTE until they fix the issue or deal with horrible service.

Jan is correct. I was in a corporate store (st.louis) today and there was an engineer in the store. He said they are very aware of the issue with any 4.1+ device experiencing the call and data issues. Something about how a 4.1+ device sends more than 130 bit signal to their LTE tower which is causing major issues. He said that he has bumped his GS3 down to 3G and is no longer experiencing any more issues. Unfortunately we have to loose LTE until they fix the issue or deal with horrible service.

58 of 499 (88,888 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2013 5:49:18 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks so much!!!!  This works great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Smiley Very Happy

Thanks so much!!!!  This works great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Smiley Very Happy

59 of 499 (88,858 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2013 12:09:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

FYI, I tried "contactparag's" solution on the 15th, have not noticed any missed calls and today is the 18th. Now my phone says I'm on 4G not 4G LTE, when they get this issue fixed how do I get back on 4G LTE? Thanks I was desparate!

FYI, I tried "contactparag's" solution on the 15th, have not noticed any missed calls and today is the 18th. Now my phone says I'm on 4G not 4G LTE, when they get this issue fixed how do I get back on 4G LTE? Thanks I was desparate!

60 of 499 (88,816 Views)