Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 9, 2012
5:15:14 PM
View profile
Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 17, 2013 5:51:42 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by jamileh on Feb 5, 2013 at 9:33:18 AM

Guys,

I got this issue fixed. You dont have to remove the battery or even restart your phone for that matter. This problem occurs mainly because of 4G LTE. I dont know if its the phone or the service. So, I have found an alternative.

What you need to do is add a new APN and run your device on 3G so that you can still get calls and browse until att or samsung fixes this issue. You can either use 4G toggle which you can download from google play to toggle between 3g and 4g. Or you can add as I have said above the new APN. Please go to Settings -> More settings -> Mobile Networks ->Access point names-> (+ new APN) . Give the Name of your choice but the APN should be defined as wap.cingular and finally save it. Change the existing apn to your newly created apn. Go to you home menu and you will see the 4G is used insted 4G LTE. You can even check your speed by using speed test.

Actually now I even have fewer dropped calls and I get the calls as soon as they call it. 

Please watch the below url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TqXFd5aJcuY or read this link : http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-iii/243505-jelly-bean-4-1-1-phone-calls-bug.html

<CM EDIT:

We are researching this but I have marked jan_raghavan's suggestion as an Accepted Solution for the time being because it's worked for a couple people. 

I have to note that this is NOT an AT&T solution and it will limit your capabilities on the device because you won't be on 4G but since it's helped a few of you, I want to make sure it's visible.>

Accepted Solution

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

498 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
View all replies
(498)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2013 4:23:45 AM
(0)
Tutor
that is so frustrating....... i have five phones (two HTC One) (two galaxy s4) and one galaxy s4 active, all of them have the same issue........so even the blind and deaf people can tell this problem has nothing to do with the phone....it's provider failure, probably the towers are too old now and can't handle that fast speed 4g LTE signal with increased customers calls since AT&T start unlimited talk & text....the same issue has appeared with Verizon last year and the customers still experiencing same issue with bad coverage signal and drop calls....also this issue has a lot to do with FCC, because they have horrible rules about spectrum...thats why the communication companies can't expanding easily, because they have to buy another company to use their spectrum and upgrade their towers... that will cost billions of dollars
that is so frustrating....... i have five phones (two HTC One) (two galaxy s4) and one galaxy s4 active, all of them have the same issue........so even the blind and deaf people can tell this problem has nothing to do with the phone....it's provider failure, probably the towers are too old now and can't handle that fast speed 4g LTE signal with increased customers calls since AT&T start unlimited talk & text....the same issue has appeared with Verizon last year and the customers still experiencing same issue with bad coverage signal and drop calls....also this issue has a lot to do with FCC, because they have horrible rules about spectrum...thats why the communication companies can't expanding easily, because they have to buy another company to use their spectrum and upgrade their towers... that will cost billions of dollars

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

391 of 499 (1,966 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 7:05:59 AM
(0)
Explorer
Has the update helped our issue any? I am going to go off the workaround and see if the phone still misses calls and gets texts late. Will post my results here, please post yours, too!
Has the update helped our issue any? I am going to go off the workaround and see if the phone still misses calls and gets texts late. Will post my results here, please post yours, too!

392 of 499 (1,854 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 7:43:09 AM
(0)
Teacher

contactparag wrote:

Solution (might work) 

Solution might be to disable LTE. Following steps are for S3 - not sure about other phones.

Found from one thread which was talking about saving battery.

1) While the phone turned is On - Remove back cover and press SIM card to move it out of slot (but not completely) - Don't remove battery
2) Phone will recognize there's no SIM & it will prompt for restart
3) Restart phone
4) After phone is turned on - Dial *#2263#  &  Wait for next options to appear
5) Select WCDMA & under that WCDMA All (I think it's for HSPA+/3G)
6) Press SIM card back
7) Restart phone

This solution works.. But you will be disabling LTE (not a big deal)..

I have received more in credit than what I paid for phone & I am out of contract after I sent (physical) Dispute Letter (google for AT&T dispute form)..

contactparag wrote:

Solution (might work) 

Solution might be to disable LTE. Following steps are for S3 - not sure about other phones.

1) While the phone turned is On - Remove back cover and press SIM card to move it out of slot (but not completely) - Don't remove battery
3) Restart phone
6) Press SIM card back
7) Restart phone

This solution works.. But you will be disabling LTE (not a big deal)..

I have received more in credit than what I paid for phone & I am out of contract after I sent (physical) Dispute Letter (google for AT&T dispute form)..

393 of 499 (1,853 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2013 12:27:12 AM
(0)
Tutor
kinda I figured it out... i used to leave the WIFI on all the time, either connected to my house router or my work. i did test the db signal while its connected to WIFI, and it was to high. when i turned the WIFI off, the db signal went low, and all my five phones at home are working fine for two days now.... i think the problem is ATT update different 4G LTE BANDS and the phones are still on 12 band. so probably thats one of the reason, plus the WIFI is conflict too with the signal.... i know it doesn't make any sense, but first try to turn off the WIFI for a two days and check it. if you still have this problem turn the 4G LTE off, and leave it on HSPA or 4G only....... BTW i did my experiment on two HTC ONE, two Galaxy S4, and one Galaxy S4 Active.
kinda I figured it out... i used to leave the WIFI on all the time, either connected to my house router or my work. i did test the db signal while its connected to WIFI, and it was to high. when i turned the WIFI off, the db signal went low, and all my five phones at home are working fine for two days now.... i think the problem is ATT update different 4G LTE BANDS and the phones are still on 12 band. so probably thats one of the reason, plus the WIFI is conflict too with the signal.... i know it doesn't make any sense, but first try to turn off the WIFI for a two days and check it. if you still have this problem turn the 4G LTE off, and leave it on HSPA or 4G only....... BTW i did my experiment on two HTC ONE, two Galaxy S4, and one Galaxy S4 Active.

394 of 499 (1,802 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2013 10:13:56 PM
(0)
Teacher

I have had the same issue since January. Have used 5 different Samsung  devices, 3 sim cards, over 10 hours talking to at&t reps. the s4 running 4.2.2 has the same issue. I hate to say it because of how much I love my note II but looks like iPhone 5 may be the only solution to the problem... AT&T will be losing my business of 5 lines shortly. 

I have had the same issue since January. Have used 5 different Samsung  devices, 3 sim cards, over 10 hours talking to at&t reps. the s4 running 4.2.2 has the same issue. I hate to say it because of how much I love my note II but looks like iPhone 5 may be the only solution to the problem... AT&T will be losing my business of 5 lines shortly. 

395 of 499 (1,761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 10:27:10 AM
(0)
Mentor

Does the iPhone not use 4G LTE? From what I've been able to gather online, this problem only applies if you're hooked into a 4G LTE tower. And I can confirm it definitely occurs on a Galaxy S4 - both the missed incoming calls and the delayed notifications of voicemail. SMS messages seem to come through with no delays.

Does the iPhone not use 4G LTE? From what I've been able to gather online, this problem only applies if you're hooked into a 4G LTE tower. And I can confirm it definitely occurs on a Galaxy S4 - both the missed incoming calls and the delayed notifications of voicemail. SMS messages seem to come through with no delays.

396 of 499 (1,724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 10:38:08 AM
(0)
Scholar
I think the most recent iPhone iteration does, my sister has one and complains about both the delayed SMS/MMS delivery issue, as well as missed calls (actually she notices "random voice mails" but the underlying issue is her phone doesn't even ring/connect sometimes). I'm 99% sure her iPhone is LTE capable because she got super braggy about that last fall, and I had to show her that LTE had been out for a while and that other phones had been using it for a year+ before she would believe me that it was nothing super new, just new for Apple apparently...
I think the most recent iPhone iteration does, my sister has one and complains about both the delayed SMS/MMS delivery issue, as well as missed calls (actually she notices "random voice mails" but the underlying issue is her phone doesn't even ring/connect sometimes). I'm 99% sure her iPhone is LTE capable because she got super braggy about that last fall, and I had to show her that LTE had been out for a while and that other phones had been using it for a year+ before she would believe me that it was nothing super new, just new for Apple apparently...
Sent from my Galaxy S 3 (i747)

397 of 499 (1,718 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 10:39:18 AM
(0)
Scholar
Also, I know the issue also affects Windows Phone 8, as a guy here in the office has the same two issues
Also, I know the issue also affects Windows Phone 8, as a guy here in the office has the same two issues

398 of 499 (1,719 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 11:06:33 AM
(0)
Teacher

From what I gather online, Iphones seem like they are not having the issue any longer.  It appears that they did, originally, but some type of update resolved it.  My wife has an iphone 4, haven't seen the problem occur on it.  Many people in this forum seem to be having luck with the Iphone 5.  Any one having this problem still with an Iphone???

From what I gather online, Iphones seem like they are not having the issue any longer.  It appears that they did, originally, but some type of update resolved it.  My wife has an iphone 4, haven't seen the problem occur on it.  Many people in this forum seem to be having luck with the Iphone 5.  Any one having this problem still with an Iphone???

399 of 499 (1,713 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 11:14:14 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Phil-101 on Aug 6, 2013 at 12:21:17 PM

I have a galaxy note II.  It doesn't have a way to disable LTE in the settings but I was able to call AT&T [unpublished number removed] and they disabled the LTE on the phone.  LTE dissapeared from the top of my phone, so I think it was done effectively, but I still had the problem with missing calls and text messages.  I have also tried leaving WIFI off, but didn't seem to help.  Has anyone been able to get their phones to stop doing this??? Please share your experiences...

AT&T reps don't have a clue.  Technical support is just a call center by Convergys, they don't even work for AT&T.  No wonder they Don't know about this nor do they care.  It is costing a lot of us our businesses, friends and relationships, or atleast straining them! 

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY DIRECT PHONE NUMBERS TO MANAGERS WTIH AT&T OR TO A SUPERVISOR OR HIGHER LEVEL OF TECHNICAL SUPPORT??? PLEASE POST USEFUL INFO. 

OVER 138,000 PEOPLE HAVE LOOKED AT THIS THREAD, THAT TELLS ME THAT ATLEAST THAT MANY ARE STRUGGLING WITH THIS ISSUE STILL!!!  I AM IN UTAH, NO FIX YET HERE. PLEASE SHARE WHERE YOU ARE AS WELL, MAYBE IT IS BEING ADRESSED BY AREA?

I have a galaxy note II.  It doesn't have a way to disable LTE in the settings but I was able to call AT&T [unpublished number removed] and they disabled the LTE on the phone.  LTE dissapeared from the top of my phone, so I think it was done effectively, but I still had the problem with missing calls and text messages.  I have also tried leaving WIFI off, but didn't seem to help.  Has anyone been able to get their phones to stop doing this??? Please share your experiences...

AT&T reps don't have a clue.  Technical support is just a call center by Convergys, they don't even work for AT&T.  No wonder they Don't know about this nor do they care.  It is costing a lot of us our businesses, friends and relationships, or atleast straining them! 

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY DIRECT PHONE NUMBERS TO MANAGERS WTIH AT&T OR TO A SUPERVISOR OR HIGHER LEVEL OF TECHNICAL SUPPORT??? PLEASE POST USEFUL INFO. 

OVER 138,000 PEOPLE HAVE LOOKED AT THIS THREAD, THAT TELLS ME THAT ATLEAST THAT MANY ARE STRUGGLING WITH THIS ISSUE STILL!!!  I AM IN UTAH, NO FIX YET HERE. PLEASE SHARE WHERE YOU ARE AS WELL, MAYBE IT IS BEING ADRESSED BY AREA?

[ Edited ]
400 of 499 (1,713 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 11:34:27 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by coxkun3 on Aug 6, 2013 at 11:36:24 AM

3) Restart phone
6) Press SIM card back
7) Restart phone

DID THIS PERMANENTLY WORK FOR ANYONE??? Please share your experiences, we have to solve this because AT&T obviously doesn't care. Thanks!!!

3) Restart phone
6) Press SIM card back
7) Restart phone

DID THIS PERMANENTLY WORK FOR ANYONE??? Please share your experiences, we have to solve this because AT&T obviously doesn't care. Thanks!!!

[ Edited ]
401 of 499 (1,721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 11:37:29 AM
(0)
Mentor

I don't know if this is being fixed by market area or what is going on. My GS3 had it bad, missed calls and sms daily. The workaround using the dialer cured umm allowed you to receive calls and texts but of course you lost the LTE. After many conversations with AT&T, I ended up in retention and an over two hour call. The end result was a new GS4. I have had this new phone for months and also my wife upgraded her business phone to a Galaxy Note II and her personal phone to the GS4 also. None of these phones have had the issue to date. Not once. Not sure why it is fixed on our phones but some GS4 users are still experiencing the issue?  I am in the Twin Cities, MN area BTW. 

I don't know if this is being fixed by market area or what is going on. My GS3 had it bad, missed calls and sms daily. The workaround using the dialer cured umm allowed you to receive calls and texts but of course you lost the LTE. After many conversations with AT&T, I ended up in retention and an over two hour call. The end result was a new GS4. I have had this new phone for months and also my wife upgraded her business phone to a Galaxy Note II and her personal phone to the GS4 also. None of these phones have had the issue to date. Not once. Not sure why it is fixed on our phones but some GS4 users are still experiencing the issue?  I am in the Twin Cities, MN area BTW. 

402 of 499 (1,719 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 12:01:29 PM
(0)
Scholar

you guys are completely waisting your time. 

you should’ve understand by now that ATT will never ever fix this. 

4.3 is out, ATT will NEVER EVER put ANY type of effort or time trying to resolve an issue with 4.2.2 they broke with their bloatware in the OS.

do yourself a favor just do one of the following:

1. Disable LTE completely and stay on 4G until 4.3 roll out. 

2. Fight ATT to give u a the SG4. 

3. Root the phone and put a custom rom on it. 

i did that on my SG3, put CM 10.1 AOKP on it. NEVER had that issue again. 

now im on SG4 and guess what, 3 minutes after turning on the phone for the first time i rooted it and put CM10.1 on it. ZERO issues since. 

ATT developers doing their QA using crayons.... dont expect much from a company that refuse to release the bootloader and have zero knowledge on how to actually fix an OS. 

waste of time, effort and internet bandwidth for u guys...

just root the phone, put a different ROM and debloat ANYTHING att put on ur phone. 

you guys are completely waisting your time. 

you should’ve understand by now that ATT will never ever fix this. 

4.3 is out, ATT will NEVER EVER put ANY type of effort or time trying to resolve an issue with 4.2.2 they broke with their bloatware in the OS.

do yourself a favor just do one of the following:

1. Disable LTE completely and stay on 4G until 4.3 roll out. 

2. Fight ATT to give u a the SG4. 

3. Root the phone and put a custom rom on it. 

i did that on my SG3, put CM 10.1 AOKP on it. NEVER had that issue again. 

now im on SG4 and guess what, 3 minutes after turning on the phone for the first time i rooted it and put CM10.1 on it. ZERO issues since. 

ATT developers doing their QA using crayons.... dont expect much from a company that refuse to release the bootloader and have zero knowledge on how to actually fix an OS. 

waste of time, effort and internet bandwidth for u guys...

just root the phone, put a different ROM and debloat ANYTHING att put on ur phone. 

403 of 499 (1,700 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 1:04:37 PM
(0)
Explorer
Yes, the *#2263# will work perfectly, just no LTE sevice. Just went back on it after the update didn't fix our issue. Never missed a call or text using this workaround.
Yes, the *#2263# will work perfectly, just no LTE sevice. Just went back on it after the update didn't fix our issue. Never missed a call or text using this workaround.

404 of 499 (1,680 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 3:00:39 PM
(0)
Mentor

I did something like this on my S3, but it dropped me to where my data speed was like dialup, and would disconnect me from the tower randomly. Not this method, but something with a new AGP. Does this method work better? Is it reversable? Does it persist through a reboot?

I did something like this on my S3, but it dropped me to where my data speed was like dialup, and would disconnect me from the tower randomly. Not this method, but something with a new AGP. Does this method work better? Is it reversable? Does it persist through a reboot?

405 of 499 (1,652 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 7:54:57 PM
(0)
Scholar
This evening my sister said she hasn't noticed it since early spring... Maybe updating/optimizing the baseband/modem low-level software can help...
This evening my sister said she hasn't noticed it since early spring... Maybe updating/optimizing the baseband/modem low-level software can help...

406 of 499 (1,623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2013 8:31:08 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by coxkun3 on Aug 7, 2013 at 8:32:10 AM
  1. I did the *#2263# workaround on my note II running 4.1.2, LTE has dissapeared from the top but today I missed a call again and received the phantom voicemail with 3 bars... Frustrating...  I'm looking in to rooting the phone to solve this, will that definitely work?  Anyone have experiences with that?  Thanks in Advance for your help and time!
  1. I did the *#2263# workaround on my note II running 4.1.2, LTE has dissapeared from the top but today I missed a call again and received the phantom voicemail with 3 bars... Frustrating...  I'm looking in to rooting the phone to solve this, will that definitely work?  Anyone have experiences with that?  Thanks in Advance for your help and time!

[ Edited ]
407 of 499 (1,583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2013 9:23:58 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hey, coxkun3! Sorry you seem to be having difficulties. I just wanted to let you know that I've sent you a PM. You should be able to click on the blue envelope in the top right corner of your screen to access them.

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hey, coxkun3! Sorry you seem to be having difficulties. I just wanted to let you know that I've sent you a PM. You should be able to click on the blue envelope in the top right corner of your screen to access them.

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

408 of 499 (1,443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2013 1:13:37 PM
(0)
Mentor

Still having the same issues, even with the 4.1.2 update. 

2 missed calls that went straight to vm, yet the vm notifications took hours. 

This was from another phone on my account....... 

Tried all of the options listed, and the only working one was to dumb down the apn which gives me dialup data speed. All we get are promises of an eventual cure by the end of the year. 

Totally unacceptable as we've been battling this since May. 

AT&T just can't deliver on their part of our contract...... Not surprised but very disappointed. 

Never had these issues on Verizon, and I live the NYC metro area. 

Still having the same issues, even with the 4.1.2 update. 

2 missed calls that went straight to vm, yet the vm notifications took hours. 

This was from another phone on my account....... 

Tried all of the options listed, and the only working one was to dumb down the apn which gives me dialup data speed. All we get are promises of an eventual cure by the end of the year. 

Totally unacceptable as we've been battling this since May. 

AT&T just can't deliver on their part of our contract...... Not surprised but very disappointed. 

Never had these issues on Verizon, and I live the NYC metro area. 

409 of 499 (1,389 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2013 10:30:39 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Danvee on Aug 10, 2013 at 10:31:13 PM

Also, FWIW, we have 3 S3s on the account. IDK if we're willing to deal with this until the end of the year. 

To repeat : we've upheld our end of the contract by paying on time if not early. 

AT&T's not holding up their end. 

We can either have reliable calling and abysmal data speed (and leave WiFi off) or have the 3G/4G data speeds that we're paying for, but at the expense of missed calls (that go straight to vm) and missed vms. Can't seem under any circumstance to have the phone, the functionality and the service for which we signed a contract in all good faith with AT&T. 

ATP I'm warning everyone who will listen about these serious (and potentially contract nullifying)  breaches. Their first and second line CSRs are pleasant enough, but clueless. 

Have to reach engineering in order to get the 'real' story, and, suffice it to say, the 'real' story is none too encouraging. 

I'm waiting for a resolution, but not too hopeful..... 

Also, FWIW, we have 3 S3s on the account. IDK if we're willing to deal with this until the end of the year. 

To repeat : we've upheld our end of the contract by paying on time if not early. 

AT&T's not holding up their end. 

We can either have reliable calling and abysmal data speed (and leave WiFi off) or have the 3G/4G data speeds that we're paying for, but at the expense of missed calls (that go straight to vm) and missed vms. Can't seem under any circumstance to have the phone, the functionality and the service for which we signed a contract in all good faith with AT&T. 

ATP I'm warning everyone who will listen about these serious (and potentially contract nullifying)  breaches. Their first and second line CSRs are pleasant enough, but clueless. 

Have to reach engineering in order to get the 'real' story, and, suffice it to say, the 'real' story is none too encouraging. 

I'm waiting for a resolution, but not too hopeful..... 

[ Edited ]
410 of 499 (1,358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 11:11:54 AM
(0)
Explorer

The only reliable way I have of making the messages come through is texting the old Google Search number (466453) every time I think a text message might have gotten lost in limbo. I'm pretty much screwed on calls though. I don't think AT&T has any idea how unbelievably frustrating it is to be told there's nothing they can do when your phone stops working reliably as a PHONE. The thing it was designed and built to be. I've literally been through 4 different SIMs, 3 different phones, 2 models, 1 CS manager, and countless CSRs. It's clearly not an Android issue, as my brother has the same issue (if less frequently) on his iPhone 5. That leaves one common denominator. If there was another carrier with similar pricing and coverage, I'd be jumping ship. As it is, it's pretty much pick one or the other. T-mobile and sprint are relatively cheap, but their coverage is terrible. Verizon has as good of coverage, if not better, but you pay a substantial amount more for it. So I'm stuck. I'm sick of having to text Google to see if I missed an important call from work or just a text in the middle of a conversation. As someone said earlier, almost 150,000 people have looked at this thread. Fix this problem, AT&T, or do SOMETHING to make it better. Bill credits are not enough.

The only reliable way I have of making the messages come through is texting the old Google Search number (466453) every time I think a text message might have gotten lost in limbo. I'm pretty much screwed on calls though. I don't think AT&T has any idea how unbelievably frustrating it is to be told there's nothing they can do when your phone stops working reliably as a PHONE. The thing it was designed and built to be. I've literally been through 4 different SIMs, 3 different phones, 2 models, 1 CS manager, and countless CSRs. It's clearly not an Android issue, as my brother has the same issue (if less frequently) on his iPhone 5. That leaves one common denominator. If there was another carrier with similar pricing and coverage, I'd be jumping ship. As it is, it's pretty much pick one or the other. T-mobile and sprint are relatively cheap, but their coverage is terrible. Verizon has as good of coverage, if not better, but you pay a substantial amount more for it. So I'm stuck. I'm sick of having to text Google to see if I missed an important call from work or just a text in the middle of a conversation. As someone said earlier, almost 150,000 people have looked at this thread. Fix this problem, AT&T, or do SOMETHING to make it better. Bill credits are not enough.

411 of 499 (1,325 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 2:03:31 PM
(0)
Mentor

Seems like we need to heat this up somehow. Does anyone know any Congresscritters? Maybe they could talk to AT&T (the next time they golf together, hah) and get some resolution here. I think the problem is the 4G LTE tower software/hardware, as I have not heard of a single missed call occurring in locations that do not have 4G LTE.

Seems like we need to heat this up somehow. Does anyone know any Congresscritters? Maybe they could talk to AT&T (the next time they golf together, hah) and get some resolution here. I think the problem is the 4G LTE tower software/hardware, as I have not heard of a single missed call occurring in locations that do not have 4G LTE.

412 of 499 (1,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 7:52:53 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Danvee on Aug 11, 2013 at 8:07:42 PM

Text messages aren't the issue. It's the missed calls, the lack of missed call notification, and the lack of voicemail notification for 3-4 hours. 

This is inexcusable. 

The US Uniform Commercial Code has a 'fitness of purpose act'  that states simply that anything purchased to perform a function should do just that. 

If a phone misses calls due to 'technical difficulties' which are slowly, if at all, being addressed, can it actually be classified as a phone? 

Or is it a glorified game playing device that receives calls when the planets are aligned just right? 

All I know is that my contract binds me nicely....

It should equally bind AT&T to provide the services for which they're being paid under the terms of the same contract.

If they can't, and knew that fact beforehand, it's not just a breach, but a fraudulent situation that the FCC and FTC need to be made aware of. 

Anyone experiencing this situation is advised to expend any energy needed..... 

Text messages aren't the issue. It's the missed calls, the lack of missed call notification, and the lack of voicemail notification for 3-4 hours. 

This is inexcusable. 

The US Uniform Commercial Code has a 'fitness of purpose act'  that states simply that anything purchased to perform a function should do just that. 

If a phone misses calls due to 'technical difficulties' which are slowly, if at all, being addressed, can it actually be classified as a phone? 

Or is it a glorified game playing device that receives calls when the planets are aligned just right? 

It should equally bind AT&T to provide the services for which they're being paid under the terms of the same contract.

If they can't, and knew that fact beforehand, it's not just a breach, but a fraudulent situation that the FCC and FTC need to be made aware of. 

[ Edited ]
413 of 499 (1,275 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 8:16:36 PM
(0)
Mentor

(continued)  to bring enough pressure either via email, social media, or face to face conversation of this issue if it effects you. 

It doesn't effect all customers, but some might well be who are just passing it off as a one time situation, or were discouraged by the punch list diagnostics of first and second tier CSRs: people - unwilling to go through all of it again when it's not the phone, but the network itself, causing the problem. 

We need solutions, not lip service answers. We're tired of paying for services misrepresented and undelivered under a contract which binds us but offers little recourse when the services for which we are paying are not delivered as contracted with no firm solution forthcoming within a reasonable time frame. 

Purely bad faith dealing going on here.... 

(continued)  to bring enough pressure either via email, social media, or face to face conversation of this issue if it effects you. 

It doesn't effect all customers, but some might well be who are just passing it off as a one time situation, or were discouraged by the punch list diagnostics of first and second tier CSRs: people - unwilling to go through all of it again when it's not the phone, but the network itself, causing the problem. 

We need solutions, not lip service answers. We're tired of paying for services misrepresented and undelivered under a contract which binds us but offers little recourse when the services for which we are paying are not delivered as contracted with no firm solution forthcoming within a reasonable time frame. 

Purely bad faith dealing going on here.... 

414 of 499 (1,270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 8:27:15 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Danvee on Aug 11, 2013 at 8:28:22 PM

Sorry to make it sound like a tirade, but all facts are laid out clearly, succinctly, and logically. 

We've been dealing with this since May and have spent untold hours on the phone to get to this point, which, oddly, is the same point at which we started. 

Hours wasted and no resolution in sight.... No concrete answers forthcoming. 

Just spending hundreds of $$ per month for services that are incapable of being rendered as per our contract. 

Frustrated?  Absolutely 

Feeling cheated and lied to?  Without the most microscopic doubt! 

Giving up?  Not on your life! 

Suggest that everyone else hold AT&T's feet to the fire on this until an equitable solution is found and implemented. 

Sorry to make it sound like a tirade, but all facts are laid out clearly, succinctly, and logically. 

We've been dealing with this since May and have spent untold hours on the phone to get to this point, which, oddly, is the same point at which we started. 

Hours wasted and no resolution in sight.... No concrete answers forthcoming. 

Just spending hundreds of $$ per month for services that are incapable of being rendered as per our contract. 

Frustrated?  Absolutely 

Feeling cheated and lied to?  Without the most microscopic doubt! 

Giving up?  Not on your life! 

Suggest that everyone else hold AT&T's feet to the fire on this until an equitable solution is found and implemented. 

[ Edited ]
415 of 499 (1,268 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2013 2:17:15 AM
(0)
Explorer

Danvee wrote:

This is inexcusable. 

Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like texting was the only thing I was concerned about. I'm affected by the missed calls as well, I just don't receive calls as often as I do texts. Sending a text out to anyone will work; you just need to do something to get your phone to connect to the voice side of the network. About 10% of the time I text Google, I get at least one voicemail notification that comes through with any missed texts as well. I just filed a complaint with the FCC, and hope to hear something back soon.

Danvee wrote:

This is inexcusable. 

Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like texting was the only thing I was concerned about. I'm affected by the missed calls as well, I just don't receive calls as often as I do texts. Sending a text out to anyone will work; you just need to do something to get your phone to connect to the voice side of the network. About 10% of the time I text Google, I get at least one voicemail notification that comes through with any missed texts as well. I just filed a complaint with the FCC, and hope to hear something back soon.

416 of 499 (1,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2013 3:56:04 PM
(0)
Mentor

If the multitudes of those effected by this made themselves known to the regulating agencies AT&T would have no choice but to fix it and compensate those parties for the breach. 

I for one have to keep my old Verizon phone active and carry 2 phones with me so I can be assured that I can receive a call. Everyone knows to call the second # if the first one goes straight to vm. 

Would be nice if AT&T's network were as reliable as Verizon. 

Again, noting that I'm in the NYC metro area.... 

If the multitudes of those effected by this made themselves known to the regulating agencies AT&T would have no choice but to fix it and compensate those parties for the breach. 

I for one have to keep my old Verizon phone active and carry 2 phones with me so I can be assured that I can receive a call. Everyone knows to call the second # if the first one goes straight to vm. 

Would be nice if AT&T's network were as reliable as Verizon. 

Again, noting that I'm in the NYC metro area.... 

417 of 499 (1,187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 8:43:39 PM
(0)
Contributor

Wow. Was I surprised to find the multitudes of people who are having the same issue I am.

My issue- that I know of only consists of missed texts. But, that being said, how do you know you arent getting calls unless someone contacts you on an alternative number to tell you??

I started using Samsung S3 3 weeks ago and for the past week or so, my wife said I'm not answering her texts. I've had her sitting next to me and watched her send some texts and nothing.   Im not sayinging they show up in a few minutes/hours/days, I'm saying that the texts dont show up AT ALL. EVER.

I can't say anything about phone calls. How do you know you aren't getting calls, unless someone calls to tell you.

I have no one on a blocked list.  I am currently doing a software update that I found in my settings menu.

I'm going to try the solution posted a few posts back if the update doesnt work.

To be frank, I need my phone for business. Texts from my wife are nice to get, but my main concern is losing business from people who think I dont answer their calls.  It's costing me my reputation and a great deal of money.

Please Help.

Network: Birmingham, AL. 

Wow. Was I surprised to find the multitudes of people who are having the same issue I am.

My issue- that I know of only consists of missed texts. But, that being said, how do you know you arent getting calls unless someone contacts you on an alternative number to tell you??

I started using Samsung S3 3 weeks ago and for the past week or so, my wife said I'm not answering her texts. I've had her sitting next to me and watched her send some texts and nothing.   Im not sayinging they show up in a few minutes/hours/days, I'm saying that the texts dont show up AT ALL. EVER.

I can't say anything about phone calls. How do you know you aren't getting calls, unless someone calls to tell you.

I have no one on a blocked list.  I am currently doing a software update that I found in my settings menu.

I'm going to try the solution posted a few posts back if the update doesnt work.

To be frank, I need my phone for business. Texts from my wife are nice to get, but my main concern is losing business from people who think I dont answer their calls.  It's costing me my reputation and a great deal of money.

Please Help.

Network: Birmingham, AL. 

418 of 499 (1,003 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 9:07:11 PM
(0)
Contributor

I just tried this fix, and it didnt work.  (sorry)

Thanks for the attempted fix.

I just tried this fix, and it didnt work.  (sorry)

Thanks for the attempted fix.

419 of 499 (999 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 6:27:18 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello everybody!

If you're having calling and/or texting issues with your phones, please make sure to let us know here, we'll do everything we can to fix them and report those issues to appropriate channels. Please include your name, phone number, current OS version, IMEI number, your location (City, State) and the best time you can be reached.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Hello everybody!

If you're having calling and/or texting issues with your phones, please make sure to let us know here, we'll do everything we can to fix them and report those issues to appropriate channels. Please include your name, phone number, current OS version, IMEI number, your location (City, State) and the best time you can be reached.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

420 of 499 (979 Views)