Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 9, 2012
5:15:14 PM
View profile
Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 17, 2013 5:51:42 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by jamileh on Feb 5, 2013 at 9:33:18 AM

Guys,

I got this issue fixed. You dont have to remove the battery or even restart your phone for that matter. This problem occurs mainly because of 4G LTE. I dont know if its the phone or the service. So, I have found an alternative.

What you need to do is add a new APN and run your device on 3G so that you can still get calls and browse until att or samsung fixes this issue. You can either use 4G toggle which you can download from google play to toggle between 3g and 4g. Or you can add as I have said above the new APN. Please go to Settings -> More settings -> Mobile Networks ->Access point names-> (+ new APN) . Give the Name of your choice but the APN should be defined as wap.cingular and finally save it. Change the existing apn to your newly created apn. Go to you home menu and you will see the 4G is used insted 4G LTE. You can even check your speed by using speed test.

Actually now I even have fewer dropped calls and I get the calls as soon as they call it. 

Please watch the below url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TqXFd5aJcuY or read this link : http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-iii/243505-jelly-bean-4-1-1-phone-calls-bug.html

<CM EDIT:

We are researching this but I have marked jan_raghavan's suggestion as an Accepted Solution for the time being because it's worked for a couple people. 

I have to note that this is NOT an AT&T solution and it will limit your capabilities on the device because you won't be on 4G but since it's helped a few of you, I want to make sure it's visible.>

Accepted Solution

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

498 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
View all replies
(498)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2013 4:19:33 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Danvee on Apr 5, 2013 at 4:20:42 PM

I spoke to an engineering person - one who actually acknowledged the issue, and was in process of correcting it, NOT a CSR.
As of this afternoon we went back to original settings (did a reset to be sure) and 4G LTE and WiFi and texting seem to be coexisting.
So far - so good ..... At least in our area.
Cautiously optimistic for now...

I spoke to an engineering person - one who actually acknowledged the issue, and was in process of correcting it, NOT a CSR.
As of this afternoon we went back to original settings (did a reset to be sure) and 4G LTE and WiFi and texting seem to be coexisting.
So far - so good ..... At least in our area.
Cautiously optimistic for now...

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

[ Edited ]
301 of 499 (2,885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2013 9:44:13 AM
(0)
Explorer

I love how the reps can take the time to remove messages they feel thta are hacks to a propblem we are trying to fix ,But will not take the time to let us know that there is a problem and how or when it can get fixed.

I love how the reps can take the time to remove messages they feel thta are hacks to a propblem we are trying to fix ,But will not take the time to let us know that there is a problem and how or when it can get fixed.

302 of 499 (2,773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2013 10:35:19 AM
(0)
Teacher

The refurb actually came with 4.1.1 and i made sure not to update and then one morning it had updated?  Maybe I did it with my butt/pocket or maybe I had too much to drink but I did not consciencly click to update.  Anyway it is a mystery to me and it is now working on 4.1.2 after the update?

The refurb actually came with 4.1.1 and i made sure not to update and then one morning it had updated?  Maybe I did it with my butt/pocket or maybe I had too much to drink but I did not consciencly click to update.  Anyway it is a mystery to me and it is now working on 4.1.2 after the update?

303 of 499 (2,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2013 10:36:58 AM
(0)
Scholar
att is the worst company ever on this planet when it comes to customer service.
now go ahead and delete this massage as well...
att is the worst company ever on this planet when it comes to customer service.
now go ahead and delete this massage as well...

304 of 499 (2,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2013 4:42:52 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Danvee on Apr 7, 2013 at 4:43:47 PM

When did you get the update?
As of this moment I'm still on 4.1.1 and no updates available..

When did you get the update?
As of this moment I'm still on 4.1.1 and no updates available..

[ Edited ]
305 of 499 (2,742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2013 6:43:01 AM
(0)
Explorer
This is supposed to be the day this gets "fixed". As was mentioned, it may be a regional fix, so if something is done in your region, please post it on here to let us all know it was done, and if it helped at all.
This is supposed to be the day this gets "fixed". As was mentioned, it may be a regional fix, so if something is done in your region, please post it on here to let us all know it was done, and if it helped at all.

306 of 499 (2,701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2013 4:31:34 PM
(0)
Mentor
As of this second, it is not fixed. They have until midnight.
Fwiw, we spoke with AT&T CS, and, taking ownership of the situation, they made a satisfactory adjustment to our last month's bill, and will continue to do so until the situation is rectified.
It's not fixed, but the issue has been made more palatable.
If enough consumers pursue this through the correct channels, it will be financially worth it to AT&T to fix the issue.
As of this second, it is not fixed. They have until midnight.
Fwiw, we spoke with AT&T CS, and, taking ownership of the situation, they made a satisfactory adjustment to our last month's bill, and will continue to do so until the situation is rectified.
It's not fixed, but the issue has been made more palatable.
If enough consumers pursue this through the correct channels, it will be financially worth it to AT&T to fix the issue.

307 of 499 (2,659 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2013 3:00:21 PM
(0)
Mentor
Midnight has come and gone.
Issue still exists, but, as I said, it's costing them $$$ every day.
Midnight has come and gone.
Issue still exists, but, as I said, it's costing them $$$ every day.

308 of 499 (2,574 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2013 7:15:46 PM
(0)
Explorer
I want my bill adjusted too. What specific terms did you use when you described the issue to CS?
I want my bill adjusted too. What specific terms did you use when you described the issue to CS?

309 of 499 (2,546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2013 10:02:22 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Danvee on Apr 10, 2013 at 10:04:16 AM

Simply that calls and texts were being missed, and the only recourse was to turn off WiFi, or disable 4G LTE.

Either way, you weren't getting the services for which you were paying or getting full use of the phone and its functions. 

They can 'see' the missed calls and texts. In our case, the call would go straight to VM, and the intended recipient would show neither a missed call nor a VM. 

It might also have been helpful that we were a new activation, with 3 phones, and within a time frame that would have had us returning everything and going with a different carrier. 

Also, we were insistent, but pleasant and polite, asking for escalation as needed. 

Simply that calls and texts were being missed, and the only recourse was to turn off WiFi, or disable 4G LTE.

Either way, you weren't getting the services for which you were paying or getting full use of the phone and its functions. 

They can 'see' the missed calls and texts. In our case, the call would go straight to VM, and the intended recipient would show neither a missed call nor a VM. 

It might also have been helpful that we were a new activation, with 3 phones, and within a time frame that would have had us returning everything and going with a different carrier. 

Also, we were insistent, but pleasant and polite, asking for escalation as needed. 

[ Edited ]
310 of 499 (2,482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2013 11:53:12 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Homeuser on Apr 10, 2013 at 11:57:24 AM

I am looking to switch from T-Mobile to AT&T....but now I'm scared to even get the SGS3.....I have similar issues with TM, but also have terible service with them...

I am looking to switch from T-Mobile to AT&T....but now I'm scared to even get the SGS3.....I have similar issues with TM, but also have terible service with them...

[ Edited ]
311 of 499 (2,471 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2013 11:57:59 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Homeuser on Apr 10, 2013 at 11:58:33 AM

Also looking into the S4 now...too..

Also looking into the S4 now...too..

[ Edited ]
312 of 499 (2,468 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2013 12:25:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just discovered that if I call the Galaxy S3 from another cell phone It will ring and I can receive text.  But if I call the Galaxy from a land line phone it will not ring but the Galaxy goes to VM.  Suggestions?

I just discovered that if I call the Galaxy S3 from another cell phone It will ring and I can receive text.  But if I call the Galaxy from a land line phone it will not ring but the Galaxy goes to VM.  Suggestions?

313 of 499 (2,366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2013 4:31:30 AM
(0)
Explorer
We have brought it to their attention and there have been varying levels of recognition of the issue. Many of us have kind of given up due to a lack of real solution. I am stuck for another year and definitely will consider switching when the contract is up.
We have brought it to their attention and there have been varying levels of recognition of the issue. Many of us have kind of given up due to a lack of real solution. I am stuck for another year and definitely will consider switching when the contract is up.

314 of 499 (2,305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2013 5:18:49 AM
(0)
Explorer
We can file a formal complaint with the FCC on their website. I urge everyone on here to do so. One lone voice will probably not help, but all of us will get their attention. Also AT&T continues to advertise their 4G LTE system, so maybe we can help some poor soul to miss all the aggravation we have experienced. I tried not to go this route, but as another date for resolution has cone and gone, it is apparent AT&T has either no intention of fixing this, or they simply do not have the ability to do so.
We can file a formal complaint with the FCC on their website. I urge everyone on here to do so. One lone voice will probably not help, but all of us will get their attention. Also AT&T continues to advertise their 4G LTE system, so maybe we can help some poor soul to miss all the aggravation we have experienced. I tried not to go this route, but as another date for resolution has cone and gone, it is apparent AT&T has either no intention of fixing this, or they simply do not have the ability to do so.

315 of 499 (2,299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2013 6:14:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

I'm not sure it is an ATT problem because Verizon and other carriers have folks with Galzxy with the same problem.  I really think it is a Samsung problems and we are on our second Galaxy in a month because of other unexplainable problems.  Also, I have an Iphone 5 that does not have this problems.  My husband has the Galaxy s3 that does not ring.  I posted earlier that if I call the Galaxy with my Iphone it will ring but not if I call using a land line.  While that test only worked on and off with cell to cell. 

I'm not sure it is an ATT problem because Verizon and other carriers have folks with Galzxy with the same problem.  I really think it is a Samsung problems and we are on our second Galaxy in a month because of other unexplainable problems.  Also, I have an Iphone 5 that does not have this problems.  My husband has the Galaxy s3 that does not ring.  I posted earlier that if I call the Galaxy with my Iphone it will ring but not if I call using a land line.  While that test only worked on and off with cell to cell. 

316 of 499 (2,282 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2013 6:24:11 AM
(0)
Explorer

One of the technical support persons I talked to did recognize the issue and confimed to me that it's an issue with LTE. Both Android and iPhone phones should be impacted by this. My colleagues in the office experience the same issue with their iPhones. 

One of the technical support persons I talked to did recognize the issue and confimed to me that it's an issue with LTE. Both Android and iPhone phones should be impacted by this. My colleagues in the office experience the same issue with their iPhones. 

317 of 499 (2,279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2013 6:40:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

No problem with our Iphone5 but since other carriers are having this problem maybe it's the LTE for all carriers?

No problem with our Iphone5 but since other carriers are having this problem maybe it's the LTE for all carriers?

318 of 499 (2,276 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2013 6:51:45 AM
(0)
Explorer

The technician described the issue as a switching problem between LTE and 3G, at least for AT&T. I suppose if the LTE signal is weak or lost, the phone will be swtiched to 3G for the services to continue. It appears that in many cases the switching does not happen properly and the phones are stuck in the "no signal" stage. It's possible this issue could happen to other carriers at least in theory. There seem to be more people complaning about AT&T LTE than that of any other carriers - based on my google search. Many colleagues of mine in the office use GS3 with VZ and they don't have any signal issue. 

The technician described the issue as a switching problem between LTE and 3G, at least for AT&T. I suppose if the LTE signal is weak or lost, the phone will be swtiched to 3G for the services to continue. It appears that in many cases the switching does not happen properly and the phones are stuck in the "no signal" stage. It's possible this issue could happen to other carriers at least in theory. There seem to be more people complaning about AT&T LTE than that of any other carriers - based on my google search. Many colleagues of mine in the office use GS3 with VZ and they don't have any signal issue. 

319 of 499 (2,273 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2013 7:14:43 AM
(0)
Tutor

Our GS3 can receive text, ring tone for the text message coming in but it does not ring for incoming calls.  Is this the same for all of you?

Our GS3 can receive text, ring tone for the text message coming in but it does not ring for incoming calls.  Is this the same for all of you?

320 of 499 (2,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2013 7:19:20 AM
(0)
Explorer
I, too, have been told this is a "circuit switch fallback" issue. Apparently, in order to save battery life, AT&T chose to have the phones stay in LTE only (which is a data-only system), and then if a call or text comes in, the phone "falls back" to 4g to take the call or text. This way, only one radio in the phone is working at a time instead of two, thus saving battery life. Looks great on paper, just isn't working in real life. I think AT&T put all their eggs in the fallback basket, and it doesn't work. They can't figure out how to fix it without re-doing the who system, and are in a world of you know what over this. Why else treat your customers this way? Even if they refuse to let people out of their contracts, eventually all our contracts will expire, and we will move on. Believe me, I hope they CAN fix it somehow, I'm stuck for almost a year yet. But if we let them sit on this, and more people sign up for it, they will string it along until they are ready to start whatever system comes along next. When will that be? Next year? Five years?
I, too, have been told this is a "circuit switch fallback" issue. Apparently, in order to save battery life, AT&T chose to have the phones stay in LTE only (which is a data-only system), and then if a call or text comes in, the phone "falls back" to 4g to take the call or text. This way, only one radio in the phone is working at a time instead of two, thus saving battery life. Looks great on paper, just isn't working in real life. I think AT&T put all their eggs in the fallback basket, and it doesn't work. They can't figure out how to fix it without re-doing the who system, and are in a world of you know what over this. Why else treat your customers this way? Even if they refuse to let people out of their contracts, eventually all our contracts will expire, and we will move on. Believe me, I hope they CAN fix it somehow, I'm stuck for almost a year yet. But if we let them sit on this, and more people sign up for it, they will string it along until they are ready to start whatever system comes along next. When will that be? Next year? Five years?

321 of 499 (2,266 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2013 7:42:34 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by contactparag on Apr 12, 2013 at 7:47:53 AM

Danvee wrote:

Received credit with case open to resolve issue in 3 days.

In my case I had replaced phone (new), sim, network reset couple of times - so I had 4-5 earlier calls to customer care for this issue with first issue reported in 2012 end.

So explain CSR (in polite tone) that you are having issue from xyz months, you have called earlier, tried xyz solution & mention you have paid for phone upgrade with 2 years contract & paying xyz/month but still missing calls.

If CSR mentions to disable LTE to resolve issue then may be ask him how to do & let him explain the process.

At the end ask him for bill adjustment / credit since you upgraded phone but still being forced to disable LTE to receive calls.

Danvee wrote:

Received credit with case open to resolve issue in 3 days.

In my case I had replaced phone (new), sim, network reset couple of times - so I had 4-5 earlier calls to customer care for this issue with first issue reported in 2012 end.

So explain CSR (in polite tone) that you are having issue from xyz months, you have called earlier, tried xyz solution & mention you have paid for phone upgrade with 2 years contract & paying xyz/month but still missing calls.

If CSR mentions to disable LTE to resolve issue then may be ask him how to do & let him explain the process.

At the end ask him for bill adjustment / credit since you upgraded phone but still being forced to disable LTE to receive calls.

[ Edited ]
322 of 499 (2,258 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2013 7:41:55 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Danvee on Apr 12, 2013 at 7:42:59 PM

If more people hit them in the stockholders' wallets with this the quicker it'll be resolved.
Continue to follow up on your case. They log every time you call, and log every missed call/text.
You should be able have the adjustment be applied to every billing automatically until the issue is resolved.

If more people hit them in the stockholders' wallets with this the quicker it'll be resolved.
Continue to follow up on your case. They log every time you call, and log every missed call/text.
You should be able have the adjustment be applied to every billing automatically until the issue is resolved.

[ Edited ]
323 of 499 (2,196 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2013 8:06:49 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm experiencing the same issues with calls not coming through, and it's been making using my phone for my work difficult and frustrating. The lack of concern and urgency on ATT's part has driven me to come to the conclusion that I'm most likely going to jump ship to another carrier once my contract is up. If I suddenly stopped holding up my end of the bargain and quit paying my bill I'm sure they would spring into action, but the fact that right now I am paying for phone/data service that doesn't work as intended certainly doesn't seem to get them to worked up. ATT needs to consider that consumers vote with their dollars, and I'll be voting with mine by taking them to another carrier.

I'm experiencing the same issues with calls not coming through, and it's been making using my phone for my work difficult and frustrating. The lack of concern and urgency on ATT's part has driven me to come to the conclusion that I'm most likely going to jump ship to another carrier once my contract is up. If I suddenly stopped holding up my end of the bargain and quit paying my bill I'm sure they would spring into action, but the fact that right now I am paying for phone/data service that doesn't work as intended certainly doesn't seem to get them to worked up. ATT needs to consider that consumers vote with their dollars, and I'll be voting with mine by taking them to another carrier.

324 of 499 (2,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2013 12:16:39 PM
(0)
Mentor
True, but complaining to us does nothing.
Complaining to AT&T, setting up a ticket, and requesting a billing adjustment will incentivise them to fix the issue.
Imagine if everyone effected did that.
The stockholders would hold management's feet to the fire until it was corrected.
Money talks...... Large amounts of money are obeyed.
True, but complaining to us does nothing.
Complaining to AT&T, setting up a ticket, and requesting a billing adjustment will incentivise them to fix the issue.
Imagine if everyone effected did that.
The stockholders would hold management's feet to the fire until it was corrected.
Money talks...... Large amounts of money are obeyed.

325 of 499 (2,079 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2013 12:46:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have the same issue since November. Tried all trouble shoooting steps. I posted it on AT&T's facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/ATT/posts/10151354193843909 ) which got hugh attention from AT&T initially but then they stopped replying. I reached out to them on twitter, they were very quick to respond but the Tier 1 support just can't help you. I wrote to engadget, the verge and other blogs but they didnt think it interesting enough because it was only me who complained.

The only way to get this issue fixed is getting AT&T's attention. And only way to get AT&T's attention is when they stop receiving $$$. I have received credit of $250 so far. I also received a brand new Note II (Not replacement, they let me keep my Galaxy S3 and sent me additional phone for free) which is worth around $700. I encourage everyone to do the same. This is the only way they will get attention.

I have the same issue since November. Tried all trouble shoooting steps. I posted it on AT&T's facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/ATT/posts/10151354193843909 ) which got hugh attention from AT&T initially but then they stopped replying. I reached out to them on twitter, they were very quick to respond but the Tier 1 support just can't help you. I wrote to engadget, the verge and other blogs but they didnt think it interesting enough because it was only me who complained.

The only way to get this issue fixed is getting AT&T's attention. And only way to get AT&T's attention is when they stop receiving $$$. I have received credit of $250 so far. I also received a brand new Note II (Not replacement, they let me keep my Galaxy S3 and sent me additional phone for free) which is worth around $700. I encourage everyone to do the same. This is the only way they will get attention.

326 of 499 (1,932 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2013 1:00:56 PM
(0)
Mentor

AnnoyedAngryUser wrote:

What department at AT&T did you speak to for these adjustments to your account?

AnnoyedAngryUser wrote:

What department at AT&T did you speak to for these adjustments to your account?

327 of 499 (1,926 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2013 11:58:38 AM
(0)
Voyager
When is 4.1.2 going to be released for the S3???
When is 4.1.2 going to be released for the S3???

328 of 499 (1,805 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2013 6:03:18 PM
(0)
Mentor

Maybe some day.... Given AT&T's history with updates... Maybe after 5.0 is released. 

Maybe never..... Only time will tell, as nobody at AT&T is going to tell us - until it actually happens. 

Maybe some day.... Given AT&T's history with updates... Maybe after 5.0 is released. 

Maybe never..... Only time will tell, as nobody at AT&T is going to tell us - until it actually happens. 

329 of 499 (1,776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2013 9:03:41 PM
(0)
Contributor

I feel so angry!!!!

Because of this problem, I missed my phone interview call  !!!!

Can anyone tell me whether it's the phone issue or AT&T issue ?

I will absolutely change one of them to its competitor's product !

I feel so angry!!!!

Because of this problem, I missed my phone interview call  !!!!

Can anyone tell me whether it's the phone issue or AT&T issue ?

I will absolutely change one of them to its competitor's product !

330 of 499 (1,706 Views)