Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

Teacher

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

You dont have to do any of those. Please look at my solution above. There is also a video link.

Message 61 of 499 (11,060 Views)
Explorer

Update. I went to a device service support location and got my SIM replaced. The issue has not reoccured since. 

Message 62 of 499 (11,023 Views)

Thanks jan_raghavan for your solution!  I was just on the phone with the retention departmart at ATT, and stumbled on this post.  Both my wife and I have been having the exact same problem.  And after adding a new APN her phone works perfectly.  

For those who are not tecnhically savy, it's an easy solution.  Check out the youtube video and give it a try.  And call ATT and tell them to find a solution to the problem, it's technically a work around but I can't complain too much since the calls are working now.

Message 63 of 499 (10,942 Views)

Sorry, I spoke too soon. After looking at my wife's phone about 10 minutes later the APN that I created was gone. As a result I tried the solution posed by contactparag, and I am hoping that works.
Message 64 of 499 (10,935 Views)
Tutor

Wanted to let you all know I was in a St. Louis corporate store today and a rep told me that att is aware of this problem.  He told me an email went out last week to stop replacing SIM cards and phones because, as we all know, that won't fix it.  No eta on a fix though.  He did say it was limited to the St. Louis area, but I thought I had read people outside this market had this issue on here or another forum.  He confirmed that the only fix right now is to disable lte as others on here have discovered.  I've been following this forum for a while, trying to fix my wifes phone.  Thought I'd pass this nugget along....

Message 65 of 499 (10,904 Views)
Teacher

Hi,

Did you restart your phone, it yes you need to create it again. Also, once you create it, you need to save it and then press home. Somehow, I dont have problems anymore after this fix. Anyways, good luck.

Message 66 of 499 (10,864 Views)
Explorer

Update. Replacing the SIM did not fix the issue (as also previously mentioned by some people). The support rep thinks it's likely a problem with my phone and gave me a replacement. I will see if this is the case. 

Message 67 of 499 (10,711 Views)
Teacher

I finally got a call from AT&T and they gave me a trend number.  She mentioned that AT&T is aware of a problem with the phones not waking up when on LTE network and they are working on a fix.  She mentioned the problem was that something is causing the phones not to switch from LTE (data) to voice, therefore, the missed calls.  She said this can happen with outgoing calls, that is why some people hear nothing when trying to make a call (the phone is stuck in LTE mode).  As a temporary work around, she suggested I add an APN that forced the phone to connect to 3G/4G or turn off data when connected to WIFI and turn it back on when I leave the house.  I honestly hope that she is telling the truth, and AT&T is definitely working on a fix, but, I am taking this information with a grain of salt.  

As an update, about a week or so ago, the issue was getting so bad, I would have to toggle the network about three or four times a day to get my phone to accept calls.  I finally turned off WIFI and have not had an issue since.  Of course, I am using up data on my data plan, so, this is not a desired fix.

Message 68 of 499 (10,694 Views)
Former Community Manager

[ Edited ]

Hey all, 

We are researching this but I have marked jan_raghavan's suggestion as an Accepted Solution for the time being because it's worked for a couple people. 

I have to note that this is NOT an AT&T solution and it will limit your capabilities on the device because you won't be on 4G but since it's helped a few of you, I want to make sure it's visible. 

Thanks jan_raghavan, for posting. Smiley Happy

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 69 of 499 (10,690 Views)
Tutor

I just tested out  jan_raghavan's fix and can confirm that it works.

I did 30 calls to my S3 prior to fix and 9 of them vanished as usual.

After disabling LTE, I made another 30 calls and all of them went through fine!! Also, I noticed that the caller had to wait much less for the call to connect..

It sucks that I dont have LTE , but at least my phone does what it is primarily meant to do. Thanks you jan_raghavan!!!!

Message 70 of 499 (10,665 Views)
Voyager

For what it is worth, I've been having this same issue since the update to jelly bean and I am no where near St. Louis. For those of you that have added another APN, are you now receiving phone calls when connected to wi-fi?  I only had the problem when my wi-fi was connected.  I didn't receive texts or email notifications either.  Anyone else have that issue? 

Message 71 of 499 (10,634 Views)
Contributor

I was on the conference call with AT&T Wireless Support level 2 and Samsung Tech Support Level 3 and as always AT&T blamed Samsungs hardware and Samsung Blamed AT&T LTE software, AT&T denied they had any information that there is a problem, the proble is this:

IF WIFI IS ENABLED ALL CALLS GO DIRECTLY TO VOICE MAIL, IF WIFI IS TURMED OFF CALLS ARE RECEIVED NORMALLY A WORK AROUND IS AFTER RECEIVE A CALL IF CAN GET ONE IS AFTER ARE DONE WITH THE CALL TURN ON AIRPLANE MODE FOR 60 SECONDS THEN TURN IT OFF WITH WIFI ENABLED IT WILL WORK YOU NEED TO DO THIS AFTER EACH CALL SO OBVIOUSLY THE PROBLEM IS WITH AT&T NOT THE PHONE

AT&T SUPPORT ALSO DOES NOT READ THESE FORUMS AND COULD NOT CARE LESS,, THESE FORUMS ARE MADE TO HAVE THINK AT&T CARES

THE SOLUTION THEY OFFERED ME IS TO CALL ASSURANE AND PAY $199 FOR A NEW PHONE OR WIFI OFF AND GET AN UNLIMITED DATA PLAN AT MY EXPENSE

AT&T SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Message 72 of 499 (10,554 Views)
Contributor

I also am having the same. Amongst these issues, as i dial out it beeps and the message "Call ended" appears. Then when I return to dial out again a prompt on my phone pops up stating "Emergancy calls only" I have addressed these problems with AT&T, I had the sim card repalced, reset the phon, booted and yet it still continues. I know others that have the GS3 belonging to other carriers, ie: Sprint and so on with out these problems.This is most definatly a network issue with AT&T., and for the money I pay, I would like it solved or its jump ship.

Message 73 of 499 (10,514 Views)
Contributor

This is an update to my posting last night I went into the AT&T Warranty Exchange office today in Las Vegas and was lucky that the store manager was the one that waited on me. As soon as I told her what was happening she knew about the problem and told me she had a bunch of customers that already came in. She said AT&T was aware of the problem and it is with their network software and they are working on it and that there is nothing wrong with the phones. I told her about the idts from AT&T I spoke to last night. Anyway the manager from the Warrenty exchange store is welll versed and she was nice and apoligized. But you all can be assured that AT&T is working on the problem and is aware of it.

n5374f wrote:

I was on the conference call with AT&T Wireless Support level 2 and Samsung Tech Support Level 3 and as always AT&T blamed Samsungs hardware and Samsung Blamed AT&T LTE software, AT&T denied they had any information that there is a problem, the proble is this:

IF WIFI IS ENABLED ALL CALLS GO DIRECTLY TO VOICE MAIL, IF WIFI IS TURMED OFF CALLS ARE RECEIVED NORMALLY A WORK AROUND IS AFTER RECEIVE A CALL IF CAN GET ONE IS AFTER ARE DONE WITH THE CALL TURN ON AIRPLANE MODE FOR 60 SECONDS THEN TURN IT OFF WITH WIFI ENABLED IT WILL WORK YOU NEED TO DO THIS AFTER EACH CALL SO OBVIOUSLY THE PROBLEM IS WITH AT&T NOT THE PHONE

AT&T SUPPORT ALSO DOES NOT READ THESE FORUMS AND COULD NOT CARE LESS,, THESE FORUMS ARE MADE TO HAVE THINK AT&T CARES

THE SOLUTION THEY OFFERED ME IS TO CALL ASSURANE AND PAY $199 FOR A NEW PHONE OR WIFI OFF AND GET AN UNLIMITED DATA PLAN AT MY EXPENSE

AT&T SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Message 74 of 499 (10,467 Views)
Voyager

I am in the Cleveland Area and we have AT&T LTE network active in our area. The problem didn't seem to exist when I first got my Galaxy S3 a couple of weeks ago. I upgraded to the 4.1.1 OS version about a week after I got the phone but didn’t notice any problems immediately after the upgrade. In the recent days, I have notice that it takes 5-7 seconds (longer than expected) to connect outgoing calls, usually when calling my voicemail. Half of the time these outbound calls would fail. This is what sparked my interest to test with problem.  My wife got the iPhone 5 at the same time I upgrade to the Galaxy. So these are my findings:

• I attempted to call my voicemail 5 out of 10 times the call failed to connect/never connected with a "Call Ended".
  • Incoming calls either go right to voicemail or more times than not, go right to a fast beep (not a busy signal, sounding like the number is out of order).
  • If a incoming call was going to successfully, the caller (from land line and cellphone) would ring about 2-4 times before my phone would start to ring
  • I attempted to call the cellphone with a land line and an automated voice message responded with an "unable to complete your call
  • I am able to repeat this issue with a 50% rate doing all test cases, incoming and outgoing, using the land line and cellphones.
  • These same tests were performed with my wife's iPhone 5 as a control, using the same network, same towers, same location, except it was not a galaxy S3. I was unable to get the problem to occur with the iPhone 5. 10 out of 10 try’s with no problems (and of course she hasn't experience any problems like I have prior to these tests)
  • No problems with data, SMS, browsing, WIFI.
  • I turned of WIFI and performed the same tests, same failure results
  • I turned of Mobile Data and performed the same test, same failure results

Ok. Now I switched the Galaxy S3's APN to use 3G/4G HSPA wap.cingular (non-LTE) Access points. The problem no longer exists as it did with LTE APN in use. All of the test cases I performed to reproduce the problem with LTE APN in used didn't fail when I was pointing to the Non-LTE APN.

• When the call is made to the Galaxy S3 the phone rings within one second.
  • When calling out the phone begins ring with
  • I do experience connectivity issues now.  The photo periodically disconnects completely (only Emergency calls is allowed) from the network for about 30 seconds each time and then reconnects. I don’t know why this happens and it may be because I didn’t setup something up correctly.
  • The phone behaves like a phone again (minus the disconnect-reconnect issue now)

I have seen reports that iPhone 5 users experience these symptoms a couple of month ago.  However, Apple is very proactive and diligent with protecting their brand (hence they control iOS phone updates and not the carrier).  I wouldn’t be surprised if one of their updates provided software workaround for this LTE challenge that Samsung users have been experiencing as well.  

I notice that as soon as I call my Wife’s iPhone 5, the network indicator quickly switches from “LTE” to “4G” (HSPA).  So the iPhone’s software/hardware is actively and quickly switch off the LTE to handle the call within the second it is made.

In conclusion, I would put the onus on AT&T and Samsung equally.  If my wife’s iPhone uses the same network technology as my Galaxy does then Apple is going to bat for her.  Samsung brand is suffering since most people will blame the phone if their spouse’s phone is working find but mine isn’t. 

I am inside my 30 day window and will be returning the Galaxy S3 since I know down the road Samsung and ATT are unable to get along to resolve these types of problems quickly.

Message 75 of 499 (10,440 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.