Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 9, 2012
5:15:14 PM
View profile
Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 17, 2013 5:51:42 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by jamileh on Feb 5, 2013 at 9:33:18 AM

Guys,

I got this issue fixed. You dont have to remove the battery or even restart your phone for that matter. This problem occurs mainly because of 4G LTE. I dont know if its the phone or the service. So, I have found an alternative.

What you need to do is add a new APN and run your device on 3G so that you can still get calls and browse until att or samsung fixes this issue. You can either use 4G toggle which you can download from google play to toggle between 3g and 4g. Or you can add as I have said above the new APN. Please go to Settings -> More settings -> Mobile Networks ->Access point names-> (+ new APN) . Give the Name of your choice but the APN should be defined as wap.cingular and finally save it. Change the existing apn to your newly created apn. Go to you home menu and you will see the 4G is used insted 4G LTE. You can even check your speed by using speed test.

Actually now I even have fewer dropped calls and I get the calls as soon as they call it. 

Please watch the below url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TqXFd5aJcuY or read this link : http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-iii/243505-jelly-bean-4-1-1-phone-calls-bug.html

<CM EDIT:

We are researching this but I have marked jan_raghavan's suggestion as an Accepted Solution for the time being because it's worked for a couple people. 

I have to note that this is NOT an AT&T solution and it will limit your capabilities on the device because you won't be on 4G but since it's helped a few of you, I want to make sure it's visible.>

Accepted Solution

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

498 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
View all replies
(498)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 6:41:38 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by m.a.s.e on Aug 16, 2013 at 7:57:28 AM

If u only knew how many times I did that with absolutely ZERO support or response.

I got a so called escalation then they called me back one time while I was at work only to notify me that since I didn't answer ATT will be closing the escalation ticket (for the3rd time) and if I want I can start the process again.

Safe to say u (att) won and I simply gave up on any type of support.

I was charged for months full usage for LTE while couldn't use it.

All I keep hearing is "were sorry please call again", really? Call again and talk to a front line tier1 support that will read from a script and tell me to replace my sim, phone, toaster, fridge. Shut off my router and turn it back on and every other none logical and useless solution they keep reading from that silly script they see on their screen.

Due to ETF I had no choice but to be stuck with att service. The smartest thing I did is to get a new phone and get rid of your poor attempt of an OS. Now the great part here that you just wrote for everyone that have this issue to simply send u guys a support request on a different format then this forum.

Meaning u guys will do zero attempts to help us all here and just let us continue to suffer with zero support on "support forum". Most likely this forum mods are contracted to just keep a clean language but to give no tech support.

This should be a unified attempt from att to fix a massive issue. Not go on the route of "devide and concur" and tell us all to individually file a support request that will go again to useless tier 1 representative And make us stop complaining here for all to see.

Great trick to get money u don't deserve. Thank you M.a.S.e - another unsatisfied suffering att customer.....

If u only knew how many times I did that with absolutely ZERO support or response.

I got a so called escalation then they called me back one time while I was at work only to notify me that since I didn't answer ATT will be closing the escalation ticket (for the3rd time) and if I want I can start the process again.

Safe to say u (att) won and I simply gave up on any type of support.

I was charged for months full usage for LTE while couldn't use it.

All I keep hearing is "were sorry please call again", really? Call again and talk to a front line tier1 support that will read from a script and tell me to replace my sim, phone, toaster, fridge. Shut off my router and turn it back on and every other none logical and useless solution they keep reading from that silly script they see on their screen.

Due to ETF I had no choice but to be stuck with att service. The smartest thing I did is to get a new phone and get rid of your poor attempt of an OS. Now the great part here that you just wrote for everyone that have this issue to simply send u guys a support request on a different format then this forum.

Meaning u guys will do zero attempts to help us all here and just let us continue to suffer with zero support on "support forum". Most likely this forum mods are contracted to just keep a clean language but to give no tech support.

This should be a unified attempt from att to fix a massive issue. Not go on the route of "devide and concur" and tell us all to individually file a support request that will go again to useless tier 1 representative And make us stop complaining here for all to see.

Great trick to get money u don't deserve. Thank you M.a.S.e - another unsatisfied suffering att customer.....

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

[ Edited ]
421 of 499 (1,687 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 7:43:35 AM
(0)
Community Manager
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Aug 16, 2013 at 7:44:36 AM

Hello m.a.s.e, the link is to send us a private message. I apologize you had some bad experiences with out tech support in the past. Let me please clarify. Mods are here to make sure this forum is a pleasant place for everybody (moderation) and Community Managers are here to communicate with users, and to connect them to the right person that can help. ATTCustomerCare managers (via private message that I posted a link to) are here ho help with specific problems, they go above and beyond to fix customer's issues. If there is a problem with your account or equipment they will help, if you believe the issue is widespread, they will need to get more details from users experiencing issues so it can be addressed. That's why we ask for private messages.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello m.a.s.e, the link is to send us a private message. I apologize you had some bad experiences with out tech support in the past. Let me please clarify. Mods are here to make sure this forum is a pleasant place for everybody (moderation) and Community Managers are here to communicate with users, and to connect them to the right person that can help. ATTCustomerCare managers (via private message that I posted a link to) are here ho help with specific problems, they go above and beyond to fix customer's issues. If there is a problem with your account or equipment they will help, if you believe the issue is widespread, they will need to get more details from users experiencing issues so it can be addressed. That's why we ask for private messages.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
422 of 499 (1,679 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 8:29:41 AM
(0)
Scholar

1. i had Nemours amount of "private massages" "tier 3 calls" "tier 1 calls" and whatever else you can think of. 

2. if i "believe" this is a wide spread? are u serious? 

havnt u read all the pages here. can u honestly say u still think its a 1 user issue? 

3. i lost hope a long time ago and i am seriously tired of hearing each time a new person writing the same exact thing cause now its your shift and too lazy to read the entire thread again. 

obviously u guys get no notifications or do a normal shift transfer of known issues. cause each time there is a new ATT employee name on this thread is the same story re-explaining everything from scratch and listening to the same exact comments from reps. 

if ATT really cared. they wouldve contacted me a long time ago, especially since i am the ONLY one who gave the ONLY temp fix that fix the issue. Nuff said. 

1. i had Nemours amount of "private massages" "tier 3 calls" "tier 1 calls" and whatever else you can think of. 

2. if i "believe" this is a wide spread? are u serious? 

havnt u read all the pages here. can u honestly say u still think its a 1 user issue? 

3. i lost hope a long time ago and i am seriously tired of hearing each time a new person writing the same exact thing cause now its your shift and too lazy to read the entire thread again. 

obviously u guys get no notifications or do a normal shift transfer of known issues. cause each time there is a new ATT employee name on this thread is the same story re-explaining everything from scratch and listening to the same exact comments from reps. 

if ATT really cared. they wouldve contacted me a long time ago, especially since i am the ONLY one who gave the ONLY temp fix that fix the issue. Nuff said. 

423 of 499 (1,668 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 10:39:09 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by coxkun3 on Aug 16, 2013 at 11:07:09 AM

ATTENTION AT&T EMPLOYESS READING THIS:

I have replied to those private message "temptations" 3 times now.  The front line will tell you they really care, it will get escalated to Tier 2, you will wait a week and then when you call back (not when they call you back in most cases), your case is closed because "the issue has been resolved"  There are countless others who have done this as well.

If you really do want to assist, private message is an insult to us who have gone through it time and time again.  I believe some of you really would like to help, however, that is not the way.  Talk with your supervisors, have them check out this post and provide real help.  This is causing people who have been loyal to AT&T for years looking at Verizon Plans instead...

ATTENTION AT&T EMPLOYESS READING THIS:

I have replied to those private message "temptations" 3 times now.  The front line will tell you they really care, it will get escalated to Tier 2, you will wait a week and then when you call back (not when they call you back in most cases), your case is closed because "the issue has been resolved"  There are countless others who have done this as well.

If you really do want to assist, private message is an insult to us who have gone through it time and time again.  I believe some of you really would like to help, however, that is not the way.  Talk with your supervisors, have them check out this post and provide real help.  This is causing people who have been loyal to AT&T for years looking at Verizon Plans instead...

[ Edited ]
424 of 499 (1,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 1:34:31 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi coxkun3,

I just checked in on your case and I see that it is still open and our top tech experts are still investigating. I'm sorry there isn't a quick solution to this complicated issue. We appreciate your patience.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Social Media Manager

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

Hi coxkun3,

I just checked in on your case and I see that it is still open and our top tech experts are still investigating. I'm sorry there isn't a quick solution to this complicated issue. We appreciate your patience.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Social Media Manager

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

425 of 499 (1,622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 2:10:15 PM
(0)
Teacher

My issue is, the case keeps getting closed and they say it's resolved.  It's only currently pending, because I asked the rep to reopen it - the problem still persists.  Of course, there is no way for me to be able to contact them directly, or is there?

My issue is, the case keeps getting closed and they say it's resolved.  It's only currently pending, because I asked the rep to reopen it - the problem still persists.  Of course, there is no way for me to be able to contact them directly, or is there?

426 of 499 (1,611 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 3:30:34 PM
(0)
Explorer
I'm still waiting for my call from the last PM on July 3rd. Who are you trying to kid???? You are just trying to throw a smoke screen at the people here. There used to be a count of the number of posts in the forum, but when it got over 300, suddenly the coint disappeared. At least that showed AT&T took a little notice. Even my formal comaint to the FCC only vot me a phone call full of lies and $100 for my HOURS on the phone with Moe, Larry, and Curly in tier one support. I wish I had the knowledge that M.A.S.E. has, (Who, by the way posted the only workaround that works. A customer, NOT AT&T) to root the phone and install an new OS. But hey, maybe you're new and naive, and truely hope to help. But remember we've been here, some for over a year, listening to quite a few people trying to help.
I'm still waiting for my call from the last PM on July 3rd. Who are you trying to kid???? You are just trying to throw a smoke screen at the people here. There used to be a count of the number of posts in the forum, but when it got over 300, suddenly the coint disappeared. At least that showed AT&T took a little notice. Even my formal comaint to the FCC only vot me a phone call full of lies and $100 for my HOURS on the phone with Moe, Larry, and Curly in tier one support. I wish I had the knowledge that M.A.S.E. has, (Who, by the way posted the only workaround that works. A customer, NOT AT&T) to root the phone and install an new OS. But hey, maybe you're new and naive, and truely hope to help. But remember we've been here, some for over a year, listening to quite a few people trying to help.

427 of 499 (1,598 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2013 11:41:44 AM
(0)
Mentor

Very simply.... They called on another phone/line, or, after I called them they'd mention that they'd called me, sending a screen shot of the call having been made. 

Very simply.... They called on another phone/line, or, after I called them they'd mention that they'd called me, sending a screen shot of the call having been made. 

428 of 499 (1,563 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2013 11:45:10 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by m.a.s.e on Aug 17, 2013 at 11:45:50 AM

The funny part is that ATT claim they call but geniuses !!!! we cant recieve incoming calls or texts so how are we suppose to answer !! LOL- FAIL

The funny part is that ATT claim they call but geniuses !!!! we cant recieve incoming calls or texts so how are we suppose to answer !! LOL- FAIL

[ Edited ]
429 of 499 (1,561 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2013 12:00:39 PM
(0)
Mentor

In some cases I'd get a notification of a voice mail (a few hours later) which contained the time and details of the missed call. 

In all cases I had at least 3 bars, so it wasn't a matter of not having service. 

In some cases I'd get a notification of a voice mail (a few hours later) which contained the time and details of the missed call. 

In all cases I had at least 3 bars, so it wasn't a matter of not having service. 

430 of 499 (1,559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2013 9:26:49 PM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by jt1019 on Aug 19, 2013 at 10:30:45 AM

[ Edited ]
431 of 499 (1,498 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 5:09:51 AM
(0)
Mentor

What a revelation! Did you read the thread before posting? That is what this whole thread has been about, the workaround you mention was brought to us from M.A.S.E as early as page three of this thread!

What a revelation! Did you read the thread before posting? That is what this whole thread has been about, the workaround you mention was brought to us from M.A.S.E as early as page three of this thread!

432 of 499 (1,466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 5:13:44 AM
(0)
Scholar
Funny how att dropped a few lines every week bumping this thread up and then disappear again for a month. Lol
Funny how att dropped a few lines every week bumping this thread up and then disappear again for a month. Lol

433 of 499 (1,461 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 5:31:44 AM
(0)
Mentor

But, jt1019, aren't you paying for reliable talk and text AND 4G/ LTE? 

Given that, AT&T are making out very well on you and everyone else using this workaround. 

We're all paying for all 3 services, yet AT&T can skate by charging full price and delivering only ⅔ of the services we're contractually bound to pay for, and they're contractually bound to deliver. 

Letting them conserve costly  bandwidth at our expense when they admit (to a few of us) that it's an issue on their end is about as close to fraud and misrepresentation as you can get. 

FCC and FTC have been informed of this situation by many of us. Suggest that everyone effected do the same, also calling and demanding appropriate reductions in billing until the situation is rectified, a new phone that wouldn't be effected, or release from the contract without penalty due to AT&T's apparent inability to fix the issue, or give a time frame other than 'by the end of the year'. 

Keep their feet to the fire on this: it'll only get resolved when it starts to impact the P&L or the stockholders' dividends. 

Given that, AT&T are making out very well on you and everyone else using this workaround. 

We're all paying for all 3 services, yet AT&T can skate by charging full price and delivering only ⅔ of the services we're contractually bound to pay for, and they're contractually bound to deliver. 

Letting them conserve costly  bandwidth at our expense when they admit (to a few of us) that it's an issue on their end is about as close to fraud and misrepresentation as you can get. 

FCC and FTC have been informed of this situation by many of us. Suggest that everyone effected do the same, also calling and demanding appropriate reductions in billing until the situation is rectified, a new phone that wouldn't be effected, or release from the contract without penalty due to AT&T's apparent inability to fix the issue, or give a time frame other than 'by the end of the year'. 

Keep their feet to the fire on this: it'll only get resolved when it starts to impact the P&L or the stockholders' dividends. 

434 of 499 (1,457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 7:26:00 AM
(0)
Mentor
Has anybody found a solution that disables LTE without forcing you to be on only GSM or WCDMA? I'm in an area that has lots of places with LTE but also lots of places with only GSM towers, yet the voice quality is pretty poor on that compared to WCDMA. Having an Automatic WCDMA or GSM choice would be a pretty useful option, regardless of this whole issue.
Has anybody found a solution that disables LTE without forcing you to be on only GSM or WCDMA? I'm in an area that has lots of places with LTE but also lots of places with only GSM towers, yet the voice quality is pretty poor on that compared to WCDMA. Having an Automatic WCDMA or GSM choice would be a pretty useful option, regardless of this whole issue.

435 of 499 (1,439 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 10:30:09 AM
(0)
Explorer

MN-Android wrote:

Sorry, I did not. I skimmed it to make sure my issue was the same as everyone else was having, but I didn't go through each and every page. No need to be rude about it.

MN-Android wrote:

Sorry, I did not. I skimmed it to make sure my issue was the same as everyone else was having, but I didn't go through each and every page. No need to be rude about it.

436 of 499 (1,423 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2013 7:12:53 AM
(0)
Mentor

No problem, jt1019, 

You didn't need to edit your post. 

We need these questions kept viewable, hopefully on each page, so people casually skimming through will see and realize what we're talking about. 

Can't repeat these issues enough. 

AT&T needs to realize that we're not going away until these problems are addressed and remedied. 

Meanwhile, they're banking our money on services that we can't utilize in accordance with our contracts, even though they're not able to fulfill their side of it. 

No problem, jt1019, 

You didn't need to edit your post. 

We need these questions kept viewable, hopefully on each page, so people casually skimming through will see and realize what we're talking about. 

Can't repeat these issues enough. 

AT&T needs to realize that we're not going away until these problems are addressed and remedied. 

Meanwhile, they're banking our money on services that we can't utilize in accordance with our contracts, even though they're not able to fulfill their side of it. 

437 of 499 (1,375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 2:42:07 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, everyone!

It seems some of you are still running into some problems with the update. Our team is working to get you answers. In the meantime, you can help by contacting ATTCustomerCare via PM by clicking here. They will need as many details as possible from each of you, including your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. They will likely also need your device IMEI, OS version, and a brief description of the specific issues you're having.

Thanks!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Hello, everyone!

It seems some of you are still running into some problems with the update. Our team is working to get you answers. In the meantime, you can help by contacting ATTCustomerCare via PM by clicking here. They will need as many details as possible from each of you, including your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. They will likely also need your device IMEI, OS version, and a brief description of the specific issues you're having.

Thanks!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

438 of 499 (1,267 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 4:13:44 PM
(0)
Scholar
Why won't u just read this thread??? Again with the"pm us". For what??? Update??? It's been out for almost a year. Another fail by att
Why won't u just read this thread??? Again with the"pm us". For what??? Update??? It's been out for almost a year. Another fail by att

439 of 499 (1,252 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 7:34:22 PM
(0)
Mentor

The problem existed before the update and didn't go away after the update. 

I guess that nobody but us victims are reading back through the thread, as there's no way that anyone who has read this thread in its entirety could possibly come up with such an asinine conclusion. 

We've PMd, we've called, we've complained, we've done everything short of climbing the towers and doing whatever infrastructure upgrades or repairs are necessary to fix this. 

What else can we do? 

AT&T is glad handing the issue, patting us on the heads in an effort to placate us, but doing not a blessed thing to actually ease the contractually bound suffering of its victims, I mean, customers. 

Stop the pain.

Fix the issue, or admit that it's beyond the abilities or financial feasibility to actually remedy this. 

The negative PR is staggering. The stockholders won't be happy, and we all know what that means.. 

The problem existed before the update and didn't go away after the update. 

I guess that nobody but us victims are reading back through the thread, as there's no way that anyone who has read this thread in its entirety could possibly come up with such an asinine conclusion. 

We've PMd, we've called, we've complained, we've done everything short of climbing the towers and doing whatever infrastructure upgrades or repairs are necessary to fix this. 

What else can we do? 

AT&T is glad handing the issue, patting us on the heads in an effort to placate us, but doing not a blessed thing to actually ease the contractually bound suffering of its victims, I mean, customers. 

Stop the pain.

Fix the issue, or admit that it's beyond the abilities or financial feasibility to actually remedy this. 

The negative PR is staggering. The stockholders won't be happy, and we all know what that means.. 

440 of 499 (1,237 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 10:29:55 PM
(0)
Explorer

Danvee wrote:

Yes, but the 4G is still perfectly reliable. And LTE is reliable when I have it active, it just causes issues with the rest of the phone. I agree, it's ridiculous that I have to disable the LTE on a flagship phone, but I'm not paying anything extra for a service I'm not using.

Danvee wrote:

Yes, but the 4G is still perfectly reliable. And LTE is reliable when I have it active, it just causes issues with the rest of the phone. I agree, it's ridiculous that I have to disable the LTE on a flagship phone, but I'm not paying anything extra for a service I'm not using.

441 of 499 (1,227 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 5:36:53 AM
(0)
Mentor

Then you are one of the lucky ones. Be very happy - the rest of us aren't. 

If you're getting 100% of the services for which you're paying, you are in the majority. 

Sad part is that the small number of us victimized are fobbed off, hoping that we'd just quietly accept our fate until the contract is up and we can seek better service. 

Not happening. Not accepting flawed, incomplete service for a premium price. 

I hope that you continue to get what you're paying for, and that someday we'll all be so fortunate. 

Then you are one of the lucky ones. Be very happy - the rest of us aren't. 

If you're getting 100% of the services for which you're paying, you are in the majority. 

Sad part is that the small number of us victimized are fobbed off, hoping that we'd just quietly accept our fate until the contract is up and we can seek better service. 

Not happening. Not accepting flawed, incomplete service for a premium price. 

I hope that you continue to get what you're paying for, and that someday we'll all be so fortunate. 

442 of 499 (1,201 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 5:38:07 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have read this threat several times and finally decided to post.  M.a.s.e., thanks for the workaround, great great job on that.  We are all indebted.

Thanks everyone for the information you posted.  After reading about all of your sufferings, I cannot bring myself to be insulted by a Tier 1 Rep.....just can't.  I plan to buy myself out of this problem and move on (as much as I hate giving ATT one more red cent).

ATT support is very much like wilderbeasts jumping into a river of alligators after watching the first to get eaten, they just cannot learn.  It is not nature's intention.

Mase, I think you sum it up in a nutshell when you say that AT&T will NEVER resolve this problem.  Especially that the S3 can be gotten for 50 bucks now with a contract, we are beyond hope on the issue.

That being said, does anyone have a proven suggestion on a new phone/provider that would be a worth investing?

Thanks!!!!

I have read this threat several times and finally decided to post.  M.a.s.e., thanks for the workaround, great great job on that.  We are all indebted.

Thanks everyone for the information you posted.  After reading about all of your sufferings, I cannot bring myself to be insulted by a Tier 1 Rep.....just can't.  I plan to buy myself out of this problem and move on (as much as I hate giving ATT one more red cent).

ATT support is very much like wilderbeasts jumping into a river of alligators after watching the first to get eaten, they just cannot learn.  It is not nature's intention.

Mase, I think you sum it up in a nutshell when you say that AT&T will NEVER resolve this problem.  Especially that the S3 can be gotten for 50 bucks now with a contract, we are beyond hope on the issue.

That being said, does anyone have a proven suggestion on a new phone/provider that would be a worth investing?

Thanks!!!!

443 of 499 (1,200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 6:32:34 AM
(0)
Scholar

Hi, thank you for the kind words Smiley Happy 

i agree with all you have said, i believe the best course of action here is to take measures into our own hands. 

by that i mean, realize we will get no resolution and move on to choose what is best for us. 

Here is my 0.02$.... keep in mind that is only my personal opinion, i do realize not all can do what i suggest. 

by now we all know and 110% agree this issue is due to ATT modified version of OS on the device mixed with poop LTE support on towers . (mostly OS).

other than disabling LTE on your phone getting a resolution from ATT is none existing. 

I wish i could actually show all the victims in this thread how easy it is to actually root your phone.

i do understand this is not an option for many and i really hope my post will not get "modified" as i am truly trying to help here (more than ATT does). 

Rooting is SO easy these days, its nothing more then double clicking on a file on your computer and wait 30 seconds.

Thankfully Google is NOT like Apple, there is no cat and mouse game where people root their phone and Google rush to push yet another update that all it does is remove the root (jailbreak). 

ATT is one of 2 carriers that block the boot loader (att and vzw), their reasoning (which is logical to some point) is "just make sure you dont "brick" your phone if you dont know what you are doing" BUT the bigger issue here that ATT doesn’t know what they are doing, obviously your version of the OS doesn’t work.... 

gladly there are very smart people out there (XDA) that know how to bypass these things, and rooting the phone never been easier...

Now, if you root you basically gain administrator access to the root directory.... for those who don’t understand what i am talking about think about it like windows computer.... when you install windows the installation process ask you to create a user and it tells you that the first user will be an administrator, why? because an administrator have access to all files and folders, sure Microsoft hide protected files etc (like in a new phone, you don’t have access to them) but if you know what you are doing on a computer you can easily go and change that value to show hidden files and folders. Microsoft mentality is that if you know how to change that value most likely you know what you are doing and this is YOUR MACHINE, if you mess it up its your problem....

so, i can go on and on and on....

but i will focus on what you guys want to hear: "But what about warranty"...

true, you will instantly lose warranty on your phone.

BUT here is my recommendation.... go buy the phone from best buy !!! why? 

best buy will offer you a "black tie" protection - take it....

they charge 180$ for the term of your contract (2 years) and they know this is 2013 and the device is YOURS !! therefore, if whatever happen to the phone (broken screen as well) they will replace it no questions asked and give you a refurb with ZERO out of pocket. 

ATT warranty will tell you 200$ per fix out of pocket and will give you a looooong list of things that are not supported under your warranty, so 200$ per fix plus the 16$ you will pay monthly.... best buy 180$ up front for 2 years with 0 per fix request. both will give you a refurb... only ATT will give you a loaner for 3 weeks while they will be cheap and send your device to Samsung so they can fix it under manufacture warranty so att will not have to spend money....

the XDA community is gigantic... there are countless of ROMS out there. all you need to do is READ. see other people reviews and experiences. it will take the normal person 30 minutes to understand the basics and your good. 

why these issues NEVER occur on a Google device (aka nexus, Google edition etc)? because Google know how to build the OS, whenever a carrier take that phone on the spot they develop their own version of the OS using Google binaries and SDK, that’s where the problem lies.... ATT dev team did something wrong.... to fix it will take a lot of time effort and money...

the easy route is to just wait for Google to release a new OS and then redo their version hoping to not have that bug again...

that is why ATT is always 2 versions behind...

att still on 4.1.1 while Google already on 4.3.

hope this post help some people.

i am truly trying to help those who don’t have the knowledge to understand what is really going on. 

thank you. 

Hi, thank you for the kind words Smiley Happy 

i agree with all you have said, i believe the best course of action here is to take measures into our own hands. 

by that i mean, realize we will get no resolution and move on to choose what is best for us. 

Here is my 0.02$.... keep in mind that is only my personal opinion, i do realize not all can do what i suggest. 

by now we all know and 110% agree this issue is due to ATT modified version of OS on the device mixed with poop LTE support on towers . (mostly OS).

other than disabling LTE on your phone getting a resolution from ATT is none existing. 

I wish i could actually show all the victims in this thread how easy it is to actually root your phone.

i do understand this is not an option for many and i really hope my post will not get "modified" as i am truly trying to help here (more than ATT does). 

Rooting is SO easy these days, its nothing more then double clicking on a file on your computer and wait 30 seconds.

Thankfully Google is NOT like Apple, there is no cat and mouse game where people root their phone and Google rush to push yet another update that all it does is remove the root (jailbreak). 

ATT is one of 2 carriers that block the boot loader (att and vzw), their reasoning (which is logical to some point) is "just make sure you dont "brick" your phone if you dont know what you are doing" BUT the bigger issue here that ATT doesn’t know what they are doing, obviously your version of the OS doesn’t work.... 

gladly there are very smart people out there (XDA) that know how to bypass these things, and rooting the phone never been easier...

Now, if you root you basically gain administrator access to the root directory.... for those who don’t understand what i am talking about think about it like windows computer.... when you install windows the installation process ask you to create a user and it tells you that the first user will be an administrator, why? because an administrator have access to all files and folders, sure Microsoft hide protected files etc (like in a new phone, you don’t have access to them) but if you know what you are doing on a computer you can easily go and change that value to show hidden files and folders. Microsoft mentality is that if you know how to change that value most likely you know what you are doing and this is YOUR MACHINE, if you mess it up its your problem....

so, i can go on and on and on....

but i will focus on what you guys want to hear: "But what about warranty"...

true, you will instantly lose warranty on your phone.

BUT here is my recommendation.... go buy the phone from best buy !!! why? 

best buy will offer you a "black tie" protection - take it....

they charge 180$ for the term of your contract (2 years) and they know this is 2013 and the device is YOURS !! therefore, if whatever happen to the phone (broken screen as well) they will replace it no questions asked and give you a refurb with ZERO out of pocket. 

ATT warranty will tell you 200$ per fix out of pocket and will give you a looooong list of things that are not supported under your warranty, so 200$ per fix plus the 16$ you will pay monthly.... best buy 180$ up front for 2 years with 0 per fix request. both will give you a refurb... only ATT will give you a loaner for 3 weeks while they will be cheap and send your device to Samsung so they can fix it under manufacture warranty so att will not have to spend money....

the XDA community is gigantic... there are countless of ROMS out there. all you need to do is READ. see other people reviews and experiences. it will take the normal person 30 minutes to understand the basics and your good. 

why these issues NEVER occur on a Google device (aka nexus, Google edition etc)? because Google know how to build the OS, whenever a carrier take that phone on the spot they develop their own version of the OS using Google binaries and SDK, that’s where the problem lies.... ATT dev team did something wrong.... to fix it will take a lot of time effort and money...

the easy route is to just wait for Google to release a new OS and then redo their version hoping to not have that bug again...

that is why ATT is always 2 versions behind...

att still on 4.1.1 while Google already on 4.3.

hope this post help some people.

i am truly trying to help those who don’t have the knowledge to understand what is really going on. 

thank you. 

444 of 499 (1,182 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 6:46:47 AM
(0)
Teacher

Great advice Mace, thank you.  Since I am prepared to "move on" I am feeling adventurous and I am going to visit XDA and do a Frankenphone to my Galaxy and post my experience here.

Great advice Mace, thank you.  Since I am prepared to "move on" I am feeling adventurous and I am going to visit XDA and do a Frankenphone to my Galaxy and post my experience here.

445 of 499 (1,175 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 6:58:35 AM
(0)
Teacher

After reading a second time, what a write up Mace.  Very valuable information, much of it I was unaware of.  Cant wait to root the phone.  It will take me back to my days of overclocking my 100mhz Pentium and frying my AMD K7 Athlon!

After reading a second time, what a write up Mace.  Very valuable information, much of it I was unaware of.  Cant wait to root the phone.  It will take me back to my days of overclocking my 100mhz Pentium and frying my AMD K7 Athlon!

446 of 499 (1,173 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 7:00:14 AM
(0)
Scholar
LOL Samsunk-Failaxy u cracked me up Smiley Happy
LOL Samsunk-Failaxy u cracked me up Smiley Happy

447 of 499 (1,170 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 8:06:30 AM
(0)
Mentor

Good advice, m.a.s.e, and advice that I've been giving to any and everyone who's considering becoming indentured to AT&T. 

However, we're 4 months into a 2 year contract, so the loss of warranty is a major consideration. 

I've also got a few acquaintances who did in fact root and are on 4.1.2 and experience the same issues. 

We poor suckered who are locked in for 2 years have little choice: we can buy out our contract to escape the poor service or risk our warranty in order to get the phone to do what it's supposed to. 

A true no-win situation. 

Their slogan should be;"AT&T - imagine the possibility of getting the service that you pay for.. "

That's about all some of us can do......... 

Good advice, m.a.s.e, and advice that I've been giving to any and everyone who's considering becoming indentured to AT&T. 

However, we're 4 months into a 2 year contract, so the loss of warranty is a major consideration. 

I've also got a few acquaintances who did in fact root and are on 4.1.2 and experience the same issues. 

We poor suckered who are locked in for 2 years have little choice: we can buy out our contract to escape the poor service or risk our warranty in order to get the phone to do what it's supposed to. 

A true no-win situation. 

Their slogan should be;"AT&T - imagine the possibility of getting the service that you pay for.. "

That's about all some of us can do......... 

448 of 499 (1,136 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 8:54:29 AM
(0)
Scholar

Danvee

Your friends still have the issue cause rooting is not enough. 

as mentioned rooting just give you administrative access to the core files, but does not change anything. therefore the OS is still ATT version if the OS. to resolve a root and a replacement of the ROM need to be performed. the S3 already got google edition 4.3 customer rom... XDA is the source location for info. 

Danvee

Your friends still have the issue cause rooting is not enough. 

as mentioned rooting just give you administrative access to the core files, but does not change anything. therefore the OS is still ATT version if the OS. to resolve a root and a replacement of the ROM need to be performed. the S3 already got google edition 4.3 customer rom... XDA is the source location for info. 

449 of 499 (1,103 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 8:58:40 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Phil-101 on Aug 22, 2013 at 9:07:34 AM

You guys (AT&T reps) realize that we own our phones, and are free to do whatever we want to them with regard to modifying the software or hardware (within FCC limits I suppose). If you wish it to be otherwise, AT&T should rent the phones to everybody, and take them back when you stop your service, just like my cable modem and Dish receiver.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

You guys (AT&T reps) realize that we own our phones, and are free to do whatever we want to them with regard to modifying the software or hardware (within FCC limits I suppose). If you wish it to be otherwise, AT&T should rent the phones to everybody, and take them back when you stop your service, just like my cable modem and Dish receiver.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
450 of 499 (1,095 Views)