Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 9, 2012
5:15:14 PM
View profile
Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 17, 2013 5:51:42 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by jamileh on Feb 5, 2013 at 9:33:18 AM

Guys,

I got this issue fixed. You dont have to remove the battery or even restart your phone for that matter. This problem occurs mainly because of 4G LTE. I dont know if its the phone or the service. So, I have found an alternative.

What you need to do is add a new APN and run your device on 3G so that you can still get calls and browse until att or samsung fixes this issue. You can either use 4G toggle which you can download from google play to toggle between 3g and 4g. Or you can add as I have said above the new APN. Please go to Settings -> More settings -> Mobile Networks ->Access point names-> (+ new APN) . Give the Name of your choice but the APN should be defined as wap.cingular and finally save it. Change the existing apn to your newly created apn. Go to you home menu and you will see the 4G is used insted 4G LTE. You can even check your speed by using speed test.

Actually now I even have fewer dropped calls and I get the calls as soon as they call it. 

Please watch the below url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TqXFd5aJcuY or read this link : http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-iii/243505-jelly-bean-4-1-1-phone-calls-bug.html

<CM EDIT:

We are researching this but I have marked jan_raghavan's suggestion as an Accepted Solution for the time being because it's worked for a couple people. 

I have to note that this is NOT an AT&T solution and it will limit your capabilities on the device because you won't be on 4G but since it's helped a few of you, I want to make sure it's visible.>

Accepted Solution

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

498 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
View all replies
(498)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2013 5:34:06 AM
(0)
Mentor

I'm guessing that anyone with an IQ above room temperature knows what got removed.... Smiley Wink 

I'm guessing that anyone with an IQ above room temperature knows what got removed.... Smiley Wink 

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

481 of 499 (3,564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2013 6:42:24 AM
(0)
Teacher

Speak no evil and pay your bill.  Thank you from AT&T.

Speak no evil and pay your bill.  Thank you from AT&T.

482 of 499 (3,554 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 11:32:01 PM
(0)
Teacher

Wow! I cant believe that "speak no evil and pay your bill" has been the last comment on this thread for a month now.  Im starting to wonder if it was actually posted by at&t directly because that's the vibe I've got (and we've all got) everytime I've tried to bring up my "case" lately.

Does anyone have any experience with the issue being solved by 4.3 os? Im debating on the note 3 and would buy it tomorrow if I knew it wouldn't have the same issue of missed calls and texts.  Thanks for all of your posts!!! They help more than you probably realize!!!

Wow! I cant believe that "speak no evil and pay your bill" has been the last comment on this thread for a month now.  Im starting to wonder if it was actually posted by at&t directly because that's the vibe I've got (and we've all got) everytime I've tried to bring up my "case" lately.

Does anyone have any experience with the issue being solved by 4.3 os? Im debating on the note 3 and would buy it tomorrow if I knew it wouldn't have the same issue of missed calls and texts.  Thanks for all of your posts!!! They help more than you probably realize!!!

483 of 499 (2,898 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 2:28:12 AM
(0)
Contributor

I recently purchased the Galaxy Express GoPhone, without data.  Between Salem and Portland it's pretty difficult to find dead zones, so I was surprised to find I had missed a call on the drive home.  No missed call notifications.  So we called the phone from a Sprint phone in the same room.  Nothing.  Called again.  Nothing.  Called a third time, and it finally started ringing.

I originally left a 4G LTE zone on the way home (which I enabled for MMS only), but this problem persisted at home in 3G with Wifi connected.  Needless to say, I'm returning this tomorrow.  It's surprising to see such poor results on the nation's second largest carrier.

I recently purchased the Galaxy Express GoPhone, without data.  Between Salem and Portland it's pretty difficult to find dead zones, so I was surprised to find I had missed a call on the drive home.  No missed call notifications.  So we called the phone from a Sprint phone in the same room.  Nothing.  Called again.  Nothing.  Called a third time, and it finally started ringing.

I originally left a 4G LTE zone on the way home (which I enabled for MMS only), but this problem persisted at home in 3G with Wifi connected.  Needless to say, I'm returning this tomorrow.  It's surprising to see such poor results on the nation's second largest carrier.

484 of 499 (2,813 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2013 4:56:40 PM
(0)
Teacher
Bad news friends. I just purchased the galaxy note 3 w/ at&t running 2.3 and guess what!? This issue isn't going away!
Bad news friends. I just purchased the galaxy note 3 w/ at&t running 2.3 and guess what!? This issue isn't going away!

485 of 499 (2,624 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2013 6:01:32 PM
(0)
Mentor

I assume you mean Android 4.3, not 2.3. No, the problem will not go away until AT&T admits the problem is not in the phones but rather in the 4G LTE tower software.

I assume you mean Android 4.3, not 2.3. No, the problem will not go away until AT&T admits the problem is not in the phones but rather in the 4G LTE tower software.

486 of 499 (2,618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 10:12:01 PM
(0)
Teacher
Yes that is correct. 4.3. It is missing as many calls as my note 2 or s3 were running 4.2 we hoped in vain that a solution was coming in the 4.3 update.
Yes that is correct. 4.3. It is missing as many calls as my note 2 or s3 were running 4.2 we hoped in vain that a solution was coming in the 4.3 update.

487 of 499 (2,511 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2013 1:47:46 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm also having this issue and have since I purchased my phone almost a year ago. I don't understand how this thread can go on for so long without the problem being resolved. It happens sporadically but when it does it is really inconvenient. Does AT&T respond to these forum posts?

I'm also having this issue and have since I purchased my phone almost a year ago. I don't understand how this thread can go on for so long without the problem being resolved. It happens sporadically but when it does it is really inconvenient. Does AT&T respond to these forum posts?

488 of 499 (2,487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2013 1:57:12 PM
(0)
Scholar
They truly do not care... i gave up a long long time ago.
They truly do not care... i gave up a long long time ago.

489 of 499 (2,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2013 2:10:08 PM
(0)
Scholar
It is the handoff between the LTE and GSM radios, it is not specific to Samsung, Android, or even phones. It will be an update to the modem software that changes how the device balances prioritizing which radio to use (or both) and battery life. Listening with both radios would fix the issue but you would have nearly No battery life.

The only real fix will be VoLTE, let's hope that AT&T doesn't get the bright idea to spread the VoLTE signal over multiple spectrums, and require another radio for the VoIP aspect of the VoLTE signal...
It is the handoff between the LTE and GSM radios, it is not specific to Samsung, Android, or even phones. It will be an update to the modem software that changes how the device balances prioritizing which radio to use (or both) and battery life. Listening with both radios would fix the issue but you would have nearly No battery life.

The only real fix will be VoLTE, let's hope that AT&T doesn't get the bright idea to spread the VoLTE signal over multiple spectrums, and require another radio for the VoIP aspect of the VoLTE signal...
Sent from my Galaxy S 3 (i747)

490 of 499 (2,480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2013 2:11:01 PM
(0)
Mentor

Every once in a while an AT&T rep comes through, private messages some people trying to collect info, or says they're opening a case, and then half of the posts here get deleted and we get moderater warnings for trying to help people with the best work-arounds there are. I'm still more or less going with the plan revolving around: LTE is worthless anyway, the data caps you can pick from are "super low" "really low" and "pretty low" so you might as well stick with "4G" HSPA+ and wifi. Reaching your data cap faster isn't really of much benefit to me, and if voice/text works better, I don't really care. I guess it's false advertising on AT&T's part to claim you can use LTE data and still make voice calls, but whatever.

I'm more upset now that I have to lock my phone to 3G/4G frequencies, because there is no option to disable LTE while still allowing 2G fallback for service areas where that may happen, but I'm not sure I've actually found such a place in my particular travels anyway.

Every once in a while an AT&T rep comes through, private messages some people trying to collect info, or says they're opening a case, and then half of the posts here get deleted and we get moderater warnings for trying to help people with the best work-arounds there are. I'm still more or less going with the plan revolving around: LTE is worthless anyway, the data caps you can pick from are "super low" "really low" and "pretty low" so you might as well stick with "4G" HSPA+ and wifi. Reaching your data cap faster isn't really of much benefit to me, and if voice/text works better, I don't really care. I guess it's false advertising on AT&T's part to claim you can use LTE data and still make voice calls, but whatever.

I'm more upset now that I have to lock my phone to 3G/4G frequencies, because there is no option to disable LTE while still allowing 2G fallback for service areas where that may happen, but I'm not sure I've actually found such a place in my particular travels anyway.

491 of 499 (2,479 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2014 5:45:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

Ark42 wrote:

I was running fine with my phone locked in 3G mode until I was in the Czech Republic in last summer and had to switch to 2G.  I’ve left it in 2G mode because my blood pressure goes up every time I have to monkey with it and get reminded how poorly at&t has handled this problem.  at&t has reduced me to being thankful just to have my phone ring when someone calls me.  It also hurts when I pay my monthly bill since I’ve not turned my data on in 8 months and I am using my phone as a basic phone only.  The only thing that softened the blow was at&t credited me a little over $900 for the trouble after spending hours and hours on the phone with them.

Ark42 wrote:

I was running fine with my phone locked in 3G mode until I was in the Czech Republic in last summer and had to switch to 2G.  I’ve left it in 2G mode because my blood pressure goes up every time I have to monkey with it and get reminded how poorly at&t has handled this problem.  at&t has reduced me to being thankful just to have my phone ring when someone calls me.  It also hurts when I pay my monthly bill since I’ve not turned my data on in 8 months and I am using my phone as a basic phone only.  The only thing that softened the blow was at&t credited me a little over $900 for the trouble after spending hours and hours on the phone with them.

492 of 499 (1,485 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2014 4:02:33 PM
(0)
Contributor
My galaxy s4 worked flawlessly. . The fact it doesn't work need to be fixed immediately. I use a gps tracker for my dirt bike rides loved it on s4.. Note 3 it sucks.. Please fix
My galaxy s4 worked flawlessly. . The fact it doesn't work need to be fixed immediately. I use a gps tracker for my dirt bike rides loved it on s4.. Note 3 it sucks.. Please fix

493 of 499 (1,342 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2014 8:56:16 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hello guys,

i have read all post here, not sure whether its AT&T network issue but, here in another country in europe (czech republic) i have exactly same problem.

I think its something bad inside phone hw, my gf have S4 mini and without any issues!! on the same network (and same provider - t-mobile).

Problems appears always when the cell phone is iddle for more than 15 minutes, cannot call from phone even send sms and the same  if someone is trying to call to this phone..its really anoying.

Hello guys,

i have read all post here, not sure whether its AT&T network issue but, here in another country in europe (czech republic) i have exactly same problem.

I think its something bad inside phone hw, my gf have S4 mini and without any issues!! on the same network (and same provider - t-mobile).

Problems appears always when the cell phone is iddle for more than 15 minutes, cannot call from phone even send sms and the same  if someone is trying to call to this phone..its really anoying.

494 of 499 (997 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2014 9:14:58 AM
(0)
Tutor
I have bumped network from G3 to G2 ..no change..still same issues
I have bumped network from G3 to G2 ..no change..still same issues

495 of 499 (994 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2014 9:17:32 AM
(0)
Tutor
ok, but what to do if iam not u.s. citizen?? we have the same issues here in europa Smiley Sad
ok, but what to do if iam not u.s. citizen?? we have the same issues here in europa Smiley Sad

496 of 499 (994 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2014 10:33:03 AM
(0)
Tutor

nope..iam on 3G (4G for U.S.) so non LTE..its completely random, 15 time per day i have receiving sms messages about missed calls..the same with WIFI to OFF..not solved yet

nope..iam on 3G (4G for U.S.) so non LTE..its completely random, 15 time per day i have receiving sms messages about missed calls..the same with WIFI to OFF..not solved yet

497 of 499 (993 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 8:55:02 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello milanvalda,

You will need to contact your carrier for assistance with network issues, if your phone was not designed for your carrier, that might be causing issues, and that is not something you can "fix", it would be a hardware limitation.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello milanvalda,

You will need to contact your carrier for assistance with network issues, if your phone was not designed for your carrier, that might be causing issues, and that is not something you can "fix", it would be a hardware limitation.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

498 of 499 (963 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 8:55:52 AM
(0)
Community Manager

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Rethink Possible

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Rethink Possible

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

499 of 499 (962 Views)