Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

Mentor

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I'm guessing that anyone with an IQ above room temperature knows what got removed.... Smiley Wink 

Message 481 of 499 (3,677 Views)
Highlighted

Speak no evil and pay your bill.  Thank you from AT&T.

Message 482 of 499 (3,667 Views)
Teacher

Wow! I cant believe that "speak no evil and pay your bill" has been the last comment on this thread for a month now.  Im starting to wonder if it was actually posted by at&t directly because that's the vibe I've got (and we've all got) everytime I've tried to bring up my "case" lately.

Does anyone have any experience with the issue being solved by 4.3 os? Im debating on the note 3 and would buy it tomorrow if I knew it wouldn't have the same issue of missed calls and texts.  Thanks for all of your posts!!! They help more than you probably realize!!!

Message 483 of 499 (3,011 Views)
Contributor

I recently purchased the Galaxy Express GoPhone, without data.  Between Salem and Portland it's pretty difficult to find dead zones, so I was surprised to find I had missed a call on the drive home.  No missed call notifications.  So we called the phone from a Sprint phone in the same room.  Nothing.  Called again.  Nothing.  Called a third time, and it finally started ringing.

I originally left a 4G LTE zone on the way home (which I enabled for MMS only), but this problem persisted at home in 3G with Wifi connected.  Needless to say, I'm returning this tomorrow.  It's surprising to see such poor results on the nation's second largest carrier.

Message 484 of 499 (2,926 Views)
Teacher

Bad news friends. I just purchased the galaxy note 3 w/ at&t running 2.3 and guess what!? This issue isn't going away!
Message 485 of 499 (2,737 Views)
Mentor

I assume you mean Android 4.3, not 2.3. No, the problem will not go away until AT&T admits the problem is not in the phones but rather in the 4G LTE tower software.

Message 486 of 499 (2,731 Views)
Teacher

Yes that is correct. 4.3. It is missing as many calls as my note 2 or s3 were running 4.2 we hoped in vain that a solution was coming in the 4.3 update.
Message 487 of 499 (2,624 Views)
Contributor

I'm also having this issue and have since I purchased my phone almost a year ago. I don't understand how this thread can go on for so long without the problem being resolved. It happens sporadically but when it does it is really inconvenient. Does AT&T respond to these forum posts?

Message 488 of 499 (2,600 Views)
Scholar

They truly do not care... i gave up a long long time ago.
Message 489 of 499 (2,599 Views)
Scholar

It is the handoff between the LTE and GSM radios, it is not specific to Samsung, Android, or even phones. It will be an update to the modem software that changes how the device balances prioritizing which radio to use (or both) and battery life. Listening with both radios would fix the issue but you would have nearly No battery life.

The only real fix will be VoLTE, let's hope that AT&T doesn't get the bright idea to spread the VoLTE signal over multiple spectrums, and require another radio for the VoIP aspect of the VoLTE signal...
Message 490 of 499 (2,593 Views)
Mentor

Every once in a while an AT&T rep comes through, private messages some people trying to collect info, or says they're opening a case, and then half of the posts here get deleted and we get moderater warnings for trying to help people with the best work-arounds there are. I'm still more or less going with the plan revolving around: LTE is worthless anyway, the data caps you can pick from are "super low" "really low" and "pretty low" so you might as well stick with "4G" HSPA+ and wifi. Reaching your data cap faster isn't really of much benefit to me, and if voice/text works better, I don't really care. I guess it's false advertising on AT&T's part to claim you can use LTE data and still make voice calls, but whatever.

I'm more upset now that I have to lock my phone to 3G/4G frequencies, because there is no option to disable LTE while still allowing 2G fallback for service areas where that may happen, but I'm not sure I've actually found such a place in my particular travels anyway.

Message 491 of 499 (2,592 Views)

Ark42 wrote:

Every once in a while an AT&T rep comes through, private messages some people trying to collect info, or says they're opening a case, and then half of the posts here get deleted and we get moderater warnings for trying to help people with the best work-arounds there are. I'm still more or less going with the plan revolving around: LTE is worthless anyway, the data caps you can pick from are "super low" "really low" and "pretty low" so you might as well stick with "4G" HSPA+ and wifi. Reaching your data cap faster isn't really of much benefit to me, and if voice/text works better, I don't really care. I guess it's false advertising on AT&T's part to claim you can use LTE data and still make voice calls, but whatever.

I'm more upset now that I have to lock my phone to 3G/4G frequencies, because there is no option to disable LTE while still allowing 2G fallback for service areas where that may happen, but I'm not sure I've actually found such a place in my particular travels anyway.

I was running fine with my phone locked in 3G mode until I was in the Czech Republic in last summer and had to switch to 2G.  I’ve left it in 2G mode because my blood pressure goes up every time I have to monkey with it and get reminded how poorly at&t has handled this problem.  at&t has reduced me to being thankful just to have my phone ring when someone calls me.  It also hurts when I pay my monthly bill since I’ve not turned my data on in 8 months and I am using my phone as a basic phone only.  The only thing that softened the blow was at&t credited me a little over $900 for the trouble after spending hours and hours on the phone with them.

Message 492 of 499 (1,598 Views)
Contributor

My galaxy s4 worked flawlessly. . The fact it doesn't work need to be fixed immediately. I use a gps tracker for my dirt bike rides loved it on s4.. Note 3 it sucks.. Please fix
Message 493 of 499 (1,455 Views)

Hello guys,

i have read all post here, not sure whether its AT&T network issue but, here in another country in europe (czech republic) i have exactly same problem.

I think its something bad inside phone hw, my gf have S4 mini and without any issues!! on the same network (and same provider - t-mobile).

Problems appears always when the cell phone is iddle for more than 15 minutes, cannot call from phone even send sms and the same  if someone is trying to call to this phone..its really anoying.

Message 494 of 499 (1,110 Views)

I have bumped network from G3 to G2 ..no change..still same issues
Message 495 of 499 (1,107 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.