The Samsung Galaxy S24
j5k's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, August 10th, 2012 12:15 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

Solution might be to disable LTE. Following steps are for S3 - not sure about other phones.

Found from one thread which was talking about saving battery.

1) While the phone turned is On - Remove back cover and press SIM card to move it out of slot (but not completely) - Don't remove battery
2) Phone will recognize there's no SIM & it will prompt for restart
3) Restart phone
4) After phone is turned on - Dial *#2263#  &  Wait for next options to appear
5) Select WCDMA & under that WCDMA All (I think it's for HSPA+/3G)
6) Press SIM card back
7) Restart phone

DID THIS PERMANENTLY WORK FOR ANYONE??? Please share your experiences, we have to solve this because AT&T obviously doesn't care. Thanks!!!

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

11 years ago

I don't know if this is being fixed by market area or what is going on. My GS3 had it bad, missed calls and sms daily. The workaround using the dialer cured umm allowed you to receive calls and texts but of course you lost the LTE. After many conversations with AT&T, I ended up in retention and an over two hour call. The end result was a new GS4. I have had this new phone for months and also my wife upgraded her business phone to a Galaxy Note II and her personal phone to the GS4 also. None of these phones have had the issue to date. Not once. Not sure why it is fixed on our phones but some GS4 users are still experiencing the issue?  I am in the Twin Cities, MN area BTW. 

Scholar

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

you guys are completely waisting your time. 

you should’ve understand by now that ATT will never ever fix this. 

4.3 is out, ATT will NEVER EVER put ANY type of effort or time trying to resolve an issue with 4.2.2 they broke with their bloatware in the OS.

do yourself a favor just do one of the following:

1. Disable LTE completely and stay on 4G until 4.3 roll out. 

2. Fight ATT to give u a the SG4. 

3. Root the phone and put a custom rom on it. 

i did that on my SG3, put CM 10.1 AOKP on it. NEVER had that issue again. 

now im on SG4 and guess what, 3 minutes after turning on the phone for the first time i rooted it and put CM10.1 on it. ZERO issues since. 

ATT developers doing their QA using crayons.... dont expect much from a company that refuse to release the bootloader and have zero knowledge on how to actually fix an OS. 

waste of time, effort and internet bandwidth for u guys...

just root the phone, put a different ROM and debloat ANYTHING att put on ur phone. 

Explorer

• 

17 Messages

11 years ago

Yes, the *#2263# will work perfectly, just no LTE sevice. Just went back on it after the update didn't fix our issue. Never missed a call or text using this workaround.

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

11 years ago

I did something like this on my S3, but it dropped me to where my data speed was like dialup, and would disconnect me from the tower randomly. Not this method, but something with a new AGP. Does this method work better? Is it reversable? Does it persist through a reboot?

Scholar

• 

129 Messages

11 years ago

This evening my sister said she hasn't noticed it since early spring... Maybe updating/optimizing the baseband/modem low-level software can help...

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

1. I did the *#2263# workaround on my note II running 4.1.2, LTE has dissapeared from the top but today I missed a call again and received the phantom voicemail with 3 bars... Frustrating...  I'm looking in to rooting the phone to solve this, will that definitely work?  Anyone have experiences with that?  Thanks in Advance for your help and time!

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

11 years ago

Hey, coxkun3! Sorry you seem to be having difficulties. I just wanted to let you know that I've sent you a PM. You should be able to click on the blue envelope in the top right corner of your screen to access them.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

11 years ago

Still having the same issues, even with the 4.1.2 update. 

2 missed calls that went straight to vm, yet the vm notifications took hours. 

This was from another phone on my account....... 

Tried all of the options listed, and the only working one was to dumb down the apn which gives me dialup data speed. All we get are promises of an eventual cure by the end of the year. 

Totally unacceptable as we've been battling this since May. 

AT&T just can't deliver on their part of our contract...... Not surprised but very disappointed. 

Never had these issues on Verizon, and I live the NYC metro area. 

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

11 years ago

Also, FWIW, we have 3 S3s on the account. IDK if we're willing to deal with this until the end of the year. 

To repeat : we've upheld our end of the contract by paying on time if not early. 

AT&T's not holding up their end. 

We can either have reliable calling and abysmal data speed (and leave WiFi off) or have the 3G/4G data speeds that we're paying for, but at the expense of missed calls (that go straight to vm) and missed vms. Can't seem under any circumstance to have the phone, the functionality and the service for which we signed a contract in all good faith with AT&T. 

ATP I'm warning everyone who will listen about these serious (and potentially contract nullifying)  breaches. Their first and second line CSRs are pleasant enough, but clueless. 

Have to reach engineering in order to get the 'real' story, and, suffice it to say, the 'real' story is none too encouraging. 

I'm waiting for a resolution, but not too hopeful..... 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.