Ask a question

Posted Aug 9, 2012
    5:15:14 PM
    View profile
    Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

(0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Solved
    Jan 17, 2013 5:51:42 PM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Edited by jamileh on Feb 5, 2013 at 9:33:18 AM

Guys,

I got this issue fixed. You dont have to remove the battery or even restart your phone for that matter. This problem occurs mainly because of 4G LTE. I dont know if its the phone or the service. So, I have found an alternative.

What you need to do is add a new APN and run your device on 3G so that you can still get calls and browse until att or samsung fixes this issue. You can either use 4G toggle which you can download from google play to toggle between 3g and 4g. Or you can add as I have said above the new APN. Please go to Settings -> More settings -> Mobile Networks ->Access point names-> (+ new APN) . Give the Name of your choice but the APN should be defined as wap.cingular and finally save it. Change the existing apn to your newly created apn. Go to you home menu and you will see the 4G is used insted 4G LTE. You can even check your speed by using speed test.

Actually now I even have fewer dropped calls and I get the calls as soon as they call it. 

Please watch the below url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TqXFd5aJcuY or read this link : http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-iii/243505-jelly-bean-4-1-1-phone-calls-bug.html

<CM EDIT:

We are researching this but I have marked jan_raghavan's suggestion as an Accepted Solution for the time being because it's worked for a couple people. 

I have to note that this is NOT an AT&T solution and it will limit your capabilities on the device because you won't be on 4G but since it's helped a few of you, I want to make sure it's visible.>

498 replies
    (2) Me too
    (2) Me too
    View all replies
    (498)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 19, 2013 9:38:34 PM
    (0)
    Explorer
    It's an AT&T issue. I have the HTC one x and have had the same issues for months now. They disabled my LTE and no issues. I however am not happy with the "resolution", but, rather than miss calls, I'll have to deal with it until they figure out how to "fix" it. Hope that helps. I've dealt with engineers, have an open case, have asked about updates and so far, nothing yet, but we are working on it they say.

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

331 of 499 (4,266 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 20, 2013 5:30:18 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

There are remedies listed earlier on in the thread. Another simple option is to turn off WiFi. 

All of these are workarounds, and in no way relieves AT&T of their responsibility to fix the issue. 

332 of 499 (4,250 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 20, 2013 9:35:03 AM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Quick question Jan,

How do you then explain that this issue happens to those of use who don't have LTE coverage then? We only have 4G and still have this problem. Unless I am just not understanding your post of course.

333 of 499 (4,232 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 20, 2013 9:37:21 AM
    (0)
    Teacher
    That reply was for a post back on 17 Jan;

"Guys,

I got this issue fixed. You dont have to remove the battery or even restart your phone for that matter. This problem occurs mainly because of 4G LTE. I dont know if its the phone or the service. So, I have found an alternative."

334 of 499 (4,232 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 21, 2013 6:05:43 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

What 'alternative' did you go with? 

335 of 499 (4,166 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 24, 2013 6:58:09 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

Hi,

I dont have any issue currently. Atleast, from last month. What I did was, I used to disable my mobile data when connected to wifi. When I am outside with no wifi connection I used to enable my mobile data and it used to work perfectly. I know its a pain. But lately I was on an online chat with ATT and they saw this problem and gave a case # like everyone else. Somehow, now I dont have even go through this extra work. ATT just fixed it I guess. Atleast for the place where I live. 

So, another option is totally disable 4GLTE and use it on 3G by using wap or by what m.a.s.e had suggested earlier in earlier posts.

Thanks,

Jan

336 of 499 (3,990 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 24, 2013 9:03:06 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

hey guys. ya very intimitent issue with me also. i had the HTC Vivid after replacement same problem.....now galaxy S III same problem...back when i had the vivid about a month ago they told me its a problem with there backhaul provider. what should i do? anybody have any recent solutions im in Minneapolis area. which we got the LTE but it bounces back and fourth from 4G to 4G LTE it did on the vivid. anybody know how to see it on the S3? Thanks.

337 of 499 (3,940 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 25, 2013 5:00:23 PM
    (0)
    Explorer
    Today I noticed several of my AT&T bloatware apps update, and under the "what's new" section, all mentioned the ability to work with JB 4.2.x. Maybe the long awaited update is on the horizon, and hopefully a fix to our problem.

338 of 499 (3,879 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 26, 2013 8:35:33 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Hi, my wife and I just joined AT&T about 3 weeks ago. I got the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and my wife got the S3. To date, neither of us have had this issue. We live in Connecticut and I travel to NY (Grand Central Terminal) and I don't have this issue here. I'm wondering if it's area related.

339 of 499 (3,828 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 1, 2013 11:32:10 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Edited by Phil-101 on May 1, 2013 at 12:00:36 PM

On the phone w/Debra at AT&T support. I am physically in Pullman, WA. Voice mail was received 3 hours. No indicatation that phone call was missed. Nothing on the log. Phone never rang. Was having the problem in February, but has been working (as much as I can know its working) since 2/22. Rep wanted to replace my phone, and I said, "Why?". She said it's my phone. I read her various posts on this log, tried to give her the URL of this log, and she still insisted that it was my phone, not the network. Case [edited for privacy]. Resolution on 5/6 in the morning.

[ Edited ]
    340 of 499 (3,579 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 1, 2013 3:35:29 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

Yes... 

It is an issue limited to localized areas. 

341 of 499 (3,549 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 3, 2013 10:58:24 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

AT&T called. Told them that the issue hasn't happened since 5/1, at least that I know. Explained (yet, again), that I don't know if the issue still exists since I can only know if someone leaves a voice mail. Rep said that he wanted to turn off the LTE. I said 'no'. I have a network monitor and when I receive or place a call, the nettwork switches from 4G to 3G. Rep said that they have had reports that LTE is causing the problem. I'm paying for LTE. If AT&T wants to  change my rate, I'm happy to change my features.

342 of 499 (3,435 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 4, 2013 7:03:24 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

That was exactly our method of attack. 

We contended that we were paying for specific services and functionality. If they couldn't provide that as stared in the contract, they were not holding up their end, rendering the contract as broken from their side. 

We asked for, and received, compensatory adjustments. 

343 of 499 (3,379 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 7, 2013 2:20:23 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

not even a week ago i purchased a Samsung Galaxy s4 and at first i didnt have any problems at all. since yesterday all my calls have been going straight to voice main and ive checked all my settings. this is very weird...i kept hearing that andriod 4.2 would fix it yet im having the problem.

344 of 499 (3,234 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 11, 2013 5:59:01 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

4.2.2 should have fixed it, but I guess not. 

Follow the methods earlier in the thread, get on the phone to AT&T, and start a ticket.... 

345 of 499 (2,953 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 13, 2013 2:31:27 PM
    (0)
    Explorer
    I just received a call from AT&T in response to my FCC complaint. The lady who called seemed unfamiliar with our problem herself, but stated she checked with the technicians and was told by them that in June, AT&T will switch to voice over LTE, eliminating the circuit switch fallback, which is the cause of all this. She also credited my account $100. This is at least a major step toward fixing the problem, so again we wait and hope, but at least there is some hope!

346 of 499 (2,810 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 14, 2013 6:40:39 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

Great going. Got to keep leaning on them. So long as they continue to lose revenue in the form of billing reductions, they'll be 'incentivized' to do the right thing. 

347 of 499 (2,700 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 22, 2013 12:50:23 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

Has anybody switched their band selection back to automatic to see if the issue has been resolved in your area(s)? I did this on Saturday 5/18 and no problems so far but I once went 5 days and prematurely thought it was fixed only to have yet another failure of calls and sms. 

348 of 499 (2,293 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 22, 2013 12:55:29 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

i personally gave up a long long long time ago. 

ATT support was the worst i ever recieved and after more then 150 phone calls explaining the issue again and again and again only to be asked to replace my sim/phone/toaster/fridge/dog i decided to just go ahead put another ROM on my phone. 

now im on JellyBean 4.2.2 latest from google. 

works flawlesly with zero issues on all bands. 

like i said from day one.... 

this is ATT lack of knowledge when they custemize google OS to have their LOGO apear and on the same note break the entire OS. 

keep viewing this thread is a complete waist of time, att does NOT listen to any of us. 

349 of 499 (2,293 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 22, 2013 3:27:15 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

It's absolutely not a waste of time... 

Even if AT&T isn't reading this, numerous people have been helped by it. 

Keep complaining-and keep posting the results and workarounds..... Smiley Happy

350 of 499 (2,271 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 23, 2013 5:26:47 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

Which rom did you go with? What was your install procedure? Wipe, stock, then to rom?

m.a.s.e wrote:

i personally gave up a long long long time ago. 

ATT support was the worst i ever recieved and after more then 150 phone calls explaining the issue again and again and again only to be asked to replace my sim/phone/toaster/fridge/dog i decided to just go ahead put another ROM on my phone. 

now im on JellyBean 4.2.2 latest from google. 

works flawlesly with zero issues on all bands. 

like i said from day one.... 

this is ATT lack of knowledge when they custemize google OS to have their LOGO apear and on the same note break the entire OS. 

keep viewing this thread is a complete waist of time, att does NOT listen to any of us. 

351 of 499 (2,257 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 23, 2013 5:36:16 AM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Cm10.1 based aosp
    Jb4.2.2 zero issues
    Highly customized
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1971952
    [ROM]HellFire™ 2.1 [4.2.2/CM10.1] UPDATED 5/12!!

352 of 499 (2,253 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 30, 2013 9:50:22 AM
    (0)
    Contributor
    Curious as to why JB 4.2.2 fixes this?
    From other posts I got the impression that the "circuit switch fallback" issue was with the 4G LTE/cell towers. Does JB 4.2.2 handle this better so that it gets around the problem?

353 of 499 (1,977 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 30, 2013 10:39:54 AM
    (0)
    Scholar
    The issue here is att own Rom for jb. Their bloatware messed up the Rom and the lte. Switching to other Rom jb4.2.2 fixed that cause art hadn't touched that Rom....

354 of 499 (1,967 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 30, 2013 11:31:13 AM
    (0)
    Mentor
    Edited by MN-Android on May 30, 2013 at 11:31:56 AM

Why does my wife's new AT&T Note II and a neighbors AT&T SG4 not have this issue? They are both running 4.2.2 ? Do these phones design cure the issue or does 4.2.2? Or has AT&T redesigned their rom?

[ Edited ]
    355 of 499 (1,960 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 30, 2013 11:40:48 AM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Fixed on 4.2.2

356 of 499 (1,955 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 30, 2013 11:56:21 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

After a 2 hour phone call with AT&T with front line reps then  with the retention  dept. they are sending me an SG4, running 4.2.2. I hope this is the end of this issue for me. One of the most frustrating phone calls I have ever had to endure! Reps, supervisors, retention, their supervisors, crazy!

357 of 499 (1,947 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 31, 2013 6:12:15 PM
    (0)
    Explorer
    I had the same issue but now it is gone after I upgraded to 4.2.2.

358 of 499 (1,877 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 11, 2013 9:54:50 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Hi,

I am having this same issue on S3 with AT&T and I live in Tennessee. I do not even see the calls coming in and then after the calls come in they get put on block some how right after and then I have a hard time with calling them back. I can receive text messages fine and check my emails fine. I am stressed out about the fact I cannot receive calls. My doctor had to call the home phone due to the fact he could not reach me on my cell phone. I was relieved he had my home phone but that is not the only important call I've missed.

What should I do? My friend in Florida is having the same problem with her S3.

Thanks

359 of 499 (1,483 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 12, 2013 12:55:10 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

theskyisnotalwaysblue wrote:

Hi,

I am having this same issue on S3 with AT&T and I live in Tennessee. I do not even see the calls coming in and then after the calls come in they get put on block some how right after and then I have a hard time with calling them back. I can receive text messages fine and check my emails fine. I am stressed out about the fact I cannot receive calls. My doctor had to call the home phone due to the fact he could not reach me on my cell phone. I was relieved he had my home phone but that is not the only important call I've missed.

What should I do? My friend in Florida is having the same problem with her S3.

Thanks

As far as having a phone that can receive calls, you can do the work around outlined by M A S E in earlier pages of this thread. When I did this and dropped down to HSPA vs LTE, the phone never failed but that is hardly a suitable fix over AT&T addressing and fixing it. As far as what you an do with AT&T, I wish you good luck. They will have you look at and verify every setting on the phone, send you to your nearest AT&T store for a new sim card and then finally exchange your phone for a refurbished one. None of this will cure ths issue and you will have to start completely over with explaining the issue with each new call to AT&T. The front line techs know nothing of this ongoing LTE issue but deeper levels of tech support do but they too can offer no remedy. 

360 of 499 (1,445 Views)