The Samsung Galaxy S24
j5k's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, August 10th, 2012 12:15 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

Explorer

• 

17 Messages

11 years ago

I, too, have been told this is a "circuit switch fallback" issue. Apparently, in order to save battery life, AT&T chose to have the phones stay in LTE only (which is a data-only system), and then if a call or text comes in, the phone "falls back" to 4g to take the call or text. This way, only one radio in the phone is working at a time instead of two, thus saving battery life. Looks great on paper, just isn't working in real life. I think AT&T put all their eggs in the fallback basket, and it doesn't work. They can't figure out how to fix it without re-doing the who system, and are in a world of you know what over this. Why else treat your customers this way? Even if they refuse to let people out of their contracts, eventually all our contracts will expire, and we will move on. Believe me, I hope they CAN fix it somehow, I'm stuck for almost a year yet. But if we let them sit on this, and more people sign up for it, they will string it along until they are ready to start whatever system comes along next. When will that be? Next year? Five years?

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

@Danvee wrote:

Simply that calls and texts were being missed, and the only recourse was to turn off WiFi, or disable 4G LTE.

Either way, you weren't getting the services for which you were paying or getting full use of the phone and its functions. 

They can 'see' the missed calls and texts. In our case, the call would go straight to VM, and the intended recipient would show neither a missed call nor a VM. 

It might also have been helpful that we were a new activation, with 3 phones, and within a time frame that would have had us returning everything and going with a different carrier. 

Also, we were insistent, but pleasant and polite, asking for escalation as needed. 

Received credit with case open to resolve issue in 3 days.

In my case I had replaced phone (new), sim, network reset couple of times - so I had 4-5 earlier calls to customer care for this issue with first issue reported in 2012 end.

So explain CSR (in polite tone) that you are having issue from xyz months, you have called earlier, tried xyz solution & mention you have paid for phone upgrade with 2 years contract & paying xyz/month but still missing calls.

If CSR mentions to disable LTE to resolve issue then may be ask him how to do & let him explain the process.

At the end ask him for bill adjustment / credit since you upgraded phone but still being forced to disable LTE to receive calls.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

11 years ago

If more people hit them in the stockholders' wallets with this the quicker it'll be resolved.
Continue to follow up on your case. They log every time you call, and log every missed call/text.
You should be able have the adjustment be applied to every billing automatically until the issue is resolved.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I'm experiencing the same issues with calls not coming through, and it's been making using my phone for my work difficult and frustrating. The lack of concern and urgency on ATT's part has driven me to come to the conclusion that I'm most likely going to jump ship to another carrier once my contract is up. If I suddenly stopped holding up my end of the bargain and quit paying my bill I'm sure they would spring into action, but the fact that right now I am paying for phone/data service that doesn't work as intended certainly doesn't seem to get them to worked up. ATT needs to consider that consumers vote with their dollars, and I'll be voting with mine by taking them to another carrier.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

11 years ago

True, but complaining to us does nothing.
Complaining to AT&T, setting up a ticket, and requesting a billing adjustment will incentivise them to fix the issue.
Imagine if everyone effected did that.
The stockholders would hold management's feet to the fire until it was corrected.
Money talks...... Large amounts of money are obeyed.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I have the same issue since November. Tried all trouble shoooting steps. I posted it on AT&T's facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/ATT/posts/10151354193843909 ) which got hugh attention from AT&T initially but then they stopped replying. I reached out to them on twitter, they were very quick to respond but the Tier 1 support just can't help you. I wrote to engadget, the verge and other blogs but they didnt think it interesting enough because it was only me who complained.

The only way to get this issue fixed is getting AT&T's attention. And only way to get AT&T's attention is when they stop receiving $$$. I have received credit of $250 so far. I also received a brand new Note II (Not replacement, they let me keep my Galaxy S3 and sent me additional phone for free) which is worth around $700. I encourage everyone to do the same. This is the only way they will get attention.

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

11 years ago

@AnnoyedAngryUser wrote:

I have the same issue since November. Tried all trouble shoooting steps. I posted it on AT&T's facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/ATT/posts/10151354193843909 ) which got hugh attention from AT&T initially but then they stopped replying. I reached out to them on twitter, they were very quick to respond but the Tier 1 support just can't help you. I wrote to engadget, the verge and other blogs but they didnt think it interesting enough because it was only me who complained.

The only way to get this issue fixed is getting AT&T's attention. And only way to get AT&T's attention is when they stop receiving $$$. I have received credit of $250 so far. I also received a brand new Note II (Not replacement, they let me keep my Galaxy S3 and sent me additional phone for free) which is worth around $700. I encourage everyone to do the same. This is the only way they will get attention.

What department at AT&T did you speak to for these adjustments to your account?

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

When is 4.1.2 going to be released for the S3???

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

11 years ago

Maybe some day.... Given AT&T's history with updates... Maybe after 5.0 is released. 

Maybe never..... Only time will tell, as nobody at AT&T is going to tell us - until it actually happens. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I feel so angry!!!!

Because of this problem, I missed my phone interview call  !!!!

Can anyone tell me whether it's the phone issue or AT&T issue ?

I will absolutely change one of them to its competitor's product !

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.