Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I decided to call that support number somebody mentioned. AT&T confirmed that the issue has been going on since Nov last year. The rep confirmed that it's an issue with all LTE devices (both iPhone and Android). They thought they have resolved the issue but it turned out the issue is not fixed. They are still working on the it. She offered to change the network setting of my phone (on the back end) to limit the connection to just 2G/3G so that it won't switch to LTE. I was reluctant at first but have agreed to have it done so that at least the phone will be usable for now (with slower data speed). It seemed that they understand the issue but don't know how to fix the problem. I will have to live with 3G for now. Will post more if I have an update.  

Message 286 of 499 (3,685 Views)
Tutor

I had ATT switch me back to 2G/3G, but my phone ( GS3) goes back to LTE after a while.

Message 287 of 499 (3,604 Views)
Mentor

You need the workaround posted some pages back.
Message 288 of 499 (3,572 Views)
Explorer

Even with 3G, I still lost signal and had to reboot the phone to make it usable. This is really bad. It seems the problem is much more serious than thought. I didnt think I could get any more disappointed.
Message 289 of 499 (3,384 Views)
Mentor

Update :
They're sticking to 4/8/13 before midnight as the deadline.
After that (and I have little confidence) we're going to be talking about adjusting the billing or cancelling the plan (without penalty, of course) due to their inability to supply services (4G LTE) that were contracted and paid for.
Message 290 of 499 (3,271 Views)
Teacher

Danvee wrote:
Update :
They're sticking to 4/8/13 before midnight as the deadline.
After that (and I have little confidence) we're going to be talking about adjusting the billing or cancelling the plan (without penalty, of course) due to their inability to supply services (4G LTE) that were contracted and paid for.

Link ?

Or are you mentioning what CSR told you on phone?

Message 291 of 499 (3,252 Views)
Teacher

contactparag wrote:

Solution (might work) 

Solution might be to disable LTE. Following steps are for S3 - not sure about other phones.

Found from one thread which was talking about saving battery.

1) While the phone turned is On - Remove back cover and press SIM card to move it out of slot (but not completely) - Don't remove battery
2) Phone will recognize there's no SIM & it will prompt for restart
3) Restart phone
4) After phone is turned on - Dial *#2263#  &  Wait for next options to appear
5) Select WCDMA (I think 2nd option) & under that WCDMA All (I think it's for HSPA+/3G)
6) Press SIM card back
7) Restart phone

This... works for sure.
But you would be downgrading from LTE.

Message 292 of 499 (3,252 Views)
Mentor

Phone call to removed # in post 271.
3rd level engineering.
They're sticking with the stated time frame.
Message 293 of 499 (3,209 Views)
Explorer

Let's see. Fingers crossed on Apr 8th promise. ATT, dont let me down again.
Message 294 of 499 (3,186 Views)
Tutor

I have the same problem with my galaxy note 2, replaced SIM cards but didnt help. Went to ATT store and they suggest go to warrenty center they can provide you refurbished replacement ...what ...I paid full price (700) to get this and now they want to replace with refurb and they referred to samsung support. Not sure if this can ever solve and it goes in circles.
Message 295 of 499 (3,150 Views)
Scholar

guys, 

its about time we will all finally understand. 

we will not see any type of resolution from ATT. 

our best bet is simply rooting our phone and removing the amature made ATT version of an OS with all their bloatware. 

i did it, put JB 4.2.2 and i have zero issues since then. 

sadly ATT had been nothing not even remotly close to helpfull. 

their tech level is at a 2 years old. 

completely useless. 

waiting for my contract to end so i can run as far away from a company that know nothing but take money. 

Message 296 of 499 (3,146 Views)
Teacher

I agree vsr8282. I fought with them for weeks. New Sim card, microcell tower, hours on the phone, reseting, locking to 3G, etc.

Finally they mailed me a refurb and it worked (amazingly) even though they said it probably would not. I agree it sucks when you paid for new, but after months of use the refurb was in better shape than my original.

Good luck.
Message 297 of 499 (3,144 Views)
Scholar

the only reason why it is working for u is cause the refurb came prolly with 4.1.2 and ur old phone was 4.1.1 and needed to be updated via kies...
the issue here that ATT messed up with the 4.1.1 update with their bloatware and corrupted the files that control the switch between voice and data.
if all here will update to 4.2.x or even 4.1.2 and above the issue will be resolved.
Message 298 of 499 (3,142 Views)
Mentor

m.a.s.e wrote:

waiting for my contract to end so i can run as far away from a company that know nothing but take money. 

I too will not sign anymore contracts with AT&T and await my expiration date. My entire family (3 accounts, family plan) is done dealing with this. After much work by me, I elevated my issue to a tech level that was aware of this issue only to be given false appeasement. They acknowledged the LTE issue, gave me a short term case number and never contacted me since. So in essence, they said, yes, we know there is a problem, might or might not get fixed, no idea when, now go away. First tier tech support still has no idea of the LTE problem if you call them so everyday, AT&T is putting people through hoops like new sim cards, refurbs, etc. Why they would want to spend all that money and  annoy customers is a mystery to me. Further my wife has a personal phone and a company phone with AT&T and has no intention of remaining with them. This issue is discussed amongst all her co-workers and there is concensus that perhaps they need to go with a more reliable carrier as well. I suspect that if I called higher levels of tech support weekly and demanded some satisfaction for a device that can't do what I contracted for, eventually they might do something for me but as I am sure they are counting on, I simply do not have the time or ambition to deal with them for hours on the phone any longer.

Message 299 of 499 (3,133 Views)
Tutor

whats to do with April 8, is there any update get pushed for this bug? I don't beleive the CSR words anymore ( because very few of them has upto the mark knowledge on these devices , technology and problems) and also not why sure they don't accept and forward to right person instead of wasting lot time.

Message 300 of 499 (3,113 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.