Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 9, 2012
5:15:14 PM
View profile
Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 17, 2013 5:51:42 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by jamileh on Feb 5, 2013 at 9:33:18 AM

Guys,

I got this issue fixed. You dont have to remove the battery or even restart your phone for that matter. This problem occurs mainly because of 4G LTE. I dont know if its the phone or the service. So, I have found an alternative.

What you need to do is add a new APN and run your device on 3G so that you can still get calls and browse until att or samsung fixes this issue. You can either use 4G toggle which you can download from google play to toggle between 3g and 4g. Or you can add as I have said above the new APN. Please go to Settings -> More settings -> Mobile Networks ->Access point names-> (+ new APN) . Give the Name of your choice but the APN should be defined as wap.cingular and finally save it. Change the existing apn to your newly created apn. Go to you home menu and you will see the 4G is used insted 4G LTE. You can even check your speed by using speed test.

Actually now I even have fewer dropped calls and I get the calls as soon as they call it. 

Please watch the below url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TqXFd5aJcuY or read this link : http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-iii/243505-jelly-bean-4-1-1-phone-calls-bug.html

<CM EDIT:

We are researching this but I have marked jan_raghavan's suggestion as an Accepted Solution for the time being because it's worked for a couple people. 

I have to note that this is NOT an AT&T solution and it will limit your capabilities on the device because you won't be on 4G but since it's helped a few of you, I want to make sure it's visible.>

Accepted Solution

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

498 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
View all replies
(498)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2013 11:56:56 AM
(0)
Scholar

Shawna,

lets back track and do some REAL troubleshooting...

forget all that CSR told u or tried to sell u....

first, lets clarify. 4g and LTE are two different things... 

LTE is data only while 4G (which is really 3G with a logo for 4G) is both data and voice. 

the issue here is that the phone while on LTE cant handle the proper change between DATA and voice, 

as mentioned above LTE is for data only. 

so ur phone cant do the switch from data only to voice and data network to accept the call... thats the issue, SMS comes on voice data, not LTE data, so same rules apply. 

answer me this please:

right now on ur phone, do u see LTE or 4G? 

do not do the solution on page one, that does not work. 

do this instead: 

1) With phone on, take off back cover and press your SIM card so it releases from the spring. It won't come all the way out as it's blocked by the battery. This seems fine - I didn't bother trying to force it out as I didn't want to break anything...
2) Once you see the message that the SIM card is removed, go to the dialer and dial *#2263#
3) You should see a menu with band selections. The current setting is "Automatic". If you switch to "GSM All", you will be EDGE (2G). If you switch to "WCDMA All", you will be on HSPA+ (3G, though AT&T and others call it 4G).
4) Press the SIM card back into place until it clicks. For whatever reason the phone will not recognize it until you reboot. Upon reboot you should see your new setting in effect

by doing this u will be forcing ur phone to use 4G only (voice and data),

do that, do some testing (phone calls and SMS) and report back. 

by process of elimination we can check the exact issue on ur phone. 

PS - i am assuming ur suing a samsung galaxy s3 with jelly bean 4.1.1 installed.... 

Shawna,

lets back track and do some REAL troubleshooting...

forget all that CSR told u or tried to sell u....

first, lets clarify. 4g and LTE are two different things... 

LTE is data only while 4G (which is really 3G with a logo for 4G) is both data and voice. 

the issue here is that the phone while on LTE cant handle the proper change between DATA and voice, 

as mentioned above LTE is for data only. 

so ur phone cant do the switch from data only to voice and data network to accept the call... thats the issue, SMS comes on voice data, not LTE data, so same rules apply. 

answer me this please:

right now on ur phone, do u see LTE or 4G? 

do not do the solution on page one, that does not work. 

do this instead: 

1) With phone on, take off back cover and press your SIM card so it releases from the spring. It won't come all the way out as it's blocked by the battery. This seems fine - I didn't bother trying to force it out as I didn't want to break anything...
2) Once you see the message that the SIM card is removed, go to the dialer and dial *#2263#
3) You should see a menu with band selections. The current setting is "Automatic". If you switch to "GSM All", you will be EDGE (2G). If you switch to "WCDMA All", you will be on HSPA+ (3G, though AT&T and others call it 4G).
4) Press the SIM card back into place until it clicks. For whatever reason the phone will not recognize it until you reboot. Upon reboot you should see your new setting in effect

by doing this u will be forcing ur phone to use 4G only (voice and data),

do that, do some testing (phone calls and SMS) and report back. 

by process of elimination we can check the exact issue on ur phone. 

PS - i am assuming ur suing a samsung galaxy s3 with jelly bean 4.1.1 installed.... 

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

241 of 499 (4,183 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2013 12:17:34 PM
(0)
Voyager

@m.a.s.e. No. I have the S2. I stated that in my first post LOL. So far the change of my access point name (APN) that jan_raghavan suggested appears to be working. This is being supported by jamileh of AT&T as an acceptable solution for the time being. Since I made the change the icon went from 4G LTE to 4G only. I won't really know if it's working until I get an E-Mail or someone tells me they kept calling but I couldn't be reached. Thank you for your responses. If the first fix doesn't help I'm sure I'll be back trying yours.

@m.a.s.e. No. I have the S2. I stated that in my first post LOL. So far the change of my access point name (APN) that jan_raghavan suggested appears to be working. This is being supported by jamileh of AT&T as an acceptable solution for the time being. Since I made the change the icon went from 4G LTE to 4G only. I won't really know if it's working until I get an E-Mail or someone tells me they kept calling but I couldn't be reached. Thank you for your responses. If the first fix doesn't help I'm sure I'll be back trying yours.

242 of 499 (4,172 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2013 12:19:29 PM
(0)
Scholar

sure thing Smiley Happy 

have an awesome day,

and remember - ur paying for LTE but cant use it...

gota love ATT

sure thing Smiley Happy 

have an awesome day,

and remember - ur paying for LTE but cant use it...

gota love ATT

243 of 499 (4,168 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2013 12:24:37 PM
(0)
Mentor

Yeah, but even if/when this issue is fixed (like say, with JB 4.2.x), we're still paying for LTE that we can't use for more than about 4 minutes per month (Google does the math for me: https://www.google.com/search?q=1%20GB%20%2F%2035%20Mbps )

I hardly see the point, compared to the ability to buy phones and just not have a data plan to begin with (because honestly, there is Wifi anywhere I really care to use non-voice/text stuff)

Yeah, but even if/when this issue is fixed (like say, with JB 4.2.x), we're still paying for LTE that we can't use for more than about 4 minutes per month (Google does the math for me: https://www.google.com/search?q=1%20GB%20%2F%2035%20Mbps )

I hardly see the point, compared to the ability to buy phones and just not have a data plan to begin with (because honestly, there is Wifi anywhere I really care to use non-voice/text stuff)

244 of 499 (4,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2013 6:18:05 PM
(0)
Explorer

Barbara Gish-Case
Could you please tell me why when I text my husband from my iPhone 4S to his galaxy S 3, he never gets it ? We are both in the same area. It appears that my text was successfully and I can see that he never receives it. Sometime we are just a few miles apart and sometime we are together the entire day. It has also been happening with my daughter.
It is extremely annoying.Like · · 51 minutes ago near Greenville, KY

Lisa Nicole Brown likes this.

Alfa Dorid It is the 4glte that is causing this alot of are having that problem
13 minutes ago · Like · 1

Alfa Dorid Go here and you wil see http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/Samsung-Galaxy-S3-Not-Receiving-Cal...
AT&T Community Support
forums.att.com

11 minutes ago · Like · 1 · Remove Preview

Barbara Gish-Case I just really wish it didn't appear that they received the text. It's causing a lot of problems
11 minutes ago via mobile · Like

Barbara Gish-Case Thank you
10 minutes ago via mobile · Unlike · 1

Alfa Dorid I know your pain people would call or text me and i get them very late or not at all , in the forum you will find some temp. fi

Barbara Gish-Case
Could you please tell me why when I text my husband from my iPhone 4S to his galaxy S 3, he never gets it ? We are both in the same area. It appears that my text was successfully and I can see that he never receives it. Sometime we are just a few miles apart and sometime we are together the entire day. It has also been happening with my daughter.
It is extremely annoying.Like · · 51 minutes ago near Greenville, KY

Lisa Nicole Brown likes this.

Alfa Dorid It is the 4glte that is causing this alot of are having that problem
13 minutes ago · Like · 1

Alfa Dorid Go here and you wil see http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/Samsung-Galaxy-S3-Not-Receiving-Calls-Phone-issue-or-Android/td-p/3270741
AT&T Community Support
forums.att.com

11 minutes ago · Like · 1 · Remove Preview

Barbara Gish-Case I just really wish it didn't appear that they received the text. It's causing a lot of problems
11 minutes ago via mobile · Like

Barbara Gish-Case Thank you
10 minutes ago via mobile · Unlike · 1

Alfa Dorid I know your pain people would call or text me and i get them very late or not at all , in the forum you will find some temp. fi

245 of 499 (4,116 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2013 6:20:45 PM
(0)
Explorer

Like mase i am glad i could help someone today. with no help form any at&t rep at all smh.

Like mase i am glad i could help someone today. with no help form any at&t rep at all smh.

246 of 499 (4,114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2013 6:33:44 PM
(0)
Explorer

I went a step further guys and posted this on samung facebook page guys 

I love my GS3 but AT&T is really making your phone look bad when we are not able to use are 4g lte here is a forum where alot of us are having this problem wish you guys can help them fix this. http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/Samsung-Galaxy-S3-Not-Receiving-Cal...

AT&T Community Support
forums.wireless.att.com    https://www.facebook.com/SamsungMobileUSA

I went a step further guys and posted this on samung facebook page guys 

I love my GS3 but AT&T is really making your phone look bad when we are not able to use are 4g lte here is a forum where alot of us are having this problem wish you guys can help them fix this. http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/Samsung-Galaxy-S3-Not-Receiving-Calls-Phone-issue-or-Android/td-p/3270741/highlight/false

AT&T Community Support
forums.wireless.att.com    https://www.facebook.com/SamsungMobileUSA

247 of 499 (4,109 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2013 6:37:22 PM
(0)
Scholar
Can u please post a direct link too your comment on Samsung facebook? There are so many comments there I'm having a hard time funding yours
Can u please post a direct link too your comment on Samsung facebook? There are so many comments there I'm having a hard time funding yours

248 of 499 (4,100 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2013 6:49:09 PM
(0)
Explorer

having trouble with a link but on the right side it is alfra dorid second one down

having trouble with a link but on the right side it is alfra dorid second one down

249 of 499 (4,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2013 6:03:43 AM
(0)
Scholar

Called ATT today, asking if there is a solution in the near future, the rep who answered had no idea what i am talkingabout. 

i tried to refer to this thread, but she said they are not allowed to read links, even if they are internal.

after suggesting to replace my phone, sim, get a booster, talk to samsung etc i gave up. 

thanks her and hung up. 

i trully believe ATT should offer a way out of the contract without paying fees since i am paying for a service that i cannot get. 

my phone is completely a paperwight when on LTE,

all 3 of my phones, all 3 same issue, all 3 started the same time. 

does anyone know of a solution to this issue other then disabeling LTE? 

Called ATT today, asking if there is a solution in the near future, the rep who answered had no idea what i am talkingabout. 

i tried to refer to this thread, but she said they are not allowed to read links, even if they are internal.

after suggesting to replace my phone, sim, get a booster, talk to samsung etc i gave up. 

thanks her and hung up. 

i trully believe ATT should offer a way out of the contract without paying fees since i am paying for a service that i cannot get. 

my phone is completely a paperwight when on LTE,

all 3 of my phones, all 3 same issue, all 3 started the same time. 

does anyone know of a solution to this issue other then disabeling LTE? 

250 of 499 (3,904 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2013 2:47:33 PM
(0)
Teacher
Has anyone tried to upgrade to JB 4.2.x manually to see if it solves the problem?

There is a link here:
http://www.gogadgetx.com/how-to-update-samsung-galaxy-note-2-to-android-4-2-2-jelly-bean-internation...

and it looks like you do not have to be rooted to do this.
Has anyone tried to upgrade to JB 4.2.x manually to see if it solves the problem?

There is a link here:
http://www.gogadgetx.com/how-to-update-samsung-galaxy-note-2-to-android-4-2-2-jelly-bean-international-att-t-mobile-and-verizon/

and it looks like you do not have to be rooted to do this.

251 of 499 (3,875 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2013 3:16:47 PM
(0)
Scholar

this is for the note. 

this thread is for the SG3

it will not work. 

this is for the note. 

this thread is for the SG3

it will not work. 

252 of 499 (3,869 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2013 3:53:28 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well, it's been a week since ATT told me it was "fixed" in my area.  I'm happy to report that her phone has continued to work.  The rep called me back today to confirm it was still working.  I tried to get a little more info out of her for you all.  She said that I was the only customer she was assigned in my market and I'm the only one who has reported it working. Customers she has in other markets still report it not working.  She said though that ATT still considers the solution in-test right now and she wasn't sure which markets it had been rolled out to.  Im around STL in case anybody else is in this area and wants to test it.  In an earlier phone call with her, she had said ATT hoped to roll it out by the end of March.   

Well, it's been a week since ATT told me it was "fixed" in my area.  I'm happy to report that her phone has continued to work.  The rep called me back today to confirm it was still working.  I tried to get a little more info out of her for you all.  She said that I was the only customer she was assigned in my market and I'm the only one who has reported it working. Customers she has in other markets still report it not working.  She said though that ATT still considers the solution in-test right now and she wasn't sure which markets it had been rolled out to.  Im around STL in case anybody else is in this area and wants to test it.  In an earlier phone call with her, she had said ATT hoped to roll it out by the end of March.   

253 of 499 (3,855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2013 7:27:08 PM
(0)
Explorer

What kills me is we are all from different cities,  and we don't know each other, but yet we share the same problems. So       if the peolpe from at&t are using the same phone we are, its know way they can't be aware of this problem. But yet they want to act brand new when we call and address this issue. 

What kills me is we are all from different cities,  and we don't know each other, but yet we share the same problems. So       if the peolpe from at&t are using the same phone we are, its know way they can't be aware of this problem. But yet they want to act brand new when we call and address this issue. 

254 of 499 (3,826 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2013 10:35:10 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yea, sorry m.a.s.e. you are right, it is for a Note 2

But has anyone tried upgrading Android on the S3 with success/failure?

Yea, sorry m.a.s.e. you are right, it is for a Note 2

But has anyone tried upgrading Android on the S3 with success/failure?

255 of 499 (3,738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2013 10:44:13 PM
(0)
Teacher

I am on a Note 2 experiencing all the same intermittent issues described.

Missed calls (they go direct to Voicemail)

Delayed texts

Emergency calls only

10 seconds until outgoing calls ring

I am living/working North of Boston and regularly experience these issues there.

Traveled to Japan last week, no issues (had data turned off).

Returned via Minneapolis and had same issues there.

Spoke with ATT, they would not review this forum, would not acknowledge the issue.  Said they were "unaware".

After nearly 1 hour explaining issue to 4 people, finally had someone promise to have "engineer" call me within 1 week.

REALLY ATT?  If there are reps on here acknowledging the issue, why does no one on the phone know about it.  Why must I waste all my time explaining this issue on the phone every time I call?  If this is a known issue, who can I contact to discuss?  Is there a reference number or something?  When will it be resolved?

Please respond.  Please help.  Please.

I am on a Note 2 experiencing all the same intermittent issues described.

Missed calls (they go direct to Voicemail)

Delayed texts

Emergency calls only

10 seconds until outgoing calls ring

I am living/working North of Boston and regularly experience these issues there.

Traveled to Japan last week, no issues (had data turned off).

Returned via Minneapolis and had same issues there.

Spoke with ATT, they would not review this forum, would not acknowledge the issue.  Said they were "unaware".

After nearly 1 hour explaining issue to 4 people, finally had someone promise to have "engineer" call me within 1 week.

REALLY ATT?  If there are reps on here acknowledging the issue, why does no one on the phone know about it.  Why must I waste all my time explaining this issue on the phone every time I call?  If this is a known issue, who can I contact to discuss?  Is there a reference number or something?  When will it be resolved?

Please respond.  Please help.  Please.

256 of 499 (3,737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2013 10:55:36 AM
(0)
Contributor
I lice in Gresham and went thru 3 phones, Atrix HD's all, in one day then did an exchange for the GS3 and still having the same problem. AT&T about as helpful as a politician after elected. Seems to be MAJOR LTE PROBLEM! (LTE not supposed to have any effect on voice but only get calls when DATA is on.) Wife iPhone 4 has no problem with calls at same location.
I lice in Gresham and went thru 3 phones, Atrix HD's all, in one day then did an exchange for the GS3 and still having the same problem. AT&T about as helpful as a politician after elected. Seems to be MAJOR LTE PROBLEM! (LTE not supposed to have any effect on voice but only get calls when DATA is on.) Wife iPhone 4 has no problem with calls at same location.

257 of 499 (3,636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2013 1:01:29 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have been caught up in this situation for a few months and found this thread.  I have done all discussed, including taking way too much of my personal time to try and solve an issue that if we all pay AT&T for calls, texts and data, they should address & fix.  

My solution - After NUMEROUS PHONE CALLS TO CUSTOMER SERVICE, I received quite a few credits.  Finally I was so fed up - I asked the CSR to tell me how much it was to cancel my contract and pay the ETF (early termination fee) - and to my surprise, they had given me more credits than it would have cost for me to pay out of pocket for the ETF.  I then promptly cancelled my contract!  

Bottom line - if you are not getting what you are paying for ask for credits to your account and you might find a way out.   Good luck to all and let's hope someone at AT&T gets this issue fixed!!

I have been caught up in this situation for a few months and found this thread.  I have done all discussed, including taking way too much of my personal time to try and solve an issue that if we all pay AT&T for calls, texts and data, they should address & fix.  

My solution - After NUMEROUS PHONE CALLS TO CUSTOMER SERVICE, I received quite a few credits.  Finally I was so fed up - I asked the CSR to tell me how much it was to cancel my contract and pay the ETF (early termination fee) - and to my surprise, they had given me more credits than it would have cost for me to pay out of pocket for the ETF.  I then promptly cancelled my contract!  

Bottom line - if you are not getting what you are paying for ask for credits to your account and you might find a way out.   Good luck to all and let's hope someone at AT&T gets this issue fixed!!

258 of 499 (3,615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2013 2:05:55 PM
(0)
Scholar

called ATT,

set up an APT to get a call from "retention" within 2 days. 

hopefully i can get out of this contract and go somewhere i can actually use my phone and not have a 600$ paperwight (no, i refuse to disable LTE and accept that as a solution" .... 

u get what u pay for.... i paid ALOT for 2 phones, i expect them to work...sincethey were bought full price, they are mine. to go anywhere i want to and have a supprted network. THAT WORKS. 

called ATT,

hopefully i can get out of this contract and go somewhere i can actually use my phone and not have a 600$ paperwight (no, i refuse to disable LTE and accept that as a solution" .... 

u get what u pay for.... i paid ALOT for 2 phones, i expect them to work...sincethey were bought full price, they are mine. to go anywhere i want to and have a supprted network. THAT WORKS. 

259 of 499 (3,604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2013 2:08:09 PM
(0)
Mentor

m.a.s.e wrote:

called ATT,

Let us know how that call goes...

m.a.s.e wrote:

called ATT,

Let us know how that call goes...

260 of 499 (3,600 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2013 2:58:06 PM
(0)
Explorer

@ M.A.S.E lol i saw you in a forum asking about something , just want to say i have being use it for a week now and i love it , but i think lte still might be and issue , the few time i used it was cool, but still not want to risk leaving it on lte all night and miis call.

@ M.A.S.E lol i saw you in a forum asking about something , just want to say i have being use it for a week now and i love it , but i think lte still might be and issue , the few time i used it was cool, but still not want to risk leaving it on lte all night and miis call.

261 of 499 (3,600 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2013 4:59:24 PM
(0)
Mentor

m.a.s.e: You paid full price for the phones and still have a contract? I thought when you paid full price for the phones you don't have a contact?

m.a.s.e: You paid full price for the phones and still have a contract? I thought when you paid full price for the phones you don't have a contact?

262 of 499 (3,576 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2013 5:17:53 PM
(0)
Scholar

i had the s2 under contract. and i wanted s3 still under contract. so sold my s2's and bought s3 full price. 

i had the s2 under contract. and i wanted s3 still under contract. so sold my s2's and bought s3 full price. 

263 of 499 (3,573 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2013 8:45:15 AM
(0)
Scholar

OMG ATT is the worst company i ever had the un pleasure of talking to tech support. 

i called again to ask status, let me not start that the rep had NO idea what i am talking about and again told me i need to replace my sim,phone,life,car,fridge in order to trouibleshoot this. 

after i begged her to check this forum, check the bazzilion case numbers i have and she kept on refusing i asked for her to simply unlock my phone so i can get the F our of ATT

to my surprise she said "no, u need to pay the ETF in order for me to unlock your phone"

there are no words to describe how much i despise ATT right about now. 

luckily there is XDA developers, and we can easily unlock our phones without the need for ATT. 

this is by far the worst experience i EVER had with a customer service. 

and yet ,there is zero help on this matter from ATT. insane

OMG ATT is the worst company i ever had the un pleasure of talking to tech support. 

i called again to ask status, let me not start that the rep had NO idea what i am talking about and again told me i need to replace my sim,phone,life,car,fridge in order to trouibleshoot this. 

after i begged her to check this forum, check the bazzilion case numbers i have and she kept on refusing i asked for her to simply unlock my phone so i can get the F our of ATT

to my surprise she said "no, u need to pay the ETF in order for me to unlock your phone"

there are no words to describe how much i despise ATT right about now. 

luckily there is XDA developers, and we can easily unlock our phones without the need for ATT. 

this is by far the worst experience i EVER had with a customer service. 

and yet ,there is zero help on this matter from ATT. insane

264 of 499 (3,522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2013 4:11:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

I’ve been battling this problem for several months.  I bought three new Galaxy S3 phones and they all have the same problem.  I’m missing many calls and if someone bothers to leave a voicemail do not get a voicemail alert for several hours.  The phones work fine for outgoing calls, but not for incoming calls.  Incoming SMS and MMS messages are delayed for several hours.  When I place an outgoing call, the phone works fine for a few hours, but eventually locks up and stops receiving calls and messages making it a difficult problem to flush out.

I’ve been on the phone with at&t at least 30 hours over the past several months and my energy is drained.  I’ve sent one of the phones back to Samsung for “repair” three times and the problem still exists.  Samsung basically replaced the entire phone by the end of third trip to their service center.  I sent it to Samsung because at&t said their warranty only covers sending me a refurbished phone with possible dents, scratches, and/or blemishes.  I bought three new phones and I will not accept at&t’s refurbished phone policy.  Any replacement phone would have the same issue as well, because the issue is with the at&t network.  I travel extensively and the problem exists no matter where I’ve been in the USA.

They have to be aware there is a very serious problem with their network.  I find it almost impossible to believe they don’t know very well about this problem.  It is beyond aggravating to go through the same games on the phone with their tech support every time I call in.  It takes a good 30 minutes to get them to the point where they’re not asking questions such as “is your ringer volume turned down?”.  Verizon should capitalize on this and do a commercial explain at&T’s failing 4G LTE network.

I’ve tried many alternative APN’s and configurations, but all have one problem or another.  Some won’t work for hotspot, some are not any better than the factory settings, and some seem to work better, but still drop off the network for 20 seconds every 5 minutes.  If I try to place a call during this dropout period, I get the “EMERGENCY CALLS ONLY” message, and certainly any calls that come in during this drop out period are missed.

I’m now trying the “pull the sim card out and dial *#2263# method”.  So far it is working, but I also do not accept this as a solution.  If this fails, I’m flying to their HQ and discuss this face to face.  It’s not a matter of money at this point… I just want my phone to work no matter what the solution.  If another carrier had worldwide coverage, I’d switch in a heartbeat.  I don’t care about ETF or collection agencies… I need a working phone.

I’ve been battling this problem for several months.  I bought three new Galaxy S3 phones and they all have the same problem.  I’m missing many calls and if someone bothers to leave a voicemail do not get a voicemail alert for several hours.  The phones work fine for outgoing calls, but not for incoming calls.  Incoming SMS and MMS messages are delayed for several hours.  When I place an outgoing call, the phone works fine for a few hours, but eventually locks up and stops receiving calls and messages making it a difficult problem to flush out.

I’ve been on the phone with at&t at least 30 hours over the past several months and my energy is drained.  I’ve sent one of the phones back to Samsung for “repair” three times and the problem still exists.  Samsung basically replaced the entire phone by the end of third trip to their service center.  I sent it to Samsung because at&t said their warranty only covers sending me a refurbished phone with possible dents, scratches, and/or blemishes.  I bought three new phones and I will not accept at&t’s refurbished phone policy.  Any replacement phone would have the same issue as well, because the issue is with the at&t network.  I travel extensively and the problem exists no matter where I’ve been in the USA.

They have to be aware there is a very serious problem with their network.  I find it almost impossible to believe they don’t know very well about this problem.  It is beyond aggravating to go through the same games on the phone with their tech support every time I call in.  It takes a good 30 minutes to get them to the point where they’re not asking questions such as “is your ringer volume turned down?”.  Verizon should capitalize on this and do a commercial explain at&T’s failing 4G LTE network.

I’ve tried many alternative APN’s and configurations, but all have one problem or another.  Some won’t work for hotspot, some are not any better than the factory settings, and some seem to work better, but still drop off the network for 20 seconds every 5 minutes.  If I try to place a call during this dropout period, I get the “EMERGENCY CALLS ONLY” message, and certainly any calls that come in during this drop out period are missed.

I’m now trying the “pull the sim card out and dial *#2263# method”.  So far it is working, but I also do not accept this as a solution.  If this fails, I’m flying to their HQ and discuss this face to face.  It’s not a matter of money at this point… I just want my phone to work no matter what the solution.  If another carrier had worldwide coverage, I’d switch in a heartbeat.  I don’t care about ETF or collection agencies… I need a working phone.

265 of 499 (3,391 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2013 3:30:51 PM
(0)
Tutor

This solution won't work on my S3 because when I pop out the SIM card as instructed, I get a popup telling me my SIM card is out and my only option is RESTART. I'm unable to access the keypad to dial #anything, much less disable LTE. Anyone else have a viable solution?

This solution won't work on my S3 because when I pop out the SIM card as instructed, I get a popup telling me my SIM card is out and my only option is RESTART. I'm unable to access the keypad to dial #anything, much less disable LTE. Anyone else have a viable solution?

266 of 499 (3,296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2013 4:03:25 PM
(0)
Explorer
Just restart it with the card out and continue the procedure.
Just restart it with the card out and continue the procedure.

267 of 499 (3,288 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2013 4:48:11 PM
(0)
Explorer
I have the HTC one x and same issue. It's a known issue with ATT and the LTE network is what one of the reps told me, after 14 calls, 3 call backs, an open case to network engineers, and endless drama with them. Their suggestion* disable LTE since
I always use WiFi. How about no, you fix it? And, to my understanding, my phone can't disable LTE. Lol so, keep calling them and referencing this forum, that it's a known issue, and maybe you'll get a time frame. I was told, no time yet, but we'll let you know. Tells me, they don't care. Half of them use Verizon anyway more than likely. Hope this helps anyone.
I have the HTC one x and same issue. It's a known issue with ATT and the LTE network is what one of the reps told me, after 14 calls, 3 call backs, an open case to network engineers, and endless drama with them. Their suggestion* disable LTE since
I always use WiFi. How about no, you fix it? And, to my understanding, my phone can't disable LTE. Lol so, keep calling them and referencing this forum, that it's a known issue, and maybe you'll get a time frame. I was told, no time yet, but we'll let you know. Tells me, they don't care. Half of them use Verizon anyway more than likely. Hope this helps anyone.

268 of 499 (3,279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2013 5:51:12 AM
(0)
Tutor

My wife and I both started experiencing this issue before either of us had upgraded the OS, so I don't think it's an upgrade issue.

My wife and I both started experiencing this issue before either of us had upgraded the OS, so I don't think it's an upgrade issue.

269 of 499 (3,153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2013 6:02:23 AM
(0)
Tutor

I also don't believe it's a hardware issue because a) I had my S3 replaced and it continues to miss calls and texts, b) my wife's Samsung Captivate has started to do the same thing and c) it started happening before either of us upgraded the OS. It also wasn't happening for the first couple of months I owned the phone - it only started happening after LTE came into my area. And it certainly wasn't happening for the last year that my wife has had her Captivate.

I also don't believe it's a hardware issue because a) I had my S3 replaced and it continues to miss calls and texts, b) my wife's Samsung Captivate has started to do the same thing and c) it started happening before either of us upgraded the OS. It also wasn't happening for the first couple of months I owned the phone - it only started happening after LTE came into my area. And it certainly wasn't happening for the last year that my wife has had her Captivate.

270 of 499 (3,152 Views)