For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
j5k's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, August 10th, 2012 12:15 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

Scholar

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

yeah, for u it wont help per my instructions BUT...

the code is to force the phone to use a specific network and not "all" 

per my instructions ur forcing the phone to use 3G 

in ur case since u only get 2G u can force the phone to use 2G only

but that sucks, bad.... 

sorry 😞

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

11 years ago

Is there really areas with 2G and 4G coverage, but no 3G? wt...

Scholar

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

LOL
I guess in Lapland

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks though. In my search for solutions I found this info which disables the network lock AT&T forces on our phones. Doing this will enable people to dial *#2263# without taking the phone apart to pop out the sim card. Also eliminates the need for rebooting.

Thanks to norbarb on XDA:
From the phone dialer enter: *#197328640#
Umts -> Debug Screen -> Phone Control -> Network Lock -> RAT_FREE_SUPPORITNG ON <- once you choose this option it will say "Now RAT Free Supporting" - this will allow you to change bands freely (no need to pull the SIM card) until your next reboot.

Save *#197328640# in your contacts. I wasn't able to call the contact directly but from the dialer you can dial *#1 and it will pop up as a suggestion - you press that and it launches automatically.

Scholar

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

thats awesome.
thanks for that.
only prob its annoying to do that again after each restart... 🙂 but whatever works is good 🙂
only funny part is that WE THE USERS do NOT need to go find the tech codes, disable LTE on our phone and be forced to use 2G while paying for LTE....
and get ZERO support.
sucks to be a lil paying user in a multi billion corp that simply dont care...

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Taylarie and jamileh, where is your insight now please? We are asking for answers and not gettinf any. What good are these forums? Yes I know this is probably a violation of the bylaws but we are customers meaning you work for us. This means we need answers on this issue. Since everytime someone calls they seem to get nowhere what are we to do? [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Scholar

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

ATT Reps,
any update????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I live in Phoenix, AZ. I have had my Samsung Galaxy S II for over a year. I have had these issues for awhile, not receiving texts and phone calls. Today 3-6-2013 I decided to call AT&T to find out what was going on. I was advised there has been no outages in my area. I was also advised AT&T does not guarantee service inside. What? Really? So 90% of the time your phones might not work and AT&T does not care because they don't guarantee service inside. What am I paying them for? I have a little over a year left on this contract and feel trapped by this horrible service. It's really dishartening as I have been a customer since 2004, despite my family trying to convince me to switch to another carrier. I always said that every cell phone service provider would have some sort of issues. That was when I was only dealing with dropped calls. Now I don't even get the calls or texts. I don't even get notified I missed a call. One time my child's school was trying to reach me. Today I spoke with a customer service representative by the name of Lisa. She is the one who told me that service is not guaranteed inside but that I could spend almost $200, $199 and some change, to have something inside my home that would boost my signal. I have signal, my phone is not working. My husband's phone has the same issues, same make and model. Very frustrated right now. Can't believe AT&T is trying to get more money out of us. I don't pay them enough already?

Scholar

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

the issue ur explaining does not sound like the one in this thread.
this issue here is when you are on LTE only no mater how much u try u will not get a single phone call, u will need to switch to wifi, 3g, 2g or simply disable LTE to get the calls in.....
ur issue sounds like a coverage area issue where they gona sell u a "booster" PS - you can and should get that booster for free.....

its by law,
since they cant give u service in ur area and can only fix it by a booster, you can get 1 of 2 things:
1. ur contract canceled with no fees (since they cant provide the service).
2. get the booster for free.
i suggest calling their useless excuse for a customer service line and tell them u either want the booster free or out of the contract.
good luck

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I have signal. I live in Phoenix one of the largest cities in the U.S. A booster will do nothing for me. I have to turn my phone off and then back on to get calls and texts. I had one text come in two hours after it was sent. I don't even know my phone is not working until I get an E-Mail saying someone has been trying to reach me. I'm supposed to be on 4G LTE. I read the improvised solution from the link on pg. 1 of this thread and will try that, but seriously this is horrible. I don't think the CSR Lisa knew what was going on. CSRs are given a set of troubleshooting guidelines. That does not mean they really understand how to help. As soon as the CSR began her sales pitch I ended that call. I could already tell she couldn't help me. Hoping the "solution" helps. I have missed several important phone calls because of this.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.