The Samsung Galaxy S24
j5k's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, August 10th, 2012 12:15 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

Scholar

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

That was me, enjoy. I'm glad it helped. But remember, ur paying for lte but can't use it, so yes be happy. But also demand result from att 🙂

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

LOL by "march" they mean sometimes in the fall or next year

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

After talking with ATT support, it seemed like the best idea was to have ATT drop me back to 4G ( no LTE) They can easily do this. Now I have some documentation to go back to ATT with, and ask for compensation for not having LTE capabilities; even though I am being charged. for them. Best case scenario is that when ATT finally comes up with a fix to allow full LTE and no calls just showing up in VM, they will come up with a reasonable and fair credit for the time not having LTE and the vast number of time consuming calls made to tech support trying to get through to them that there is a problem. I think the word is finally getting to tech support that there are issues. If you call tech support and they do not know what you are refering to, tell them that you believe that there is an issue with the service in your area not switching between, LTE and 4G. This may or may not be nation wide, but only in specific regions. I believe that they are working on the problem, but I would not expect and immediate solution

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

AT&T customer service called. Said that they were aware of the problem with LTE and Android but had no resolution. They are sending a new SIM card to just have on record that they tried. I told her repeatedly to check this thread. She was unaware that it existed and refused to write it down, so I read it into the 'recorded' version of the call and also pointed her to the IM threads from three previous sessions which she said she didn't have access to.

I've been testing a work-around since the network monitor I've installed shows that every voice call switches the network from LTE, 4G to UMTS, 3G. When the call completes, it switches back to LTE, 4G. 1% of the last 48 hours, it has switched to HSPA+, 4G then back to LTE, 4G.

The work around is that I've enabled the AT&T mobile data even when I’m on a solid Wi-Fi connection. It appears that the mobile data connection is necessary to manage the network switch since about 100K in data network traffic happens even when I've got a solid Wi-Fi connection to manage the switch between the 4G and 3G networks.

Since I'm on a 300M data limit, the AT&T rep said that AT&T would compensate me for any overage in network usage for leaving the mobile network on. Others who are having the issue might want to try this work-around. But since if someone calls, the phone doesn't ring and if they leave no voice mail, I can't tell how mad they are until I get a second call that goes through or a text or an email, I'm not sure this work-around works. But so far, no missed calls since making this change, or at least none that I know about.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

What are the 13 markets that are affected? I live in South Florida and there is a brand new GS3 waiting for me at home to replace the GS2 that is having an issue of shutting itself down when it's idle and the battery draining and you never know you've missed calls, since an over-the-air update in December.

My father has stage 4 kidney disease and I just can't miss a call in case I'm needed. Please tell me if any of you experiencing this problem live in South Florida.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

NoStuff -- could you explain how to "enable mobile data" even when on Wi-Fi?

In general, how does WiFi status affect the problem that people are experiencing? Do missed calls occur when on Wifi? When not on Wifi? Does it matter?

Scholar

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

you will miss calls when you are on LTE only. 

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

11 years ago

In my case, my radios (WIFI and DATA) are always off unless and I use them on demand. With both radios off, my phone still would not permit calls/texts to come through. The fix of using a code through the dialer has stopped this but I am not utilizing the LTE phone and network I am paying for.

Scholar

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

and that is exactly why this thread is about. 

thats what weve been trying to get att to do...

fix it

since were paying for it

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

bztips - you enable 'mobile data' in Settings - Data Usage then check Mobile Data.

Since making this switch, I'm not having the problem with calls not ringing.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.