For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
j5k's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, August 10th, 2012 12:15 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

11 years ago

@m.a.s.e wrote:

i disabled mine with *#2663#

Just checking... You use the same code/procedure to put it back to LTE if you want to, correct?

Scholar

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

Easily

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

11 years ago

***UPDATE FROM AT&T***

Just got a call from a higher level of support since a case was created for my issue. They said they are well aware of the problem with their LTE network. She further stated that it is effecting many customers in 13 markets. She also was aware of the work around of dropping back to HSPA or 3g mentioned here and elsewhere. I asked her how AT&T would notify me when they come up with a remedy, there was silence for a bit then she said there currently was no way to notify all the customers. She said she would have to call me every week. So basically AT&T is telling me that the LTE phone I signed up for is not able to function on that network, there is no fix and we won't be alerting you to a fix when and IF one is found. Wow, what great customer service!

I am also mad at myself as is always the case with stuff like this, you think of something or question you wished you had asked but forgot. I wanted to ask why they do not make this information available to the first line tech support so people can stop doing resets, replacing sim cards and phones! I was caught off guard by the call on a Sunday and I was in my truck plowing snow.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

@luke13 wrote:

My APN that I created is still on my phone by my old APN also says "ATT PHONE". Was just chatting with an ATT employee online and this is  part of the conversation that took place. I gave him the forum address for him to take a look at...

ATT: That is a forum though. I'm checking to see if there is an official word from the manufacture or by us.

ATTJust a moment.

MeOk

ATTIt does not show that we are having any known device issue. I would like to troubleshoot and  take examples so we can find a solution. It may be a network issue in your area or something with the device itself. I have never had an issue with this device and in my market.

Jamileh, can you address this. Is there an issue or isn't there? 

This is being researched but unfortunately I don't have any ofther info right now. I have asked for an update and will let you guys know what I find out.

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

11 years ago

Funny how my call from AT&T shows they were fully aware of the issue and even stated it was effecting 13 markets. How absurd this issue is becoming. Get the right AT&T tech on the phone and you get answers, get the wrong one and you remain in the dark! No info to the front line tech support so how many other customers will be put through useless hoops trying to resolve a known issue!

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

This is just getting ridiculous.  I was called and given a trend number stating that they are aware of the phone not switching from LTE to voice to allow an incoming call to come through.  People are given conflicting information.  AT&T customer service is a joke.

I am totally gone when my contract is up.  I don't want excuses and passing the buck.  I want SERVICE, you know, the thing I am paying for is supposed to ring my phone when I get a call.  A smartphone is USELESS if it doesn't do the basic function of TAKING CALLS.  

I wonder how many people aren't aware they are having a problem.  Just talked to my uncle who lives about 30 miles away.  Him AND his wife are getting text messages way after they are sent (they are in the same LTE market in Portland, Oregon).  He wasn't aware he was missing calls because very few people leave a voice message.  They just call him on his home land line if he doesn't answer his cell phone.

So, that makes EIGHT people in the Portland, Oregon LTE market that I know personally are having the same issues.  Some have iphones, some have Samsung, etc.  It IS NOT A PHONE problem AT&T,  IT IS YOUR PROBLEM!  

Please fix it!

Scholar

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

any updates on this?
any official word from ATT?

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I have been having the missed calls, unable to make calls, delayed VM notification and text messages for months now.  After MANY calls to AT&T Customer Support, as well as, having a critical case started, swapping out phones, changing SIM cards, factory resets and every other possible remedy, my phone STILL does not work!!!

However, a ray of hope, the critical case rep told me they are aware of the problem and were patching their network last weekend and my problem should be resolved!!  It has to do with the 3G - 4G network hand off between calls and data.  AT&T uses the 3G network to process calls and 4G LTE for data which was having problems releasing the data session to process a call.  She told me to check the phone over the weekend and the beginning of this week to make sure I was receiving calls.  Oh boy!  I was ecstatic, finally a solution to the problem!! 

Unfortunately, my excitement was quickly dashed when I got a call on my landline from a client asking why I have not answered my cell phone the past two days.  So I called my cell phone from my landline and my fears were quickly realized, the call did not ring on my cell. 

So, I still have a $200 paper weight that is costing me $3,600 over the 2 year contract and NO RESOLUTION FROM AT&T!!! 

I am tired of playing games with them, back to Big Red, I should have never left in the first place.  But as they say, Live and Learn! 

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

11 years ago

It must not be a big enough or  widespread problem to prompt urgency by AT&T. Google it, not easy to find the threads dealing with this issue. You have to have just the right search phrase to hit upon the forums where it is being discussed. I have to agree with you GR8LAKES, My family is pondering just paying the ETF's and going to another carrier. Our account is a "plus" account and we are always being told by AT&T how valued we are as customers but I have a major issue where the phone can't do the most basic of tasks, allow calls and sms to arrive. I don't feel valued at all!  If our family leaves, they will lose three customers all at once.

Explorer

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

In light of the fact that AT&T won't acknowledge any problems or take responsibility for buggy updates, I think people need to:

1.) send an email to "tips@consumerist.com" and let them know about your experience here and with AT&T support.

2.) contact the Better Business Bureau online and give them your experience.

3.) Use Twitter and Facebook to promote your experience. If AT&T should actually help you, let people know that also.

4.) Word of mouth. Let people know about your wonderful experience on this forum and AT&T in general. Don't use f-bombs.

5.) Write to Leo Laporte at TWIT or Dan Benjamin at 5by5 or anyone else running podcasts. Let them know!!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.