The Samsung Galaxy S24
j5k's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, August 10th, 2012 12:15 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

You dont have to do any of those. Please look at my solution above. There is also a video link.

Explorer

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

Update. I went to a device service support location and got my SIM replaced. The issue has not reoccured since. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks jan_raghavan for your solution!  I was just on the phone with the retention departmart at ATT, and stumbled on this post.  Both my wife and I have been having the exact same problem.  And after adding a new APN her phone works perfectly.  

For those who are not tecnhically savy, it's an easy solution.  Check out the youtube video and give it a try.  And call ATT and tell them to find a solution to the problem, it's technically a work around but I can't complain too much since the calls are working now.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Sorry, I spoke too soon. After looking at my wife's phone about 10 minutes later the APN that I created was gone. As a result I tried the solution posed by contactparag, and I am hoping that works.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Wanted to let you all know I was in a St. Louis corporate store today and a rep told me that att is aware of this problem.  He told me an email went out last week to stop replacing SIM cards and phones because, as we all know, that won't fix it.  No eta on a fix though.  He did say it was limited to the St. Louis area, but I thought I had read people outside this market had this issue on here or another forum.  He confirmed that the only fix right now is to disable lte as others on here have discovered.  I've been following this forum for a while, trying to fix my wifes phone.  Thought I'd pass this nugget along....

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Hi,

Did you restart your phone, it yes you need to create it again. Also, once you create it, you need to save it and then press home. Somehow, I dont have problems anymore after this fix. Anyways, good luck.

Explorer

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

Update. Replacing the SIM did not fix the issue (as also previously mentioned by some people). The support rep thinks it's likely a problem with my phone and gave me a replacement. I will see if this is the case. 

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

I finally got a call from AT&T and they gave me a trend number.  She mentioned that AT&T is aware of a problem with the phones not waking up when on LTE network and they are working on a fix.  She mentioned the problem was that something is causing the phones not to switch from LTE (data) to voice, therefore, the missed calls.  She said this can happen with outgoing calls, that is why some people hear nothing when trying to make a call (the phone is stuck in LTE mode).  As a temporary work around, she suggested I add an APN that forced the phone to connect to 3G/4G or turn off data when connected to WIFI and turn it back on when I leave the house.  I honestly hope that she is telling the truth, and AT&T is definitely working on a fix, but, I am taking this information with a grain of salt.  

As an update, about a week or so ago, the issue was getting so bad, I would have to toggle the network about three or four times a day to get my phone to accept calls.  I finally turned off WIFI and have not had an issue since.  Of course, I am using up data on my data plan, so, this is not a desired fix.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

Hey all, 

We are researching this but I have marked jan_raghavan's suggestion as an Accepted Solution for the time being because it's worked for a couple people. 

I have to note that this is NOT an AT&T solution and it will limit your capabilities on the device because you won't be on 4G but since it's helped a few of you, I want to make sure it's visible. 

Thanks jan_raghavan, for posting. 🙂

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

I just tested out  jan_raghavan's fix and can confirm that it works.

I did 30 calls to my S3 prior to fix and 9 of them vanished as usual.

After disabling LTE, I made another 30 calls and all of them went through fine!! Also, I noticed that the caller had to wait much less for the call to connect..

It sucks that I dont have LTE , but at least my phone does what it is primarily meant to do. Thanks you jan_raghavan!!!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.