Posted Aug 9, 2012
5:15:14 PM
View profile
Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 17, 2013 5:51:42 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by jamileh on Feb 5, 2013 at 9:33:18 AM

Guys,

I got this issue fixed. You dont have to remove the battery or even restart your phone for that matter. This problem occurs mainly because of 4G LTE. I dont know if its the phone or the service. So, I have found an alternative.

What you need to do is add a new APN and run your device on 3G so that you can still get calls and browse until att or samsung fixes this issue. You can either use 4G toggle which you can download from google play to toggle between 3g and 4g. Or you can add as I have said above the new APN. Please go to Settings -> More settings -> Mobile Networks ->Access point names-> (+ new APN) . Give the Name of your choice but the APN should be defined as wap.cingular and finally save it. Change the existing apn to your newly created apn. Go to you home menu and you will see the 4G is used insted 4G LTE. You can even check your speed by using speed test.

Actually now I even have fewer dropped calls and I get the calls as soon as they call it. 

Please watch the below url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TqXFd5aJcuY or read this link : http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-iii/243505-jelly-bean-4-1-1-phone-calls-bug.html

<CM EDIT:

We are researching this but I have marked jan_raghavan's suggestion as an Accepted Solution for the time being because it's worked for a couple people. 

I have to note that this is NOT an AT&T solution and it will limit your capabilities on the device because you won't be on 4G but since it's helped a few of you, I want to make sure it's visible.>

498 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(498)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2013 1:01:27 PM
(0)
Teacher

You dont have to do any of those. Please look at my solution above. There is also a video link.

You dont have to do any of those. Please look at my solution above. There is also a video link.

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

61 of 499 (10,159 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2013 6:27:22 AM
(0)
Explorer

Update. I went to a device service support location and got my SIM replaced. The issue has not reoccured since. 

Update. I went to a device service support location and got my SIM replaced. The issue has not reoccured since. 

62 of 499 (10,122 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2013 5:07:34 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks jan_raghavan for your solution!  I was just on the phone with the retention departmart at ATT, and stumbled on this post.  Both my wife and I have been having the exact same problem.  And after adding a new APN her phone works perfectly.  

For those who are not tecnhically savy, it's an easy solution.  Check out the youtube video and give it a try.  And call ATT and tell them to find a solution to the problem, it's technically a work around but I can't complain too much since the calls are working now.

Thanks jan_raghavan for your solution!  I was just on the phone with the retention departmart at ATT, and stumbled on this post.  Both my wife and I have been having the exact same problem.  And after adding a new APN her phone works perfectly.  

For those who are not tecnhically savy, it's an easy solution.  Check out the youtube video and give it a try.  And call ATT and tell them to find a solution to the problem, it's technically a work around but I can't complain too much since the calls are working now.

63 of 499 (10,041 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2013 5:34:51 PM
(0)
Tutor
Sorry, I spoke too soon. After looking at my wife's phone about 10 minutes later the APN that I created was gone. As a result I tried the solution posed by contactparag, and I am hoping that works.
Sorry, I spoke too soon. After looking at my wife's phone about 10 minutes later the APN that I created was gone. As a result I tried the solution posed by contactparag, and I am hoping that works.

64 of 499 (10,034 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2013 8:08:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

Wanted to let you all know I was in a St. Louis corporate store today and a rep told me that att is aware of this problem.  He told me an email went out last week to stop replacing SIM cards and phones because, as we all know, that won't fix it.  No eta on a fix though.  He did say it was limited to the St. Louis area, but I thought I had read people outside this market had this issue on here or another forum.  He confirmed that the only fix right now is to disable lte as others on here have discovered.  I've been following this forum for a while, trying to fix my wifes phone.  Thought I'd pass this nugget along....

Wanted to let you all know I was in a St. Louis corporate store today and a rep told me that att is aware of this problem.  He told me an email went out last week to stop replacing SIM cards and phones because, as we all know, that won't fix it.  No eta on a fix though.  He did say it was limited to the St. Louis area, but I thought I had read people outside this market had this issue on here or another forum.  He confirmed that the only fix right now is to disable lte as others on here have discovered.  I've been following this forum for a while, trying to fix my wifes phone.  Thought I'd pass this nugget along....

65 of 499 (10,003 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2013 8:22:26 AM
(0)
Teacher

Hi,

Did you restart your phone, it yes you need to create it again. Also, once you create it, you need to save it and then press home. Somehow, I dont have problems anymore after this fix. Anyways, good luck.

Hi,

Did you restart your phone, it yes you need to create it again. Also, once you create it, you need to save it and then press home. Somehow, I dont have problems anymore after this fix. Anyways, good luck.

66 of 499 (9,963 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2013 5:19:34 AM
(0)
Explorer

Update. Replacing the SIM did not fix the issue (as also previously mentioned by some people). The support rep thinks it's likely a problem with my phone and gave me a replacement. I will see if this is the case. 

Update. Replacing the SIM did not fix the issue (as also previously mentioned by some people). The support rep thinks it's likely a problem with my phone and gave me a replacement. I will see if this is the case. 

67 of 499 (9,810 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2013 8:48:16 AM
(0)
Teacher

I finally got a call from AT&T and they gave me a trend number.  She mentioned that AT&T is aware of a problem with the phones not waking up when on LTE network and they are working on a fix.  She mentioned the problem was that something is causing the phones not to switch from LTE (data) to voice, therefore, the missed calls.  She said this can happen with outgoing calls, that is why some people hear nothing when trying to make a call (the phone is stuck in LTE mode).  As a temporary work around, she suggested I add an APN that forced the phone to connect to 3G/4G or turn off data when connected to WIFI and turn it back on when I leave the house.  I honestly hope that she is telling the truth, and AT&T is definitely working on a fix, but, I am taking this information with a grain of salt.  

As an update, about a week or so ago, the issue was getting so bad, I would have to toggle the network about three or four times a day to get my phone to accept calls.  I finally turned off WIFI and have not had an issue since.  Of course, I am using up data on my data plan, so, this is not a desired fix.

I finally got a call from AT&T and they gave me a trend number.  She mentioned that AT&T is aware of a problem with the phones not waking up when on LTE network and they are working on a fix.  She mentioned the problem was that something is causing the phones not to switch from LTE (data) to voice, therefore, the missed calls.  She said this can happen with outgoing calls, that is why some people hear nothing when trying to make a call (the phone is stuck in LTE mode).  As a temporary work around, she suggested I add an APN that forced the phone to connect to 3G/4G or turn off data when connected to WIFI and turn it back on when I leave the house.  I honestly hope that she is telling the truth, and AT&T is definitely working on a fix, but, I am taking this information with a grain of salt.  

As an update, about a week or so ago, the issue was getting so bad, I would have to toggle the network about three or four times a day to get my phone to accept calls.  I finally turned off WIFI and have not had an issue since.  Of course, I am using up data on my data plan, so, this is not a desired fix.

68 of 499 (9,793 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2013 9:16:18 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager
Edited by jamileh on Jan 23, 2013 at 9:57:13 AM

Hey all, 

We are researching this but I have marked jan_raghavan's suggestion as an Accepted Solution for the time being because it's worked for a couple people. 

I have to note that this is NOT an AT&T solution and it will limit your capabilities on the device because you won't be on 4G but since it's helped a few of you, I want to make sure it's visible. 

Thanks jan_raghavan, for posting. :smileyhappy:

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Hey all, 

I have to note that this is NOT an AT&T solution and it will limit your capabilities on the device because you won't be on 4G but since it's helped a few of you, I want to make sure it's visible. 

Thanks jan_raghavan, for posting. :smileyhappy:

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
69 of 499 (9,789 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2013 11:32:32 AM
(0)
Tutor

I just tested out  jan_raghavan's fix and can confirm that it works.

I did 30 calls to my S3 prior to fix and 9 of them vanished as usual.

After disabling LTE, I made another 30 calls and all of them went through fine!! Also, I noticed that the caller had to wait much less for the call to connect..

It sucks that I dont have LTE , but at least my phone does what it is primarily meant to do. Thanks you jan_raghavan!!!!

I just tested out  jan_raghavan's fix and can confirm that it works.

I did 30 calls to my S3 prior to fix and 9 of them vanished as usual.

After disabling LTE, I made another 30 calls and all of them went through fine!! Also, I noticed that the caller had to wait much less for the call to connect..

It sucks that I dont have LTE , but at least my phone does what it is primarily meant to do. Thanks you jan_raghavan!!!!

70 of 499 (9,764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2013 3:26:32 PM
(0)
Voyager

For what it is worth, I've been having this same issue since the update to jelly bean and I am no where near St. Louis. For those of you that have added another APN, are you now receiving phone calls when connected to wi-fi?  I only had the problem when my wi-fi was connected.  I didn't receive texts or email notifications either.  Anyone else have that issue? 

For what it is worth, I've been having this same issue since the update to jelly bean and I am no where near St. Louis. For those of you that have added another APN, are you now receiving phone calls when connected to wi-fi?  I only had the problem when my wi-fi was connected.  I didn't receive texts or email notifications either.  Anyone else have that issue? 

71 of 499 (9,733 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2013 9:37:15 AM
(0)
Contributor

I was on the conference call with AT&T Wireless Support level 2 and Samsung Tech Support Level 3 and as always AT&T blamed Samsungs hardware and Samsung Blamed AT&T LTE software, AT&T denied they had any information that there is a problem, the proble is this:

IF WIFI IS ENABLED ALL CALLS GO DIRECTLY TO VOICE MAIL, IF WIFI IS TURMED OFF CALLS ARE RECEIVED NORMALLY A WORK AROUND IS AFTER RECEIVE A CALL IF CAN GET ONE IS AFTER ARE DONE WITH THE CALL TURN ON AIRPLANE MODE FOR 60 SECONDS THEN TURN IT OFF WITH WIFI ENABLED IT WILL WORK YOU NEED TO DO THIS AFTER EACH CALL SO OBVIOUSLY THE PROBLEM IS WITH AT&T NOT THE PHONE

AT&T SUPPORT ALSO DOES NOT READ THESE FORUMS AND COULD NOT CARE LESS,, THESE FORUMS ARE MADE TO HAVE THINK AT&T CARES

THE SOLUTION THEY OFFERED ME IS TO CALL ASSURANE AND PAY $199 FOR A NEW PHONE OR WIFI OFF AND GET AN UNLIMITED DATA PLAN AT MY EXPENSE

AT&T SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I was on the conference call with AT&T Wireless Support level 2 and Samsung Tech Support Level 3 and as always AT&T blamed Samsungs hardware and Samsung Blamed AT&T LTE software, AT&T denied they had any information that there is a problem, the proble is this:

IF WIFI IS ENABLED ALL CALLS GO DIRECTLY TO VOICE MAIL, IF WIFI IS TURMED OFF CALLS ARE RECEIVED NORMALLY A WORK AROUND IS AFTER RECEIVE A CALL IF CAN GET ONE IS AFTER ARE DONE WITH THE CALL TURN ON AIRPLANE MODE FOR 60 SECONDS THEN TURN IT OFF WITH WIFI ENABLED IT WILL WORK YOU NEED TO DO THIS AFTER EACH CALL SO OBVIOUSLY THE PROBLEM IS WITH AT&T NOT THE PHONE

AT&T SUPPORT ALSO DOES NOT READ THESE FORUMS AND COULD NOT CARE LESS,, THESE FORUMS ARE MADE TO HAVE THINK AT&T CARES

THE SOLUTION THEY OFFERED ME IS TO CALL ASSURANE AND PAY $199 FOR A NEW PHONE OR WIFI OFF AND GET AN UNLIMITED DATA PLAN AT MY EXPENSE

72 of 499 (9,653 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2013 4:34:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

I also am having the same. Amongst these issues, as i dial out it beeps and the message "Call ended" appears. Then when I return to dial out again a prompt on my phone pops up stating "Emergancy calls only" I have addressed these problems with AT&T, I had the sim card repalced, reset the phon, booted and yet it still continues. I know others that have the GS3 belonging to other carriers, ie: Sprint and so on with out these problems.This is most definatly a network issue with AT&T., and for the money I pay, I would like it solved or its jump ship.

I also am having the same. Amongst these issues, as i dial out it beeps and the message "Call ended" appears. Then when I return to dial out again a prompt on my phone pops up stating "Emergancy calls only" I have addressed these problems with AT&T, I had the sim card repalced, reset the phon, booted and yet it still continues. I know others that have the GS3 belonging to other carriers, ie: Sprint and so on with out these problems.This is most definatly a network issue with AT&T., and for the money I pay, I would like it solved or its jump ship.

73 of 499 (9,613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2013 4:52:37 AM
(0)
Contributor

This is an update to my posting last night I went into the AT&T Warranty Exchange office today in Las Vegas and was lucky that the store manager was the one that waited on me. As soon as I told her what was happening she knew about the problem and told me she had a bunch of customers that already came in. She said AT&T was aware of the problem and it is with their network software and they are working on it and that there is nothing wrong with the phones. I told her about the idts from AT&T I spoke to last night. Anyway the manager from the Warrenty exchange store is welll versed and she was nice and apoligized. But you all can be assured that AT&T is working on the problem and is aware of it.

n5374f wrote:

This is an update to my posting last night I went into the AT&T Warranty Exchange office today in Las Vegas and was lucky that the store manager was the one that waited on me. As soon as I told her what was happening she knew about the problem and told me she had a bunch of customers that already came in. She said AT&T was aware of the problem and it is with their network software and they are working on it and that there is nothing wrong with the phones. I told her about the idts from AT&T I spoke to last night. Anyway the manager from the Warrenty exchange store is welll versed and she was nice and apoligized. But you all can be assured that AT&T is working on the problem and is aware of it.

n5374f wrote:

74 of 499 (9,566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2013 7:39:47 AM
(0)
Voyager

I am in the Cleveland Area and we have AT&T LTE network active in our area. The problem didn't seem to exist when I first got my Galaxy S3 a couple of weeks ago. I upgraded to the 4.1.1 OS version about a week after I got the phone but didn’t notice any problems immediately after the upgrade. In the recent days, I have notice that it takes 5-7 seconds (longer than expected) to connect outgoing calls, usually when calling my voicemail. Half of the time these outbound calls would fail. This is what sparked my interest to test with problem.  My wife got the iPhone 5 at the same time I upgrade to the Galaxy. So these are my findings:

• I attempted to call my voicemail 5 out of 10 times the call failed to connect/never connected with a "Call Ended".
  • Incoming calls either go right to voicemail or more times than not, go right to a fast beep (not a busy signal, sounding like the number is out of order).
  • If a incoming call was going to successfully, the caller (from land line and cellphone) would ring about 2-4 times before my phone would start to ring
  • I attempted to call the cellphone with a land line and an automated voice message responded with an "unable to complete your call
  • I am able to repeat this issue with a 50% rate doing all test cases, incoming and outgoing, using the land line and cellphones.
  • These same tests were performed with my wife's iPhone 5 as a control, using the same network, same towers, same location, except it was not a galaxy S3. I was unable to get the problem to occur with the iPhone 5. 10 out of 10 try’s with no problems (and of course she hasn't experience any problems like I have prior to these tests)
  • No problems with data, SMS, browsing, WIFI.
  • I turned of WIFI and performed the same tests, same failure results
  • I turned of Mobile Data and performed the same test, same failure results

Ok. Now I switched the Galaxy S3's APN to use 3G/4G HSPA wap.cingular (non-LTE) Access points. The problem no longer exists as it did with LTE APN in use. All of the test cases I performed to reproduce the problem with LTE APN in used didn't fail when I was pointing to the Non-LTE APN.

• When the call is made to the Galaxy S3 the phone rings within one second.
  • When calling out the phone begins ring with
  • I do experience connectivity issues now.  The photo periodically disconnects completely (only Emergency calls is allowed) from the network for about 30 seconds each time and then reconnects. I don’t know why this happens and it may be because I didn’t setup something up correctly.
  • The phone behaves like a phone again (minus the disconnect-reconnect issue now)

I have seen reports that iPhone 5 users experience these symptoms a couple of month ago.  However, Apple is very proactive and diligent with protecting their brand (hence they control iOS phone updates and not the carrier).  I wouldn’t be surprised if one of their updates provided software workaround for this LTE challenge that Samsung users have been experiencing as well.  

I notice that as soon as I call my Wife’s iPhone 5, the network indicator quickly switches from “LTE” to “4G” (HSPA).  So the iPhone’s software/hardware is actively and quickly switch off the LTE to handle the call within the second it is made.

In conclusion, I would put the onus on AT&T and Samsung equally.  If my wife’s iPhone uses the same network technology as my Galaxy does then Apple is going to bat for her.  Samsung brand is suffering since most people will blame the phone if their spouse’s phone is working find but mine isn’t. 

I am inside my 30 day window and will be returning the Galaxy S3 since I know down the road Samsung and ATT are unable to get along to resolve these types of problems quickly.

I am in the Cleveland Area and we have AT&T LTE network active in our area. The problem didn't seem to exist when I first got my Galaxy S3 a couple of weeks ago. I upgraded to the 4.1.1 OS version about a week after I got the phone but didn’t notice any problems immediately after the upgrade. In the recent days, I have notice that it takes 5-7 seconds (longer than expected) to connect outgoing calls, usually when calling my voicemail. Half of the time these outbound calls would fail. This is what sparked my interest to test with problem.  My wife got the iPhone 5 at the same time I upgrade to the Galaxy. So these are my findings:

• I attempted to call my voicemail 5 out of 10 times the call failed to connect/never connected with a "Call Ended".
  • Incoming calls either go right to voicemail or more times than not, go right to a fast beep (not a busy signal, sounding like the number is out of order).
  • If a incoming call was going to successfully, the caller (from land line and cellphone) would ring about 2-4 times before my phone would start to ring
  • I attempted to call the cellphone with a land line and an automated voice message responded with an "unable to complete your call
  • I am able to repeat this issue with a 50% rate doing all test cases, incoming and outgoing, using the land line and cellphones.
  • These same tests were performed with my wife's iPhone 5 as a control, using the same network, same towers, same location, except it was not a galaxy S3. I was unable to get the problem to occur with the iPhone 5. 10 out of 10 try’s with no problems (and of course she hasn't experience any problems like I have prior to these tests)
  • No problems with data, SMS, browsing, WIFI.
  • I turned of WIFI and performed the same tests, same failure results
  • I turned of Mobile Data and performed the same test, same failure results

Ok. Now I switched the Galaxy S3's APN to use 3G/4G HSPA wap.cingular (non-LTE) Access points. The problem no longer exists as it did with LTE APN in use. All of the test cases I performed to reproduce the problem with LTE APN in used didn't fail when I was pointing to the Non-LTE APN.

• When the call is made to the Galaxy S3 the phone rings within one second.
  • When calling out the phone begins ring with
  • I do experience connectivity issues now.  The photo periodically disconnects completely (only Emergency calls is allowed) from the network for about 30 seconds each time and then reconnects. I don’t know why this happens and it may be because I didn’t setup something up correctly.
  • The phone behaves like a phone again (minus the disconnect-reconnect issue now)

I have seen reports that iPhone 5 users experience these symptoms a couple of month ago.  However, Apple is very proactive and diligent with protecting their brand (hence they control iOS phone updates and not the carrier).  I wouldn’t be surprised if one of their updates provided software workaround for this LTE challenge that Samsung users have been experiencing as well.  

I notice that as soon as I call my Wife’s iPhone 5, the network indicator quickly switches from “LTE” to “4G” (HSPA).  So the iPhone’s software/hardware is actively and quickly switch off the LTE to handle the call within the second it is made.

In conclusion, I would put the onus on AT&T and Samsung equally.  If my wife’s iPhone uses the same network technology as my Galaxy does then Apple is going to bat for her.  Samsung brand is suffering since most people will blame the phone if their spouse’s phone is working find but mine isn’t. 

I am inside my 30 day window and will be returning the Galaxy S3 since I know down the road Samsung and ATT are unable to get along to resolve these types of problems quickly.

75 of 499 (9,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2013 9:08:33 AM
(0)
Teacher

In referencing the post above:

"I do experience connectivity issues now.  The photo periodically disconnects completely (only Emergency calls is allowed) from the network for about 30 seconds each time and then reconnects. I don’t know why this happens and it may be because I didn’t setup something up correctly."

I too have the same issue with my added APN.  I would be surfing the internet on my phone, then get network error.  I would notice the 4G would disappear and be replaced with the "no symbol".  About 10 seconds later, it would disappear and 4G would again appear.  I did not see anybody else mention this issue, so I assumed I was the only one having it.

Any ideas?

In referencing the post above:

"I do experience connectivity issues now.  The photo periodically disconnects completely (only Emergency calls is allowed) from the network for about 30 seconds each time and then reconnects. I don’t know why this happens and it may be because I didn’t setup something up correctly."

I too have the same issue with my added APN.  I would be surfing the internet on my phone, then get network error.  I would notice the 4G would disappear and be replaced with the "no symbol".  About 10 seconds later, it would disappear and 4G would again appear.  I did not see anybody else mention this issue, so I assumed I was the only one having it.

Any ideas?

76 of 499 (9,517 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2013 1:20:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi all,

Similar to a lot of previous posts, I recently bought the Gs3 and didn't initially have any issues.  Then in the last two weeks, things have gone down hill.  To cut to the chase, last night I did the work around to use the wap.cingular setting and avoid LTE.  It seemed to work, but immediately started noticing the loss of connectivity as described by  your post.  It immediately seemed not worth the trouble and have since moved back to the default. 

Many of the others have noticed that they receive calls and texts w/o any trouble outside of the WIFI setting.  I've decided to experiment with that and have deactivated it both when I'm at home and at work.  So far, I've received calls/texts without any trouble.  However, I have a limited data plan, so I'm hoping for a real fix soon!

BTW, my wife has a galaxy express and my daughter has a galaxy rugby pro 2 and they're both experiencing the same issues as we are!

Hi all,

Similar to a lot of previous posts, I recently bought the Gs3 and didn't initially have any issues.  Then in the last two weeks, things have gone down hill.  To cut to the chase, last night I did the work around to use the wap.cingular setting and avoid LTE.  It seemed to work, but immediately started noticing the loss of connectivity as described by  your post.  It immediately seemed not worth the trouble and have since moved back to the default. 

Many of the others have noticed that they receive calls and texts w/o any trouble outside of the WIFI setting.  I've decided to experiment with that and have deactivated it both when I'm at home and at work.  So far, I've received calls/texts without any trouble.  However, I have a limited data plan, so I'm hoping for a real fix soon!

BTW, my wife has a galaxy express and my daughter has a galaxy rugby pro 2 and they're both experiencing the same issues as we are!

77 of 499 (9,488 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2013 3:05:21 PM
(0)
Explorer

I am not sure why the status of the issue is now marked as 'solved'. If we have to switch to 3G (i.e. disable LTE) in order to receive phone calls, I personally wouldn't call that a real solution. Wouldn't you guys agree?

I am not sure why the status of the issue is now marked as 'solved'. If we have to switch to 3G (i.e. disable LTE) in order to receive phone calls, I personally wouldn't call that a real solution. Wouldn't you guys agree?

78 of 499 (9,469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2013 4:01:53 PM
(0)
Voyager
I called at&t today to ask if there is any ETA for a fix and the operator had no clue what I was talking about. So, that said, I'm guessing the problem hasn't trickled down to the "techs" at their call centers. Has anyone been able to find out when, and if, at&t might have a fix?
I called at&t today to ask if there is any ETA for a fix and the operator had no clue what I was talking about. So, that said, I'm guessing the problem hasn't trickled down to the "techs" at their call centers. Has anyone been able to find out when, and if, at&t might have a fix?

79 of 499 (9,457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2013 5:58:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

hylander0 wrote:

The return/exchange period is 14 days, not 30.

hylander0 wrote:

The return/exchange period is 14 days, not 30.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

80 of 499 (9,441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2013 10:48:25 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have the same issues as everbody else. Replacing the SIM card and phone does not help. I have been experimenting with disabling WIFI and Mobile Data and only turning them on when needed ( WIFI if at home or WIFI spot ( a bar usually) or turn on Mobile Data if no WIFI. Turning on WIFI is a simple key stroke on the GS3. Previously, I was missing 20-25% of the calls. It has been one week since I started the experiment and have not missed a call. I just wish ATT would just officially come out and acknowledge there is and issue and they are working on it.

I have the same issues as everbody else. Replacing the SIM card and phone does not help. I have been experimenting with disabling WIFI and Mobile Data and only turning them on when needed ( WIFI if at home or WIFI spot ( a bar usually) or turn on Mobile Data if no WIFI. Turning on WIFI is a simple key stroke on the GS3. Previously, I was missing 20-25% of the calls. It has been one week since I started the experiment and have not missed a call. I just wish ATT would just officially come out and acknowledge there is and issue and they are working on it.

81 of 499 (9,343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2013 6:11:29 PM
(0)
Contributor

Anyone in the New Jersey area experiencing this too? Because, I am. My SGS3 will barely make phone calls at all.

It connects to 4g with all bars and then within 10 secs the signal drops to 1 bar then no 4g, then it drops to G and

then E after that. Can't connect to the internet or anything.

AT&T, FIX this! You have loyal customers here who are very VERY ANGRY!

Anyone in the New Jersey area experiencing this too? Because, I am. My SGS3 will barely make phone calls at all.

It connects to 4g with all bars and then within 10 secs the signal drops to 1 bar then no 4g, then it drops to G and

then E after that. Can't connect to the internet or anything.

AT&T, FIX this! You have loyal customers here who are very VERY ANGRY!

82 of 499 (9,295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2013 5:37:38 PM
(0)
Voyager
Per 21stNow's comment:
"The return/exchange period is 14 days, not 30."

I purchased my phone from best buy so they accept returns up to 30 days. You are correct if I purchased the phone from AT&T. The only honor a 2 week return policy.
Per 21stNow's comment:
"The return/exchange period is 14 days, not 30."

I purchased my phone from best buy so they accept returns up to 30 days. You are correct if I purchased the phone from AT&T. The only honor a 2 week return policy.

83 of 499 (9,213 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2013 8:28:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

Did anyone hear back from ATT yet on when its gonna be fixed?

Did anyone hear back from ATT yet on when its gonna be fixed?

84 of 499 (9,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2013 11:16:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

n5374f wrote:

Hi n5374f,

This is exactly what's been happening to my Galaxy S3! It's so annoying that I had to turn ON Wifi only when I NEED it just so I can be sure to receive any incoming calls or sms. I don't think it's Samsung's fault, for I have also got a brand new replacement from the device support center due to this ongoing malfunction and the new phone is also having this problem. :smileysad:

n5374f wrote:

Hi n5374f,

This is exactly what's been happening to my Galaxy S3! It's so annoying that I had to turn ON Wifi only when I NEED it just so I can be sure to receive any incoming calls or sms. I don't think it's Samsung's fault, for I have also got a brand new replacement from the device support center due to this ongoing malfunction and the new phone is also having this problem. :smileysad:

85 of 499 (9,045 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2013 12:45:34 PM
(0)
Scholar

Hi guys. 

i am sadden by the fact that ATT are not "fully" aware of it. 

i am almost certain that we will not get a fix from them any time soon. 

untill this will blow over and be posted on sites like engadget etc 

then wit the publicity they will be forced to take action. 

i have done some deep testing on this matter. 

here are my findings and also a solution THAT WILL GET YOU WITH WIFI ON WITH NO ISSUES.

please read carefully. 

research done (before fix) [fix will posted at the end]

testing calls information technical overview: 

wifi on - no call test: 
Signal strengh: -73dbm 20asu
mobile network type: LTE:14

wifi on - testing call: 
Signal strengh: -91dbm 15asu
mobile network type: umts:3

CALL RECEIVED SUCCESSFULLY. 

wifi OFF, mobile data on - no call test: 

wifi OFF, mobile data on - testing call: 
Signal strengh: -85dbm 15asu
mobile network type: UMTS:3

AVAILABLE ON OTHER LINE BUT DOES NOT RING !!

*** important to mention, i was on LTE and as soon as i tried calling my phone it went to 4G, LTE:14 changed to UMTS:3 but the phone did not ring. as soon as i hung up the phone on the phone i was calling from the phone that did not ring went back form 4G to LTE

conclution: 
i have isolated the issue too occur only if you are on lte network.

You're phone will not ring if you are on lte network when a call is made to you're phone.

reason, phone/network fail to seperate the LTE from 4g aka DATA vs voice.

Again, not all suffer from this.

In the meanwhile you can bandaid this issue by temporarily disable lte until a fix is found.

Here is how:
1) With phone on, take off back cover and press your SIM card so it releases from the spring. It won't come all the way out as it's blocked by the battery. This seems fine - I didn't bother trying to force it out as I didn't want to break anything...
2) Once you see the message that the SIM card is removed, go to the dialer and dial *#2263#
3) You should see a menu with band selections. The current setting is "Automatic". If you switch to "GSM All", you will be EDGE (2G). If you switch to "WCDMA All", you will be on HSPA+ (3G, though AT&T and others call it 4G).
4) Press the SIM card back into place until it clicks. For whatever reason the phone will not recognize it until you reboot. Upon reboot you should see your new setting in effect

that way you can use WIFI and still get calls. 

hopefully "someone" will get this issue fixed. 

this is driving me nuts :smileyhappy: 

remember, that code is programming code, so be carefull. 

Hi guys. 

i am sadden by the fact that ATT are not "fully" aware of it. 

i am almost certain that we will not get a fix from them any time soon. 

untill this will blow over and be posted on sites like engadget etc 

then wit the publicity they will be forced to take action. 

i have done some deep testing on this matter. 

here are my findings and also a solution THAT WILL GET YOU WITH WIFI ON WITH NO ISSUES.

please read carefully. 

research done (before fix) [fix will posted at the end]

testing calls information technical overview: 

wifi on - no call test: 

wifi on - testing call: 
Signal strengh: -91dbm 15asu
mobile network type: umts:3

CALL RECEIVED SUCCESSFULLY. 

wifi OFF, mobile data on - no call test: 

wifi OFF, mobile data on - testing call: 
Signal strengh: -85dbm 15asu
mobile network type: UMTS:3

AVAILABLE ON OTHER LINE BUT DOES NOT RING !!

*** important to mention, i was on LTE and as soon as i tried calling my phone it went to 4G, LTE:14 changed to UMTS:3 but the phone did not ring. as soon as i hung up the phone on the phone i was calling from the phone that did not ring went back form 4G to LTE

conclution: 
i have isolated the issue too occur only if you are on lte network.

You're phone will not ring if you are on lte network when a call is made to you're phone.

reason, phone/network fail to seperate the LTE from 4g aka DATA vs voice.

Again, not all suffer from this.

In the meanwhile you can bandaid this issue by temporarily disable lte until a fix is found.

Here is how:
1) With phone on, take off back cover and press your SIM card so it releases from the spring. It won't come all the way out as it's blocked by the battery. This seems fine - I didn't bother trying to force it out as I didn't want to break anything...
2) Once you see the message that the SIM card is removed, go to the dialer and dial *#2263#
3) You should see a menu with band selections. The current setting is "Automatic". If you switch to "GSM All", you will be EDGE (2G). If you switch to "WCDMA All", you will be on HSPA+ (3G, though AT&T and others call it 4G).
4) Press the SIM card back into place until it clicks. For whatever reason the phone will not recognize it until you reboot. Upon reboot you should see your new setting in effect

that way you can use WIFI and still get calls. 

hopefully "someone" will get this issue fixed. 

this is driving me nuts :smileyhappy: 

remember, that code is programming code, so be carefull. 

86 of 499 (8,989 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2013 7:14:46 PM
(0)
Explorer
I am also surprised that customer service including level 2 support said that they are not aware of the issue, which has been discussed actively in an AT&T own forum here. I did spend time explaining the issue and gave them my opinion that the LTE network seems to be the culprit. Level 2 support didn't seem to be any more knowledgeable than Level 1 support. Instead they were adamant that the network is perfect and said that the problem must lie with either Android or Samsung. How likely is it when I still encounter the issue even with a replacement phone?
I am also surprised that customer service including level 2 support said that they are not aware of the issue, which has been discussed actively in an AT&T own forum here. I did spend time explaining the issue and gave them my opinion that the LTE network seems to be the culprit. Level 2 support didn't seem to be any more knowledgeable than Level 1 support. Instead they were adamant that the network is perfect and said that the problem must lie with either Android or Samsung. How likely is it when I still encounter the issue even with a replacement phone?

87 of 499 (8,940 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2013 7:23:53 PM
(0)
Explorer
And to the forum moderator, please remove 'solved' status from this topic. This issue is clearly not resolved.
And to the forum moderator, please remove 'solved' status from this topic. This issue is clearly not resolved.

88 of 499 (8,936 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2013 11:18:34 AM
(0)
Explorer

Got my GS3 in early December and upgraded to JB 4.1 shortly after. Started having the same issue described by everyone here immediately. Last week had my SIM changed and that has not helped. The phone and text issues are both happening with me. Incoming calls may not even hit voicemail, I have been told that it sometimes sounds like a busy signal which is not good when one is expecting potentially important phone calls. I went to a newly opened Device Support Center here in Columbus, OH today and they told me immediately that there is an issue with ALL phones running 4G/LTE on the ATT network that run JB 4.1. 

She told me that there is a patch being worked on and apparently they have also found that JB 4.2 works with 4G/LTE just fine. She could not tell me when there is an expected fix. 

My question to Jamileh (apparently the ATT Community Manager) is, if ATT knows that JB 4.2 would fix this issue, why has that not been rolled out to us yet? I do not anger easily but if I am waiting on someone to contact me about a job interview or if a family member is in trouble for some reason I do not want to have to wonder whether or not my phone is going to work as I have paid for it (and am paying monthly) to. If JB 4.2 works please roll that out. 

Got my GS3 in early December and upgraded to JB 4.1 shortly after. Started having the same issue described by everyone here immediately. Last week had my SIM changed and that has not helped. The phone and text issues are both happening with me. Incoming calls may not even hit voicemail, I have been told that it sometimes sounds like a busy signal which is not good when one is expecting potentially important phone calls. I went to a newly opened Device Support Center here in Columbus, OH today and they told me immediately that there is an issue with ALL phones running 4G/LTE on the ATT network that run JB 4.1. 

She told me that there is a patch being worked on and apparently they have also found that JB 4.2 works with 4G/LTE just fine. She could not tell me when there is an expected fix. 

My question to Jamileh (apparently the ATT Community Manager) is, if ATT knows that JB 4.2 would fix this issue, why has that not been rolled out to us yet? I do not anger easily but if I am waiting on someone to contact me about a job interview or if a family member is in trouble for some reason I do not want to have to wonder whether or not my phone is going to work as I have paid for it (and am paying monthly) to. If JB 4.2 works please roll that out. 

89 of 499 (8,866 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2013 12:21:31 PM
(0)
Contributor

This does not appear to be an AT&T only problem.  I have Sprint service and have the same problem.  I believe it is the operating system on the phone. 

This does not appear to be an AT&T only problem.  I have Sprint service and have the same problem.  I believe it is the operating system on the phone. 

90 of 499 (8,846 Views)