The Samsung Galaxy S24
j5k's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, August 10th, 2012 12:15 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Eventually, after a few device exchanges, I asked to speak with customer retention and told them I want to cancel my service because of the issues. After speaking with a supervisor they offered me any other $200 device for free if I re-signed a 2 year. Unfortunately the only other devices worth looking at are the LG Optimus and Note 2. The Note 2 suffers from the same issues as the GS3 and the reviews on the LG are not that good. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I actually ended up with that solution accidentally. How? I usually notice the issue happening when I am at home (which I am always connected to Wifi) or any place where my phone is hooked to a Wifi. I CAN sometimes receive calls even if the Wifi is ON but if the Wifi has been on for a while, I seem to have trouble receiving calls. But when I am NOT on Wifi, I do not seem to have any problem. This is just based on MY own observation and AT&T does not have any single clue why this is happening . They only said that Wifi shouldn't interfere with phone calls, and that's what I thought too. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

I just got off the phone with another case manager. She said she has seen a few cases talking about the issues we are having. She is going to escalate the case and  speak with their engineers and get back to me. Unfortuately with ATT's track record for software updates are really bad, so who knows how long it will take to fix

Explorer

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

I didn't expect to have to post to this forum again this soon. It took me a lot of time to sort out the battery drain issue and now I am having the lost signal issue. I am experiencing the same issue whereby my phone wouldn't ring and the call goes straight to the voicemail. This appears to be happening daily for the last few weeks. I have been using the phone since July and didn't experience this issue even after upgrading to Jelly Bean. I now think it has something to do with AT&T network, possibly their recent changes to the network? This is frustrating and quite disappointing as the phone becomes useless when this happens. I hope AT&T addresses this issue soon. This again reminds us how important the service reliability is and AT&T continues to prove that there's room for improvement after all these years.  

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Apparently the HTC One X also has this problem ...here is the thread  : http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/HTC-one-X-plus-stops-receiving-calls/td-p/3370861

Looks like  ATT's LTE may be the cause for dropped calls after all....

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

I've seen issues like this in the past with multiple carriers.  I've noticed that no one (that I can remember) posted his/her location.  Sometimes these issues are concentrated in one geographic area, so it may be helpful to post your location with your comment.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Guys,

I got this issue fixed. You dont have to remove the battery or even restart your phone for that matter. This problem occurs mainly because of 4G LTE. I dont know if its the phone or the service. So, I have found an alternative.

What you need to do is add a new APN and run your device on 3G so that you can still get calls and browse until att or samsung fixes this issue. You can either use 4G toggle which you can download from google play to toggle between 3g and 4g. Or you can add as I have said above the new APN. Please go to Settings -> More settings -> Mobile Networks ->Access point names-> (+ new APN) . Give the Name of your choice but the APN should be defined as wap.cingular and finally save it. Change the existing apn to your newly created apn. Go to you home menu and you will see the 4G is used insted 4G LTE. You can even check your speed by using speed test.

Actually now I even have fewer dropped calls and I get the calls as soon as they call it. 

Please watch the below url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TqXFd5aJcuY or read this link : http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-iii/243505-jelly-bean-4-1-1-phone-calls-bug.html

We are researching this but I have marked jan_raghavan's suggestion as an Accepted Solution for the time being because it's worked for a couple people. 

I have to note that this is NOT an AT&T solution and it will limit your capabilities on the device because you won't be on 4G but since it's helped a few of you, I want to make sure it's visible.>

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Jan is correct. I was in a corporate store (st.louis) today and there was an engineer in the store. He said they are very aware of the issue with any 4.1+ device experiencing the call and data issues. Something about how a 4.1+ device sends more than 130 bit signal to their LTE tower which is causing major issues. He said that he has bumped his GS3 down to 3G and is no longer experiencing any more issues. Unfortunately we have to loose LTE until they fix the issue or deal with horrible service.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks so much!!!!  This works great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Smiley Very Happy

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

FYI, I tried "contactparag's" solution on the 15th, have not noticed any missed calls and today is the 18th. Now my phone says I'm on 4G not 4G LTE, when they get this issue fixed how do I get back on 4G LTE? Thanks I was desparate!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.