The Samsung Galaxy S24
j5k's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, August 10th, 2012 12:15 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

I might mention I have had this problem with two Galaxy Note 2's that come with Jelly Bean and the issue existed before any updates.  The phone came out on Nov 9th on AT&T's network, and had problems out of the box.

Based on what some of my friends have said, I have disabled WIFI for the last two days, and have had no issues.  I will keep this thread updated.  Has anybody else tried this?  This is a horrible work around, even though I have the unlimited data plan, I will be throttled when I reach a certain data cap.  But, we will see.

If Samsung acknowledges there is an issue, why won't AT&T?  Are there any AT&T moderaters that care enough about their customers monitoring these forums?  When my contract is up, which unforunately is quite a ways away, I'm out of here.

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

@efrancosky wrote:

I believe the issue is with the update. I believe that something with the modem or how the phone switches from LTE to 4G is really hurting service. After the update I have suffered from major issues when trying to make outbound calls and receiving calls. When trying to dial out, after I hit talk it will immediately say call ended. Sometimes I have to try the call 3 times for it to work, sometimes I have to soft reset the phone. People have been texting me lately asking whats up with my phone. They either get a weird message "User Unavailable", a fast busy tone or it will not ring through. I have 2 friends try to call me a total of 8 times and were only able to get through 2 times. I am in an area where I have full bars of LTE coverage.

I dont think its a device issue as I am not on my 3rd GS3. I have traded out SIM cards, been disconnected and reconnected to their network. They cleared all of my data in there system and reset me. Ultimately I think something is very wrong with the software. I went into the local store and a girl that worked there said they have been doing a lot of GS3 and Note 2 warranty exchanges after the 4.1 update with users complaining about the same symptoms that I am describing. Hopefully we will get another update with a new modem and it will fix the issue.

We might be able to fix it by turning off the LTE, but in all honesty I want my LTE. I didnt sign a 2 year agreement for an LTE device not to be able to use it. 

AT&T customer retention said they will trade my phone out for any new phone they have, including the Note 2, but since the Note 2 suffers from the same issues it wont do me any good.

I think we need a direct line of communication with the higher ups on the software side. Motorola was good with that. Their forum moderators were able to take issues directly to the source and work on it.

I agree. AT&T should find a solution since we are paying for new LTE phone & locking on 2 years contract.

But LTE is the last thing in the world I would worry about as long as I receive calls & data.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

That's what I do with my galaxy s3 right now. I have to disable Wifi for my phone to start acting like a phone and receive calls. I don't have unlimited data so this temporary fix has bad consequence. 😞

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

I am having same issues with GS3 ( my second one) had problems with both latest and previous firmware. ATT basically saying it is a coverage issue and you have to live with it. This after 8-9 extended phone calls to tech support and talking to 2, supposedly managers. When asked if engineering is looking at it they said that their engineers lookes at the network towers and they reported no problem. This needs to get to another level of engineering to try and trouble shoot the problem. I, too, am of the belief that it is an LTE technology issue. Can't wait for my ATT contract to expire.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

Day Two Since I have turned off data and only have my phone on 4G.  I have not had any issues receiving phone calls or texts.  Two days ago, before turning off wifi, it was getting so bad, I would have to toggle airplane on my phone 3 or 4 times a day.  Not sure if this is coincidence or not, but, if it isn't, then does it really have anything to do with network strength?  

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

@edo03 wrote:

That's what I do with my galaxy s3 right now. I have to disable Wifi for my phone to start acting like a phone and receive calls. I don't have unlimited data so this temporary fix has bad consequence. 😞

How did you ended up with solution of turing off wi-fi?

Who said it's due to wi-fi?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Hello all,

I have been having this issue since last 2 months. I have done everything as per AT&T's guidelines but nothing worked. (changed SIM, changed phones, factory resets) Even after all this AT&T is not ready to admit its fault. And they are treating this issue as "User Issue"

I have posted on AT&T's facebook page and I seem to be getting responce from AT&T. I also received a call from AT&T public relations this morning. If you all can comment about your frustration on the link provided below and describe that you are having the same issue, we can get good visibility and hopefully solve the issue. If not, we can include media like Engadet, The Verge and others to get media coverage. Please comment your issue on the link below. Thanks a lot in advance.

http://www.facebook.com/ATT/posts/10151354193843909

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

I have posted on the facebook link above.  I also urge everybody else to do the same.  It's time that people are made aware of AT&T's LTE networks inability to receive calls.  

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Update on the options I tried to get my phone to work correclty

1) Factory Data Reset  
2) Take out SIM and Battery and put them back
3) Change to a new SIM card
4) Trade in Phone at the warranty center for a new phone
5) Put phone in and out of airplane mode

6) Turn off Wifi

7) Have Att device support install JB from thier machines

😎 Called ATT support and they "re broadcast"  my phone number.

Well..all of the above FAILED. I will also update the facebook link with this issue.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

Sorry I am posting so much, but, I am livid that AT&T is ignoring us.  Every option they have offered me will cost me money (such as adding another line to my family plan and trying a different phone AT MY EXPENSE).  "Too bad, you're past the 14 day warranty period."  I want this to receive as much publicity as it can.  I have submitted an email to consumerist, and hopefully, they will run with it.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.