Ask a question

Posted Aug 9, 2012
5:15:14 PM
View profile
Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 17, 2013 5:51:42 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by jamileh on Feb 5, 2013 at 9:33:18 AM

Guys,

I got this issue fixed. You dont have to remove the battery or even restart your phone for that matter. This problem occurs mainly because of 4G LTE. I dont know if its the phone or the service. So, I have found an alternative.

What you need to do is add a new APN and run your device on 3G so that you can still get calls and browse until att or samsung fixes this issue. You can either use 4G toggle which you can download from google play to toggle between 3g and 4g. Or you can add as I have said above the new APN. Please go to Settings -> More settings -> Mobile Networks ->Access point names-> (+ new APN) . Give the Name of your choice but the APN should be defined as wap.cingular and finally save it. Change the existing apn to your newly created apn. Go to you home menu and you will see the 4G is used insted 4G LTE. You can even check your speed by using speed test.

Actually now I even have fewer dropped calls and I get the calls as soon as they call it. 

Please watch the below url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TqXFd5aJcuY or read this link : http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-iii/243505-jelly-bean-4-1-1-phone-calls-bug.html

<CM EDIT:

We are researching this but I have marked jan_raghavan's suggestion as an Accepted Solution for the time being because it's worked for a couple people. 

I have to note that this is NOT an AT&T solution and it will limit your capabilities on the device because you won't be on 4G but since it's helped a few of you, I want to make sure it's visible.>

Accepted Solution

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

498 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
View all replies
(498)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2012 7:46:46 PM
(0)
Professor

Did you call AT&T to activate the phone? They have to activate the phone before it becomes fully functional, but if you have, Try this

1. Turn Your Phone off

2. Take out the SIM Card for about 5 seconds

3. Put it back in

4. Turn the phone on

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

2 of 499 (184,351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2012 10:22:40 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by mpgurucharan on Sep 19, 2012 at 10:24:46 AM

I am facing the same issue too. Not resolved yet. Even though my phone shows a good network, if some one calls it goes directly to voice mail.

This is an intermittent issue and does not happen always.

[ Edited ]
3 of 499 (183,743 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2012 11:29:43 AM
(0)
Tutor

I'm really upset that this is happening....and I know exactly what it is.

The AT&T network forces you to 3G when you receive a voice call.  Your phone switches networks as fast as it can...and on certain times of the day, takes a few too many seconds to jjump from LTE to 3G to receive the call.  The person calling you then experiences the exact same symptoms of you driving in a tunnel....it rings a few times, goes to voicemail and you have no idea. 

What makes this so bad, is if you're like me and use your phone for business, you have NO IDEA that someone called you unless they leave a voicemail.  Since getting the SGS3 my accounts have noticed that I'm not as responsive to their calls and have said something.

PLEASE HELP AT&T, this is on  you and your network.

4 of 499 (183,477 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2012 10:07:38 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hello Sir,

I have the EXACT issue as you too... Do you know if there is a fix? I have a feeling it may be the phone itself because both my father and brother has the same phone and same plan but yet, they are not experiencing this issue.. I'm no with AT&T but with Wind Mobile..

Did you find any solution to this? I have already updated the software to the latest version but still no luck... It should be like this! Very frustrating when people can't call in and you have no idea...

Do let me know.. Thanks!

5 of 499 (183,018 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2012 10:10:56 AM
(0)
Tutor
It shows that I'm connected with full bar signals but yet, it's not able to receive calls!

6 of 499 (183,014 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2012 12:15:51 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the exact same issue after moving from an iphone to GS3.

Planning to return the phone back and cancel my upgrade in a couple of days, if I dont find a resolution.

Googled all over, I see a lot of people having the same problem, but none with a solution.

Can someone help?

7 of 499 (181,571 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2012 9:52:46 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by alvingilmr on Dec 16, 2012 at 9:53:49 AM

Same here.  My wife is very annoyed and so am I.  Also, they (AT&T) charge an upgrade fee to your account now, around $40 If I remember.  I upgraded to the S3 from my iPhone 4.  I miss phone calls all the time and sometimes voicemails don't appear for hours.  The thing about missing my wife's calls is that she's a physician and has very little time during the day to talk.  So by the time I get her message, if she leaves one, is she's not available to talk.  Thought this was a superior phone and quality network.  Having my doubts.  This needs to be remedied ASAP! 

[ Edited ]
8 of 499 (181,249 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2012 8:03:02 AM
(0)
Contributor

This issue is blowing my mind.

My Galaxy s3 has been working fine since I got it. But the past 2 weeks have been terrible.

I am ON CALL during the night on Monday's and the past two Monday's... in the middle of the night when I need to hear my ringer and have a call come through... there has been nothing.

I wake up with no missed calls and a few angry text messages that don't wake me up. I'm at a loss of what to do. I'm going to take my phone to the AT&T store but after reading this I'm doubtful they will have a clue what to do about it.

9 of 499 (181,060 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2012 5:48:56 PM
(0)
Contributor
I am having the same issue and very frustrated. Thought after upgrading to JB might resolve the issue but no luck, still have the issue. I don't have any other phone to use so not sure what to do....ATT PLEASE HELP

10 of 499 (180,412 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2012 12:28:31 PM
(0)
Teacher

Same issue here!

Full network but still don't receive calls sometimes (tested from home phone to GS3)

Let's see whether Costco can give me another device.

Or else have to go to AT&T service center.

11 of 499 (180,252 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2012 8:21:41 AM
(0)
Teacher

I had bought phone 2 months back so Costco exchanged for new one.

In the evening I had same issue of not receiving calls! (testing from home phone to mobile)

I left voicemail - that too was received after 10-15 mins on mobile.

I am using the Urban Armor Gear case & the issue might be because of case (or SIM).

Which case are you all using?

If the issue occurs again then I will try removing case & see.

12 of 499 (180,018 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2012 11:20:51 AM
(0)
Teacher

Tested without the case & phone is still going to voicemail (not always)

I have data connection off, wi-fi on (but on power saving mode).

13 of 499 (180,006 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2013 6:55:13 PM
(0)
Teacher
Today I replaced SIM card (ATT store) - no luck !

I have to go to Costco again - Let's see if they replace the phone 2nd time!

I am testing from my home phone to mobile.
I am leaving voicemails for testing - that too are received very late.

14 of 499 (179,432 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2013 7:37:07 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hi

I have the same issue and I found one of my office teammate and another friend has the same issue. I think this might be a known issue to AT&T or Samsung. When my wife said she was not able to reach me, I have tested myself and found the issue by calling from her phone. Network shows full coverage but I was not receiving call. I tried calling from my S3 to my wife and it worked. Then I tried calling back from my wife I was getting calls. I think there might be something which gets disabled and when we call from S3 that might get enabled and start getting calls. If anyone knows the permanent fix, please let me know.

Thanks!

15 of 499 (179,381 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2013 6:02:00 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am also facing the missing call issue and even got my SIM card replaced but still the issue persists. I also called AT&T customer service and they told that they have not heard about this issue from anyone else and it is not known issues. They have said that they can ask for replacement device but since those are refurbished devices I am not sure what to do. Even after getting the replacement device if issue persists then i am stuck and I don't have any other phone. Does anyone have got the issue resolved by getting the replacement device? I am very frustrated with this issues. 

16 of 499 (179,239 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2013 8:45:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'm also having this problem. My girlfriend called me 6 times yesterday and 3 times today. I didn't get any of the calls but I ended up getting the voicemail she left. I'm also getting texts no problem. I called my phone with her phone (also an AT&T phone) and the calls just rang through then went to voice mail. I called her on my phone no problem then called my phone again and it worked. My guess is the radio is going into deep sleep and not waking up :\ This might be a Kernel thing, which makes me wonder: is everyone on stock firmware or are some of you on custom firmware like CM10?

Also, does anyone use a call blocker app or google voice for voicemail? I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. 

I'm running CM10.1 Nightly 01/07/13, I use google voice as my voicemail, and I use a call blocker app from the play store ("Blocker"). 

17 of 499 (179,216 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2013 8:57:46 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by contactparag on Jan 8, 2013 at 9:04:51 PM

Welcome Smiley Happy

I am actively tracking this thread because I have only few weeks before Costco 3 months exchange period.

I already exchanged phone once (old & new both S3).

Once Phone is in sleep mode for 15-20 mins or more, then if somebody calls it goes to voicemail - doesn't ring on S3.

You can still make outgoing call which resets the connection & then you receive (voicemail, text) what ever was stuck.

Surprisingly my old & new phone have same problem.

I called my friend (who I know got S3) to check his phone's network settting, he said he is having same issue along with his wife - both S3 !!!!!

He got his phone from Walmart, I got 2 phones from Costco.

Yesterday AT&T rep did some network reset on my phone (after I turned it off) but that didn't resolve the problem.

What are we upto? I think this is S3 issue in BULK !

[ Edited ]
18 of 499 (179,212 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2013 9:01:45 PM
(0)
Teacher

amandovara wrote:

I am also facing the missing call issue and even got my SIM card replaced but still the issue persists. I also called AT&T customer service and they told that they have not heard about this issue from anyone else and it is not known issues. They have said that they can ask for replacement device but since those are refurbished devices I am not sure what to do. Even after getting the replacement device if issue persists then i am stuck and I don't have any other phone. Does anyone have got the issue resolved by getting the replacement device? I am very frustrated with this issues. 

I exchanged my phone in Costco (since I bought from them).

Guess what - replcement phone (brand new) is having same issue !

19 of 499 (179,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2013 9:30:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

Doesn't look like S3 issue. I bought Galaxy Note 2 a week ago and I am having the exact same problems. The issue is intermittent, though. This more looks like AT&T issue with their 4G network.

Does anyone also having lag/delay in connection while making an outbound call? For me it takes about 20-30 secs before I can hear the 1st ring.

20 of 499 (179,200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2013 6:40:11 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by otakonx on Jan 9, 2013 at 6:42:35 AM

Chirag03, I definitely have that delay. 

What does everyones battery stats look like? If this is a network issue, it would explain why my "cell standby" is always the second highest %. Cell Standby is basically the phone trying to get a good signal. The odd thing is, I have 3-4 bars consistantly and never have any drops. 

[ Edited ]
21 of 499 (179,111 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2013 7:40:28 AM
(0)
Contributor

My Iphone 3s was doing that so I got the Optimus G for Christmas thinking my phone was getting old. Now the Optimus G is doing the same thing! My Fiance will try to call 6 or 7 times and each time it goes to voice mail. I'm taking my phone to AT&T soon if nothing works. It's very irritating. 

Re: Samsung Galaxy SO Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

22 of 499 (179,094 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2013 10:07:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

The more I try to troubleshoot this issue, the more I beleive it has something to do with AT&T network and not the phone.

Is someone from AT&T looking into this? Or is someone reading this thread? I am sure there are 'N' number of users who are facing this problem and not complaning. We will need someone from AT&T look into this issue ASAP!

How many of you guys think it can be a phone case issue?

23 of 499 (178,989 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2013 7:18:04 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by contactparag on Jan 10, 2013 at 7:52:56 AM

chirag03 wrote:

The more I try to troubleshoot this issue, the more I beleive it has something to do with AT&T network and not the phone.

Is someone from AT&T looking into this? Or is someone reading this thread? I am sure there are 'N' number of users who are facing this problem and not complaning. We will need someone from AT&T look into this issue ASAP!

How many of you guys think it can be a phone case issue?

I had called AT&T CS 2-3 times, initially they did network reset on my phone.

But that didn't resolve the problem.

My 2 GS3 (exchanged once), my friend has 2 GS3 with same issue.

So personally I know 4 phones (but GS3) having same issue in same area.

I want to believe it's network issue - something with 4G/LTE.

But if that is the case then there should be 100s (min) of people reporting to AT&T & that doesn't seem to be the case or may be AT&T doesn't CARE ! Why don't you all CALL AT&T & let them know !

http://forums.att.com/t5/Windows-Discussion-and-Support/HTC-8X-not-receiving-incoming-calls/m-p/3385533/highlight/true#M19796

http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/HTC-one-X-plus-stops-receiving-calls/td-p/3370861/highlight/true

http://forums.att.com/t5/Network-Coverage/Not-Receiving-Texts-Until-Later-amp-Missing-Calls/m-p/3231247/highlight/true#M54719

I have opened network ticket in my area - ETA is 01/14.

I am going to threaten them to terminate service !!! Service does't work for single most important purpose of phone !!!

[ Edited ]
24 of 499 (178,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2013 4:53:46 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hello all!

I'm having trouble receiving incoming calls (or even SMS) on my GS3 too, but I can make calls just fine. I got my phone in July 2012 and noticed the issue started late November. So I recently went to the AT&T Device Support to have it checked and they thought my phone was just defective so they replaced it with a brand new one. But no luck, the issue kept happening even on the brand new replacement. What's weird though is that I seem to keep having trouble receiving incoming calls or texts only when I am connected to a Wi-fi network. I thought maybe, my Wi-fi is the culprit but no...whenever it is connected to any W-fi network and the phone has been idled for a few hours, the issue comes back. When I am NOT on Wi-fi, I CAN receive incoming calls/texts just fine. I made that conclusion because I have had my Wi-fi OFF on my phone for a few days and can receive incoming calls/texts, but when I am on Wi-fi, it's a whole another story! I tried software updates, factory resets, nothing works. So now, I have to sacrifice using Wi-fi just so I can't have any trouble receiving phone calls or text messages. I didn't change my SIM card by the way, but even if I did, I don't think it will make any difference since my phone seem to be fully functional over 4G LTE.

Note: I am not using Wi-fi calling...just the "normal" one. If you know what I mean...Smiley Happy

25 of 499 (178,801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2013 7:42:24 PM
(0)
Contributor

Problem of not receiving phone calls started when I went from an HTC inspire to the HTC one X plus at the end of November. AT&T kept me hanging for over a month saying that they were working on the problem. They opened two separate cases on my phone and no one was able to resolve either one and ended up swapping out my phone for the Samsung galaxy S3. I've had the phone three days and tonight my husband tried to call my phone and it didn't ring and went straight to voicemail. Personally I think the problem is the network and I think someone at AT&T should man up and admit that there's a problem with their network, possibly with LTE. I'm thinking I'm going to have to go back to using the HTC inspire so I can receive calls, that's really too bad I love the HTC one X plus and the Samsung galaxy S3 but if they won't redeive calls, what's the use of having the phone.

26 of 499 (178,768 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2013 10:19:25 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Taylarie on Jan 11, 2013 at 5:26:27 AM

ksks wrote:

Problem of not receiving phone calls started when I went from an HTC inspire to the HTC one X plus at the end of November. AT&T kept me hanging for over a month saying that they were working on the problem. They opened two separate cases on my phone and no one was able to resolve either one and ended up swapping out my phone for the Samsung galaxy S3. I've had the phone three days and tonight my husband tried to call my phone and it didn't ring and went straight to voicemail. Personally I think the problem is the network and I think someone at AT&T should man up and admit that there's a problem with their network, possibly with LTE. I'm thinking I'm going to have to go back to using the HTC inspire so I can receive calls, that's really too bad I love the HTC one X plus and the Samsung galaxy S3 but if they won't redeive calls, what's the use of having the phone.

So many new phones (GS3, One X+, HTC WP etc.) are having the issue.

Somehow phones are not fully compatible with AT&T LTE, they are not able to switch to non-LTE for incoming call. Is that right assesment?

AT&T knows it!

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Does any body know how to disable LTE on GS3?

[ Edited ]
27 of 499 (178,728 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2013 9:11:45 PM
(0)
Teacher

Galaxy Note 2 here and same issues.  I have done a warranty exchange thinking it was a phone issue, same issue.  Rather than rebooting, i discovered that putting it in and out of airplane mode would "wake" the phone up and it would start receiving calls again.  (I would also receive all my missed texts at one time, all timestamped at the time I toggled airplane mode).  

Usually, I'm alerted that there is a problem when my phone beeps and says I have a missed call on Google voice.  So, somehow, Google's servers are getting through to my phone, just not AT&T's calls and texts!!!  I don't even get missed call messages.

Portland area just got LTE in November, and unfortunately, I upgraded to the Note 2 in November and I have regretted it ever since.  I have never had this problem before.

I have spent hours on the phone with AT&T on this, and they offered to exchange it again (even though they admittied it was most likley not a phone problem), or for me to add another line at $9.99 a month, buy a different type of phone (of course at my expense), or just live with it.  I responded that I wanted to cancel, and they advised me that there would be an ETF for all three lines on my plan.

So, I either have to fork up close to $900 to leave them (been with them since 1998) or live with a phone that works when it wants.

I do not know what to do.  I feel like an sap for being so loyal to AT&T.  

28 of 499 (178,582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2013 8:25:31 AM
(0)
Teacher

aaronsv wrote:

Galaxy Note 2 here and same issues.  I have done a warranty exchange thinking it was a phone issue, same issue.  Rather than rebooting, i discovered that putting it in and out of airplane mode would "wake" the phone up and it would start receiving calls again.  (I would also receive all my missed texts at one time, all timestamped at the time I toggled airplane mode).  

Usually, I'm alerted that there is a problem when my phone beeps and says I have a missed call on Google voice.  So, somehow, Google's servers are getting through to my phone, just not AT&T's calls and texts!!!  I don't even get missed call messages.

Portland area just got LTE in November, and unfortunately, I upgraded to the Note 2 in November and I have regretted it ever since.  I have never had this problem before.

I have spent hours on the phone with AT&T on this, and they offered to exchange it again (even though they admittied it was most likley not a phone problem), or for me to add another line at $9.99 a month, buy a different type of phone (of course at my expense), or just live with it.  I responded that I wanted to cancel, and they advised me that there would be an ETF for all three lines on my plan.

So, I either have to fork up close to $900 to leave them (been with them since 1998) or live with a phone that works when it wants.

I do not know what to do.  I feel like an sap for being so loyal to AT&T.  

I would call them again & again!

If they can't resolve the issue then obviously ask for phone exchange.

If issue occurs again, take print out of various threads here on ATT forum & cancel the service (without ETF)!

We can't accept the issue (not ours) & do nothing.

I am surprised if there are millions of LTE phones out there, then why hasn't large number of people reported this issue?

29 of 499 (178,416 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2013 12:55:25 PM
(0)
Tutor
Hello..

I am faced with the exact same problem. My phone recieves calls when it feels like. I dont even get a notification that I missed a call.

I did 30 calls back to back to my galaxy S3 from a friends phone and 12 of them vanished into some other dimension - no notification on my phone that I missed those 12 calls. Every now and then, I get the message that I am not accepting any phone calls.

Also I have noticed that when I am dialling out of my galaxy S3, it beeps and cuts off.

I started noticing these issues after upgrading to JB 4.1.1

Have spoken to ATT reps several times.Changed SIM cards. Spoke to device warranty guys and got myself a new phone AND still these issues persists.

I am fed up, and trapped for another 1.5 years under ATT with an extremely unreliable phone. If any one else has these issues, please bring it up to ATT's attention.

30 of 499 (178,046 Views)