The Samsung Galaxy S24
kzandrah's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, January 15th, 2014 11:21 PM

Samsung Galaxy S3 Contacts App Crashing

I am currently having trouble with the stock Contacts app on my phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, running Android 4.3. I am trying to update some contacts in my phone (specifically, adding contacts to the ICE - emergency contacts group). I am able to get to the groups screen and select the ICE group, but when I click "Save" I get the error message: "Unfortunately, Contacts has stopped." I am then taken back to my contacts list, and the group change has not been saved. 

I have tried doing other edits to the contacts (adding a note, adding a new phone number, etc.) and these changes are saved without a problem; the crash is only happening when I try to update the group that the contact belongs to. 

I have tried restarting the phone, as well as force stopping the app and then reopening it, with no luck. Any additional suggestions, or has anyone else run into this problem?

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

@RonAnnArbor wrote:

None of those issues here and I too am having the same problem...

I don't understand your first sentence. Are you saying you have none of the issues discussed here but have the same problem? Or are you saying that none of the solutions posted here are working for you? Did you follow my procedure step by step?

I fixed two phones personally that were having this issue, but as I said before, in order to do it, I had to purge all the data, clean up my contacts via google contacts (online), and then re sync.

My original issue had to do with changing the group setting on a contact. If I understand you correctly, you are saying when you use select any contact that it crashes. Have you tried purging the cache and data for contacts?

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I have followed all these steps and the problem still exists. I have tried more than once and am still unable to save groups

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

So you are saying that you cleared the cache and data. So there should be no contacts at all on your phone. You try to create one contact and you cannot change the group? So now you phone has no contacts on it at all is what you are saying....

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I stil have contacts on my phone, you just cannot update the groups. Even when I add a new contact, I cannot add it to a group without getting the messsage Unfortunately Contacts has Stopped Working, when I try to save the change.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

You never answered my question. I asked if you did all the steps, you should have no contacts at all on your phone. Are you saying that you have no contacts on the phone and are still unable to create even one contact?

Did you log in to your google contacts via the web and clean up (or at least check to see if anything needed to be cleaned up) as I outlined before?

You keep saying it didn't work, but you aren't stating what steps you took.

I'm trying to help you, but you have to give me some answers as to what you've done so far.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

I'd also like to point out that lots of people are saying they did the steps (and explained what they did) and they are saying it still didn't work. What I have noticed though is no one is saying they logged into the online version of google contacts to verify the groups assigned for their contacts. I'm no expert, but I think this was a key problem in finding the solution. I think google changed something at some point and it broke the syncing because of the group catagory settings.

To everyone saying this didn't work for them:

Please let me know if you actually cleaned up your online google contacts (put everything in the right catagory and every contact was part of the "My Contacts" group). If you did this and all the other steps, I would like to know. I did this procedure on two phones and it worked for me.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

In my case the Exchange Activesync account on Nine (probably the best EAC App available except for this bug) was causing the problem.  Non of the contact from Nine are working.  All the other contacts (linkedIn, Google, Outlook.com, Facebook) are working.  I had to remove the Nine account to go back to the native Android EAC, too bad.

Hope this will help

Tutor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Finally!

I have had this issue since the Android 4.3 update in February.  This solution fixed my Contact Synce and crashing problem.

I have many, many categories and leave some contacts (old or out of date) un-categorized, so I didn't necessarily want everything in "My Contacts".

But clearing the cache and data for both Contacts and Contacts Storage did the trick!  It was probably corruption in the Contacts Storage as I had cleared Contacts data and cache before without any results.

Do backup your contacts to your SD card and then re-import them.  They are currently syncing to my Google account.  Once they are done, I will do a "Find and Merge Duplicates" to get rid of the duplicate entries created by re-importing the saved contacts on the phone.

Thanks for the tips!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.