Helpful Links

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 914

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

I have spent hours trying to figure this out and can confirm it worked great with Note 2 and other phones have a lock.  Also verified with GPS software that the sattelites are in view.

This is yet another example of how frustrating it is to be held hostage with a locked bootloader.  I purchased this for $750 off contract and GPS is important to me.  I like AT&T coverage, but feeling like I should switch to another carrier that does not lock you in like this.  

Please give us the freedom to make software choices with our own device!  You guys are great as a carrier in voice and data - please stay out of the software business Smiley Happy

Message 106 of 914
Scholar

A bit more, it has been 16 hoours since my factory reset and the GPS is working correctly???. The only difference this time I removed the SIm card before the reset and have not put it back in and have not connected to wifi. 100% zero data for the phone.

I just tested and the GPS is still working (testing by plugging in and unplugging from the stock charger once a full GPS lock has been made, and it was 17 sats). 

This makes me think that the GPS files (mentioned above) are being currpoted once something updates through data, maybe the A-GPS file? I'm going to test this when I get home, and if it still works, I'm going to connect to Wifi and try again

Message 107 of 914
Teacher

Remeber james that it takes around 24 hours for the gps to stop working.  I would give it till tomorrow morning.  If it is still working tomorrow morning I would try slowly turning stuff on until it stops working.  Hopefully you have another phone to use while you are testing.

Message 108 of 914
Mentor

I called ATT again today and got someone else on the phone.  Again (and as expected), she told me she didn't see anything associated to this thread in the queue acknowledging this issue.

So here's what I (AND EVERYONE ON THIS LIST SHOULD DO):

1) Call ATT and briefly explain the GPS issue, cutting them short when they start asking the really dumb question which should only take 10 seconds or so. 

2) Tell them to reference this thread :

http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-3-GPS-Issue/td-p/3824953

3) Send the same note and referenced link to (sb4322 at att.com).  The gal I spoke to had me send the thread to this address which she said she would forward to her managers and tech team.

4) Send the same message again to: https://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/2802899

which is ATTMarianaCM (Community Manager).

5) Get ATT to send a new phone because your GPS isn't functioning.  Upon arrival, the GPS will not work as we all know.  Then call again and get another one sent, and so on.  At some point, ATT will have to acknowledge a problem.  

The only other resolution is to switch carriers, although I'm certain nobody really wants to do that.

Signed,

Frustrated ATT Customer    

Message 109 of 914
Scholar

@nicman I was thinking the same thing. yesterday it lasted 12 hours, but I agree to be 100% sure, I'm going to wait about 36 hours (7am tomorrow) before I let the phone connect to wifi or put the sim card in.

Message 110 of 914
Teacher

This is Really fustrating. I was an iphone user for the past 4 yrs and I havent had any issues with apple products. The only reason why I switched to buying a Samsung product is because the Note 3 had a bigger screen.

I have gone through this exchange 2 times. 3rd exchange on the way and im sure this wont fix the problem.

I am ready to return this phone back to ATT and get a new iphone for myself but dont know how.  Everytime i get a refurbished phone I have to spend  an hour backing up my data and another hour restoring my data. Then re install all the apps I had before.

This is really fustrating AT&T. I dont want another refurbished note3. I want a working phone.

Message 111 of 914
Mentor

Update - I spoke with ATT tech support, they have acknowledged our request !!!  They are going to escalate the issue and hopefully when anyone else calls in, it will at least be in the system. They know about the thread and are following it as per our conversation.

With any luck, some developer will get himself a Note 3 and stumble upon the navigation debacle ... 

Message 112 of 914

Has anyone tried this fix?
Message 113 of 914

I meant the suggestion from goldendragon. Sorry for the omission.
Message 114 of 914
Scholar

I had fun this afternoon, I stopped by 3 AT&T stores and asked to play with the display units. All of them had the GPS issue, even one of the manager's Note 3 had the issue. She was not too happy about that. 

Anyways, this is a wild goose chase but worth a shot. Some people are reporting that the T# 2-3 and T# 2-4 versions do not have the issue [EDIT question removed] it is confirmed below that the T# 2-3 and T# 2-4 has the issue

Message 115 of 914
Tutor

Mine says T1-1. I got mine way back in OCT when it was first announced. I had no idea the GPS issue with this phone was this big. I couldn't get any answer from ATT when I called them in 2013 but I have a good feeling about it now. 

Message 116 of 914
Mentor

this isn't a hardware issue as stated in many other findings.  mine is a t#2-4 and i have the issue.  this is looking more and more like an ATT GPS files issue as  goldendrag0n has discovered in a post yesterday.

anyway, ATT is looking into it, they are following this thread.

Message 117 of 914
Mentor

My issue has also returned and my phone is brand new (8 days old)and is T4

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Message 118 of 914
Scholar

@kirk-icap I also think it is a system config file issue, which I have posted earlier, many times. Like I said, it was a long shot, but something worth looking into. It is good to know you have the T#2-4 and have the issue, so thank you for posting that.

[Edit] removed 

Message 119 of 914
Teacher

I opened up the back of my note 3 and instead of the model number I found etched: "LOL NO GPS FOR U NOOB."

So disheartening.
Message 120 of 914
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support