The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

If we could see a fix as soon as one week from now that would be great. I won't hold breath though given att's history.

Scholar

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

@Enuratique wrote:

I have it on good authority that build NC2 passed technical acceptance today and will begin rolling out in one week.

Can you give any more detail? How you know this, what the changelog contains,... anything? Since you obviously know more than any of us, I'd like to make it clear we would love to hear more details from you.

All praise @Enuratique if this is truthful and reliable information

Mentor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I don't have a changelog, per se, but it is the highly anticipated KK update which includes a GPS fix. I haven't tested it myself yet, since I don't want to repave my device with the full binary. I wish I could give more info, but I don't want to risk my job.

Mentor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

To wit, if my posts magically disappear, you'll know I'm not lying.

Mentor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Just received word that the rollout will begin this Thursday, March 27th. Your device needs to have already received and installed the NB4 build that was pushed a few weeks ago to receive the update. Keep in mind that FOTA releases are done in waves, so your device may not receive the update on the 27th.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Hope it's true. Thank you!

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

10 years ago

If this guy is just trolling, I hope all of his kids are born naked!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I purchase this phone thru Att next, one main purpose is to use it as GPS now I'm lock me, you know traveling to unfamiliar place is annoying using gps the lost signal while you still in a bright sunny day. It is a waste of gas. They should allow me upgrade back as a regular upgrade. Now it like I'm pay for 700usd, hope they allow me to like just a regular upgrade.

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

10 years ago

@pdqgp wrote:

@Ranmaniac wrote:
The fact that it will work on some days on a previously traveled route which had griss errors before, with seemingly no correlation to weather, time of day.. Or anything else that is apparent.. Really makes me scratch my head

Read through the details in this thread.   It's related mainly to the changing of signals from LTE/4G such as when changing towers/coverage areas and inbound calls or emails.  You can also get it to drop if you plug it in to a car charger while navigating.  Usually for me it's an inbound call or email.  

And other things copy & pasted from the various articles such as on Android police and proported as actual news.  If you have a specific case where it's repeatable, then good for you.  I have multitudes cases where it's not repeatable on a day to day basis, since last september, and it's is NOT isolated to the Note 3.  It began happening to me in a Jelly Bean update on my Note 1 about last September. I use map tracking apps such as Mapmyride, Strava, or Gopogle tracker.  I wrestled with the app developer, assuming It was the app (Mapmyride) for a couple of weeks, then I upgraded to the Note 3, straight from Note 1, and still had the problem.  I was certain it was the app at this point but then tried Strava and Tracker a while later with the same results.   They all exhibit the same behaviour when the GPS drops.  They stall at a given point and then draw a straight line to your current location when they recover, no matter what distance or route youve traveled in between.  

Everybody and their brother's dog with an alternate company's Note 3 out there running around just to prove it's just AT&T..  yay for them..  I dont think anyone is doubting that at this point.  It has no bearing on this discussion and does not lend insight other than the fact that it's an AT&T issue.  

Other people have reported the same issue with the Galaxy Mega.  Perhaps its some combination of the chosen hardware for the larger phones vs a software bug.

To the present...  Just yesterday,  I rode a 53 mile route...  I rode the route out to 26 & change and rode teh exact same route back.  I reset the tracking app at the midway point.  On the way out,  it stalled, burped, & drew straight lines all over the place with no rhyme or reason as to where it stalled other than perhaps I passed under some trees.  On the way back,  I had only one GPS error, about 22 miles into the 26 mile return.  All the previous mileage passing through teh same route where it errored, insanely, before.  

This issue is simply more complicated than the simple observations of "LTE/4G" switching and or power supplu plugging/unplugging.  If it were that simple, it would probably have been fixed already.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

10 years ago

@Vetdoctor 

@Vetdoctor wrote:

a.

b. There is something in the file that ATT desperately wants on the phone and is involved in the issue.

c.

Yes, The NSA Uber Tracking System

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.