The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

@Ranmaniac wrote:

I understand the theoretical "reported isues", but LTE/4G changeover, /Chargers & all that is simply the observations that other users have made or speculated.  No one has actually confirmed the actual issue from AT&T other than "We're working on it" or equivalent.

If you're waiting on AT&T to admit there's an issue, that's not going to happen.  That would open them up to way too costly of an issue.   Not going to happen for many reasons.

If you're als dismissing pretty basic testing and observations then you're selling yourself short.    I for one have an exact area that I travel 3 times per week that see's a switch from LTE to 4G so i can 100% confidently show repeatadly that it causes a GPS Drop.  If i turn off the cell portion of the phone and leave the GPS on and of course in turn run Sygic or TomTom GPS with locally stored maps, it's just fine and works perfectly...outside when you plug the phone in to charge...which I don't quite understand, but don't care about as I tend to plug it in all the time when in the car and I do so right away.

I also have access to any number of Verizon Note 3's that do NOT exhibit ANY GPS issues under simliar circumstances.  I've tested both extensively when traveling with my coworkers.    I've also seen AT&T Phones rooted with non AT&T GPS files on them that are 100% fine after the root.  Those points noted, I'm confident it's 100% an AT&T Issue.

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

Why are people still doubting this is an AT&T issue? People who rooted their phones to replace the GPS files from AT&T have a 100% working GPS in their Note 3. AT&T already said they are working on the fix which will be incorporated in the KitKat release. As if that is not a clear admission from AT&T. I'm just hoping that the problem will truly be fixed and not open up another can of worms.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Wow. I just chatted with an AT&T tech support rep and he said that they are aware of the issue but he doesn't know when they will fix it. When I complained about safety issues he was like 'well, I'm just relaying the info I've been given.' They were NOT sorry at all about this serious problem. When I finally said that I am leaving AT&T, he said that he hates to see me leaving. Oh well, I guess they don't care at all. Great.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

10 years ago

If the GPS fix exists and we know that it exists on XDA, why ATT does not implement it on the current Android 4.3 firmware. Why we have to wait for "fix" in KitKat? We do not even know if "att gps fix" will work in the new firmware.

At least now we can root our phones and repair GPS. After upgrade to Android 4.4 this option will not be possible.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

a. The fix works most of the time but in x number of phones doesn't or even makes it worse.

b. There is something in the file that ATT desperately wants on the phone and is involved in the issue.

c. Replacing the file is an accidental fix, the real problem is elsewhere. 

Remember that ATT did send out a small update trying to fix the phone, I imagine they tried tweaking the file and it didn't work.

Master

• 

5.1K Messages

10 years ago

@SB20 wrote:
You could still return it. The way things are going, Note 4 will be out before the fix is released anyway.

This is what I did. Even though I wasn't seeing any GPS issues after the first 10 days with the Note 3, I returned to AT&T while I could still get a full refund as I didn't what to keep it and then start having the problems that I've read about too many others having with it, only to be told by AT&T that there is nothing they could do about it. I paid over $700 for it at retail so it wasn't worth it to take a chance on something with as many GPS problems as I heard about it having. I'll stick with my iPhone 5S for now as the GPS on this is always spot on accurate. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

+1

I only access 4g service and constantly lose gps.

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

10 years ago

I guess you missed the whole cycling bit...  Hence your inability to understand

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

10 years ago

No one's doubting it's an AT&T issue... 

[Please keep it courteous]

Mentor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I have it on good authority that build NC2 passed technical acceptance today and will begin rolling out in one week. Normally I would not bother posting this information on an AT&T forum, but both my wife's Note 3 and my Note 3 are exhibiting this problem and the complete lack of ownership and communication by AT&T has driven me to submit this to hopefully give hope to those on this forum desperate for an answer. The Note 3 is a really great device and it's a shame so many people's experience with it has been marred by such a completely avoidable bug.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.