For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Scholar

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

More proof. This time a test run in parallel with Verizon S4, AT&T Note 2, and A factory fresh refurbished Note 3.

Verizon S4   -------- Note 2 -------- Note 3

IMG_0623.JPG

Notice the differences between "Distance traveled" and "Moving time" between these phones. Which one is not like the others? All three phones sat on my passenger seat throughout the test, screen off.

IMG_0624.JPG

S4 did not record the stop sign stops (down to 0-5 MPH) that I made, but it did not cut out at all.

Note 2 worked the best, showing each time i stopped for sotp signs. It did not cut out once.

Note 3 was horrible, there were pieces of data completely missing. That's why the trip distance was so far off.

This next picture shows the missing gps data very clearly ( i just zoomed into the graph 2x)

IMG_0625.JPG

several times the GPS completely blanked out and recorded me moving zero MPH.

On the map of my trip, you can CLEARLY see how the GPS of Note3 was completely clueless as to my location quite often. It is the only one that has a dashed line for my track

IMG_0628.JPG

AT&t Note 3 has permentantly flawed GPS in Android 4.3

I want to remind you of the state of these devices:

the Verizon S4 is stock, but with tons of apps.
The Note 2 is rooted, with tons of apps, (but no sim card in this test)

and the Note 3 is COMPLETELY BONE STOCK / FACTORY RESET. Just normal play store updates and the intsallation of My Tracks in order to run this test. Sim card in and cellular on

This proves the software AT&T sells and/or the phone AT&T sold us is defective on Note 3.

Run this test yourself, espceially if you can in parallel with more than one android device at a time. Use this proof to demand a solution from ATT that works for your needs.

I will be demanding an AT&T Galaxy s4 free of charge or as a loaner until this problem is solved. If they cant do that, I wont be paying my bill and will probably move to aonther carrier/demand they release my contract.

If anyone wants these photos in higher resolution, or any further details, just send me a message.

4 Attachments

Scholar

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

Another update. With AT&T's blessing, I am sending the refurbished Note 3 I just received from AT&T into Samsung for investigation of the GPS issue.

In truth, I expect to get the phone back completely factory reset, with the same problem. But I am hoping otherwise. I will test it once I get it back from Samsung.....  Lets see what they do

Scholar

• 

262 Messages

10 years ago

Fix please! Annoying thing

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

I haven't tested it yet but I am looking to try turning off Mobile Data which will kill inbound email web use text messages, etc. none of which I really need while driving anyway, but allow for GPS Use and Phone Call use.  Not sure if the GPS will drop when making calls because the phone won't drop out of LTE as it will not be on to begin with.

Of course that will kill using Google Maps, but I can use Sygic or TomTom with locally stored maps navigate and still have use of my phone.

Worth a try until a fix comes along.

Scholar

• 

62 Messages

10 years ago

Neither Samsung nor AT&T have officially acknowledge that this problem exists.  Support claims there is no reference in their database.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

Sounds like a Mission Impossible plan: " If you should accept this phone and it breaks both ATT and Samsung will deny any knowledge of you and your phone. Good luck Mr. Phelps" 

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

@sonicthoughts wrote:

Neither Samsung nor AT&T have officially acknowledge that this problem exists.  Support claims there is no reference in their database.

Of course they won't put it in their database...that would be further proof that there is indeed a problem.   Not that any number of their own employees quoting here in this thread wouldn't hold up in court.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

As I posted in the other thread on this issue, don't waste your time with FCC complaints.  They obviously don't care about those.  File an FTC complaint.  Their current practices in relation to selling this phone with a known issue without publically acknowledging it is detremental to their customers.

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1

Mentor

• 

17 Messages

10 years ago

Yesterday I filed a complaint to FCC and just filed a complaint to FTC. There are articles on the internet about this issue and how us customers are furious with att

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

My Note 3 has the GPS problem also. Texted with ATT service rep today and got usual answer of "there will be a fix soon". For some reason, the rep had to research the iissue. Seems like it should come right away on the knowledgebase if you quey Note 3 GPS, like it does on Google.

In case you missed it, the workaround is to disable the cellular radio by entering airplane mode then enabling the GPS radio. FOr some reason, the GPS works fine with the cell radio off. This allows you to use a standalone GPS package like Sygic (maps are stored on your phone), but of course you won't get a call or text.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.