The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

10 years ago

Funny anecdotal evidence...  Every once in a blue moon, I will have an error free ride on my bike.  yesterday was one of these rides,  35 miles in fact, without error over the same route that might typically get many errors.  This is pretty much a fluke for me.  The only thing I can correlate over the last 2 or 3 times in the last month or so that I went without errors is that the temperature was rather warm on all occasions...  >65° or so.....  Go figure... Whats even stranger is that I didnt stary having these issues until last fall, having ridden error free, all last summer with a Note 1, then started having these issues on the Note 1 then Note 3 after I upgraded.  My insticnts tell me I'm clutching at straws but perhaps it's a wear GPS receiver which is more easily tripped up by either cold weather or satelite angle during fall/winter...  

Just thinking "out loud"...  I even admit it's a bit of a stretch...  LOL..  But if it holds water, this means things should start getting better for a while!!  lol

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

So it looks like ATT is to blame for the OS not being updated.  Per Samsungs website we are all running on 4.4  take a look at this link to the note 3 and look at the specs.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SM-N900AZKEATT

Scholar

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

@tnerb123 wrote:

So it looks like ATT is to blame for the OS not being updated.  Per Samsungs website we are all running on 4.4  take a look at this link to the note 3 and look at the specs.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SM-N900AZKEATT

I posted that about a week ago (to here and elsewhere), and the community confirmed to me it's been that way for quite some time. We do know AT&T is the one responsible for and delaying a fix

Mentor

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

I personally believe that the developers or programmers at AT&T have come up with several beta releases of the the kitkat update for the Note 3 but upon testing they are finding out that it's not fixing the GPS problem.  This is more than likley why the update hasn't and may not be sent out for this phone.  I have several friends and family members who write code for CISCO and the like and have advised that more than likely they are finding that they have a much bigger problem on there hands then just a simple update.  The update for kitkat for the Note 3 is typically about 400 to 430 mbs.  I would presume that if and when they ever release an update for this phone the file will be much bigger only becuase of the massive change in the code that needed to corrected for this paticular phone on the AT&T network.  This is not a Samsung problem AT&T tampered with or manipulated the files on the phone once they recieved the phones

The scary thing is that they have screwed up the phone so bad that when you plug it in you loose GPS reception.  No other carrier has tampered with the phone like this...hence thats why they are recieving there updates and we are not.  I don't know how much knowledge my friends who actually write code and do programing really know about this but a couple of them have played around with development of the android code which is basically glorified linux script and they say that the Note 3 on ATT has a much bigger problem to the point that it may be now a hardware issue that will be the fix.  I wouldn't hold my breath for AT&T to do a mass recall of there flagship phone.

Now its even gotten worse because AT&T are continuing to sell the phone to unsuspecting customers knowing that the GPS is flawed due to there own manipulation of the files on the phone.  The ethical thing to do would be to admit the issue pubilically and pull the phone off the shelf and stop selling it until its fixed.   But this is 2014 and business ethics ara a thing of the pass...the almighty dollar is the bottom line and with T-Mobile expanding and basically buying AT&T's customers im sure they are starting to feel the heat and maybe actually starting to question there future in the phone biz once again...remember the whole cingular ATT mess?... uh...yeah.

Mentor

• 

17 Messages

10 years ago

Once again lost gps signal while driving on freeway at the busiest hours in houston. Att taking way too long. Gonna file a complaint to FCC

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I called technical support this morning. The "tech" seemed completely unaware that the note3 has gps issues. He searched his computer, then put me on hold before telling me Samsung has to issue a fix. According to him, AT&T has nothing to do with the software on the phone. I am pretty sure he really believed [what] he was feeding me, or he was an excellent actor. I've been a loyal customer for 15+ years. I bought myself and my wife the Notes in February on the next program, so I'm paying almost $900 over 20 months for both. No one mentioned any defects with the phones, even though they knew at that point. I'm not a lawyer, but that seems fraudulent. I'm pretty disgusted at this point.

[word filter avoidance]

Mentor

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

Well the person you talked to on the phone is considered there first line of defense when they start getting calls about a major known issue with there flagship phone.  The fact that you bought the phone in February and it is a well known fact that they phone has had this issued since day one back in November but yet they still sold you the phone amounts to deceptive busisness practices at the least.  There is no use in calling AT&T as your going to get a scripted response from a rep who has been trained to deflect the issue back to Samsung.  If this was a Samsung issue..why aren't the other customers from other carriers complaining? Not to mention the others have rolled out there Kit Kat updates and everything is working just fine.  This is proof positve that this is NOT a Samsung issue.  Not sure why AT&T would not catch that before training there reps to respond with that answer.  That response is more like an insult to the intellegence of there customers.  But on the other hand most of there customers won't even use the GPS anyway or notice that its broken...or more than likely they will just brush it off as a glitch in the phone and buy a garmin or just not use the GPS feature.

At the end of the day...AT&T is aware of the issue and are more than likely hoping we will just go away as many of there customers may very well do that....T-Mobile is looking more and more tempting with every dropped GPS signal.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I tried to get out of contract (got my Note 3 soon after rollout) and was told by customer service that I could not get out of contract. I am glad we are getting more media coverage.

Has anyone else been able to get out of contract or offered anything else besides an old fashion No?

Two months of data half off? I haven't asked for anything from AT&T except for them to put forth an effort to fix this and maybe be more transparent so we may know where we are at. I've been waiting since January... Noticed it during the holidays but didn't truly realize it until early January.

Remember to sign your pledge and file your FCC claim in order for us to continue to get traction on this.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

Very tired of waiting for the fix. This has problem and plagueing me for almost a year. Started to interact in this forum since January where the problem and the fix was identified by XDA people (yeah not ATT). But up until now there is no solution provided by ATT. 

I finally decided to call ATT and get my device replace to Apple 5s. At least that is reliable. But the tech support told me they are not authorized to do that. First they have to go thru the tiresome process that they have to flush the device test it then if it does not work. The a higher level tech support talks to you about your options to solve it. What dismays me is the person I talke dto has not heard about it, which I honestly doubt it. And what is funny is that they try relate the problem to where I am, or where I leave. I can still remember that the tech support saying that it might be a problem because of the where I live. This is not a good sign since I complain about the GPS and seems like they are trying to say the solution is because of the network coverage. Seems like that is the closest solution to their books.  So sad honestly. But anyways I am waiting a call for the next level tech support today to confirm if the flushing works. ATT did not call back, so much for what they promise. This is why I cannot  rely on their words on fixing this issue.

I also filed an FCC complaint to my dismay. I complained about the service as well as for selling us a defective device and at the same time washing their hands about their fault.

Some guy from ATT Social Care that is monitoring this thread tried to give me options on replacing the device. I told them the closes device on price and reliability that I would accept is a iphone 5s. He replied they have to confirm that with upper management. And after that I never got back a reply it is almost 3 weeks and is really ridiculous customer support.

Mentor

• 

17 Messages

10 years ago

I've been loyal customer with att for over 3 years and never had this problem until I got note 3. Just filed a complaint to FCC and included the link for this forum incase they want to check out it affecting most note 3 users
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.