The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

Please stop peddling your misinformation. We have users in this thread specifically confirming GPS works fine on other variants. You're the same guy a few pages back telling people to eBay their Note 3 for cheap and said you had your Note 3 up on eBay for $200 or something for a few weeks with no takers. I don't know what your problem is but judging from all your posts you seem to be trolling. 

Most of the people in this thread seems to have read most of the thread; however, there still seems to be a few that just skip to the last page and post adding white noise to the thread. People, if you're going to be looking for a solution to a problem, don't you think it's prudent to read everything that's been written? 

I will reiterate the problem, the solution, and whose fault it is so that everybody's on the same page and new users don't get confused. 

Problem:

GPS SIGNAL LOST - Problem occurs when phone switches network, like from 4G LTE to 4G and/or the charger is plugged or unplugged from the phone. Your phone switches from 4G LTE to 4G every time you receive a phone call or make a phone so that's why some of you lose GPS signal when you receive a phone call. 

Solution:

Requires rooting of your phone and replacing 6 GPS files from AT&T's ROM to the International GPS files found on the international version of our phones. These are OEM Samsung files before AT&T modified them. Or you could also flash the X-Note ROM which also contains the international GPS files. Anyway you do it, you just have to get the original 6 Samsung GPS files to replace the faulty AT&T ones. In an earlier post I have already listed the files and I think also linked to the thread on XDA where the solution was discovered so I don't feel like looking it up again and listing/linking. 

Fault:

The fault lies solely with AT&T, has nothing to do with Samsung. Why? Deduce it for yourself. International version of the Note 3 is fine, variants from other carriers work fine, replacing AT&T files with OEM Samsung files solve the problem. That can only point to one thing, AT&T in their sloppiness when developing the AT&T ROM screwed something up. People should learn to realize that carriers, ALL carriers not just AT&T, put lots of crap on top of Samsung's ROM that sometimes result in glitches like this and should petition the carriers to stop adding their bloatware on our phones. If we just had vanilla Touchwiz a la the international version, we'd all have gotten KitKat a few weeks ago already. As it is, we have to wait for AT&T again to add their bloatware and test their bloatware for stability before releasing it to us. Something they should have done with this GPS fiasco before they started selling the phone on their network. PLEASE DO NOT LET AT&T SHIFT THE BLAME TO SAMSUNG. 

About Warranty Replacements:

They are sending you refurbished phones. Why would you trade your phone for a refurbished one? If you had bothered to read this thread you would have seen that a factory reset temporarily fixes the problem but it comes back in 24-48 hours and within this thread there have been people that have replaced their phones with new AND warranty replacement phones and the problem also exists in those phones. So what you've just done is traded in your phone for a refurbished one with the same problem. The problem won't show up right away but within a few days it'll emerge. Just like if you were to factory reset your phone.

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

I can confirm that T-Mobile does not have the same problem found on AT&T Note 3s. My father has one and his Note 3 works fine.

Scholar

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

Very well said @goldendrag0n.

I want to add a symptom that I've noticed on my note 3 in case others also see it. I still have my note 2 And a Verizon s4. I dont see this problem with either phone.. only note 3

In Google Maps, with GPS and WiFi location services on, after clicking the target icon to show my current location, (with no destination nor routing set), my location is accurate as indicated by the blue dot, with no light blue circle showing a possible inaccuracy.

However after about 2 seconds, the blue dot jumps to another location on the map. Sometimes 100 ft away sometimes 1000. This location has a huge light ble circle around my blue dot, leadinf me to believe it is a guess at my location via wifi or cell towers.

After another 2 seconds, the blue dot jumps back to that first location w no light blue circle.

The only way I can stop this cycling is to disable wifi location service. Then it uses the accurate gps location only.

Really weird and frustrating since im always out hiking and need to use the maps to see my surroundings.

Could possibly be related to the other main issue discussed in this thread...

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

Yeah, me too. I've never tried figuring out why but, yes, the location will often bump and move. Sometimes while driving it will have trouble deciding where I am and what direction I am moving. At home, I was amused one day to find that maps thought I was in my neighbor's house. 

Scholar

• 

102 Messages

10 years ago

Exactly! !!! Also I want AT&T to keep feeling (if they care) heat from majority Note 3 users that they messed up ALL Note 3 devices they sold. I believe that their is not one working GPS AT&T Note 3s . Some(I said some , not all)  owners have yet use GPS on their device or don't know know how a GPS works on their device correctly to see the problem .I just don't want issue to cool down with AT&T and I'm afraid if people stop complaining they won't have a sense of urgancy to release it. 

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Extremely frustrated with att concerning this. This phone is on a business account that we pay 1700 monthly for. I manage this account. I believe it's time to stop ignoring the calls from the verizon rep that is begging for our business.

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

10 years ago

The phone is fine.. It works after rooting. Verified on many fronts.

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

10 years ago

Dear AT&T,

Why don't you push out the original Android/Samsung 4.3 OS to us now. Once you figure out how to fix the problem, you can push out your editted version of the 4.3 OS OR the 4.4 OS with all your Apps attached to it.

Simple as that...

Sincerely,

All Galaxy Note 3 Customers

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

10 years ago

Petition has been updated to ask AT&T to push out working 4.3 OS to Note 3 users until they figure out fix.

Seems reasonable.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

So this just proves one thing.  They are not being honest with us all about what the patches are actually touching when they release a new patch for our phones.  

It also means that ATT is NOT testing there patches before they are released.  Just doesnt make sense that they dont test and delay releases!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.