The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

10 years ago

@ sonicthoughts    Hey,  don;t get mad at the poor guy (or gal) in customer service....   It is not thier fault!

The last time I talked to them,  I kept trying to get the guy to LOOK at the forum,  and he finaly admitted something,...    Ready for this??

"The Costomer Service Departments computers are  BLOCKED from being able to see the AT&T Forums or website."

... because.. you  know...  why would the customer service department need to know what the customers are saying or talking about.   thats just silly talk.....

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

10 years ago

@ Ranmaniac     Um..  I have two issues with what you just wrote..    and one kudos....

First the Kudos...  You are correct, and LOT of people put a lot of time and energy into makign this "magic" work...    I don;t think I have seen ANYONE on this thread say anything diragotory abut them.

Issue 1)  I thik many/most of us are EXTRA frustrated, becasue the ORIGINAL samsung GPS drives WORK! ..  until AT&T updates them to thier own....     This is why a "facotry reset" will "fix" the problem for 12 to 48 hours....

Issue 2)    Your comment "The process of hardware and/or software QA is far from a perfected science and even the best of testing departments can never get it right, 100% of the time because they can rarely envision enough real world scenarios to impliment proper testing. "

Um....  The GPS gets disconnected when you MAKE or RECIEVE a phone call.. on your phone....   Um..  kind of a "predictable"  thing to use your ...phone..   for....

Scholar

• 

102 Messages

10 years ago

^^^ I agree with all this. I do vent on here alot and is exactly from frustration .Customers that spends hundreds of dollars on a phone that is supposed to work properly will be upset if the product has a major flaws .Im I dont think its wrong to vent on forums as long as your language appropriate . What makes me upset that its only the AT& T variant thats not working .I tested Verizon's and T-mobile (have 2 friends that have em) and the GPS works great on both. I can overlook minor flaws (most phones have em) but not a major one with broken GPS. Weather apps,social apps, navigation apps, many other apps and operations that smartphone needs to work properly use the GPS .

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I recently bought the note 3 and never used the gps until recently.  I had also just bought a new car, and when I was having gps issues, thought it was something wrong with the car (interference).  I'm visiting a new town and am having unacceptable issues with the gps that are confirmed by this thread.  

Using waze, Google maps, etc my gps constantly drops.  I have resorted to holding the unit in my hand and turning off and on the gps to retain navigation.  It was even more frustrating that my wife, sitting right next to me, was able to waze/Google map flawlessly on her iphone 5.  We have switched to her tiny screen to be able to safely navigate by gps.  

I just did the latest software update, Tried factory reset, Uninstall ed and reinstalled all navigation apps.  I completely ran out of ideas.  If it weren't for this thread, I would have gone crazy thinking it was just me and not the phone.  I hope whatever the hardware/software issue is gets resolved quickly. 

Scholar

• 

102 Messages

10 years ago

^^^^ And does your wife poke fun at your phone and say something like this "You had to get that phone didn't you? !" OR..."if it was such cool phone it could at least tell you where your going ! " OR...and this is a good one my woman says if we're going somewhere " Lemme make sure I put the address IN MY IPHONE 5 so we don't get lost again! " Last but not least ......"So what was it about Apple you were saying? !" : | SMDH.

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

10 years ago

Are there other places on the web that people are troubleshooting this?

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

10 years ago

ibDanny - Everything seems easily predictable in hindsight but if you draw up a matrix of functionality of these phones, the combinations of various multitasking are approaching endless.  If the guy.gal devising the tests didnt have the foresight to think up enough common scenarios to warrant release, then a ball got dropped but the # of scenarios is vast.  One cant be expected to catch them all.  

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

10 years ago

Sadly enough I'm married to AT&T...  I need a GSM phone for periodic trips to Europe (That counts out Verizon & Sprint), a phone that typically works in rural areas, that counts out T-Mobile in this region, so all I can do is wait or root..  So if this KitKat update doesnt work, I suppose I will be taking the root plunge...

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

The test scenarios are vast but it didn't take QA testers or test enginers to discover the GPS issue. Unless a few users on this thread are in those professions. I'm with you with AT&T marriage deal. We're getting a big discount going through my wife's company. But now that she accepted a better job offer from a different company, i'm thinking of switching to Verizon after being with AT&T for a very long time. It's not just about the GPS problem either. But this GPS issue is killing me because I'm always on the road and need a reliable navigation. I just started using my old Galaxy S4 Active when traveling to a totally unfamiliar area. I thought about rooting my Note 3 but I shouldn't have to do this to a very expensive phone.

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

My wife does that to me constantly every time there's a glitch on my android phones. She's an Apple fangirl.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.