The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

The issue is most people are aware rooting the phone and replacing the
files fixes it... In fact well aware but they are also well aware rooting
your phone voids the warranty on your 800$ phone which is why it's an
unacceptable fix.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

10 years ago

@ psxsage I agree, it is an unacceptable solution...

...  but after three months, AT&T has not fixed the problem...   and since I did not figure out that the problem was as bad as it is until AFTER   it was too late to back out of my deal with AT&T for the phone...  (they kept having me factory reset, and swap out my phone)...    I HAD to do something.

I need the GPS to work..  and my work around has been to turn on my hotspot, and use my wifi Tab2  tablet as my GPS.    This system works..  but is a pain in the butt to set up every time...

I just could not wait any longer...  and had to move on.

The sad thing is,   all I am doing is putting the STOCK GPS  Drivers  BACK onto the phone, after AT&T changes them.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

Oh I get it and sympathize totally but some folks may not realize that the
above does in fact void your warranty and many folks are not willing to
give that up over GPS

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

And yeah lol... I was using a similar method with my Galaxy tab 3 although
it's through sprint so the Hotspot wasn't necessary.

Mentor

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

The warranty will be useless in a year anyway... so if your tech savy..root the phone and fix the files.  ATT will not and I repeat WILL NOT come up with a fix for this. They are just stringing you guys along so that you won't switch to TMobile and start renting phones with no down payment. But at least you will have  working GPS.  I have mine for sale on Ebay and its selling for 150.00....and no one wants it becaus they know it is garbage.  It's well publisized and documented that the NOTE 3 on the ATT network is garbage and KitKat is not going to fix it. 

They say "we are in negotiations" the only thing they are negotiating are worse case situations if people starting switching to TMobile for free and how it would hurt their bottom line...if it was done by the masses. They are playing the odds folks but I can tell you...they are not talking about a fix for the gps.  Whats done is done..they are aware of this thread they bring it to the "negotiations" and laugh at it because they know it's not getting fixed and they are banking that we will just complain about it on this thread with no action. 

Heck! they know most people who brought the phone don't even know it has gps let alone use it.  This is why they do what they do.  At any rate...root the phone fix the files and move on.  Save yourself the aggrivation next time and get off the ATT network and stop being the first inline to buy a newley released cell phone...The first batch is always the test batch.  Also stop buying phones for what they promise to do in the future as far as updates.  Buy the phone for what it can do now...not what it promises to do later on down the line, because promises were made to be broken...especially in corporate America.  This is why when you call the help line for tech support they are so good a apologizing...because they apologize so much it's like a sneez or a cough...nothing behind it..it's all mechanical and scripted.  At the end of the day they know the phone is garbage and they want you to just go away.

Scholar

• 

102 Messages

10 years ago

Even after after talking to an AT&T person that assist the company's president ...I'm beginning to loose hope . T Mobile wants to buy my contract out so I sign back with is sounding like the thing to do . Sad thing is I came from Tmob 2 yrs ago. Guess they want me to go back (AT&T) .

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Just started using my Note3 for Navi a couple months ago.  Issue confirmed several ways.  Sometimes becomes stable with toggling of GPS on/off, but only for a few minutes.  Local ATT corp store knows nothing about the issue.

Strange thing is - I've been using iphone since it was released and this is my first Android ever - I actually thought that all these types of phone issues were solved.  I was living inside the Apple bubble and did not know these issues actually existed on the outside.  I recall having similar problems (GPS, lockups, B/T, etc.) with the old HTC windows phones (which I used prior to iphone). 

Honestly, iphone works so well, that I never noticed these things and took GPS and other features for granted as a "solved" issue of our time.  I didn't realize other platforms were still struggling with "2005" type 10-15 year old issues.

I guess I'll wait it out until the iphone 6 is released and then go back to the bubble.

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

10 years ago

Latocha wrote:

I guess I'll wait it out until the iphone 6 is released and then go back to the bubble.

Um - it's not a general problem with all phones that aren't iphones 🙂

This is a specific software issue with this specific device. Which will (eventually) be resolved on the next update.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

Precisely and unlike something like say antenna gate which apple never
fixed it is fixed via an update. Software things happen all the time look
at iOS current issue with SSL vulnerability which is a far more serious
issue.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I understand that iOS also has issues, like SSL, etc., but from a lay person's perspective, the overt and common features of a smartphone just work on the iphone.  I never heard of any of my colleagues complain about such simple every day, every hour, use features like GPS.  I grant you the antenna issue wasy a bit annoying with even with antenna-gate, my bars were the same as the note3 without antenna issues.  There are many other annoyances which are Android specific (email, pictures, etc), which an iOS user simply doesn't think about.  Likewise, there are awesome features on Android simply not found on iOS.  I guess that was part of the allure to switch after being iOS for so long.

Nothing is perfect and I'm really getting to like the Note3, but basic features shouldn't be compromised...whether it's iphone or Android.

I also read on another forum that it's the actual GPS chip which is at fault....not ATT rom.  I've heard that the 4-4 units works well and all others will continue to have issues.  Let's see if Samsung/ATT agree after they release their update for this soon.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.