For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Explorer

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Yesterday, I had an interesting experience.  Durig my 80 mile drive, I didn't loose GPS once. However, after passing one of the locations I normally loose GPS, I started paying more attention.  It seems my phone never left 4G and went to LTE.  The entire trip, my phone stayed in 4G.  I dont know if AT&T was having an issue or if my phone was, but on the return trip, LTE lit up as normal, and I lots GPS everytime I switched. 

Does anyone know a way to prevent the phones from going into LTE.  When I'm driving, my requirements for high speed data are almost non existent.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

The only way jaalfaro is to put the phone is airplane mode. You will not have any cell signal but you will not lose gps. Your phone will basically become a standalone gps system. I have done this in bad cell service areas when I really needed the gps and didnt care about traffic updates or phone calls.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Why won't ATT even acknowledge they created this problem? It's clear if you read through these threads

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Appears we have only 3 options given what ATT has done:

By the way like many GPS is not a nice to have at this stage. It's a critical must work feature.

Option 1: wait for ATT to acknowledge its' their overlay software causing the GPB problem and then wait some more for them to fix it. Very bad precedence be reenforced by ATT suggests this is not very viable option.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

Option 2: Root the device; not great option on a $700 dollar device given root takes out of warranty

Option 3: Swith to TM since TM will pay ETF fees this might be the most viable option, hate to do it but ATT is giving no choice. Can others who have gone this route share experience?

Explorer

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Quick question as I'm totally unfamiliar with rooting.  My phone is my own, but my company forces me to have a security policy on it if I want to access work email which checks that my phone is not rooted.  So I can't root and keep it rooted.

So I'm wondering, can I root my phone and overlay the GPS files from the XDA thread, and then "unroot" my phone to get it back to stock without losing anything? 

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

My theory is AT&T is not doing anything and just trying to buy enough time to let the KK update come out  and hope it fixes the issue, or hope we will want to switch to the S5 and forget about the issue all together.

If we examine the last post from AT&T "AT&T and Samsung are actively investigating reports that some customers are experiencing issues with GPS on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. We will provide updates in this forum as we learn more about this issue." This is such a legalese worded cop-out, I am convinced that Mariana was told to post this, word for word. And what do you mean SOME? Every person I have meet (including the AT&T store managers and display units), that is still stock, has this issue. 

You notice how it says we are looking at the reports; not "We are working on finding the cause and working on a fix." So far there is NOTHING from AT&T that says they are really trying to fix this; and this is backed up by the responces from tech support many of us have received. It sounds more like AT&T & Samsung are trying to see if one can blame the other and pass the buck. I'm stil surpised they have not delted this thread to cover up the issue like normal.

This is exactly what happened with the iPhone 4 antenna issue, the Motorola Atrix music skipping issue and the original Captivate GPS issue to mention a few. When it came down to it NOTHING WAS EVER DONE until a class action lawsuit was made. Yes I'm very upset over this issue and really don't know if I am going to stay an AT&T customer or not over this. 

Mentor

• 

17 Messages

10 years ago

Yep, ATT wont do anything ... that's obvious now. It look like switching carriers is the only option if one really needs the GPS.

So assuming we do switch, T-Mobile appears to be the easiest and most affordable choice with the ETF and all.  Has anyone switch to TM?  What has been the experience?  I'm concerned about the coverage, not that I travel too far all that often, but side by side, will I actually loose connectivity next to an ATT/Verizon phone?  Connection being a basic cell signal, not network type (ie 4G or LTE).  For the most part, those connections dont mean much to me since I'm not streaming movies or anything of that capacity while driving.  

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

10 years ago

@ATTMarianaCM, what is the hold up? There's no need to investigate. Just produce results. Simple as that. <br><br>I agree here with others. I just got off the phone with an AT&amp;T CSM off of Facebook who sadly fed me a line of ***. Not sure if it was true but he gave it to me anyway. Told me that he has been researching the issue and spoke with Samsung to report it. Said Samsung told him to have us install "permissions manager" app and disallow permissions on location apps. So like the good samaritan I am I did just that. Well needless to say, nothing got fixed and it in fact, screwed up my phone for many minutes afterwards till I could go back and re allow the apps permissions. Not to mention, how does that fix the plugging and unplugging of the charger? <br><br>Anyway, I like this CSM, been dealing with for years on separate issues but I have to say, I'm really disinterested in dealing with ***! ! <br><br>@AT&amp;T, @att, @ChangeMe8 HEAR THIS! FIX THIS ISSUE NOW! THE LEGWORK HAS BEEN DONE FOR YOU! QUIT PUSHING IT ON THE OTHER GUY! VERIZON NOT T-MOBILE VERSIONS HAVE THIS ISSUE. IT IS YOUR PROBLEM! <br><br>GET PEOPLE INVOLVED WHO CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE AND FIX THINGS. Send this link anonymously, take a picture, write it down. DO WHATEVER YOU NEED TO BUT STOP LOLLYGAGGING AROUND AND SHOW US PROGRESS! <br><br>I'VE HAD JUST ABOUT ENOUGH OF THIS.... 😞

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Voyager

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Well.. I too am having the same dropped GPS issue with my Galaxy Note 3 AT&T issue. Get this fixed please, this is terrible.

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

10 years ago

Did you "me too" on the first post in this thread? Not that anyone at AT&T gives a rats you know what.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.