The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, again!

AT&T and Samsung are actively investigating reports that some customers are experiencing issues with GPS on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3.   We will provide updates in this forum as we learn more about this issue.    

I'd like to thank you again for providing the requested information; it's been very helpful.

-Mariana

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

10 years ago

Just wanted to note that once again while driving and all that was running was my navigation app it just lost signal. I got lost some what. Al most ended up in a bad area. There wasnt a cloud in the sky and my reception was clear.

Thanks!

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

10 years ago

One more observation - Not sure why I was so dense about this, because it has been said numerous times, but....

I am driving down the road and all of a sudden I lsot GPS lock.  I looked at my phone and I noticed I switched from LTE to 4G.  So, while I thought it was just getting a phone call (which aparently also causes the LTE to 4G switch), I can confirm when I move from LTE to 4G just driving arund and moving in and out of LTE coverage, the signal is lost.

So in summary, I see the issue:

-  When plugging power in and out

-  When my phone switches from LTE to 4G

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

10 years ago

@ms_unicorn - All you'd need to do is look at the exchange rate and reasoning behind then exchanges to see that I'm sure there are many more reported issues of this that haven't hit these forums. It's apparent that the fix that is applied does indeed work. Subsequently this could easily be corrected in a firmware revision.

Please push this up the ladder and vigorously follow up so that there will be even more satisfied customers using one of the best devices out there.

It would be a shame to get a bad rep over something that could easily be fixed.

Thanks,
A concerned AT&T customer.

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

10 years ago

Ok..    I have been trying to get more attention to this.. because...  um..  well..   this forum has:

1) Stated the problem.

2) Positvly identified the problem.

3) TESTED, to confirm the problem.

4) Found a solution.

5) TESTED the solution.  (Rooting/ replacing files)

The only thing we can not do, is acutaly do the soltion ourselfs, unless we are willing to void the warrenties on our $800 telephones.

This should be a VERY EASY  OTA (Over the Air) update,  which would not void our warenties.

90% of the work has been done!!!!!!!

Update on my end...

I wrote on the AT&T facebook page, talking about this problem....   I got a nice email back, saying they are looking into it....  and then...  the post gone?  and I can not find it on facebook anymore????

Explorer

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences as I was going crazy with this issue.  I've had the Note 3 since November and used GPS daily but only noticed this issue starting about 3 weeks ago.  I actually thought it had something to do with a new Qi receiver I installed on the battery and using a Qi wireless charger.  The battery can get very hot when charging wirelessly so I was afraid I had somehow damaged the hardware.  But I've been experiencing pretty much the exact same issue as everyone else so I'm hopeful AT&T will step up to the plate and fix this issue. 

Explorer

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

FEW my Note 3 is T# 4-2. Not 2-3 or 2-4

Explorer

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

@mrklaw Yeah do confirm for us that it doesn't come back in 24 or 48 hours. Again people on XDA have said this but none of them had explicitly stated that the problem never came back. So that there's no doubt in anybody's mind that this is an AT&T problem (looking at you AT&T) please confirm for us how flashing the International version of our Note 3's GPS files solved the problem and it never came back. Proving that had AT&T left those files alone when Samsung made them or had they done more testing, we wouldn't have this problem. And AT&T should hot fix this for us with an OTA like I've been saying. 

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

@goldendrag0n 

I can 100% confirm the GPS files fix the issue. My co-worker also has the phone and when I found out and showed him the issue, he was not happy. He decided to not wait for AT&T to find a fix and decided to use the files from XDA.

We verified the issue was there, rooted his phone (very easy process), verified the issue was still there, shut off GPS, made a backup of the old files, copied over the new files, verified premissions of the new files, rebooted the phone and the issue was gone instantly Since rooting did not do a factory reset and we verified the issue was there before replacing the files, we know for a fact that the files fixed the issue and the fix was not the temp 24hr factory reset thing.

It has been 38 hours since we did this and we just tested. The GPS issue is gone.

Plus there are these posts on XDA to verify the issue has been fixed

Original question:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=49765436&postcount=40

Can I ask 2 questions to those that have tired the fix. I asking people that had the issue were the GPS shuts off (icon disappears) when switching from 4G to LTE or to Wifi; and/or when you plug-in or un-plug the phone?

1. Is your gps still working correctly after 48 hours from doing the fix?
2. When you replaced the files, did you do a factory reset first/right after, or did you swap the files and see the fix working as soon as the files were replaced?

Here is my answer.
After applying the fix, the GPS icon is still on the notification when power is plugged in/out or switching 4G/4GLTE 

1. Yes it still works after 48 hours.
2. No need to do the factory reset. I just replaced the files and restarted my phone. The fix worked instantly after restarting. 

Responce 2 also verifying the fix: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=49801983&postcount=44

been using the fix that drakeymcmb shared and can confirm it works. 

thanks drakeymcmb!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.