For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

Btw, in case you dont know how to mark that you have the same issue. If not mistaken it can be found on the beginning of the post entered by BlackJack ||. It has a "Me too" button in there. Just click it to vote.

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

10 years ago

For me the trigger to losing signal is plugging power in.  Guaranteed, once the issue starts, plugging power in (and out) causes it to lost signal lock.

Here is what I did in the past.

-  Took the phone to an AT&T Service Location.  They reset the phone.  BTW the process for that is: (1)  Power the phone off.  (2)  Holding down Vol up, Home and Power till you see "booting recovery" in blue letters in the top left.  Then use vol down to go to factory reset and press the Pwr button as the "enter" key.  The phone will reset.

-  This worked for about a day, then the issue started again.

-  I got a replacement (my third now) and same issue.  Once I do a factory reset it works for anywhere between hours to a day then the pronmem starts again.

For me the problem manifests itself as follows:

-  Starts by taking longer than normal to lock.

-  Then plugging power in or getting a phone call makes it lose lock.

Yes toggline the GPS on and off reestablishes lock, but as soonas I apply power, signal is lost.

I hope this is a SW fix.  I am willing to wait.  If this is a HW problem, it's too late to get my money back.  I would need a HW replacement.  My 4th.

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

10 years ago

@james27007 wrote:

I had fun this afternoon, I stopped by 3 AT&T stores and asked to play with the display units. All of them had the GPS issue, even one of the manager's Note 3 had the issue. She was not too happy about that. 

Anyways, this is a wild goose chase but worth a shot. Some people are reporting that the T# 2-3 and T# 2-4 versions do not have the issue [EDIT question removed] it is confirmed below that the T# 2-3 and T# 2-4 has the issue

Where do you find this T#?

Mentor

• 

17 Messages

10 years ago

It doesn't make any difference, it's already been confirmed that all models have this issue.
--
Kirk

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@Blackjack II wrote:

Here is what I did in the past.

-  Took the phone to an AT&T Service Location.  They reset the phone.  BTW the process for that is: (1)  Power the phone off.  (2)  Holding down Vol up, Home and Power till you see "booting recovery" in blue letters in the top left.  Then use vol down to go to factory reset and press the Pwr button as the "enter" key.  The phone will reset.

This is the same as reset within the OS (phone booted normally) in Settings.  All a factory reset does is wipe user data (/data partition).

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

@Blackjack II wrote:

Where do you find this T#?

It is just to the right of the sim card (stamped into the plastic), but just like @kirk-icap said, we have confirmed with users here and on XDA, that people with the T# 2-3 & T# 2-4 have this issue.

Mentor

• 

17 Messages

10 years ago

An FYI for those listening -

I called ATT again today to confirm the case number (cm201******). I confirmed they (a network operations tech) will be calling me with an update sometime tomorrow afternoon (Jan 29th PDT).  I dont know what they will tell me, but I can only hope all the notes I've passsed on as well as this thread will lead them to some sort of resolution.  I've also told them countless times that all the hard troubleshooting work so many in this thread have done has in fact isolated the problem (ie, the specific GPS related files from the notes of goldendrag0n ) along with several others very detail troubleshooting efforts ( james27007 ).

I'll post the results of the conversation as soon as I hear from them.  

[edited for privacy]

Mentor

• 

17 Messages

10 years ago

ATT called me back ... and they closed the ticket and said "its not an ATT issue".  I absolutely lost my cool and blew my lid! 

I can't take this kind of incompetence and will be switching carries this weekend.

Good luck folks.

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

@kirk-icap wrote:

ATT called me back ... and they closed the ticket and said "its not an ATT issue".  I absolutely lost my cool and blew my lid! 

I can't take this kind of incompetence and will be switching carries this weekend.

Good luck folks.

WOW, just wow. And AT&T is wondering why they are constantly considered the worst in customer service in the industry and are losing customers left and right. This is why, right here. THIS IS AN AT&T ISSUE!!! If this was a Samsung issue, then why is the AT&T version the only one with this issue?

@ms_unicorn@ms_unicorn Are you really looking into this?

~~QUOTE~~

‎01-24-2014 07:46:19 AM

A big "Thank You" to everyone that PM'ed me with the requested location information. We are tracking the issue, and we'll be sure to let you guys know if we find a resolution.

-Mariana

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

TESTING COMPLETE - ISSUE RETURNED W/SIM CARD (22 Hrs)

It has been aprox 22 hours since I put the SIM card in and the GPS issue has returned. The FACT that the issue did not exist from 1/22/14 19:59 PST to 1/27/14 19:07 PST (which is the time frame that the SIM card was removed). And in less than 24 hours of putting the SIM card back in, the issue has returned makes it 100% clear this is an AT&T issue

One last test would be to get the new secured sim card. I think I may try that tomorrow and do a factory reset; why the heck not. I really don't want to root my phone, but I need my GPS... Decisions Decisions...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.