The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

What is the certainty that KitKat release will fix all this?? They could still send the update with the culprit file(s). 

One more thing I wanted to discuss, I've was an iPhone user before this. I'm aware rooting is like jailbreak for iphones. But, if this GPS problem is not taken care of by AT&T, i'll consider rooting my note.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

What does rooting mean? How does that effect support/warranty?

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Rooting is something more advanced users do to give them "super" or "root" access so that they can basically access/customize/change almost anything on their phone either by their own code or code other users have created.  

I honestly wouldn't even worry about rooting.  I have a heavy tech-background and find no need for it.  It's simply put, a very nit-picky thing to do to your phone if you really want to eek out and access the very depths and corners of your phone.  There are risks involved with rooting, and tampering with certain aspects of rooting can void warranties.  The average user, or even the above average user usually don't need to do it.

Although if you were interested in doing it and accept the risks, you'll be able to do amazing things with your phone that you can't if it was unrooted.  You'll also have access to apps in the playstore, some very powerful apps mind you, that only work if your phone is rooted.

Back to the subject:

GPS problems still running rampant, consistent with other users.  ATT, halp us.

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

Well I'm at the 25 hour mark since my last factory reset. The phone has been on the entire time, no sim card and no wifi. Just tested with the plug/unplug test with a full GPS lock (25/25 sats at 4meters) and it is working correctly. I'm going to leave the phone as is and test again in about 11-12 hours.

@ctjay84 true, there is no certanity that KitKat will fix the GPS, but people that have flashed the "leaked" AT&T update have not had any issues with GPS, but that is not 100% confirmed.

It would be nice if AT&T fixed the issue and came out with a maintenance update...

[Edit] removed 

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

@james27007 Yeah was gonna suggest you test it again at 36-48 hours and see. If we can confirm it working fine without an internet connection then we can narrow it down to some sort of update. I don't think it's an actual update like an app update, but probably some syncing thing the phone does around the 24 hour mark.

@brandonodang Yes the post that I linked to over at XDA, user superbfox already flashed the GPS fix and he says it works. Unfortunately you have to be rooted and Safestrap it so I haven't tried it. And there have been quite a few people who report that when they flash to the X-Note ROM the problem goes away too. I'm waiting on AT&T for the fix and only consider rooting and SS flash as my last resort.

You should consider heading over to the XDA forums and reading up on rooting. In layman's terms rooting is equivalent to gaining administrator privileges, it allows for you to install anything and everything, including different ROMs. ROMs are like all in one packages that change the look and feel as well as the operation of our phones. It's kinda like if you look at the HTC One, it looks and feel different as well as have different functions from our phone even though it runs 4.3 like us. Our Notes can use the stylus and the multi-window stuff because that's part of Samsung's TouchWiz ROM. So far the only other manufacturer that has copied the multi-window is LG with the dual-window feature on their LG G-Flex. So that's kinda what it is in a nutshell, although as mentioned earlier rooting does void your warranty. It's not as hard as it sounds with all the one-click available, my first root was back in the days with the OG Galaxy S Vibrant using adb, now that was a learning experience. But all the same, read very carefully and go very slowly. XDA is a wealth of knowledge and there are some very knowledgeable people there. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Yes!!  Me too!!

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

For everyone that has this problem dont forget to go to the first posing and hit the I have this problem to button.

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

A big "Thank You" to everyone that PM'ed me with the requested location information. We are tracking the issue, and we'll be sure to let you guys know if we find a resolution.

-Mariana

Mentor

• 

17 Messages

10 years ago

Joke:

Here's what ATT should do.  Hire a developer who's from out of town. Send him a Note 3 along with the address of his new office and tell him to navigate to his new office location.  Upon his arrival (which he'll certainly be late and frustrated), ask him "what would to like to fix first?". 

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

At the 37-38 hour mark since factory reset, GPS still working perfectly when plugging unplugging the phone. I'm going to leave the sim card out, if it still works at 48 hours, I'll let the phone connect to WiFi but no sim and not signing into anything. I'm expecting that it will download the A-GPS data over wifi and within 12-24 hours after letting the phone connect to WiFi, the issue will return. We'll see.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.