The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

UPDATE: I've NEVER turned off power saving on my note 3 as it came enabled by default (and with the insane high specs I've never needed that extra power yet)however last night I was benchmarking the phone so I shut it off...forgot to re enable it this morning and viola no GPS issues what so ever in a 1+ hour commute. Will re test on the commute home later and see if it works twice and wasn't just dumb luck. But I wonder if this applies to anyone else since at least my note 3 came with it enabled by default and i've never seen a reason or need to disable it till recently.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

P.S this commute also involves SEVERAL switches between 4G and LTE.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

Should also mention no charger was Connected phone was on battery power and has all the most recent updates.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

My GPS issues are the same as some in this thread.  My issue is the issue where it always locks up the app that I am using for navigation at the same places in the town I live in.   Then I lose GPS connection.  I have to close the app and start it back up.  It is still working and still navigating.  I have done the clear/reset of data for the app work well for a few days then GPS issues are back again.  Opening a ticket now...

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

CONFIRMED: Just took the 1+ hour ride home same route that always has issues and left power saving Disabled and GPS was never lost even with constant 4G LTE switching.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

UPDATE!!  After the reset last night the GPS worked.  I kept checking it throughout the night.  I kept plugging/unplugging the charger, cycling airplane mode on and off, and turning the Wifi on and off to get the cell towers to change (Im on the edge of LTE and 4G towers).  While in the middle of turning the wifi off, turning the gps on, and plugging it in the GSP issue came back.  Looking back on when the issue came back the other day, I was plugging it in, turning the GPS on (to start Tomtom), and at the edge of my wifi coverage.

My theory is when the radio is changing, the program that controls it is being corrupted and can only be fixed with a factory reset.  

I did another factory reset (GPS issue resolved) and will try not to plug it in when the wifi/gps in turning on/off or turn the gps on/off while turning the wifi on/off 

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

@nicman That sounds plausible, because when it happened last night for me it was after I'd left my house since I've reset it the second time, I had both WiFi and GPS on when I left. I'm low on my data plan now so won't be able to test with a reset and leaving WiFi off altogether, do you have enough left on your data plan to test leaving WiFi off for a few days after a reset?

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

@psxsage I highly doubt that's it. I don't know why your phone comes with Power saving mode enabled by default, our brand new phones don't, not out of the box. Out of the box it has a setting enabled within it that will turn itself on at 20% battery regardless if it was enabled before. That setting is set default out of the box but Power saving is never enabled default out of the box. And I even turn off the 20% thing because there isn't an option to change at what % it kicks in, default is 20% and this phone even at 20% will still last quite a while so I find it annoying when it super dims my screen at 20%. Try the plug/unplug test, you don't have to be going anywhere, you can just be sitting at home with Google Maps open or any navigation app that you normally use. And simplest way to test the network switch is to call your phone then hang up after it rings with Google Maps open. Your phone will go from 4G LTE provided you're in LTE coverage area to 4G when your phone rings.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

Not sure in your case (and my phone was new By the way bought it outright) but in my case the power saving on My first (and new replacement) was enabled by default once i shut it my GPS now works flawlessly.  I'm sure it's NOT the case for everyone but in my case it now works without a hitch.

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

Same here, power saving was off (but the auto on at 20% was on). I had that off before the last reset, and guess what, GPS issue came back. 5th phone is on it's way. AT&T is willing to give me a different type of phone. Sorry, not good enough becasue there is nothing close to the Note 3. I guess I'll keep replacing it. Plus when the OTA update comes out, I still want to have my Note 3

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.