For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Dr_Bop's profile

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

Thursday, December 26th, 2013 7:20 PM

S3, v4.3 - Contacts not syncing with Google

I have seen this elsewhere but not with my particular problem.

I have Samsung, stock, updated to 4.3 from AT&T, non-rooted.

Everything has worked fine until, probably, a couple of days ago.  I updated two contacts in google from my PC.  I sync'd to my Nexux 7 with 4.4 and it is fine.  In sync the S3 and all elements sync (app data, calendar...) except contacts.  The updates made on google from PC do not come down to the phone and the sync does not complete.

I exported all contacts, deleted everything, tried to sync and nothing came down (all other syncs are fine).  I imported my contacts back.  Everything is fine on google through browser and on Nexus 7.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Fixed.  This seems to be a somewhat common problem.

1.  Export current contacts to SD or safe storage just in case.

2.  Go to Settings -> Accounts -> Google -> Select your account -> Removing the tick from the Contacts Sync if you can but if not, don't worry

3.  Go to Settings -> Apps -> Scroll to "All" tab, Find "Contacts", Click Force stop and Clear Data
4.  Settings -> Apps -> Scroll to "All" tab, Find "Contacts Storage", Click Force stop and Clear Data

5.  Reboot the phone

6.  Go into Contacts and if you are quick you will see things populating.  You can also wait a minute and everything will be there.  I then tried a sync and it worked just fine.  I would keep the exported file for a while, just in case but you will not need it.

sf

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Update:  I also updated a contact on my Nexus 7 running the latest (4.4.2).  I saved that and it sync'd to google.  I do see the change I made from the Nexus when I look at google from my web browser.  I do not see it on my phone.  Again, the sync on the phone does not complete for contacts but I can manually sync everything but the contacts.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

This worked for me with the addition of 1 thing: if you turn off Contacts syncing, you have to turn it back on.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have two Samsung Galaxy S3 phones.

Although this seems to be the most common solution for those having the contact syncing problem, it does not correct my situation.  After upgrading to Android 4.3 the sync of contacts on 1 of my phones gets a sync error.

It stops with a message   -   Last synced on 01/23/2014 3:15 PM  (the date of the upgrade) 

After clicking Cancel Sync, it states Sync is currently experiencing problems.  It will be back shortly.

If I click Sync Now again, it will sync the calendar and fail with the above stated message.

Is my problem different than the others documented in the various Forums?

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

My situation occurred after teh 4.3 upgrade too.  However, the procedure, with the addition of turning syncing back on, solved my problem.  I am currently running 4.3 and it is syncing normally.

fyi

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I'm up to 4.4.2 Galaxy s3. My problem probably started when i updated to 4.3. But nevertheless the solution above did not work for me. I went to setting>accounts>google and in addition to the above check and uncheck the contact syncing, but syncing stops midway (and the little round syncing icon stops rotating. I made the mistake of not saving the account before removing it and reinstalling it losing a lot of my contacts. help 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

This did not work for me to sync my gmail contacts back into the phone until I went in and turned off the Facebook sync.  I still have not yet turned sync for Facebook back on but I did get all my gmail contacts back and that is what I needed.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Problem still not solved

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.