Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Sep 1, 2014
1:34:05 PM
View profile
S3 4.4.2 Update Issue - Music Player Broken

The other day I performed the prompted over the air update to 4.4.2 for my S3, and was able to get most things working normally, after figuring a few changes out. I seem to have one showstopper issue remaining (I hope just this one).

I regularly listen to a wide variety of off-line podcasts, audio news, ebooks, etc. and the audio player now functions very erratically, if at all, following the update. The device freezes up / lags in responding to screen input / controls, restarts tracks unpredicatbly, skips foward or back to to new tracks unpredictably, or won't play at all (the normal case). It simply is unusable. As I rely on this heavily, I tried looking for an alternative player application. I installed BeyondPod, but it appears to display similar issues, so I assume this is not a bug in either app, but in some common library, driver, decoder, API, or something else that is part of the updated platform.

I did some browsing in other android forums and many people seem to report a range of issues post update, a few noting the music player doesn't work.

Does anyone else have this experience? I can't imagine my situation is in any way unique.

What are my options to resolve this? If this takes any lenth of time to resolve (i.e. more than a day or two) I would like to reverse my update somehow, as this is basic device functionality for me that I regularly and heavily use.

I trust posts to this forum are sufficient to have this issue treated as an 'open case' that AT&T will help me resolve, and that I'm not further required to call AT&T support / customer service about this.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

The other day I performed the prompted over the air update to 4.4.2 for my S3, and was able to get most things working normally, after figuring a few changes out. I seem to have one showstopper issue remaining (I hope just this one).

I regularly listen to a wide variety of off-line podcasts, audio news, ebooks, etc. and the audio player now functions very erratically, if at all, following the update. The device freezes up / lags in responding to screen input / controls, restarts tracks unpredicatbly, skips foward or back to to new tracks unpredictably, or won't play at all (the normal case). It simply is unusable. As I rely on this heavily, I tried looking for an alternative player application. I installed BeyondPod, but it appears to display similar issues, so I assume this is not a bug in either app, but in some common library, driver, decoder, API, or something else that is part of the updated platform.

I did some browsing in other android forums and many people seem to report a range of issues post update, a few noting the music player doesn't work.

Does anyone else have this experience? I can't imagine my situation is in any way unique.

What are my options to resolve this? If this takes any lenth of time to resolve (i.e. more than a day or two) I would like to reverse my update somehow, as this is basic device functionality for me that I regularly and heavily use.

I trust posts to this forum are sufficient to have this issue treated as an 'open case' that AT&T will help me resolve, and that I'm not further required to call AT&T support / customer service about this.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 1, 2014 3:37:19 PM
(0)
Mentor

@rmartin42  Have you tried doing a full device reset after updating to 4.4.2?  Not a convenient option but if you have something on the device that is conflicting with the new update, good way to confirm.  Assuming you're using a Google account with your device, everything should be backed-up and associated with your account.  If you do reset the phone, try the minimum configuration before you add your google account (if possible).

Accepted Solution

S3 4.4.2 Update Issue - Music Player Broken

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 1, 2014 3:37:19 PM
(0)
Mentor

@rmartin42  Have you tried doing a full device reset after updating to 4.4.2?  Not a convenient option but if you have something on the device that is conflicting with the new update, good way to confirm.  Assuming you're using a Google account with your device, everything should be backed-up and associated with your account.  If you do reset the phone, try the minimum configuration before you add your google account (if possible).

Re: S3 4.4.2 Update Issue - Music Player Broken

2 of 5 (1,135 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2014 5:40:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

rmartin42 wrote:

Nope - this isn't an AT&T support forum, it's a "Community" forum - where people help each other (and sometimes, AT&T folks step in.)

If you want to actually have an open issue with AT&T, you should call in (611) and report the issue.

Aside from that, as a user like you, who has done many firmware updates on many Android devices, I can confirm that the best way to deal with a major update is to do the "factory reset" after the update - this usually will clear up any odd behavior caused by the update.

IMPORTANT: you'll need to make sure your data is fully backed up, since this will erase everything on the device. Samsung's Kies does a decent job of backing up/restoring your data, you should at least do a full backup via Kies first.

rmartin42 wrote:

Nope - this isn't an AT&T support forum, it's a "Community" forum - where people help each other (and sometimes, AT&T folks step in.)

If you want to actually have an open issue with AT&T, you should call in (611) and report the issue.

Aside from that, as a user like you, who has done many firmware updates on many Android devices, I can confirm that the best way to deal with a major update is to do the "factory reset" after the update - this usually will clear up any odd behavior caused by the update.

IMPORTANT: you'll need to make sure your data is fully backed up, since this will erase everything on the device. Samsung's Kies does a decent job of backing up/restoring your data, you should at least do a full backup via Kies first.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 5 (1,118 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2014 4:56:10 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for the advice. I will try the reset this weekend and see if that fixes things. I will post an updated here regardless of success or failure.

Thanks,

Rob

Thanks for the advice. I will try the reset this weekend and see if that fixes things. I will post an updated here regardless of success or failure.

Thanks,

Rob

4 of 5 (1,079 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2014 9:16:21 AM
(0)
Contributor

Sorry to have gone silent. It took me a while to make time to do a factory reset, as I haven't done one before and wanted to make sure I wasn't starting something I'd regret. I did this late last week, and it seems to have resolved my issues completely. It did take several hours to completely reconfigure my phone, but it was an opportunity to change a few other aspects of configuration, so I am better off than I was before. I will be more comfortable trying this next time to resolve mysterious issues.

Thanks to those of you who suggested this.

Sorry to have gone silent. It took me a while to make time to do a factory reset, as I haven't done one before and wanted to make sure I wasn't starting something I'd regret. I did this late last week, and it seems to have resolved my issues completely. It did take several hours to completely reconfigure my phone, but it was an opportunity to change a few other aspects of configuration, so I am better off than I was before. I will be more comfortable trying this next time to resolve mysterious issues.

Thanks to those of you who suggested this.

5 of 5 (1,026 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments