The Samsung Galaxy S24
Snooterpoot's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, December 21st, 2017 4:46 AM

I cant send or receive MMS messages?

I recently switched from Verizon to AT&T for wireless services.  I elected to keep my Samsung Galaxy S6; Verizon doesn't lock it's smartphones, so that wasn't a problem.

The native texting app on my phone is Verizon's proprietary app so, of course, it doesn't work on the AT&T network.

I have tried a couple of different texting apps, currently using Textra, but I am not able to send or receive MMS messages.

Is there a setting that I can change, or should I take my phone to the AT&T store for assistance?

Thank you for your help.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

6 years ago

Not really. Verizon branded Android devices usually never work with MMS on the AT&T network. It's because of the way they integrate Messsages+ into the ROM. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

6 years ago

Using a 3rd party app should work and it’s the solution others used successfully with the galaxy line of phones.  

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you for the reply.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you for your response.  It looks like I might be out of luck, because none of the third party apps I have tried will send or receive MMS messages.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Verizon using CDMA tech vs ATT using GSM is your issue. Even unlocked the the doesn't mesh together. MMS always uses carriers signal even if you're on wifi. If the Verizon phone can't utilize the technology or frequency bands, it will never work despite anything anyone says.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you. It looks like I'll have to replace my Galaxy S6 to have the
functionality I want.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I had a similar problem, and an (otherwise very good) at&t employee at a store concluded Verizon is probably including firmware to prevent some functionality. But I discovered a solution which works for me (Verizon S7 G930V).
In the end, I can use MMS and get 4G LTE service (at least the symbol appears in the status bar).

Input into your phone's Access Point Names the following information from this post:

Name - PTA

APN - pta

Proxy - Leave Blank

Port - Leave Blank

Username - Leave Blank

Password - Leave Blank

Server - Leave Blank

MMSC - http://mmsc.mobile.att.net

MMS Proxy - proxy.mobile.att.net

MMS Port - 80

MCC - 310

MNC - 410

Authentication Type - Leave Blank

APN type - default,mms,supl,hipri

Bearer - Leave Blank

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I had the same problem with Samsung Messages app (unable to send images via text or very slowly downloading incoming text messages with images), switching a Galaxy 6S Verizon to the AT&T network.  I finally downloaded the Google Messenger app on the Samsung 6S and it seems to work now.  

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

@jv115544239 AT&T doesn't allow my iPhone 7 to make any changes. They have to do it all.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

HA!!.. thanks for the MMS info.. i have been trying to get my blackberry keyone on AT&Ts FIRSTNET to send/receive MMS.   AT&T technical support on several calls due to issues with Sim cards and transfer of service to Firstnet and  after setting up my Firstnet black Sim card told me that I woiuld not be able to use mms with my blackberry model, That i would have to purchase their Firstnet ready model for it to work... lo and behold ... i used and manually input the MMS data portion below..(kept my FirstnET info for name, port etc.. and it works!!!!  i am now able to sned/recieve MMS....  I think they just wanted me to buy their phone, since on my last call i told them i had a blackberry keyone (unlocked GSM) i acquired on my own...  tech support setup everything else, but the MMS section... they walked me through it and said that is all i needed...it wasnt till after i told them.. "let me check/test my MMS" before we hang up to test previous issues with MMS... after failure, it was then they told me I would have to get "Their" device..because 99% of times mms wont work with Blackberry....   Tech support advised me that my blackberry was not a Firstnet capable device.. which is not true and i advised him of this.. and told him i had had same discussion with a few other AT&T reps and then pointed them to the list of devices that come up in the FirstNet devices for purchase. I told them, there are two filters to turn on.. one is "Firstnet Ready", the other is "FirstNet capable"... when capable is selected.. the Blackberry Keyone is one of the devices available for purchase under AT&Ts FirsTnet plan.  BBB100-1 model..  i can say everytme i mentioned this and person on the other line after a pause and search on their end, had nothing further to say...  anyways.. jsut wanted to confirm for any FirstNet (AT&T) customers having issues with MMS and Blackberry that is works with combination of Firstnet APN settings and adding the ATT MMS proxy info...  I can only confirm this on the Blackberry.. hopefully they allow the Key2 at some point in the near future...  Thanks..

MMSC - http://mmsc.mobile.att.net

MMS Proxy - proxy.mobile.att.net

MMS Port - 80

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.