The Samsung Galaxy S24
jbolanos66's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, September 25th, 2016 8:20 PM

Closed

Latest Galaxy S6 Edge update draining battery

The latest update that was pushed to my device on 9/23 is draining my battery to the point where the phone is almost unusable. The highest battery consuming app is listed as Android OS. When can I expect a bug fix for this issue?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

I didn't go to Best Buy last night because I somewhat found a temporary "solution". I just keep my phone as Safe Mode. I still get call, text (so laggy), and Facebook notification from internet browser (not from App). Some things I noticed that I don't get any email unless when I disable the Safe Mode which makes my phone heats up again in no minute!! So for a while, I will not operate third-party apps. I haven't try Google maps and I wonder if it works, since I'm going on a vacation and going to get lost easily haha! 

Anyway, yesterday I disabled my Safe Mode around 7PM and the battery drops again along with the heat. So I had to switch it back to Safe Mode. 

I'm thinking, I want to go to best buy and see if they can help me tonight. I was going to do it last night but got so busy so Safe Mode is good enough. I think with this problem, I could imagine Samsung has to release a new bug fix or whatever updates for the last update. I wonder if this happens only to AT&T carrier though? A friend of mine who has Sprint doesn't have problem with this.... 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I went to Best Buy last night and the Samsung rep had me backup via Smart Switch to my SD card. Then factory reset. Then restore from the backup. Unfortunately for me my SD was encrypted and I could not access the backup (that's my fault).
The factory reset did fix the issue. Today my phone exchange is running lime before. I did restore all the apps from the backup image had in my Google account, which was only a couple of days old. I don't mind having to set everything back up though. 
Just posting what I did. Not saying that this should be the fix. Samsung and/or AT&T should address this since it seems to be happening to a lot of people. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

Samsung screwed up the gear vr update from the looks of it.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

Uninstalling the Occulus apps seems to be the answer. Be sure to restart your phone after you uninstall.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

See this forum from Oculus on how to get an updated version working without battery issues.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/43310/latest-update-has-oculus-home-restarting-constantly-interfering-with-other-apps-and-eating-battery

Spoiler: Uninstall Oculus VR then Oculus Rooms in that order. Redock to your Gear VR and reinstall.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Sorry guys, but I don't have Occulus installed, so that fix won't work for me. I'm still experiencing the issue regardless of what I do. I've turned off Bluetooth, wi-fi calling, etc. Nothing I do impacts the fast battery drain.

I'm considering doing a factory reset, but this should really be addressed by AT&T since it seems to be a bug that they've introduced. Please remove the resolved status from this thread as it is still an issue for some of us.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Okay.  It looks like Oculus VR was the issue for me as well so big thanks for posting that.  

While trying to fix this issue, I came across a few other items that were apparently reset on my S7 edge during the update as well.  This might help others like jbolanos66 above.

These are the changes I had to re-apply in Settings:

- Under More connection settings - Set Nearby Device Scanning to OFF

- Under WiFi - More - Advanced - Set Network Notification to Off, Set Hotspot 2.0 to OFF, Set connect to AT&T wifi to OFF

- Under Display - Set Smart Stay to OFF (not sure if this was this was this update or not)

- Under Notifications - Many of my applications were set to ON, so I had to go back through the list and set many back to OFF (this can keep the phone from sleeping)

Also, not related to the update, but under Display make sure that you are not using Always On Display or that it was not re-set to On. That will kill your battery life.

After making all of these changes, I have been using my phone heavily this morning and after 4hrs and 11 minutes on battery I am still estimated to have 14hr 17 minutes remaining which I am pretty happy with. Android System is now consuming only 16% of my battery life compared to 59% yesterday.

Thanks again!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for the tips, Wicked. I just updated my settings based on your
recommendations and I'm hoping that works!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for the tips, Wicked. I just updated my settings based on your
recommendations and I'm hoping that works!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.