For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
LiveEstate's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Tuesday, October 11th, 2016 8:36 PM

How does Note 7 recall affect upgrade eligibility?

If I turn in my new replacement Note 7 does the phone I pick become permanent or is it temporary? Will I be eligible for the next model right away? I held off upgrading for 6 months until the Note 7 was available. It is the perfect phone besides the recall issue. Now I'm asked to downgrade. I would like the option to upgrade when a new phone is available, otherwise I'm tempted to keep this one.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

@wolfkingenWhat you said  "Samsung would do a lot of good will if they announced a program for those of us who are in this position where we would be eligible for trade-in with no additional financial responsiblity as soon as the new Note 8s or S8's were available." was the point I was trying to get at.

All of the current phones available now or soon including the new LG and Google phones are downgrades to the amazing Note 7 we waited for. If I wanted a S7 Edge I would have bought it then! The S8 is the only comparable product. If I pick a S7 Edge now, then my next plan starts over and I miss getting the new release in Spring. I will commit to buying one, if they commit to letting me get one without penalty. That's why I would risk keeping my Note 7 until that trade in is an option. Then my only worry is Samsung remotely turning it off at any time.

I want to stay loyal to Samsung and AT&T, but I want the next Sammy phone option program.   

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

@LiveEstate wrote:

@wolfkingenWhat you said  "Samsung would do a lot of good will if they announced a program for those of us who are in this position where we would be eligible for trade-in with no additional financial responsiblity as soon as the new Note 8s or S8's were available." was the point I was trying to get at.

All of the current phones available now or soon including the new LG and Google phones are downgrades to the amazing Note 7 we waited for. If I wanted a S7 Edge I would have bought it then! The S8 is the only comparable product. If I pick a S7 Edge now, then my next plan starts over and I miss getting the new release in Spring. I will commit to buying one, if they commit to letting me get one without penalty. That's why I would risk keeping my Note 7 until that trade in is an option. Then my only worry is Samsung remotely turning it off at any time.

I want to stay loyal to Samsung and AT&T, but I want the next Sammy phone option program.   

Feel free to approach Samsung with that.  But it would be up to then to buy out your ATT Next installments.  

Why does no one seem to understand how Next installments works?  You are paying retail price on a phone divided into monthly payments.    Paying for the phone is not a "penalty".    You can still upgrade to the GS8 in March.   But you have to pay off the Next installments at least to the upgrade date.  

Maybe it's time to go completely like the Europeans buy phones.  Full price like prepaid.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Then all carriers and phone distributors would lose money. Then where would you spend all of your time, if not on an internet forum playing the role of high & mighty?

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

@dstonejr

They are already.   When installment plans were introduced, phone sales slowed down.  When ATT and Verizon dropped contracts,  sales of new phones dropped dramatically for all phones and all carriers.  

This was not only expected and predicted, it is welcomed.  Carriers have been subsidizing phones for years to their detriment.  

Lets look at T-mobile.   4 years ago their coverage map was about the size of Sprints.  Now it's closer to ATT's.  How?  They dumped contracts 4 years ago.  Relieving themselves of subsidies has allowed them to put capital into their network and are expanding at a rate neither ATT or Verizon could for its size.  

Manufacturers:

Apple is struggling to keep its sales figures up.  They boosted the iPhone 7 sales figure by sponsoring the $650 trade in offer in September.  

Heaven knows the number 2 brand has taken a beating this year.  

All manufacturers are forced to offer the best quality to tempt customers.  Picking up the new offers with freebies or sponsoring 2 for one offers.

We do NOT have to spend $650 +. 

The market is seeing more good, bargain priced phones for US carriers than ever.  In the past these phones were only sold in Europe.   I have purchased at least 8 phones in the past 2.5 years and none were from ATT.  

Amazon has several good phones for $200 or less.

ebay, gazelle, swappa are selling more each year.  

Where would I spend my time?  This forum is here to provide information.  Not to stroke egos.   Not to benefit ATT.  It's here for customers.  I have a strong sense of what is fair and right.  I realize that's a challenge for some people.

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

8 years ago

Good question. This is exactly why returning the replacement Note 7 at this point to take another phone is a downgrade IMO. The Note 7 is my first ever Android device and it's been great. I do not want another iPhone. The S7 Edge is the option I'd have to choose but with the S8 expected to be announced in the first quarter of 2017 it's forces me to take that phone and put money down to be eligible for the S8 when it is available. I know it's not AT&T's fault that the Note 7 is recalled but I feel like an accommodation needs to be made in this case for Note 7 adopters. I hope AT&T came come up with a solution for Note 7 adopters.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

You are getting a full refund and $100 on top to stay with Samsung.  In March, you can sell the GS7 Edge for about 2/3 of its retail and buy the GS8 Edge.  I'm sure Samsung will sweeten the pot, but that is out of The control of the carriers.

It would be nice if Samsung made a gesture now, but we can't make them.  

I moved away from Samsung last year and bought a Nexus 6p, just sold it and ordered a Pixel.  

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

My husband and I are both still having to continue using our Notes 7s because even though Best Buy contacted AT&T and had them to reverse the upgrades for our lines, the eligibility has not been corrected to allow us to process a new upgrade for another phone.  I have been trying for days to get this sorted out, but I have not had any success so far.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thus the reason I left ATT their customer service has been HORRIBLE. I'm
sure if you would've gone to the corporate store it would have been an easy
exchange. However, I've asked them to correct my account and insisted on
NOT giving credit for the time lost. Over it I have moved on to another
provider. Good Luck!!!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

lizdance40
Oct 16, 2016 12:33:41 PM

ACE - Expert
You are getting a full refund and $100 on top to stay with Samsung.  In March, you can sell the GS7 Edge for about 2/3 of its retail and buy the GS8 Edge.  I'm sure Samsung will sweeten the pot, but that is out of The control of the carriers.

It would be nice if Samsung made a gesture now, but we can't make them.  

Samsung may not have made an open public gesture, but I had an online chat with them. As of NOW there is no expiration date on the refund and $100 rebate. Unless that changes I can power down my Note 7 for safety, utilize an older back up phone until the S8 is released, then return my Note 7 for refund and apply the $100 discount for staying with Samsung. Even if the $100 offer expires at least I'm not trapped into purchasing a phone today at full retail price.

I think they realize it's worth $100 to keep a sale next year than to have current customers jump to Apple, Google, or anyone else with a good chance they may never come back to Samsung again! This is the type of solution I have been seeking. I wish Samsung would officially make a statement, just like you said.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

@LiveEstate

I get what your saying.  My concern is if the recall ends before March you're out $850, rather than just $75.  The original offer of a $25 courtesy rebate is given to all customers no matter what phone they get.  The additional $75 is for sticking with Samsung.  

Returning the Note now guarantees you get your $850, tax and assesories refunded.  Don't know what the future olds yet.

Just cover yourself.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.