For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
paul_in_nj's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Tuesday, January 19th, 2016 3:51 PM

Galaxy S6 Edge Plus bluetooth loses connection during call

I recently upgraded to an S6 Edge plus about 10 days ago.  I paired this with my 2013 Honda Pilot and everything was working great.  I received a software update for the phone over the weekend and now I have the same problem that I had with my old S4.  The issue is that when you are on a call and the handsfree is connected in the car, the bluetooth connection will drop and the phone will go into handset mode.  After about 5-10 seconds it will then reconnect.  It will continue to do this multiple times during the call.  This is a huge safety issue and is also a giant pain.   I had the same issue with my S4 after the lollipop upgrade.  This is a lollipop issue that needs to get fixed.  I am hoping someone has an idea how to fix this.  I have searched the web and have seen the Unpair/Pair, clear the cache and reset to factory suggestions all with limited success.  If I can't get this to work the phone will be going back.  I use this for business and it is mandatory that the bluetooth work.

-Paul

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

Ok folks so here is an update.  After wading though piles of posts I came across one that I had not seen before so I figured I would try it.  

Here is what I have tried so far:

1) power cycle the phone (turn off and then on)

2) delete and re pair the phone to bluetooth connection in car (by the way this deletes all your contacts stored in your car but not in the phone)

3) cache clearing exercise

None of these worked.

This is the one I came across last night.

4) You must be in the car and the car must be on.

a) Settings - bluetooth

(I had to go and configure this so it was one of the default settings you see on the settings screen),

b) Next to the Hands Free link entry is a settings icon select that

c) Turn off Contacts and phone log

(you want just this entry turned off and the call audio and media audio turned on)

(I had to do this several times until just that entry was turned off)

I then made several calls each lasting 10-15 minutes and had no drops.  Maybe I was just lucky.  I am going to watch this for a day or so and then I will update the post.  I have not looked closely at what I am missing by turning this setting off but I would assume by its name that I will not be able to browse my phone contacts and call logs via the car.  This is an inconvenience but not a show stopper for me. There is definitely something broken in the bluetooth implementation in lollipop. I am keeping my fingers crossed here

-Paul

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

Update 2

Well sometimes you get lucky and sometimes it's false hope and the latter is what we have here.  The car ride home yesterday was not good as a matter of fact the behavior was kind of comical.

I opened up the bluetooth settings tab to watch what was going on and what I saw just made me laugh.  I went to the page that shows the settings for the active connection (in my case HandsFreeLink).  The phone was now turning each of the options on and off and kept repeating this.  I looked at the display on the dashboard and I would see the phone connect/disconnect repeatedly.  I could not get this to stop.  I took the phone and dialed a number from one of my stored contacts and the call went through but I could not stop the phone from cycling between handset mode and bluetooth. I ended up dropping the call turning off the bluetooth.  At this point the radio came back on.  I turned this off and re-enabled the bluetooth on the phone. I re dialed the previous number and the bluetooth connected.  However about 1 minute later it dropped the call and then re-acquried it.  No fix in sight.  Thats a shame.  But I will be going into the phone store and asking them to credit my account back for the monthly payment ~30 bucks until they fix this problem.   I would spend more time on this if I had not seen the exact same issue when I upgraded my S4 to lollipop.  It is clear this is an OS level issue with lollipop unless my S4 bluetooth broke and my vehicle bluetooth broke simultaneously along with the thousands of other folks with the same problem.  My next test will be to pair this phone with my portable GPS that has bluetooth and see if that exhibits the same problem.  That may take a day or so since I have a full time job besides being a trouble shooter for Samsung. This is getting frustrating!

PS If I get a chance I might try and post a video of the phone toggling the settings.  That would make a funny youtube video.

-Paul    

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

Update 3 

So I have waited to post this reply for over a week now.  We were going to get snowed in in NJ and I was going to have some time on my hands so I bit the bullet and restored back to the factory settings after backing up all my photos music ringtones etc.  Most of the apps and other stufff is stored up in the cloud so this was not as big of a deal as I thought.  Anyway this fixed the strange toggling problem I was having.  It also seems to have fixed the dropping problem.  I have only seen 1-2 drops over the entrire week and it only occurred once during a call so I am not sure what happened there.  So do we chalk this up to a corrupted software download??  I am not sure but I can tell you what I did.  

After resetting back to the factory settings and then re-entering my email id the apps started downloading to the phone.  I pretty much let the phone sit there for over 2 hrs until I was sure that everything came down.  At this point everything seemed to be working as expected.  I tried several calls via the bluetooth and they were fine.  I have used the phone now for over a week and besides those couple of drops it has been perfect.  

When I paired with my car I did notice that I now have 3 Home numbers when I use the car to access the phonebook on the phone.  They are not duplicates either.  They are 3 distinct entries with different numbers.  I looked at my contact in google and I only have 1 so I am not sure but I can live with that.  I hope this helps for those of you having similar issues.

Good Luck   

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have similar since the Feb update with my headsets... AT&T sent me a new phone under warranty and it was great until I let it update then the same thing. They have now sent me another and it's working great but the "update" software icon is now in the title bar and you can't turn it off anymore...

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

Folks,

I have an update here.  After my initial troubles and troubleshooting I was still gettign drops from the bluetooth but it was infrequent.  Maybe on the order of every 2 days or so.  However I only use this while I am driving in my Honda Pilot.  I received another update maybe a week or so ago and was a little hesitant based on the previous update.  I have to say that this new update seems to have completely fixed this issue.  In the past week or so I have NEVER dropped a call from the bluetooth in the car and I use this capability about 1 hr per day.  

Here are the settings I currently have on the phone

Android Version 5.1.1

Android Patch Level 2016-02-01

Kernel Version 3.10.61-7085450

I am not sure what else is important.  

Hope this helps.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.