The Samsung Galaxy S24
dkaller's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, November 18th, 2015 7:05 AM

Galaxy S5 5.1.1 update

So my Galaxy s5 (currently running Android 5.0) will download the 5.1.1 update, and ask me to restart the device. I can see the "installing update bar" but before it starts, the phone boots back up and says the update failed. The first time it said there wasn't enough storage, I deleted over 2 gugs of data and retried but the update still failed, this time without telling me why. Please help me figure out how to update the phone.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

@alpha1145 wrote:

I had the same experience.   I had about 2GB free when I attempted the upgrade.  It failed and then rebooted the phone.  I cleared out some more space on the SD card to 3GB free.  However, now when I go into Settings > About Device and select Software Update, it just tells me "no firmware".  How do I go about forcing it to try the Lollipop update again?

Firstly, you must be a current AT&T customer and your phone must be connected to the AT&T network in order to receive updates.  Secondly, the amount of space available on your SD card is irrelevant... it's only the amount of free space on the phone itself that counts. 

Normally, you must wait 24 hours between checking for updates; however, it is possible to set the phone ahead 24 hours. 

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

How much free space do you have on your phone?  The 5.1.1 update requires 4 - 7 GB of free space; however, most people seem to be successful at around 6.4 GB of free space. 

Have you cleared your cached data?  If not, go to Settings > Storage > Cached data and select "OK" in order to clear the cached data. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I had the same experience.   I had about 2GB free when I attempted the upgrade.  It failed and then rebooted the phone.  I cleared out some more space on the SD card to 3GB free.  However, now when I go into Settings > About Device and select Software Update, it just tells me "no firmware".  How do I go about forcing it to try the Lollipop update again?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I finally got it to work after continuing to clear space from my phone.  Once I cleared 5.7GB free and then set the date ahead on my phone, I was able to download and then successfully install the 5.1.1 update.   It kinda sucks to have to uninstall so many apps to clear out the necessary space, but whatever.  At least I didn't have to drive to an AT&T location or a Best Buy.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

@alpha1145 wrote:

I finally got it to work after continuing to clear space from my phone.  Once I cleared 5.7GB free and then set the date ahead on my phone, I was able to download and then successfully install the 5.1.1 update.   It kinda sucks to have to uninstall so many apps to clear out the necessary space, but whatever.  At least I didn't have to drive to an AT&T location or a Best Buy.

Good job!  I'm glad to hear you were able to successfully install the update. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.