The Samsung Galaxy S24
Darkkhelmet's profile

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

Monday, February 15th, 2016 11:17 PM

Galaxy S4 not connecting to WiFi

My Galaxy S4 detects my WiFi and will connect but then disconnects with a message "will reconnect when network quality improves". All my other WiFi devices connect without issue. I have tried a cold restart but still have the issue.  Have not had any problems like this since I owned the phone. Any suggestions?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

Is auto network switch enabled?  If so, deselect it and see if that helps. 

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 years ago

If you are referring to Auto Connect for AT&T Hotspot, no. The only thing active in the advanced configuration is keep WiFi on during sleep.  Nothing on the phone has changed and my wife's S4 connects without any problems as do all other WiFi devices in the house.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 years ago

If you mean smart network switch then yes, it is enabled. Disabling it seems to hold the WiFi connection. I guess I just don't understand why and now what do I need to do to switch between WiFi and Mobil networks?  It seems my wife's phone has the same issue.  Has some update changed the way the networking works? Is this due to 2.4GHz - 5GHz the router provides? I did cold start the router. Thanks for the help.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

@Darkkhelmet wrote:

If you mean smart network switch then yes, it is enabled. Disabling it seems to hold the WiFi connection. I guess I just don't understand why and now what do I need to do to switch between WiFi and Mobil networks?  It seems my wife's phone has the same issue.  Has some update changed the way the networking works? Is this due to 2.4GHz - 5GHz the router provides? I did cold start the router. Thanks for the help.

The smart network switch is like Apple's wifi assist.  It allows your phone to choose the best network, or augment your wifi with cellular if wifi is unstable.  It may be a defective wifi antenna in your phone, or your home wifi is in need of trouble shooting.   Since your wife's phone works fine, it is more likely your phone.

Leave smart network switch off if that helps, we recommend the same for wifi assist.

A factory reset may help your antenna function normally.  It is sometimes a software glitch rather than a hardware problem.  I factiory reset an iPhone 5s two times before getting it to connect to wifi consistently.  

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

@Darkkhelmet wrote:

Yes, I meant the smart network switch.  Smiley Happy

A similar issue occured on the S5 after the update to KitKat 4.4.4.  I experienced the same issues you're having, as did others, when the smart network switch was enabled.  The WiFi connection was continually being dropped and the phone was constantly scanning for new networks, and would sometimes disconnect with the message, "will reconnect when network quality improves," when there was absolutely nothing wrong with the network quality.  No other devices in our home had connectivity issues, and the router was working just fine.  Disabling the smart network switch feature alleviated the connectivity issue, but the constant scanning still occurs. 

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 years ago

Your description is exactly what I experienced, thanks again. I still don't understand what happened though since the phone had no software update I am aware of. You saved me from running out and getting a new phone right away.  I have been looking at the moto x pure and the nexus 6p but will now hold off to see what becomes available in the next few months. I have decided to go with an unlocked Android to avoid all the crap the carriers bloat the phone with.  I just need some way to get all my apps to the new phone including the data and serial numbers.  Especially for things like Google Authenticator and VIP access.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

@Darkkhelmet wrote:

Your description is exactly what I experienced, thanks again. I still don't understand what happened though since the phone had no software update I am aware of. You saved me from running out and getting a new phone right away.  I have been looking at the moto x pure and the nexus 6p but will now hold off to see what becomes available in the next few months. I have decided to go with an unlocked Android to avoid all the crap the carriers bloat the phone with.  I just need some way to get all my apps to the new phone including the data and serial numbers.  Especially for things like Google Authenticator and VIP access.

You're very welcome.  I'm glad I could help. 

One of the issues that S5 users dealt with was that when the WiFi connection was dropped, the smart network switch immediately switched over to using mobile data.  This was an unnecessary use of data, and had the potential to be costly, especially if one's data plan was minimal. 

Disabling the smart network switch does not prevent your phone from using data when you want to use data, e.g., when you're somewhere where you don't have a WiFi connection and you need to access the internet.  What it does prevent is your phone needlessly switching over to using data simply because, for whatever reason, it mistakenly believes that no WiFi connection is available or that the connection is inadequate. 

Both phones you're considering have received positive reviews from users.  I have also decided that my next phone will not be a carrier branded phone.  I am very security conscious, so I want system updates when they are released, not 6 or more months down the road.  I will most likely purchase the Nexus 6P.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

@Darkkhelmet

I will second what @Lilybell2 wrote.  The GS5 was one of the best phones Samsung made and high user satisfaction.  But the lollipop update did some damage to many of them.  The top complaints were, totally bricked, battery drain, wifi failure, wiped data.

The GS4 had many of the same problems

I loved Samsung and just bought a GS6, but my daily driver is the Google Nexus 6p.  I generally had 25 GB out of 32 full on the Samsung phones.  I still only have 9.5 GB used on the 6p. Not only is there no bloat, but what is on the phone is efficient. 

Ok google actually works to wake and follow commands.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 years ago

I'm still hoping to find a phone with a micro SD slot but I fear the chances of that are slim. I'm leaning towards the 6P for myself and the moto for my wife.  I think the 6P is a bit too large for her to handle. Her S4 has started acting up as well.  It spontaneously powers off and although it will start again it only stays on for a few seconds. After going through several cycles of this it finally stays on.  So I may be shopping sooner than later.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

@Darkkhelmet From your description of the issues your wife is experiencing on her phone it does indeed sound like you may soon be shopping for a new device for her.  Check out both phones and see which one suits her.  @lizdance40 made some good observations about the 6P.  I would also add that I have very small hands and, after checking it out, I could tell that the 6P would work fine for me, so you never know.  Just sayin...  Smiley Wink

Best of luck to you.  Smiley Happy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.