The Samsung Galaxy S24
Edavis0221's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, April 26th, 2015 10:10 PM

Free Galaxy s5

I see where you can get a free s5 with a new contract but am wandering if the price is free for a contract upgrade

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

its free for current customers.  But beware you will lose any discounts on the line you are upgrading if your on a mobile share value plan.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

You have to put quotes around "FREE". Because it isn't entirely free. It should read " no deposit subsidy," which is more accurate.

When you purchase a phone with a 2 year subsidy plan, the cost of the phone is built into your monthly line fee of $40 a month. If you are currently getting an out of contract discount, you would be entering a contract and losing the discount.

This offer is for current customers or new lines of service.
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/cellphones.html

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I am not interested in a next contract. I am going to do an upgrade on a two year contract plan

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Not helping. Just wanted an answer.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

1 Attachment

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

Answer - yes. Qualified...there is no such thing as a free phone.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

It says on the website it requires a new line. It says nothing about upgrading an existing line

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

This is absolutely correct. I got bit by this. I rememeber "free phones" back in the day. I thought this was too good to be true, and it was. I "upgraded" both lines on my family plan with the FREE S5, I even contacted ATT and asked them, via chat, if my bill would change and to make sure no fees were going to bite me. She told me everything would be just as it has been, no extra fees, nothing would change. Well, I get my next bill, and it's way high. I contact ATT again and they tell me that lady was totally incorrect and the information that lizdance40 has given you is exactly right. So, I am in the process of retuning these two phones and getting my plan back to the way it was and no longer being under contract. The NEXT mess is a total rip if you don't care about getting the latest and greatest smart phone every few months.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

Next is not a rip off.  Neither is contract.  For years the line fee was $40, no matter what, no matter how cheap the phone was.  No discount was given after 2 years.

That changed almost 2 years ago and a discount is given for lines out of contract.  If you buy a cheaper phone, or your own outside of ATT, or keep phones for longer than 2 years, you should do the math and consider Next financing.

Full retail $649 plus sales tax

Next $649
Upgrade fee $15
Sales tax due up front

2 year contract for Mobile Share plans over 10 GBS
Upgrade fee $45
Discount phone price $199
Loss of discount for 24 months $600
- total $844

2 Year contract for Mobile Share plans under 10 GBS
Upgrade fee $45
Discounted phone price $199
Loss of discount for 24 months $360
- total $604

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.