The Samsung Galaxy S24
mrmeyerhofer's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Sunday, February 7th, 2016 3:51 AM

Can't Check Voicemail or Reset Password, "Incorrect Passcode" Lagging Keypad Glitch

There appears to be a very annoying glitch in my phone. This is the third time I’ve contacted ATT but I can’t check my voicemail, despite following all the instructions and resetting the password several times. I’m already familiar with the standard instructions so PLEASE so not cut and paste them.

• When I get a “new message” notification and click on it (all using the phone’s factory apps), it wouldn’t accept my passcode.
  • If I separately clicked on the phone icon, then the envelope icon, then inputted my passcode, it used to let me access my voicemail about 50% of the time. Otherwise, it would say it’s the incorrect passcode, though it obviously isn’t.
  • I tried resetting the password four times. Hilariously, despite the password I wanted being typed correctly on the screen, the computer voice kept reading back a long string of numbers I hadn't entered. So I kept trying it again and again.
  • Finally, I was able to change my password to the sequence I wanted. However, when I hung up and dialed voicemail again, it still kept paying the password was incorrect.
  • I haven’t installed any third party voicemail dialing apps.
  • After spending about two hours on this tonight, and two hours another night when I called in and Customer Service couldn't fix the problem, I've figured out what it is on my phone. The key pad lags, so even if something reads correctly on the screen, that's not what the phone receives. I'm guessing something needs to be updated, but everything on my phone is up to date.
  • This might be related: my 4G LTE almost never works, though my previous ATT phone worked fine.
  • I've spent about two hours on this tonight, and a couple hours a while back, when I contacted Customer Service and the problem wasn't resevolved. Looks like I got a lemon. Please credit me for one free month of service, since I'll probably have to take my crappy phone in and get a new one.

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

8 years ago

Hi there! @mrmeyerhofer thanks for posting your concerns. I’m sorry to hear this is happening. With the issues you describe, this indeed seems to be a device issue.

I’d recommend wiping the cache partition on the phone as this can resolve many of these types of issues.

Keep in mind that while this should not cause any information loss on the phone, it's advised to make a full back up before proceeding. 

Please follow these steps:

1. Power the phone off.
  2. Press power>home>volume up at the same time.
  3. You'll see installing system update. You can then let go of the buttons
  4. You'll then see the android system recovery menu
  5. Press the volume down key to navigate down to wipe cache partition.
  6. Press power to select. Once the cache has been wiped you'll see reboot system now.
  7. Select that option with the power button.

The screen will show wiping cache on screen and reboot itself.

Hope this helps!

Kevin

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

I tried this; it didn't work, and my 4G is now completely out (and yes, before anyone asks, data is turned on and airplane mode is turned off). FYI, I'll take this lemon into the store tomorrow but even if they can repair or replace it, I don't look forward to spending 4-5 hours replacing all my apps, contacts, data, etc., on my own time and dime (since the handy ATT app couldn't even transfer info from my LG Optimus to this Samsung S5, which are almost the same era). Also, I'm very upset that ATT apparently sold me a new phone that I suspect was actually a floor model or "refurbished" phone that they just stuck back on the shelf. It's really ridiculous that I, the customer, have to pay for this kind of nonsense.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

I just wanted to give another update in order to follow through on my AT&T experience.

I made an appointment at the online store, detailing in my form what the problem was. When I got there, I was told I had to go to a different store that specializes in repairs. Swallowing my temper, I did so. At the new location, the technicians examined the phone and determined that there was a programming error in the operating system. They spent about an hour wiping the memory and repairing it. When they returned it to me, they reassured me that it was good as new (as it should be, since it's only a month old). Even though I had to spend a while reinstalling all my apps and updating my information, I figured hey, at least the phone works.

NOPE! As soon as I got it home (where my fiance, who has AT&T as well, has a good signal, and where I had a good signal with my previous phone), it cashed out again. This time, I can't make or receive calls or texts, there's no Customer Service available, and I'll probably have to take this piece of crap to the repair store again tomorrow, after which--again--I'll have to reinstall everything and hope the third time's the charm.

TL;DR: I now have a very expensive paperweight, which I'm renting from a company which couldn't appear to care less.

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

8 years ago

Ouch, that sucks. Sorry that Murphy's Law seems to be so attracted to you and your phone through this. In any case, keep us updated on this as I am curious myself as to what's going on there. Hope it gets resolved soon for good.

P.S. Any chance you have an app running in the background that is causing part of the conflict?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks! I wondered about the background app, too, but nope. What's funny is
that all my phones have been either LGs or Samusungs, and this is the
second time I've bought a Samsung and had trouble with it fresh from the
box. I'm sure it's just a coincidence but it's definitely not the fun
we-both-ordered-the-same-bottle-of-wine kind.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Wow...

OK, let me see if I can compose myself here. I just spent about 45 minutes on the phone, talking to various customer service representatives at ATT. Eventually, they agreed to send me a replacement phone, since my current phone is still under warranty. No mention of a credit for a month of rotten service, and no idea how I'm going to transfer all my contacts to the new phone (I guess I'll have to figure that out myself), but here's something even more interesting.

When the rep explained that if my phone was broken due to my error (it isn't), he told me what the actual cost of the phone was: $434. That's significant because according to AT&T, the "amount financed" is $519.99. In other words, I'm paying $519.99 for a $434 phone that, so far, doesn't even work.

Another question: I know I haven't damaged my phone in any way, but what if they inspect it, once I've sent it back, and say that I have? One of their techs reprogrammed the phone in an attempt to fix the out-of-the-box glitch that was blocking the 4G. Will that count as "damage"? Not trying to be paranoid but ATT hasn't exactly earned my confidence here.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Sorry for posting yet another update, but I want to keep this as honest and transparent as possible. I contacted Customer Service again, seeking a credit for all the hassle. I was eventually given a $50 credit, which is less than I'd hoped, but still decent (provided that I don't have any problems with the new phone, i can transfer my information OK, and I'm not billed for the defective old phone).

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

8 years ago

Glad to see some progress on working out a resolution there...

I doubt that anything a tech did, would get you screwed. At least you probably have some sort of case number or other info to prove you had a tech look at it right?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

This is strange. I posted one final update on my situation, but that message appears to have been deleted. Anyway, we looked online and found other S5 customers complaining of the same problem (poor reception, texts not going through, etc). We did some further research and found that the routing number for texts that is programmed into the phone was totally wrong, just a bunch of gibberish. I definitely didn't change that (I didn't even know that was possible) so that kind of backs up my theory that I was sold a floor model that people had just been typing on randomly. So we changed the routing number back to what it's supposed to be, and texts seem to be going through fine now. Reception is still spotty but I think I'll cut my losses and decline the replacement phone so I don't have to add all my apps and contacts yet again.

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

8 years ago

Well, looks like I learned something from this post too.

Thanks! I'll try to make a permanent note in my mind about the routing number thing...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.