The Samsung Galaxy S24
yatesdb's profile

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

Monday, September 4th, 2017 10:21 PM

Closed

AT&T refuses to unlock my eligible phone

We have had THE WORST experience with AT&T. We requested to have my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge unlocked, (which is eligible according to the AT&T website) following the exact directions on the AT&T page, filling out the unlock request online. We received an email from AT&T, confirmed our request, then was sent an email approving our request with an unlock code. When we tried the code, it said it was invalid.

We have called AT&T 5 times and escalated our calls to management requesting a new unlock code because the one we were sent was not valid.

We have been dealing with this issue for 4 days and AT&T keeps pushing us to Samsung (who told us this is an AT&T issue), or the last rep we talked too told us that the phone may be PERMANENTLY locked to the AT&T network because too many attempts were made to unlock the device. They filed a claim with another department, but said it will take up to 72 hours to process.

The AT&T rep also told us we could try and sell our phone to a person who uses their network to try and get a little bit of our money back.

According to the FCC, on February 11, 2015, all carriers HAVE to provide unlocking codes and instructions to customers who request this information. We have gone into an AT&T store and were told it wasn't their problem. We have spent over 10 hours researching this and contacting AT&T and going to their stores following every instruction.

If it is true that my $800 device is permanently locked to AT&T, then NEVER BUY A PHONE WITH AT&T! This is illegal and we will be filing a complaint with the FCC and BBB and posting our experience on multiple sites to warn other customers that they can lock your phone and refuse to unlock it.

Our family has been using AT&T for over 20 years and our entire family will be cancelling our service with AT&T ($300 per month) because of the run-around and disrepect we have received.

All we want is a new unlock code that will actually work, but apparently AT&T keeps sending us the same code 4 times. This has been ridiculous! We are SO disappointed with AT&T after being such loyal customers.

We request a response from AT&T to this question ASAP, as we have researched online and found many people are having this same issue with no resolution.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

That is not exactly correct.  Cell phone unlocking is voluntary, not compulsory.  All carriers have agreed to unlock phones if possible.  (Read links below). There are things which can make it not possible, which I won't list as they don't all apply here.  There is only one unlock code for each IMEI.  If a phone is refurbished  with a new motherboard or the wrong IMEI entered the code will be wrong.  

This is just a guess based on past problems with phones replaced by insurance or warranty.  You may actually have a different problem.   

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/cell-phone-unlocking-faqs

https://www.ctia.org/initiatives/voluntary-guidelines/consumer-code-for-wireless-service

I suggest you contact @ATTCares. To see if they can help you.   

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@yatesdb AT&T also requires that you need to have completed your contract or Next payments to be eligible to unlock.

(Prepaid phones require 6-months of prepaid service AND usage to unlock).

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

7 years ago

Am I able to upload a screen shot to this thread? I have the exact wording saying, "As of February 11, no carrier can deny a request to unlock a users' phone, once the two-year contract is paid up."

I have already read all of the FCC FAQ's that you provided and checked your website many times to make sure my phone is eligible for unlocking. I received 4 emails (from 4 requests) saying it was approved, but the code is incorrect. I even went to your AT&T store to have your employee try it to avoid user error and it still doesn't work.

We have never used the warranty or insurance, never switched devices, our account is in good standing (never missed or was late on a payment in 20 years), have fulfilled our 2 year contract, and owe nothing on the phone as we paid for it all upfront.

What are our options? Is it true AT&T will just keep our phone locked to your network?

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

7 years ago

Yes, and we have met this requirement 100%. I even verified with several reps that our account balance was zero and that we fulfilled our contract. All we need is a new unlock code.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

7 years ago

We don't have a prepaid phone contract.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

7 years ago

Can we only send @ATTHelp a private message?

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

7 years ago

We do not own a prepaid phone and have been in contract over 2 years to fulfill our contract. We have checked all of the guidelines and we meet everyone according to your website. Do I have to tag you in this in order for you to see my reply?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

The point you seem to be missing here is ATT is not refusing to unlock your phone. They have approved your unlock request and provided an unlock code which, for whatever reason, is not working. That is a technical issue, not ATT refusing to unlock. The unlock codes come from the manufacturer. Perhaps you need to contact Samsung as to why the unlock code is not working.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@yatesdb wrote:
Yes, and we have met this requirement 100%. I even verified with several reps that our account balance was zero and that we fulfilled our contract. 

Didn't the S7 come out in March of 2017? Seems like unless you paid in full or specifically paid it off, that you'd still have payments?

Please note, with AT&T:

An account balance = $0 does NOT mean your phones are paid off.

It just means you've paid this month's bill. You may or may not have paid of the phone.

My account says I have a balance of $0.00 but I know I still have 14 months of payments to make on my phone.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

7 years ago

I have contacted Samsung twice and escalated this to the supervisor on shift. They said they have nothing to do with unlocking devices and do not have any codes they could provide us. The rep even stayed on the phone so we could 3-way call AT&T, but Samsung said they cannot do anything. This is an AT&T issue. Which we have called tech support multiple times about. We keep getting the run around and really just need someone to send us a new unlock code.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.