jguiditta's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, December 19th, 2013 1:22 PM

iTunes Issue

Hello, I recently started having trouble connecting to the iTunes store on all devices at home.  I have had uverse for a couple months now, and it had been working fine  until one day last week.  I already have the NAT/Gaming service set up :

iTunesTCP/UDP: 3689

I didn't see any other relevant services to add in that section, nor did I see any other obvious areas in the management interface to try.  Again, I have made 0 changes since this was working, it just stopped.  No power outage or anything either.  I restarted the gateway, but have not yet done a hard reboot, which I probably will try next, but unless something really odd happened, that shouldn't be needed.  I have an NVG589, if that helps at all.  Any ideas what could be going on?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@jguiditta wrote:

Hello, I recently started having trouble connecting to the iTunes store on all devices at home.  I have had uverse for a couple months now, and it had been working fine  until one day last week.  I already have the NAT/Gaming service set up :

iTunesTCP/UDP: 3689

I didn't see any other relevant services to add in that section, nor did I see any other obvious areas in the management interface to try.  Again, I have made 0 changes since this was working, it just stopped.  No power outage or anything either.  I restarted the gateway, but have not yet done a hard reboot, which I probably will try next, but unless something really odd happened, that shouldn't be needed.  I have an NVG589, if that helps at all.  Any ideas what could be going on?

As far as I know, you should not require port forwarding to use iTunes.

As well, port forwarding can only be used for one target IP address, not all devices on your network. It's also possible (depending on the firmware on the 589) that once you set up the port forward to a devices IP address, all other devices are precluded from using those ports.

So it's possible that your problem was exacerbated by setting up the port forward.

I would try a factory reset on the 589.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks Joe!  While I did not want to do a factory reset, I did remove the NAT/Gaming rule, and suddenly it works.  Couple minor notes for anyone else who hits this.  This ws NOT a new rule, it had been in place for at least 2-3 months, so I suspect something changed on the AT&T side.  Also, this is not targetted at a single IP address, though it _can_ be.  Under the service selection dropdown, there is a second dropdown which is called 'Needed by device'.  From here you can choose either your gateway, or a specific IP/device that the gateway manages.  I had chosen the gateway itself back when I first set this up.  This is actually an improvement now that it is fixed, I should never have had to add this rule in the first place.  Myabe I will try dropping my openvpn rule and see if that just works now too...

So Joe, thanks once again, and for replying so quickly.  My son is quite happy he can get updates for his iPad games again  🙂

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@jguiditta wrote:

Thanks Joe!  While I did not want to do a factory reset, I did remove the NAT/Gaming rule, and suddenly it works.  Couple minor notes for anyone else who hits this.  This ws NOT a new rule, it had been in place for at least 2-3 months, so I suspect something changed on the AT&T side.  Also, this is not targetted at a single IP address, though it _can_ be.  Under the service selection dropdown, there is a second dropdown which is called 'Needed by device'.  From here you can choose either your gateway, or a specific IP/device that the gateway manages.  I had chosen the gateway itself back when I first set this up.  This is actually an improvement now that it is fixed, I should never have had to add this rule in the first place.  Myabe I will try dropping my openvpn rule and see if that just works now too...

So Joe, thanks once again, and for replying so quickly.  My son is quite happy he can get updates for his iPad games again  🙂

No problem, we're here to help. Be sure to stop back if you have any other questions, or just want to be a contributor to the forum.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.