flhthemi's profile

Scholar

• 

179 Messages

Tuesday, August 13th, 2013 6:07 PM

Yes another router question....

If you place a router behind the 3800HGV and if your STBs are coax connected, do you loose the ability to use the cat5 jacks on the STBs...I'm thinking yup.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Well, you're correct... adding that router will only provide gigabit connections for those devices connected directly to its gigabit ports.  You might want to consider using a gigabit switch instead, if all you're looking for is increased wire speed.  And while Cat6 may be future proof (for those 10gigabit speeds you'll want someday), as SomeJoe says, it's overkill now for in-home length runs.

You mentioned wireless as an alternative: Keep in mind that the speed you're presently getting over the HPNA link is probably much better than you're likely to get wirelessly.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Well, it depends.

If you configure/connect your router behind the 3800 HGV as an access point, then all is as before without restriction.

If you configure it as a router, then... anything connected to the cat5 jack will have a connection to the Internet that doesn't pass through your router (which could be a good or bad thing).  It will not be able to communicate with anything connected to your router.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

If your talking about doing away with the coax and using ethernet?  No can do since the TV packets will flood the router and cause no internet access.  In order to use the Cat 5 plug on the box it needs to be a cable that goes back to the residential gateway preferably.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

@flhthemi wrote:

If you place a router behind the 3800HGV and if your STBs are coax connected, do you loose the ability to use the cat5 jacks on the STBs...I'm thinking yup.

No, but that is not supported by ATT, so if anything goes wrong or damage occurs, you will have to pay for it.   Only data can go thru router, TV has to come out of the 3800, most routers don't have QOS (802.1P) that TV needs. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

@mibrnsurg wrote:

@flhthemi wrote:

No, but that is not supported by ATT, so if anything goes wrong or damage occurs, you will have to pay for it.   Only data can go thru router, TV has to come out of the 3800, most routers don't have QOS (802.1P) that TV needs. 😉

Chris

The OP never said anything about trying to connect IPTV through his router.  I never read that into it and didn't consider it in my reply.

I wouldn't worry about any damage occuring as a result of this scenario.  You don't want to overuse the HPNA network to carry data, because it may affect the reliability of your IPTV.  If you want to, for example, stream netflix to a device connected through your settop, I doubt that would cause many issues.  On the other hand, connecting a NAS server and backing up your PC to it would probably be too much of a load [this also just wouldn't work if you set up your own router as a router and put the PC behind it].  But if it does cause problems, just disconnect it; no lasting damage will have occurred.

Scholar

• 

179 Messages

11 years ago

Allow me to be more specific. I'm pretty sure the answer is either go wireless or wire in some cat5 jacks.

I have three STBs. Two ARE connected via RG6 one is connected cat5. The two that ARE connected RG6 the cat5 jacks are being used NOW and have been used the entire time my service has been connected (2010). In the living room there is a WDTV Live Hub, A Tronsmart T428 Android stick, a PS3 and a smart LG 55LM7600 TV. All on cat5 from a 4 port 10/100 switch plugged into the STB cat5 jack. I am able to do what I want on the internet and my intranet. The same setup is used into the bedroom where there is only a WDTV Live Plus. I run a PlayOn server on one PC. It feeds these two STBs.

I assume if a new router takes over from the 3800 if I want the gigabit speed from it on cat5 the only way to get it is to install wire and jacks as there is no way to get the STB to pass those speeds on. I know I need new switches too. The only other option I can think of is to just make all the stuff go wireless....

If I buy a router I'm pretty sure it's going to be either an Asus RT-AC66U or Linksys but I'm hearing the Asus is much better. I intend to hook up a USB 2tb hard drive to the router to share the "wealth".

Maybe this info will help a little more 🙂

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Gigabit Ethernet is certified to run properly on Category 5e cable. Category 6 is not required, is more expensive, and is more difficult to terminate.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

And while Cat6 may be future proof (for those 10gigabit speeds you'll want someday), as SomeJoe says, it's overkill now for in-home length runs.

The funny part is that plain Cat 6 can only be used with 10 Gigabit Ethernet at reduced distances.  For the full 300 feet, Cat 6a is what's required.  This is why I kind of chuckle when someone is insisting on using Cat 6.  It's overkill for 1 Gbps Ethernet and not good enough for 10 Gbps Ethernet.  Why use it at all?

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

10-4 on that!!  That's what I try to tell my customers every day but no one wants to listen.  Hey it's only my job but the IT manager always knows best.......Smiley Mad 

I've gone as far as having one of my techs stop by with a partial box of cat 5e and Cat 6, put ends on the cable still in the box and put our certifier on it.  The Cat 5e passes gigabit speeds with flying colors so we do the same on the Cat 6.  The signal/frequency margins are almost the same on the 5e and 6.  Some still want the Cat 6 so on we go!!   All I tell them is your going to get basically the same thing but pay more for the patch panels, patch cords, and inserts for the wall plates because it says Cat 6 on it.  I have some that still put their 10/100 switches, old 5e patch cords, and still have PC's with 10/100 NIC cards but want Cat 6 and complain because the cost is too much.  I just don't get it.

Scholar

• 

179 Messages

11 years ago

I'm going to buy a gigabit switch AND some cat5e short cables and see how that goes, since if I go any further it would be needed anyway.

I knew you guys could provide some much needed insight to things....You're out there in the mess everyday!

Thanks!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.